V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Feb 11, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #12,241 of 23,366
Quote:
Quote:
I can't make any claims on the E12, but just because an amp has more power doesn't necessarily mean it sounds better.
The big buzz word for the E12 is its high output power. Most portable amplifiers supply more than enough power to drive a headphone, even with the E7's "mere" 150 mW at 16 Ω. A sensitive, low impedance headphone like the M-100 doesn't need much power at all to drive it.

Indeed, power isn't everything. But the E12 still is a smooth, well implemented, and high quality amp. Even approximately volume matched, the Mont Blanc + Line-Out clearly has a "purer" technical fidelity than the amp built into my PMP (which I realize fidelity is objective while fun/preference is subjective). Is that worth it? Up to the individual. I also frequently read that loudness is not equal to max potential SQ, that current makes a difference, and it's "difficult" to supply "enough" current without being too loud... I have not yet gotten to the bottom of that, so I can't back that up. I'm a little skeptical of the "current claims" without being educated on the science, but in practice I do hear a difference in fidelity at listening levels (and quieter), which I ascribe to better quality parts/implementation than the amp of my iPod, iPad, E5, Recon3D...

Is it the most synergistic and cost effective pairing with the M-100? Probably not, but that has a fair amount depending on personal taste. Is the E12 a good amp? Yes, very good, also very versatile for a $120 portable.

Yeah I'm really cautious about buying DACs/amps/cables as there is a ton of marketing jargon that gets thrown around by the manufacturers. After reading some of the articles written by the designer of the Objective 2, I'm opting for more real-world testing before purchasing a product. Even with the E11 amp, the specs listed on the box aren't real-world tests.

As for the synergy stuff, I'm not a fan of it but evidently many people seek it. The O2 happens to have very good synergy with the M-100's for the most part.

Feb 11, 2013 at 6:54 PM Post #12,244 of 23,366
Quote:
Thanks, dude. May i ask what XL pads are? (Sorry but i didn't seem to see it on their web page.)

They arent ready yet. Lastest I've heard, they are still in late-stage development(Val's team isnt happy with the sound yet).
Once they're set, he's stated that the pads will be offered at-cost to current owners of the M-100's. My guess is they'll be ~$5 for the lot of us

Feb 11, 2013 at 8:10 PM Post #12,246 of 23,366
Quote:
I used mine with a Dragonfly and loved the combo. I sold it and grabbed an E17 which I like very much as well. I did that to be able to use the amp portably with my phone but if I could go back I would. The Dragonfly is better.

As far as sound quality, the first thing I noticed was how quiet the background became. It was a huge difference. That allowed me to hear micro details much better. It seemed to tame the bass a good bit and by that I mean make it very tight. I almost seemed to reduce the amount but what was really happening was a truer picture of control was being portrayed. This brought the mids forward more IMO as well. Overall I liked the Dragonfly much better than my son's $200 Schiitt stuff unless you really need gobs of power.

+1

I would agree with this.  Everyday use for me is through my DragonFly into a NuForce HAP-100.  

Feb 11, 2013 at 8:28 PM Post #12,248 of 23,366
Quote:
Do you guys know when they'll have the white m-100s back in stock???

Woah, they're out of white silver now? I thought Val said their shadows were flying off the shelves. Give it a week and they'll probably be back. That tends to be about the time frame for shields to restock.

Feb 11, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #12,249 of 23,366
Quote:
Woah, they're out of white silver now? I thought Val said their shadows were flying off the shelves. Give it a week and they'll probably be back. That tends to be about the time frame for shields to restock.

On the website it says: "Shadow and White Silver will ship in 6-8 weeks (if including custom engraving, add 2-3 business days extra)" Meaning, I assume, that it's on back order for 6 to 8 weeks :l. Damn. Really wanted a white one with matte black custom shields...

Feb 11, 2013 at 9:54 PM Post #12,250 of 23,366
Quote:
Quote:

On the website it says: "Shadow and White Silver will ship in 6-8 weeks (if including custom engraving, add 2-3 business days extra)" Meaning, I assume, that it's on back order for 6 to 8 weeks :l. Damn. Really wanted a white one with matte black custom shields...

Dang, that's unfortunate. :/
Val did mention a while back that they were receiving more orders than they could crank out.

Feb 12, 2013 at 3:55 PM Post #12,254 of 23,366
Quote:
I need to order a pair, badly. i dont want my wife to find out, though...hmmm......

I had to get my FXZ200s under the radar for the same reason. Its easier to hide IEMs than a fullsized portable though :wink:

Jeeze, you'd think we were sneaking aroubnd chaeting on our spouse haha.... Nope. Just looking for an eargasm

Feb 12, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #12,255 of 23,366
Quote:
I refuse to use my M100's as a portable set...they are too nice...hehe. At home listening only!

Do I still belong here?

I actually feel the M100 would make a great portable set.  It folds up beautifully (which I love by the way).  They are very light weight and actually considerably comfortable for a couple hours of straight use.  They have a nice small case that clips to bags.  Enjoying them a lot.  I don't even use the case to store them when at home either, they just sit folded up nicely on my desk.

My friend did say, though, that she was afraid that the clickfold hinges would catch on her hair.  She actually made a good point though.  I'm actually curious to see what Val had to say about this, he's got some long hair too (from what I've seen in pics), but normally has the hair held back (so it may be a no-problem for him).  But that problem was just one that I never really saw, but she made a good point.

I've got at least a good 50-60 hours on these (half of them being on my actual ears too :wink:  I love how the headphones are tuned too.  You can tell the lower-mids to mids are recessed, but clarity is left untouched because the bass is extremely controlled and decays quickly.  Result is accurately reproduced bass despite being bumped a few notches.  I think the quick decay is why I'm not seeing these as bass heavy as they were measured (or stated).  Really have to give Kudos to Val though, this is a great headphone.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back