V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Feb 19, 2013 at 9:48 PM Post #12,395 of 23,366
Quote:
stll 200?

and also, the price the product is currently at usually jumps significantly when you are in the final hours of the auction closing. I would imagine it would be hard to get them for under $250 as someone will jump in last minute with that offer.

all the ones I saw that were under the $250 mark still had 3-4 days left in the auction. If you see one that is still $200, then I would def try to snipe them if you trust the ebay seller.

btw the ebay seller with it at $205 has absolutely no reviews & isn't/hasn't sold anything else before, and basically created his account 2 days ago. I would be a bit wary.

Feb 20, 2013 at 1:15 AM Post #12,397 of 23,366
[size=10pt]The new Alpha pads that Mr Speakers has released for the MadDogs prove that done right deeper earpads can not just boost comfort but also improve sound signature, isolation, soundstage etc.[/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt]Fingers crossed that the DD earpads can do something similar.[/size]

Feb 20, 2013 at 1:16 AM Post #12,398 of 23,366
Quote:
[size=10pt]The new Alpha pads that Mr Speakers has released for the MadDogs prove that done right deeper earpads can not just boost comfort but also improve sound signature, isolation, soundstage etc.[/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]

Alpha Pads are angled though, which do make a difference too (I had a similar experience with the SRH940 cotton ball mods).

Feb 20, 2013 at 2:15 AM Post #12,399 of 23,366
Quote:
and also, the price the product is currently at usually jumps significantly when you are in the final hours of the auction closing. I would imagine it would be hard to get them for under $250 as someone will jump in last minute with that offer.

all the ones I saw that were under the $250 mark still had 3-4 days left in the auction. If you see one that is still $200, then I would def try to snipe them if you trust the ebay seller.

btw the ebay seller with it at $205 has absolutely no reviews & isn't/hasn't sold anything else before, and basically created his account 2 days ago. I would be a bit wary.

We are approaching an OOS (out of stock) issue due to demand in a good but bad way so I'd buy them myself all day long at that $ if it really went for it. We'll have more in April but it'll be tight from now til ~April 5th for all colors.  Shadow/White are already OOS on V-MODA.com and I think Matte Black has ~4 weeks supply.  The GOOD news is that Microsoft store will be launching M-100 in a few days, more news to come on retailers and listening stations around the world.
Quote:
[size=10pt] [/size]

Not really, bigger pads for most users in my testing on M-100 will cause boomier bass, decreased clarity... At least for our test team and results from secret tests at Head-Fi meets and editor/user meetings.

Quote:
Alpha Pads are angled though, which do make a difference too (I had a similar experience with the SRH940 cotton ball mods).

Angled can help... especially the mids.  Look at M-80s pads....  There is a method to the madness!  

Remember, "GREATEST SOUND FOR THE GREATEST AMOUNT OF PEOPLE".  I did a little research with data and we pretty much own the market in customer satisfaction in over-ears.  I'll show the data soon. Its not just sound and comfort, but durability, customer service value, features and more.

BOOM - CULTOFMAC.com'S FIRST 5 STAR PRODUCT -EVER EVER-
"V-Moda likes to say their new Crossfade M-100s ($310) are the first pair of “crowdsourced” headphones on the market today. Put simply, that means they culled product feedback from forums and social media, and solicited input from audiophiles, journalists, and enthusiasts to create them.

I applaud the endeavor—working with so much public input definitely had the potential to backfire on them; have you seen the Homer car? But V-Moda, somehow, someway, was able to weave the wisps and whispers of public and professional feedback into a a set of headphones so good, they just earned the highest review score I’ve ever given."

The Verdict

For their most excellent sound signature, beautiful and cool aesthetic, and obsessive attention to even the most mundane details, the V-Moda Crossfade M-100s have earned the highest honor I can bestow upon them here at Cult of Mac: the seldom issued five-star review. This is actually the first time I’ve given all five stars to one product, but the M-100s are worthy; among their peers in the $300 price range, I have seen no equal.

Read more at http://www.cultofmac.com/page/2/#p2i5AVFjgO6vV3Qu.99

PS - to respond to his one little quibble on the volume control, we sell the cable with Volume control separate on V-MODA.com.  Because it does not work with Androids and >50% of the market is Android and Windows, we decided "greatest amount of mic for the greatest amount of people" and give you the long audio cable optimized for office work and sharing.  I think it was a good choice and so far few people have complained.  If you need a 3-button we sell them at a very reasonable price.

Feb 20, 2013 at 5:53 AM Post #12,400 of 23,366
Quote:
Not really, bigger pads for most users in my testing on M-100 will cause boomier bass, decreased clarity... At least for our test team and results from secret tests at Head-Fi meets and editor/user meetings.

Angled can help... especially the mids.  Look at M-80s pads....  There is a method to the madness!  

Remember, "GREATEST SOUND FOR THE GREATEST AMOUNT OF PEOPLE".  I did a little research with data and we pretty much own the market in customer satisfaction in over-ears.  I'll show the data soon. Its not just sound and comfort, but durability, customer service value, features and more.

Just curious, from the way you responded, it sounds like you are not planning on changing the dimensions/depth of the earpad, so I was just wondering how the DD pads will be different from the stock pads.

For me personally, I would want pads that increase the earcup depth as the comfort issue that I am experiencing involves my outer ear rubbing against the inside wall of the driver. I actually ended up stuffing paper towel strips underneath the pads to try to alleviate this issue. Also, from looking into this issue, this does seem like a fairly common issue to varying degrees for a lot of people.

I really do think that V-moda is an outstanding company with great customer service. I would hope that while you have achieved the "greatest sound for the greatest amount of people" and the majority of consumers are satisfied with the fit, that you wouldn't be opposed to releasing earpads that help alleviate a comfort issue experienced by some people. Just like the 1-button cable probably gives the greatest functionality for the greatest amount of people, it is nice to see that you also sell a 3-button cable for i-OS devices for a subset of users that would appreciate it.

Finally, it sounds like you are really concerned that changes in the earpad would compromise the sound quality. I really think that is cool that you are so detail-oriented and care about your product. However, I feel like people who run into comfort issues due their ear shape/size will either purchase a different product or do a paper towel mod which alters the sound. While a different earpad may sound worse to you and other users that find the current fit perfectly comfortable, I would imagine that a deeper earpad can definitely improve the sound for someone who has their ear pressed against the driver enclosure (which is obviously not an ideal fit, so that would not lead to an ideal sound).

I am just glad to see that you are so involved in the community and receptive to customer feedback. Thank you for taking the time to read my comments and I am sure that you will release DD earpads, they would have been rigorously tested to high quality standards.

Feb 20, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #12,401 of 23,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by money4me247 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Just curious, from the way you responded, it sounds like you are not planning on changing the dimensions/depth of the earpad, so I was just wondering how the DD pads will be different from the stock pads.

For me personally, I would want pads that increase the earcup depth as the comfort issue that I am experiencing involves my outer ear rubbing against the inside wall of the driver...Also, from looking into this issue, this does seem like a fairly common issue to varying degrees for a lot of people.

+1. My left ear has the misfortune of pressing into the M-100's driver housing, and it certainly mars what would otherwise be a superlative experience with the headphones. I can see the potential for them to simply melt away on my head if the pad depth was just a little greater...As it is, I'm constantly readjusting the fit to give my ear relief. I feel like Val has a pretty good sense of the issue, though, so I doubt he'd go to the trouble of designing an alternate earpad for the comfort-impoverished only to fail at addressing the actual problem (i.e. the current pads' shallow depth).

On a different note, my M-100 doesn't suffer any of the excessive wind noise issues that my M-80s are guilty of -- so that's a plus! I have to assume the improvement is more than incidental, so thanks Val!

Quote:

Are you exploring the inclusion of different materials underneath the pleather of the pad itself? I think that's why the paper towel mod has found success both sonically and comfort-wise...rather than simply increasing the expanse of pleather between the drivers and the ear canals, the paper towel (or cotton, foam, etc.) acts as a dampening agent to reduce the chamber effect that fatter pads alone can create. Like money4me247 indicated, this may not duplicate the ideal sound that a discomfort-free user gets with the stock pads, but for people with non-optimal fits, it seems to offer a workable compromise.

Quote:

Small point, I know, but: I'm pretty sure miceblue meant angled in terms of offset from the parallel plane of the ear...not made with an angular (i.e. non-rounded) shape. From what I recall of my M-80 (not having it with me at the moment), its pads are of uniform thickness all around, yes? (Which would mean they're not angled in miceblue's sense of the word.)

Quote:

Congrats! I just hope your data culls from more sources than the positive Amazon reviews V-MODA's been soliciting on Facebook...
wink.gif

Feb 20, 2013 at 2:50 PM Post #12,402 of 23,366
Quote:

Congrats! I just hope your data culls from more sources than the positive Amazon reviews V-MODA's been soliciting on Facebook...
wink.gif

Actually, I think only 7 or 8 people left reviews after we posted that FB message, bummer.  But the customer reviews do help inform new consumers about V-MODA products.  There are 755 reviews on Crossfade LP, it is heart-warming how much people love them (and most WOULD love M-100 even more).

I read every review so I can learn from the customers and take it into account in our product dev, roadmap and service.

Quote:

No, sorry.  The STOCK earpads are not changing but the DD/XL will be larger in both DEPTH AND DIAMETER.  That is what DD stands for.  

So yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus coming with DD/XL pads for M-100/LP2/LP - but I do not have a date yet.   Also, there is a 3-button mic cable available on V-MODA.com.

BoomPro releases in few days in limited quantity.

-V

Feb 20, 2013 at 3:24 PM Post #12,403 of 23,366
Quote:

We are approaching an OOS (out of stock) issue due to demand in a good but bad way so I'd buy them myself all day long at that $ if it really went for it. We'll have more in April but it'll be tight from now til ~April 5th for all colors.  Shadow/White are already OOS on V-MODA.com and I think Matte Black has ~4 weeks supply.  The GOOD news is that Microsoft store will be launching M-100 in a few days, more news to come on retailers and listening stations around the world.

Thanks for the update, Val.  I placed an order for the Shadows through Amazon a week ago and from your statement, it looks like they won't be available until April.  This is making me re-think on whether I should wait until April for the color I want or order one of the other colors.  Partnering with Microsoft sounds like a good move.  Do you know if they will have the Shadows in stock at launch?  If so, I will purchase them there if they are coming out soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back