V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Aug 20, 2013 at 5:00 AM Post #16,261 of 23,366
Quote:

Whether the headphones I'm wearing are isolating, closed, or IEMs, I always do the same thing before commuting:

• Find the loudest track I'll be playing,
  • Set the volume to a reasonable level for said track and
  • Set the ceiling of all tracks to that same level.

If I can't hear enough bass on a train or bus, sobeit.  That only means I'll have to wait to listen until I reach a quieter environment, and the decorative aspect of my headphones will be foregrounded while my ears are on temporary vacation.  That's the point when I'll turn off the music and allow my headphones to muffle (if only slightly, in the M-100s' case) the sounds of the outside world.

Loudness is lovely, but tinnitus is eternal.

If you haven't touched the volume once you arrive at your destination and discover you were playing your music too loudly during the commute, then the chances are good you've been doing the same thing for a long while:  damaging your hearing over time.

No environment should become a reason to listen at unhealthy volumes.  Studio musicians have to be vigilant about that, but so do headphone aficionados. 

If they're not, then they might have to learn to live like Kevin Shields of My Bloody Valentine: 

Shields also addresses another concern I have for certain Head-fi members: The ill-considered habit of falling asleep while wearing headphones, which essentially exposes the ear to hours of potential damage caused by sound -- which the sleeping mind cannot even remember or appreciate -- and increases the likelihood the listener will do even more damage once they're awake.

Quote:

Remember:  Damage is caused not only by volume but by duration.

Are you suggesting that listening to music for 6 hours straight through headphones, regardless of volume, is bad for your hearing? Because I do that literally every night. I never turn the volume up to point where it hurts my ears. 

Aug 20, 2013 at 5:11 AM Post #16,262 of 23,366
Quote:

Are you suggesting that listening to music for 6 hours straight through headphones, regardless of volume, is bad for your hearing? Because I do that literally every night. I never turn the volume up to point where it hurts my ears. 

I'm saying that hearing damage is cumulative, and that the amount of time one listens is also a factor.  If one truly has set the volume of one's headphones to the level of a home stereo playing in a room in which one can hear a soft conversation, then the chances of damage diminish.  In practice, however, few people do that.  They merely think they do, which is why I set volume limits in a quiet environment first: so that I know rather than assume.

Aug 20, 2013 at 6:46 AM Post #16,264 of 23,366
Quote:
It irks me when people on the bus play their music so loud that I can hear it over the local chatter, over the bus noise, over my noise isolating headphones, over my own music. I mean, I probably couldn't even stand listening to such a volume level. T_T

Neither can the people on the bus -- you can tell by the off-pitch singing and out-of-time rapping. It's what I'll hear forever if I'm a terrible person and go to Karoake Hell.

It's like listening to a concert of cover songs by T-Baby. 

Aug 20, 2013 at 12:39 PM Post #16,267 of 23,366
Quote:
Can someone link me to the part of this thread where Val said that if you owned a pair of M100s and you purchased something over $20 or over you'd be able to get the XL pads for free?

I don't think that's valid anymore, but at least the cupon code worded for a while, and you get a pair of Faders for free.

Aug 20, 2013 at 1:47 PM Post #16,269 of 23,366
Aug 20, 2013 at 1:50 PM Post #16,271 of 23,366
Aug 20, 2013 at 3:09 PM Post #16,273 of 23,366
Quote:
Now that's interesting...... I spent $55 on other stuff when ordering my pads, so would love to know if I could have got the pads free.

Val mentioned it as a thought, so there is no guarantee that he will do it.

Aug 20, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #16,275 of 23,366
Val mentioned it as a thought, so there is no guarantee that he will do it.

From reading his posts, I personally think the free faders are the offer he decided on and V-MODA won't be giving them away. It would be extremely generous to offer the pads for free when buying anything at $20 or above, especially as he's already stated the pads are more expensive to manufacture than expected.

I don't have faders already, so I'm quite happy to have them as a freebie and pay for the pads.

Hm. They said to pm Val

Please do let us know what he says. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back