V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Jul 23, 2013 at 10:44 AM Post #15,691 of 23,366
Quote:
Ok, i've re-read all the reviews and i realize that my M-100 is completely legal. The only problem here is my ears =_=. I've read a lot of reviews and they all said this headphone has a massive amount of bass, so i think the bass must be so good, and so much while keeping the mid and high at a great level, not some bloated, ****ty bass like Beats. But when i read miceblue's impression, he said that "M-100 has a more neutral bass response", so those basshead like me may think the M-100 lacking in bass. This line strike exactly to my ears. And when i re-think again, those who said this headphone is prominent on bass are audiophile, not a basshead like me. Well, problem solve
biggrin.gif

As long as you're satisfied.  Did you email V-MODA yet though?  Seems like an easy way to verify.  Nothing to lose.  Also, can you please post pics?  FWIW, I would not consider the bass response to be neutral.  

Jul 23, 2013 at 11:21 AM Post #15,692 of 23,366
Not to throw your impressions off ... I'm somewhat of a basshead myself and my M100's have a great amount of bass. Enough that I feel the SPL when I play certain music. I'm amping them using a FiiO E12. I play a lot of EDM and Screwed and Chopped music so I'm used to very low notes and frequencies and the M100 feels like its going to vibrate off my head when I play that music.

IMO if you're not getting that kind of bass, then you may want to have them exchanged. V-moda is usually very good about the entire warranty process. (I think you may have to pay for shipping though)

Idk but my M-100 sounds exactly like what miceblue has described it. The bass is not thumping like the XB Series, it's just a natural bass. It's just there, nothing more....

I kinda worry about the warranty cause my country doesn't in the list from the V-moda sites.

As long as you're satisfied.  Did you email V-MODA yet though?  Seems like an easy way to verify.  Nothing to lose.  Also, can you please post pics?  FWIW, I would not consider the bass response to be neutral.  

I've emailed them and now i'm just gonna waiting for a reply. About the pics, like i said, it's really legit. Nothing is in bad quality or poorly made. I've compare it with those from unboxing pics/ videos and nothing is diffrent. My only concern is that when someone scan the QR Code from the bottom of the box at the 1st time, does it say this serial has been scanned 0 or 1 times?

Edit: I don't think a pair of fake M-100 has a SteelFlex head band, click hinge or an extra shield.

Jul 23, 2013 at 3:39 PM Post #15,693 of 23,366
I have some dying LP1s which I have enjoyed, and would love to get m100s but if I scrap the LP1s I could get LP2s for $100. How much of a step up are LP2s from the LP1? I've heard M100s in stores and the sound is amazing and the folding and dual jacks and stuff is nice, but as long as the LP2 fixed the issue of the plastic at the base of the headphone cracking I might go for them and save $200.

Jul 23, 2013 at 6:17 PM Post #15,694 of 23,366
Quote:
I have some dying LP1s which I have enjoyed, and would love to get m100s but if I scrap the LP1s I could get LP2s for $100. How much of a step up are LP2s from the LP1? I've heard M100s in stores and the sound is amazing and the folding and dual jacks and stuff is nice, but as long as the LP2 fixed the issue of the plastic at the base of the headphone cracking I might go for them and save $200.

If you enjoyed the LP1s you will probably enjoy the LP2s? I haven't heard either of them so I don't know what the difference would be. But I do know that they are very bassy/dark compared to the M-100s, which have way better mids and treble. So ultimately it comes down to: do you want to keep the same dark, bassy sound of the LPs, or do you want to "discover" and appreciate the mids and highs in your music, which might require some adjusting to a new sound signature?

Jul 23, 2013 at 7:26 PM Post #15,695 of 23,366
Quote:

No, sorry.  The STOCK earpads are not changing but the DD/XL will be larger in both DEPTH AND DIAMETER.  That is what DD stands for.  

So yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus coming with DD/XL pads for M-100/LP2/LP - but I do not have a date yet.   Also, there is a 3-button mic cable available on V-MODA.com.

First of thanks for being such a fanatic audio lover and bringing a product that 
fuels such interest among so many.

i ordered my first pair of V-moda can's a couple of days ago M-100 :wink:
I live in Netherlands and there is only one online store that sells the M-100

i could have ordered them from Germany for €40 ( $53 ) but that's kind of a hassle.
And if i order from Holland i have a 14 day return policy.
Because i'm a bit concerned about the fit concerning the pads i love a comfy.

So i can't wait until you bring out the new DD pads , Get ready for a major order frenzy aka Apple style hahahah !!

Also i have bin looking like crazy for the 3-button mic cable but could not find it anywhere on the v-moda site.

I have to tell you the truth and to all others here on the site that i was considering the "denon-ah-d600".
But i do agree with "Dalethorn2" on youtube that i'm 100% amazed by V-moda's costumer communication.
i come from a family of business people and entrepreneurs so i love people that keep to the core and communicate with 
the customer no matter how big they get..!

So only for that fact alone i would consider V-moda products be four the big company's like Denon.
But thank god that the rest is also as good :wink: sound portability and so on..

Only 3 items on my wish list  
1) DD pads 
2) 3 button mic 
3) a cable with less micro-phonics. perhaps a sleeve over the cable? The build of the cable looks to be 
very good but i read that a lot of people are complaining about "cable fraying" so this issue and the micro-phonics problem raises the question about a new cable with minimum modification.. keep it simple and cost down :wink:
cable shrink would be an option there are different types of material..and options..

But keep up the good work.
i have bin active on headfi for a couple of months now , and reading a lot about audio gear..
Doing research reading articles watching youtube and so on..
i have yet to meet a CEO that is so dedicated to bringing the best product like you my compliments ..
Hope you have the energy to keep up the good work..
There a people out there that love to see dedicated honest hardworking good people bringing good products out..
Not just making stupid commercials talking about it and in reality thy don't give a ….. 

So al the best ..greetings from Holland :wink:
Sam.

Jul 23, 2013 at 7:44 PM Post #15,696 of 23,366
Hi Sam and welcome to the M-100 club.

As far as I know, V-MODA doesn't sell the 3 button cable on their site which sucks.  However, I am sure there are enough of us here that don't use theirs (me included), so feel free to PM or post to see if anyone want to trade.

A lot of people don't know that you can easily fix the cable fray with a lighter.  I learn this in the Army, and all you need to do is to hold the flame close and burnout the fray.  Just make sure that you move the flame around so it doesn't actually burn the cable itself.

Jul 23, 2013 at 7:50 PM Post #15,697 of 23,366
Quote:
Hi Sam and welcome to the M-100 club.

As far as I know, V-MODA doesn't sell the 3 button cable on their site which sucks.  However, I am sure there are enough of us here that don't use theirs (me included), so feel free to PM or post to see if anyone want to trade.

A lot of people don't know that you can easily fix the cable fray with a lighter.  I learn this in the Army, and all you need to do is to hold the flame close and burnout the fray.  Just make sure that you move the flame around so it doesn't actually burn the cable itself.

They used to sell it on their site. They may have changed production. I know they are doing some updating to some of their line. So the 1-Button Speakeasy might be the final cable along with the VTF cables. I'm not 100% sure what Val and V-Moda are doing, but I'm sure they have a few things in store. 

Jul 23, 2013 at 8:14 PM Post #15,698 of 23,366
Quote:

They used to sell it on their site. They may have changed production. I know they are doing some updating to some of their line. So the 1-Button Speakeasy might be the final cable along with the VTF cables. I'm not 100% sure what Val and V-Moda are doing, but I'm sure they have a few things in store. 

Yeah you are right, as I now remember I did order a gray 3 button cable way back...

Jul 24, 2013 at 10:57 PM Post #15,699 of 23,366
Quote:
Which one? The new mini on-ear or the older over-ear-wannabe? I actually had the older. Actually Val had a listen to my older Momentums too during a dinner party with some other chaps.

I sold my Momentums off in the end. They sounded a little too congested & a little too V-shaped for my liking. But I've not tried the newer on-ear.

Found the Momentum to have much better soundstage, but less detail. Also they did sound more balanced to me. But, the overall build quality and sturdiness wasn't on par with the m100.

Jul 25, 2013 at 7:40 AM Post #15,700 of 23,366
Quote:
Ok, i've re-read all the reviews and i realize that my M-100 is completely legal. The only problem here is my ears =_=. I've read a lot of reviews and they all said this headphone has a massive amount of bass, so i think the bass must be so good, and so much while keeping the mid and high at a great level, not some bloated, ****ty bass like Beats. But when i read miceblue's impression, he said that "M-100 has a more neutral bass response", so those basshead like me may think the M-100 lacking in bass. This line strike exactly to my ears. And when i re-think again, those who said this headphone is prominent on bass are audiophile, not a basshead like me. Well, problem solve
biggrin.gif

hmmm, i personally also expected the m-100 to have more bass tbh. I feel that some people are exaggurating when they describe the bass on the m100. 
It does have that "fun" sound but i think its bass isn't as prominent as some people would describe. The bass on the hd-25 / amperior is what I'd consider to be "massive" in amount but still well under control.

Personally I would like the m100s much more if it didn't have recessed mids. overall though, with the build quality and portability, i seriously think the m100 is a great package.
sound quality wise......is a just slightly above average i think. I prefer the momentum a lot more when it comes to the sound, but i chose m100 because of the build.

Jul 25, 2013 at 7:43 AM Post #15,701 of 23,366
Quote:
hmmm, i personally also expected the m-100 to have more bass tbh. I feel that some people are exaggurating when they describe the bass on the m100. 
It does have that "fun" sound but i think its bass isn't as prominent as some people would describe. The bass on the hd-25 / amperior is what I'd consider to be "massive" in amount but still well under control.

Personally I would like the m100s much more if it didn't have recessed mids. overall though, with the build quality and portability, i seriously think the m100 is a great package.
sound quality wise......is a just slightly above average i think. I prefer the momentum a lot more when it comes to the sound, but i chose m100 because of the build.

I know what you mean about the bass, as the M-100 bass is stronger but more defused, vs. the Momentum that are more like a focused punch.  As for the mids, it will help somewhat by amping but still not a 100%. 

Jul 25, 2013 at 7:59 AM Post #15,702 of 23,366

That's true bro :D

Honestly, i like the M-80 more than the M-100. But i choose the M-100 because of their durability, their share music feature and their size. Actually i prefer the on-ear style like the M-80 or the HD25 since i have a small head. But the M-100 is collapsable while the M-80 can't. And also the M-100 has the share music feature, which is one of my favorite things since i always travel with my friends.

Jul 25, 2013 at 8:01 AM Post #15,703 of 23,366
Quote:
I know what you mean about the bass, as the M-100 bass is stronger but more defused, vs. the Momentum that are more like a focused punch.  As for the mids, it will help somewhat by amping but still not a 100%. 

So basically M100 has more (bloated) subbass, at least that's what I interpret from reading all the comments and having understandment regarding bass characteristics and how midbass vs subbass sounds and is percieved.

I often see people comparing the M100 bass against Sennheiser HD25-II and M80 as they have vastly different kind of bass, the HD25 and M80 have a more punchy bass due to more midbass focus, they both don't have overly large bass quantities, reasonably modest boost but they pack a lot of punch for the bass quantity they pack, at least the HD25-II I was VERY surprised about actually how strong of a midbass punch they pack for the amount bass they measure, I've demoed far greater bass boosted headphones with noticeably less punch in the bass (due to greater subbass emphasis). Midbass = fast decay (solid "hit", compare hitting a hammer against a table kind of experience or whatever), subbass = slow decay (Home theater "rumbliness" bass, softer impact). 

It's therefore the bass quantity can be hard to measure subjectively as the subbass and midbass sounds so different. Often I see people hating midbass around here and associate it with something that bleeds and muddens up the mids. But there is various quality midbass output. Good quality midbass output is best explained as standing near a drumset, you feel a physical impact as the drumstick hits the drum that is very short but has a strong impact to it, the same kind of impact is very well percieved on for example HD25-II despite not being OVERLY bassy, it's just they offer very good quality midbass emphasis. Anyway this is most certainly the reason some people think M80 is bassier than M100, they actually like good quality midbass output and would like to hear more midbass skewed output on M100 but the subbass range is stealing the show and makes it more deep rumbly / soft / diffuze / bloated / (insert typically used adjectives here)

Jul 25, 2013 at 11:13 AM Post #15,705 of 23,366
Quote:

So basically M100 has more (bloated) subbass, at least that's what I interpret from reading all the comments and having understandment regarding bass characteristics and how midbass vs subbass sounds and is percieved.

I often see people comparing the M100 bass against Sennheiser HD25-II and M80 as they have vastly different kind of bass, the HD25 and M80 have a more punchy bass due to more midbass focus, they both don't have overly large bass quantities, reasonably modest boost but they pack a lot of punch for the bass quantity they pack, at least the HD25-II I was VERY surprised about actually how strong of a midbass punch they pack for the amount bass they measure, I've demoed far greater bass boosted headphones with noticeably less punch in the bass (due to greater subbass emphasis). Midbass = fast decay (solid "hit", compare hitting a hammer against a table kind of experience or whatever), subbass = slow decay (Home theater "rumbliness" bass, softer impact). 

It's therefore the bass quantity can be hard to measure subjectively as the subbass and midbass sounds so different. Often I see people hating midbass around here and associate it with something that bleeds and muddens up the mids. But there is various quality midbass output. Good quality midbass output is best explained as standing near a drumset, you feel a physical impact as the drumstick hits the drum that is very short but has a strong impact to it, the same kind of impact is very well percieved on for example HD25-II despite not being OVERLY bassy, it's just they offer very good quality midbass emphasis. Anyway this is most certainly the reason some people think M80 is bassier than M100, they actually like good quality midbass output and would like to hear more midbass skewed output on M100 but the subbass range is stealing the show and makes it more deep rumbly / soft / diffuze / bloated / (insert typically used adjectives here)

+!  My personal preferences have always leaned towards sub-bass. My appreciation is for the kind of bass that I can feel (not only in headphones but car and home audio). I like that the M100 are efficient enough to reproduce those low frequencies with a strong feel without sounding distorted or over the top.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back