V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Jan 28, 2013 at 6:56 PM Post #11,926 of 23,366
Quote:
When are the XL pads due to be out? And how much are we expecting them to cost owners of the M100 just to see if they work better?

Has Val said yet?

No one knows when they're coming out, but according to Val via an Amazon review reply:
Quote:
For those that want a bigger option, we hear you and are in final R&D phases to make a XL ear cushion for LP/LP2/M-100 that is optimized to have a bigger diameter/depth. It will be called "Crossfade DD-Size Memory Foam" (XL Diameter and Depth).

When this cushion is finished, we will offer it to M-100/LP/LP2 owners with a special program that is not for profit.

Quote:
Quote:
You guys should do a poll to see how many people are using the mod and those who are not.

I wonder how Val feels about it, I mean a $300 "modern audiophile" headphone that most people need to put paper towel inside the cups for it to sound properly? hmmm...

That is why I haven't been able to review it...
I'd be able to review it, with the new XL pads as you could probably buy it with them in place, but I can't review it based on a mod, even though I love the headphones with it.

I did my reviews without the pad mods. I put them in a spoiler tag for my Head-Fi review.

Jan 28, 2013 at 7:25 PM Post #11,927 of 23,366
Quote:
No one knows when they're coming out, but according to Val via an Amazon review reply:

I did my reviews without the pad mods. I put them in a spoiler tag for my Head-Fi review.

I would give them a bad review without them in. The headphones don't suit me all that much without the mods in place. With the mods, its a different story.

Jan 28, 2013 at 11:06 PM Post #11,930 of 23,366
Wait, how exactly did you get it to fit? I've tried putting-in the earpads "up-side down" before, only to realize they wouldn't fit in that direction. They are orientation-dependent from all of the times I've swapped out the earpads.

^ the flat part of the plastic as circled indicates the bottom of the earpad

Were the earpad to fit "up-side down", the black plastic would, again, be blocking the hole in the earcup (similar to the paper towel pieces), which is why the other side has that flat part in the plastic.
And upon further inspection, the top-most angle is wider than the bottom-most angle, so you would kind of have to force the earpad in in order to fit it "up-side down".
I did kinda forced the earpad to fit, finally when it stayed in i noticed that there were gaps in the seal that was le aking music. Which improved and baanced quality once you gt it to fit, it was hard getting it to stay though:/ But it did block the hole too!

Jan 29, 2013 at 12:44 AM Post #11,931 of 23,366
I'm still not extremely impressed with the M-100's although I do like them a lot. I feel like the lower mids are a little bit lacking/muddy. Does anyone else feel the same way? Also, are these the absolute best bang for your buck at this price range for EDM? 

Another question 
biggrin.gif
: How do these compare to the Focal Spirit One's?

Jan 29, 2013 at 12:50 AM Post #11,932 of 23,366
I think they're totally worth it. The m100's and seinheisser momentums are probably two of the funnest, best sounding headphones at this price range. Seeing that so y has the mdr x10's which i think sound really bad, and beats studios at this price range i think its perfect buy! But i havents tried focals yet... But ive heard its has some problems with the bass making wierd noises at regular listening level

Jan 29, 2013 at 1:00 AM Post #11,933 of 23,366
Quote:
I'm still not extremely impressed with the M-100's although I do like them a lot. I feel like the lower mids are a little bit lacking/muddy. Does anyone else feel the same way? Also, are these the absolute best bang for your buck at this price range for EDM? 

Another question 
biggrin.gif
: How do these compare to the Focal Spirit One's?

Mids can be laid back, but I consider them detailed, not muddy.  A good amp can really show their detail potential.  I can't think of a better headphone for EDM that I have heard.  Regarding the Spirit One, I have not heard them, but believe they would sound flat and lifeless compared to the M-100, but may have good mids.  I don't think anyone would recommend them for EDM.  Two other headphones that may be of interest to you are the AKG Tiesto K267 and Yamaha PRO 500.

Jan 29, 2013 at 2:30 AM Post #11,934 of 23,366
Update from a few weeks ago. Returned to Amazon for a full refund.

Sound quality and definition were through the roof fantastic, but playing off my built in soundcard. However, the reduced treble actually removed vocals from some songs, and that's what broke it for me in the end.

Comfort was ****ty. The foam padding got far too hot, and even with paper towels in the cups, my ears still pressed painfully against the drivers. Also, I'm not sure they fit symmetrically, though that may have had to do more with the shape of my head in general.

Also, these headphones leak MORE SOUND OUT than sound in. Beware of playing music that you don't want others listening to, because you won't be able to tell when they can hear it.

Jan 29, 2013 at 2:40 AM Post #11,935 of 23,366
Quote:
Update from a few weeks ago. Returned to Amazon for a full refund.

Sound quality and definition were through the roof fantastic, but playing off my built in soundcard. However, the reduced treble actually removed vocals from some songs, and that's what broke it for me in the end.

Comfort was ****ty. The foam padding got far too hot, and even with paper towels in the cups, my ears still pressed painfully against the drivers. Also, I'm not sure they fit symmetrically, though that may have had to do more with the shape of my head in general.

Also, these headphones leak MORE SOUND OUT than sound in. Beware of playing music that you don't want others listening to, because you won't be able to tell when they can hear it.

Hm that's interesting. I was jamming to some Amon Tobin on the bus today at full volume on my iPhone 4 (volume limited at ~55% but it's plenty loud...too loud actually) and there wasn't too much leakage considering the volume when the bus was shut-off at the "rest stop".

Jan 29, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #11,936 of 23,366
Quote:
I have a feeling its the case that's causing the chipping, when I wrap up the cables and store then in the holder in the case, the 3.5 mm jacks rub up against that part of the headphones, and it's a pretty tight space in there so in the end the paint starts coming off, that's the only explanation I can think of, so its either I use the case less or stop putting the cables in there

Having the same problem, everytime I take them out it's like they've got new scruffs on them i've been carefully marking up the scratches with my black perma ink marker and it looks fine now but i've made sure the metal parts of the cable are out of the way when I fold them up infact i'm going to wrap the headphones up in the plastic that orginally surrounded the case which should prevent the cable even making contact with them.

Jan 29, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #11,937 of 23,366
Quote:

Having the same problem, everytime I take them out it's like they've got new scruffs on them i've been carefully marking up the scratches with my black perma ink marker and it looks fine now but i've made sure the metal parts of the cable are out of the way when I fold them up infact i'm going to wrap the headphones up in the plastic that orginally surrounded the case which should prevent the cable even making contact with them.

that sucks

Jan 29, 2013 at 1:40 PM Post #11,940 of 23,366
Quote:
Another thing to note is I did not get any V-Corks, checked all over but nothing....wouldn't have used them anyway but still..

If you can't find them, I am sure V-Moda will mail them at no charge.  There is a sonic benefit to using them regarding leakage/channel balance, plus it keeps foreign objects out of an open jack, so why wouldn't you use it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back