V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Apr 18, 2013 at 1:09 PM Post #13,981 of 23,366
Got mine yesterday, i must say they are a well built.
My home phones are HD650 and i think the M-100 are a good pair to use on the go.

They lack a little bit in the mids but not as much as some may say.
I Mainly listen to Rap/Hip-Hop and i can't say i miss much, but when i put on some Bon Iver or Mumford and Sons i miss a little warmth.
But for a portable headphone i must say it's a catch, and well produced clean hiphop records has never sounded better, say what you will about Beats, but Dre can produce clean records.

ya cause he uses at-m50s in the studio when nobody is watching

Apr 18, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #13,982 of 23,366
My home phones are HD650 and i think the M-100 are a good pair to use on the go.

I Mainly listen to Rap/Hip-Hop and i can't say i miss much, but when i put on some Bon Iver or Mumford and Sons i miss a little warmth.
But for a portable headphone i must say it's a catch, and well produced clean hiphop records has never sounded better, say what you will about Beats, but Dre can produce clean records.

Does he?

Apr 18, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #13,985 of 23,366
Quote:
Okay, third post similar to this.

I posted my impressions in the FiiO E12 thread, but I definitely think the C5 is worth the price difference.

Comparisons to C5:
In short, I'd say the C5 is worth the price difference between the E12 ($60 USD).
  1. More pocket-friendly interface
  2. More portable form-factor
  3. More space for jacks on the front-plate
  4. Easier-to-use volume controls
  5. Deeper, larger "theater" bass boost [perhaps pre-mass-release E12 would have been like this]
  6. Larger soundstage with better instrument separation
  7. Closer in sound to my reference amp, Objective 2
  8. Clearer midrange
  9. More detail in the treble
  10. More fatiguing during long listening sessions
  11. No channel imbalance
  12. No noise on high-gain mode

In terms of sound synergy, if that's your thing, the brighter C5 pairs better than with the warmer E12. Differences aside, both are good amps for the price and I definitely think the E12 is worth the price over the E7 if you're looking for an amplifier.

Thanks Miceblue! I always trust your insights! I am probably going to look for some amps later on, so the C5 seems pretty good! 

Apr 18, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #13,986 of 23,366

Does he?

yep..... i cant believe that this picture never made a big stink for his market

Apr 18, 2013 at 2:06 PM Post #13,991 of 23,366

Does he?

yep..... i cant believe that this picture never made a big stink for his market

Nice. XD

How recent is that image though, and is there a viable source for it? The quote for the Beats is on it so I'm skeptical that it's a Photoshopped image.

Apr 18, 2013 at 2:16 PM Post #13,993 of 23,366
Just thought I'd add my impressions of the M-100 and what led me to choose to buy them. I had been on the hunt for a portable headphone for traveling that met my needs. My requirements were that it fold, was closed-back, was over-ear and comfortable and of course sounded good to me :D. I had tried several phones but had issues with them in terms of one or more of the requirements. For example, I enjoyed the sound of the m-80s but they hurt my ears and didn't fold(although they were relatively portable and I liked the case). The sound quality and attention to detail in construction of the m-80 made me really interested in the m-100s. I was heading on a six week trip and had settled on a pair of JVC HA-500S with an upgraded cable and the HM5 pads with 'O-ring' and over the existing pads. I liked the idea though of having some control(at least play/pause) on the cable so I picked up a fiio rocky headphone amp that allowed me to have some functionality that way(I have a windows phone so I usually don't get full functionality with the ones designed for iPhones/android but can usually get play/pause and track skipping but not volume). I live in Canada and was heading out to Vancouver to start my trip and discovered the only retailer in Canada I could find that was actually stocking them and so took a chance and pre-ordered them over the phone and had them hold a pair and left my JVCs at home and just took along some iems. My biggest concern was if I'd find them comfortable, I figured based on what I had read that the sound signature would work well for the bulk of my listening(heavy emphasis on electronic and hip hop but also including ,many other genres incl. jazz, rock, alt rock etc). I have to say that they met and exceeded my expectations! I found them comfortable for reasonably long listening sessions for my on the large end of average sized ears and am so pleased with the build quality and sound. I also love the little attention to detail right from the excellent box and case to the option of plugging the cable into either side(how handy is that?!) and the two cables provided. I have always travelled with a splitter to allow girlfriends/travel partners etc to listen in to my music and with the included share-play cable I no longer need to! I was also pleased with the functionality of the orange cable-I was able to play/pause and skip tracks(no vol.) on my Samsung Focus. Answering a phone call on them also worked perfectly with the other party having no problem hearing me. I love the material of the cables, the angled connectors and being able to customize the side plates is a cool little bonus! I really have trouble finding fault with the functionality/features of these cans at all, although do be careful with those fancy hinges as I caught the skin of my thumb in them once while closing them and it smarted-lol! Sound-wise although I appreciate hi-fi sound I'm not sure I'm that able to really speak intelligently about cans in general but will say that I really enjoyed them for electronic and hip hop and didn't notice the enhanced low end 'muddying' the other frequencies. I've only been back from my trip about a week and a half and haven't had much of a chance to a/b them with my other cans other than a fairly short session where I listened to my grado gs1000is, some q701s and the m-100s and though they were quite different from the other two I certainly didn't think of them as particularly inferior. I figured that I'd use them as my travel headphones but now find myself using them at home a bit over the gs1000is for certain music. My lineup now is the gs1000i, the m-100, and some iems and I'm happy! Nice one V-Moda!

Apr 18, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #13,994 of 23,366
its old and looks like it but not photoshopped(i use photoshop profusely). but hearing anything that has been produced by dre since dr dre hps came out still sounds like the chronic album and sounds clean on my srh-840s which tears up a bad recording pretty easily. if he had produced using beats there would have been no way for him to hear the clean true signal.

Apr 18, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #13,995 of 23,366
Quote:
Just thought I'd add my impressions of the M-100 and what led me to choose to buy them. I had been on the hunt for a portable headphone for traveling that met my needs. My requirements were that it fold, was closed-back, was over-ear and comfortable and of course sounded good to me
biggrin.gif
. I had tried several phones but had issues with them in terms of one or more of the requirements. For example, I enjoyed the sound of the m-80s but they hurt my ears and didn't fold(although they were relatively portable and I liked the case). The sound quality and attention to detail in construction of the m-80 made me really interested in the m-100s. I was heading on a six week trip and had settled on a pair of JVC HA-500S with an upgraded cable and the HM5 pads with 'O-ring' and over the existing pads. I liked the idea though of having some control(at least play/pause) on the cable so I picked up a fiio rocky headphone amp that allowed me to have some functionality that way(I have a windows phone so I usually don't get full functionality with the ones designed for iPhones/android but can usually get play/pause and track skipping but not volume). I live in Canada and was heading out to Vancouver to start my trip and discovered the only retailer in Canada I could find that was actually stocking them and so took a chance and pre-ordered them over the phone and had them hold a pair and left my JVCs at home and just took along some iems. My biggest concern was if I'd find them comfortable, I figured based on what I had read that the sound signature would work well for the bulk of my listening(heavy emphasis on electronic and hip hop but also including ,many other genres incl. jazz, rock, alt rock etc). I have to say that they met and exceeded my expectations! I found them comfortable for reasonably long listening sessions for my on the large end of average sized ears and am so pleased with the build quality and sound. I also love the little attention to detail right from the excellent box and case to the option of plugging the cable into either side(how handy is that?!) and the two cables provided. I have always travelled with a splitter to allow girlfriends/travel partners etc to listen in to my music and with the included share-play cable I no longer need to! I was also pleased with the functionality of the orange cable-I was able to play/pause and skip tracks(no vol.) on my Samsung Focus. Answering a phone call on them also worked perfectly with the other party having no problem hearing me. I love the material of the cables, the angled connectors and being able to customize the side plates is a cool little bonus! I really have trouble finding fault with the functionality/features of these cans at all, although do be careful with those fancy hinges as I caught the skin of my thumb in them once while closing them and it smarted-lol! Sound-wise although I appreciate hi-fi sound I'm not sure I'm that able to really speak intelligently about cans in general but will say that I really enjoyed them for electronic and hip hop and didn't notice the enhanced low end 'muddying' the other frequencies. I've only been back from my trip about a week and a half and haven't had much of a chance to a/b them with my other cans other than a fairly short session where I listened to my grado gs1000is, some q701s and the m-100s and though they were quite different from the other two I certainly didn't think of them as particularly inferior. I figured that I'd use them as my travel headphones but now find myself using them at home a bit over the gs1000is for certain music. My lineup now is the gs1000i, the m-100, and some iems and I'm happy! Nice one V-Moda!

Nice review! The m100 is indeed an awesome headphone. It is still sad that people (consumers) knock it since it doesn't have overpowering bass like beats. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back