V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Jul 16, 2013 at 9:41 AM Post #15,571 of 23,366
Jul 16, 2013 at 10:18 AM Post #15,573 of 23,366
Quote:
I know they're probably diff type of sound signatures but anyone had a chance yet to compare M-100s to Bang & Oulfsen H6?  Reviews for the H6 seem near non existent.  Loving the M-100 still after 7 months of use, but as always something catchs your eye. 
biggrin.gif

I was never impressed with B&O stuff.  For me, they are more style than performace compare to Bowers & Wilkins and more expensive.  Multiple times I tired to get something from them, like their, Form 2, Earset 3i, or Beolit 12, but B&W just beats them out every single time.  Although I never tried the H5, I highly doubt that it will be better than the B&W P5, let alone the M-100.  Don't get me wrong, I like brand and expensive stuff too, but if it can't perform, then it will just be a waste of money.

Jul 16, 2013 at 10:19 AM Post #15,574 of 23,366
I know they're probably diff type of sound signatures but anyone had a chance yet to compare M-100s to Bang & Oulfsen H6?  Reviews for the H6 seem near non existent.  Loving the M-100 still after 7 months of use, but as always something catchs your eye. 
biggrin.gif

Not a direct comparison, but I've heard both on separate occasions. H6 has a leaner sound, closer to neutral, but some colouration, notably a magical sheen in the treble and some bass emphasis (not as much as M-100). If you've ever heard B&O speakers, you'll have an idea of the "sheen" in their house sound I'm talking about.

Jul 16, 2013 at 10:26 AM Post #15,576 of 23,366
Jul 16, 2013 at 10:32 AM Post #15,577 of 23,366
Jul 16, 2013 at 10:34 AM Post #15,578 of 23,366
Quote:
while i dont own a pair of mad dogs, they were/are on my list and ive researched about them quite a bit.
i would think that the mad dogs vs. the m-100 is an unfair comparison, as the m-100 is a basshead can, while the mad dogs are more neutral? after talking to several mad dogs owners on head-fi, they all said that no matter how much eqing they did, the mad dogs just didnt have what it takes to push out big bass. whereas the m-100 can probably blow your eardrums in before running out of wind. the signatures in general are different and aimed at a different use. which are better in sound quality depends on what you want from the sound...

I agree completely that its a different sound signature from the Mad Dogs, but being a certified basshead myself (I may have even been called a dirty basshead lol), I would say that the 3.2 version of the Mad Dogs have very good bass. Not the force that the M100s give you but the tightness and hitting all the low notes and frequencies (as long as they're amped properly).

I play my share of EDM, hip hop, and screwed and chopped music on the MDs also.

I also agree with Anak to say that I wouldnt wear the MD's outside. And they're not the cutest headphones on the market... Okay they're downright ugly LOL BUT .... They are SUPER comfortable and they sound amazing.

I love BOTH my M100's and MD's

Jul 16, 2013 at 10:50 AM Post #15,579 of 23,366
Quote:
Ooh I get to be the voice of dissent here. I really don't find the Mad Dogs that comfortable because the Alpha Pads and the lack of clamping force causes my glasses to shift around a lot. While it isn't really uncomfortable it is annoying. Meanwhile I find the Momentums really comfortable, because I apparently have small ears, and they don't interfere with my glasses. 

And this is the awesome thing about the world we live in. We're all made differently with different sized and shaped heads and ears, and different sensitivities. I would say that comfort is as subjective a topic as sound is and this is a prime example. Most of the opinion on the Mad Dogs w Alpha Pads is that they are the most comfortable can EVER (an opinion that I happen to share) but here's someone with an entirely differnt viewpoint and to me that's a good thing.

Getting back to the M100's - I find them to be very comfortable. I made some initial adjustment for the clamping force and they have been great ever since. I dont dispute that they could possibly be uncomfortable for some people but I think that is all a matter of personal experience.

Lastly - Given all the research and crowd sourcing that was done for the M100, I honestly dont believe that V-moda would have produced a phone that was commonly considered uncomfortable. It just seems unlikely and seems like something that they would not have wanted to hurt their (fairly young) brand. That's my two cents ......

Jul 16, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #15,580 of 23,366
i ordered my M-100's yesterday after reading about the Sennheiser Momentums and stumbling on these nice looking cans.

i do like the fact that they are durable and that the cable is removable and 3.5mm on both sides.
i just hope that they fit well and don't hurt around my ear. i read something about a paper towel solution ahahha hope that's not necessary.

I just read this article which gave a good feeling about my choice.

i looked and looked all around for a store that has one of these so i could demo them.
But no such luck!
i live in Holland near the beach about 2 hours driving from Amsterdam..
And no one sells these nice looking cans..

Luckily i found an internet shop that sells V-moda cans he imports them and i could order a nice matt pair of M-100's :wink:

But i had to pay top $$ for them €340 that's a whooping $444 YAH you read correctly.
Such is live i guess ;-(

One of the things that won me over was the fact that the CEO of V-moda (Val Kolton) seemed like a Modern Steve Jobs a sort of Type a personality in a good way mind you..

i really like someone that has so much passion in there work and products and you can't say mr Kolton doesn't have passion for his product :wink: 
i even read i comment he made on "Tom's Hardware place" it was a Sennheiser Momentum vs V-moda M-100 question.

Unlike companies that have outgrown them self really V-moda seems to listen to the customers and have a passion in developing good products…
So i jumped in to the V-moda boat..

i just hope they sound as good as all the hype i keep hearing (when googling for them).
My music taste is broad to say the least , from classic to jazz to rmb pop …One min i could be listening to Brahms and the next to Daft Punk in Tron the Legacy..

i hope to have them in somewhere in the middle of next week…

There is however one thing i found a shame and that is that i had to pay $444 and did not even get a custom plate with them..
How cool would it be to have a Gunmetal black shield with a small "starTrek" logo on them hahaha..
There is one logo i really like and thats the Startrek united nation emblem..(reminds me of my military days)..
When people see it they ask me is that some sort of medal?? hahahha
i reply now those are somewhere in my basement rusting away hahaha !

But alas no custom face plate i found the $444 bucks kind of enough..

Take care all..
Greets sam.

Jul 16, 2013 at 10:57 AM Post #15,581 of 23,366
Maybe different people have different sensitivities to pressure on the ears, anything which physically presses my outer ear in becomes properly painful after about an hour for me. Example of this would be M-100, M-audio Q40 and CAL. Clearly it just does not bother some people because I cannot see how anyones ears could fit into the M-100 pads without touching the foam bits covering the drivers.I do think I am getting a bit overly concerned about the comfort of the M-100 as I do not even own them anymore LOL. I think I will just stop talking about it now, it has gone a bit too far, I was just trying to make a point... lol.
deadhorse.gif

Jul 16, 2013 at 11:45 AM Post #15,582 of 23,366
^ Mad Dogs with the latest pads. They're like pillows on your ears compared to the M-100. I was switching between the two and it was like pillows vs a plastic clamp. Mad Dogs are in the same price as the M-100 too.

Mice, which one do you find has the better sound quality?
It's probably been mentioned before in the threads, but I don't quite have the time to dig around for it, so my apologies.

They each have their own strengths so it depends on the kind of sound you're looking for. The newest Mad Dogs still have a darker sound signature next to the M-100s but it also has a much more textured and rich sound. The sub bass is actually pretty good with the new pads too but the M-100 definitely has more of it.

The sound is different. To me the mad dogs are more pure and closer to neutral than the M100s. The M100 look better and are better for DJing and more portable. The mad dogs HAVE to be amped to sound good, but when they are, I think they sound a little better than the M100s

Ah, so the Mad Dogs sound better once allowed to their full potential via amps. 

I currently have the M-100's, but have always been curious about the Mad Dogs, so thanks for briefing me on them:)

I must ask, is the cable that connects to the Mad Dogs, a 3.5mm port on the headphones, themself?

Yup the cable connecting to the headphone itself is indeed a 3.5 mm jack. In fact the default cable it comes with is the red/black V-MODA audio only cable. :D

^ Mad Dogs with the latest pads. They're like pillows on your ears compared to the M-100. I was switching between the two and it was like pillows vs a plastic clamp. Mad Dogs are in the same price as the M-100 too.

Ooh I get to be the voice of dissent here. I really don't find the Mad Dogs that comfortable because the Alpha Pads and the lack of clamping force causes my glasses to shift around a lot. While it isn't really uncomfortable it is annoying. Meanwhile I find the Momentums really comfortable, because I apparently have small ears, and they don't interfere with my glasses. 

Ah I can see how that can be problematic. The newer pads are slightly less thick and more pliable than the Alpha pads, which I thought were pretty huge and non-pliable.

Mad Dogs
Sennheiser HD600s
Sony MDR-1R
Denon 2k/5k/D600s
Beyer DT770
etc etc etc

are all more comfortable than the M100s.

BUT, that's just 1 characteristic to look for in a headphone though.
I still think the M100s are KING in portability!
Couple that with a good price, good sound, etc. and it's a pretty good buy... but for some (i.e. ME), I rank comfort almost as high as sound reproduction :wink:

BTW, what is this thing about "ejection" I read a few posts back?!?

Oh the ejection thing is just when the earcup detaches itself from the metal yoke of the headphone as a sort of safety feature to protect the earcup, I'm guessing.

Jul 16, 2013 at 11:58 AM Post #15,584 of 23,366
They each have their own strengths so it depends on the kind of sound you're looking for. The newest Mad Dogs still have a darker sound signature next to the M-100s but it also has a much more textured and rich sound. The sub bass is actually pretty good with the new pads too but the M-100 definitely has more of it.
Yup the cable connecting to the headphone itself is indeed a 3.5 mm jack. In fact the default cable it comes with is the red/black V-MODA audio only cable. :D

Oh, so those are the main differences between the two..

I definitely wouldn't mind giving the Mad Dogs a go, but that will come with time..

Haha, I saw in one of the Head-Fi meet videos with the V-Moda cable being used in the MDs, and I was curious if it could utilise something like the...Oyaide RA jacks?

Jul 16, 2013 at 12:01 PM Post #15,585 of 23,366
Quote:
Haha, I saw in one of the Head-Fi meet videos with the V-Moda cable being used in the MDs, and I was curious if it could utilise something like the...Oyaide RA jacks?

If it is less than 7mm then it should.  However, those plugs looks quite big...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back