V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Aug 29, 2013 at 7:09 PM Post #16,412 of 23,366
Quote:
V-Moda M-100 has just been announced,by DJ Mag, as THE HEADPHONE OF THE YEAR!!!! And I am proud to say I am owner of a M-100, and I am proud to say that I voted. 
VENI VIDI VICI

Congrats Val!

Aug 29, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #16,414 of 23,366
Quote:
V-Moda M-100 has just been announced,by DJ Mag, as THE HEADPHONE OF THE YEAR!!!! And I am proud to say I am owner of a M-100, and I am proud to say that I voted. 
VENI VIDI VICI

WORDS CANNOT EXPRESS HOW I FEEL TEAM!!!

I couldn't have done it without you, truly.  I never forget the days in the factory fine tuning every little part to try to satisfy all the consumer groups in all their use cases.  It was tough, all the thousands of voices of "you should do this" I ever heard loaded through my head in every move I made.  

In fact, M-100 wasn't even on our roadmap!  My next projects were SUPPOSED to be "REVOLVER" then "MILANO", which are completely different in structure. 

HISTORY OF M-100 "A PRODUCT ROADMAP MISTAKE CHILD"  
Most headphones by big brands are built by data and a "marketing needs analysis" I learned after hiring the top engineers and people I could find 8-9 years ago from other "established" headphone brands (and they are gone). But, for V-MODA, I historically always built a product that I want because what I want is so different that it would never exist by a normal company.

One day, Sander Kleinenberg, a VERY technical video and audio DJ who helped develop pioneer equipment, was in my office.  I said "I want your input on Revolver".  He looked at a nearly finished prototype and said "forget that, Crossfade LP is going to be a legend, just tweak a few things... change the length (and we measured what he wanted), add a shareplay feature, tune the sound to appeal to more than EDM, etc. I was shocked that Crossfade LP was SUPPOSED to originally be a consumer headphone, but the DJs loved it more!

Anyhow, after we made a M-100 prototype to meet the new DJ needs with a locked coiled cable for Paul Oakenfold and Erick Morilo, we put it in the "PARTNER ONLY" room of our private Venetian Penthouse @ CES (we don't usually do consumer shows as they are "fugazi").   

AFTER A FEW MEETINGS, somehow M-100 landed in the "PR SECTION" of the penthouse and photographers had already blogged it!

I yelled at my team in a passionate way, not in a mean way... but I was so sad we leaked M-100.  Then I said, ok let's run with it.  I'll put it on Head-Fi and get feedback, the cats out of the bag anyhow and it was never on our roadmap.  So who cares, it'll be a quick launch.  Nearly a year later, it launched (it was supposed to launch 2-3 months later). Once the audiophile community and Head-Fi community got involved, I had to listen more and give it my all.  Also, I had to balance my extensive database on both ear size and its relationship to sound as well as its versatility to appeal to multiple consumer use-cases.

RESULT: 10 Editors' Choice Awards (CNET, SOUND VISION, LAPTOP MAG, to name a few off top of my head) and now DJ MAG Headphone of the Year.  THAT IS VERSATILITY.

Allora... once again, thanks and it is very late here in Italy as I wrap up and go to pre-production on a new top secret product "XS". You heard it hear first, once again. It is not an over-ear, so don't hesitate buying a M-100 as it is a different weapon of choice for mobile audio. 

Thanks for your support, this truly was a collaborative effort. "GREATEST SOUND FOR THE GREATEST AMOUNT OF PEOPLE".  

VENI. VIDI. VICI. 

-V^V

PS - the greatest feeling is that a "mistake product roadmap" product is our #1 selling product and I can spend extra time on the other products, Rome wasn't built in a day and the best products in the world take a LOT of time and attention to detail... as a family owned company we only care about "quality" vs "quarterly" earnings, and I am thankful for that every single day to our customers and team

note: sorry for any typos, I wrote this VERY quickly as I have lots of work to do for YOU to meet XMAS deadlines!

Aug 29, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #16,415 of 23,366
Bravo Val!  Good luck with XS, and I hope it is an new IEM like the UE900, SE535, or the W4R as my Vibe II can really use an upgrade.

Aug 29, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #16,416 of 23,366
I would love to see V-MODA come out with a ~$500 open back, large ear cup, headphone that competes with the HiFiMan HE-400/500 and the Sennheiser HD 600/650. Val, if you can make a headphone like that with the V-MODA signature sound I'm sure I would buy it. That would be amazing! Please make something like that happen at some point Val!

Anyone else interested in something like this?

Aug 30, 2013 at 7:17 AM Post #16,417 of 23,366
Quote:
I would love to see V-MODA come out with a ~$500 open back, large ear cup, headphone that competes with the HiFiMan HE-400/500 and the Sennheiser HD 600/650. Val, if you can make a headphone like that with the V-MODA signature sound I'm sure I would buy it. That would be amazing! Please make something like that happen at some point Val!

Anyone else interested in something like this?

Not as much as I would be interested in XS if it is a secure fit universal IEM with sound that rivals or even surpasses M-100.  Now that V-Moda has raised the bar on innovation, I am anticipating this hypothetical IEM would have an innovative design to maintain a secure seal (for maximum bass impact) with comfort.  I am envisioning a dual-driver design with one of those functioning as a subwoofer.  Maybe the custom shields can be engraved on microfiche? 
biggrin.gif
  Something new to look forward to this holiday season.....

Aug 30, 2013 at 7:20 AM Post #16,418 of 23,366
Not as much as I would be interested in XS if it is a secure fit universal IEM with sound that rivals or even surpasses M-100.  Now that V-Moda has raised the bar on innovation, I am anticipating this hypothetical IEM would have an innovative design to maintain a secure seal (for maximum bass impact) with comfort.  I am envisioning a dual-driver design with one of those functioning as a subwoofer.  Maybe the custom shields can be engraved on microfiche?  :D   Something new to look forward to this holiday season.....

Imagine little faceplates like the ones the headphones have, but on their IEMs! Super cute! Haha

Aug 30, 2013 at 7:28 AM Post #16,420 of 23,366
Good luck with the microscopic hex wrench!  I feel like I already need the skill of Sylar* to change the plates on the M-100!

*Heroes reference

Oh, I got the reference! :)

Haha, or they could have just one hex screw in the centre of the plate! Like the ASG range with the screws on the plates.

Aug 30, 2013 at 10:26 AM Post #16,423 of 23,366
I'd be interested in something out of the box.

On the top of my head..... how about something new, like, multiple drivers via a IEM and bone-conducting headphones combined... 

But as always, it would have to be fashionable and durable as well.

I still do not like the idea of going wireless. I think the world today is still lagging behind in battery innovation. I hate having to charge my device every night.

Aug 30, 2013 at 10:46 AM Post #16,424 of 23,366
Quote:
I'd be interested in something out of the box.

On the top of my head..... how about something new, like, multiple drivers via a IEM and bone-conducting headphones combined... 

But as always, it would have to be fashionable and durable as well.

I still do not like the idea of going wireless. I think the world today is still lagging behind in battery innovation. I hate having to charge my device every night.

Sort of off topic: check out Sound Band if you are interested in a high quality bone/surface conduction headset.  They are working on both a wired and wireless verison, and I will have a set when it is out for beta testing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back