V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Jul 16, 2013 at 5:06 AM Post #15,556 of 23,366
Mice, which one do you find has the better sound quality?
It's probably been mentioned before in the threads, but I don't quite have the time to dig around for it, so my apologies.
The sound is different. To me the mad dogs are more pure and closer to neutral than the M100s. The M100 look better and are better for DJing and more portable. The mad dogs HAVE to be amped to sound good, but when they are, I think they sound a little better than the M100s

Jul 16, 2013 at 5:34 AM Post #15,557 of 23,366
Quote:
The sound is different. To me the mad dogs are more pure and closer to neutral than the M100s. The M100 look better and are better for DJing and more portable. The mad dogs HAVE to be amped to sound good, but when they are, I think they sound a little better than the M100s

Ah, so the Mad Dogs sound better once allowed to their full potential via amps. 

I currently have the M-100's, but have always been curious about the Mad Dogs, so thanks for briefing me on them:)

I must ask, is the cable that connects to the Mad Dogs, a 3.5mm port on the headphones, themself?

Jul 16, 2013 at 6:03 AM Post #15,558 of 23,366
while i dont own a pair of mad dogs, they were/are on my list and ive researched about them quite a bit.
i would think that the mad dogs vs. the m-100 is an unfair comparison, as the m-100 is a basshead can, while the mad dogs are more neutral? after talking to several mad dogs owners on head-fi, they all said that no matter how much eqing they did, the mad dogs just didnt have what it takes to push out big bass. whereas the m-100 can probably blow your eardrums in before running out of wind. the signatures in general are different and aimed at a different use. which are better in sound quality depends on what you want from the sound...

Jul 16, 2013 at 6:23 AM Post #15,559 of 23,366
Quote:
Wear any headphone long enough, and it will become uncomfortable and you'll have to adjust. Each time I put the M-100 on, or after I give myself 5 minutes break, they feel very comfortable. I haven't tried on the CAL!s or Denon D7000, but the M-100 are the most comfortable closed headphone I've ever worn. I do find that the AKG Q701 and AD700 are more comfortable during listening marathons, but I also find those options unsuitable for portable use. I might be interested in XL (DD?) pads, but I'm still enjoying the overall comfort of the M-100 in the meantime, and if the XL pads sound worse I might pass on using them.

The issue isn't worth losing your cool over. It would be nice if the headphones were fully circumaural and didn't touch the ears under any circumstance, but that would directly affect their portability (and use in public), and I already have headphones like that.

Agreed.  My Sig DJs are fully circumauaral, but do have a bulkier look that makes them somewhat overkill for portable use compared to the M-100.

Jul 16, 2013 at 6:27 AM Post #15,560 of 23,366
while i dont own a pair of mad dogs, they were/are on my list and ive researched about them quite a bit.
i would think that the mad dogs vs. the m-100 is an unfair comparison, as the m-100 is a basshead can, while the mad dogs are more neutral? after talking to several mad dogs owners on head-fi, they all said that no matter how much eqing they did, the mad dogs just didnt have what it takes to push out big bass. whereas the m-100 can probably blow your eardrums in before running out of wind. the signatures in general are different and aimed at a different use. which are better in sound quality depends on what you want from the sound...

Hmm..good point, I guess you're right that they'd be hardto compare, if even ccomparable.

It seems like I'll be sticking with my M-100's for the time being as they offer that engaging and fun sound quality, as opposed to the neutrality of the Mad Dogs (going from what has been stated).

Jul 16, 2013 at 6:30 AM Post #15,561 of 23,366
Quote:
Hmm..good point, I guess you're right that they'd be hardto compare, if even ccomparable.

It seems like I'll be sticking with my M-100's for the time being as they offer that engaging and fun sound quality, as opposed to the neutrality of the Mad Dogs (going from what has been stated).

im glad you agree, but it wasnt "stated", it was... suggested...
again, ive never heard the mad dogs, all i said was based on reviews and conversations on the mad dog threads, and my own conversation (mostly pms) with mad dog owners. 

if youve got the option, why not try them out, and then return them if you dont like them?

Jul 16, 2013 at 6:45 AM Post #15,562 of 23,366
im glad you agree, but it wasnt "stated", it was... suggested...
again, ive never heard the mad dogs, all i said was based on reviews and conversations on the mad dog threads, and my own conversation (mostly pms) with mad dog owners. 

if youve got the option, why not try them out, and then return them if you dont like them?

Sorry, the "stated" was referring to the neutrality part:)
I apologize for my bad wording there; I am typing on my phone.

I've been curious about them, yes, but not curious enough to spend my bucks to try a pair. Am doing happy with the M-100's at the moment, don't see why I should start my headphones hunt again.

Jul 16, 2013 at 8:07 AM Post #15,565 of 23,366
In light of all the recent negativity in this thread, I found this article very interesting in regards to deceptive online reviews done by MIT.  The link goes to dpreview.com which has a link to the actual study.  http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/07/15/new-study-investigates-online-reviews

Still loving my M-100's.  Comfort issues zero and am still having a blast listening to them for at least 3 hours a day.  For all those people who are having comfort issues, it'd be interesting to hear what they think are the most comfortable HP's they've listened to.  Honestly, I tried the Sony MD-1R and they felt like nothing was on my head.

Jul 16, 2013 at 8:35 AM Post #15,566 of 23,366
Quote:
In light of all the recent negativity in this thread, I found this article very interesting in regards to deceptive online reviews done by MIT.  The link goes to dpreview.com which has a link to the actual study.  http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/07/15/new-study-investigates-online-reviews

Still loving my M-100's.  Comfort issues zero and am still having a blast listening to them for at least 3 hours a day.  For all those people who are having comfort issues, it'd be interesting to hear what they think are the most comfortable HP's they've listened to.  Honestly, I tried the Sony MD-1R and they felt like nothing was on my head.

That's why I am interested in the MDR-1R just to try it out.

Jul 16, 2013 at 8:56 AM Post #15,567 of 23,366
Quote:
^ Mad Dogs with the latest pads. They're like pillows on your ears compared to the M-100. I was switching between the two and it was like pillows vs a plastic clamp. Mad Dogs are in the same price as the M-100 too.

Ooh I get to be the voice of dissent here. I really don't find the Mad Dogs that comfortable because the Alpha Pads and the lack of clamping force causes my glasses to shift around a lot. While it isn't really uncomfortable it is annoying. Meanwhile I find the Momentums really comfortable, because I apparently have small ears, and they don't interfere with my glasses. 

Jul 16, 2013 at 9:17 AM Post #15,568 of 23,366
Quote:
^ Mad Dogs with the latest pads. They're like pillows on your ears compared to the M-100. I was switching between the two and it was like pillows vs a plastic clamp. Mad Dogs are in the same price as the M-100 too.

Mad Dogs
Sennheiser HD600s
Sony MDR-1R
Denon 2k/5k/D600s
Beyer DT770
etc etc etc

are all more comfortable than the M100s.

BUT, that's just 1 characteristic to look for in a headphone though.
I still think the M100s are KING in portability!
Couple that with a good price, good sound, etc. and it's a pretty good buy... but for some (i.e. ME), I rank comfort almost as high as sound reproduction :wink:

BTW, what is this thing about "ejection" I read a few posts back?!?

Jul 16, 2013 at 9:27 AM Post #15,569 of 23,366
I know they're probably diff type of sound signatures but anyone had a chance yet to compare M-100s to Bang & Oulfsen H6?  Reviews for the H6 seem near non existent.  Loving the M-100 still after 7 months of use, but as always something catchs your eye. 
biggrin.gif

Jul 16, 2013 at 9:34 AM Post #15,570 of 23,366
Have my M-100's up for sale on the for sale board if anyone is interested. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back