V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Jan 6, 2013 at 2:48 PM Post #11,296 of 23,366
Quote:
Quote:
A would like to see a "light-bass Version" of these. Would be a pretty cool option.

Quote:
I think it's called "Sennheiser".

Sonically, a light bass version of the M-100 would bear some resemblance to the Roc Nation Aviator or B&W P5 IMO, but you wouldn't get quite the same soundstage or midrange detail.

Hm, now that you mention it the Aviator does kind of sound like the M-100 from my experience. The P5 was more warm from what I recall too (I don't think its sound quality is good for the price though).

Out of curiosity, does anyone here listen to Japanese music at all? I was browsing some channels on my "Douban.fm" app (it's basically a Pandora service for Asian music) and I liked how some artists sounded with some Japanese music. Perfume, some Kalafina, Tokimonsta, and Nujabes sounded pretty awesome. Most of my Chinese pop music just sounds OK with the M-100's since a lot of what I have is more of the soft kind of pop music (i.e. soap opera or karaoke-like) and has more of an emphasis on the midrange than the treble or bass.

And because it sounded fun:

I would be interested in hearing how math rock band "LITE" sounds with the M-100's, but I don't know where to get their music. >.>

Jan 6, 2013 at 3:49 PM Post #11,297 of 23,366
Yes, in fact most of my stuff are J-pop, game and anime songs, Voicaloids, and sound tracks.  And I do have Don't Say "Lazy" from my Japanese iTunes account.

Jan 6, 2013 at 6:32 PM Post #11,299 of 23,366
Trust me if you think they don't sound all that great, as I thought exactly the same. Read my previous posts.
They are a completely new beast now.
Put the towel mod in before you do anything else. It does make a difference, but the biggest difference comes from burn in 
Everything is so well controlled now, and I can hear instrument details I couldn't before.
I'm very hard to please and I can safetly say I love the M-100s now.
I was like you a couple of weeks ago.
Everything sounds good on them, including classical, for the price in portability factor.
 I was listening to Mahler last night :D

The bass (esp with the mod) is no longer boomy and he mids settle, as does the treble.
The treble isn't fatiquing now. At first I thought they were a bit.. off the boil, along with the bass.

Give them a few weeks.

Jan 6, 2013 at 6:40 PM Post #11,300 of 23,366
Quote:
Over hyped to the Nth degree, over priced ( in the UK at least ), and the sound is overcooked. The kids and vampire fans will no doubt go crazy for them.

After a few days of trying hard to like their odd/wonky sound, I respected the repeated cries for mercy from my ears, and moved on!

eek.gif

deadhorse.gif

Quote:
Trust me if you think they don't sound all that great, as I thought exactly the same. Read my previous posts.
They are a completely new beast now.
Put the towel mod in before you do anything else. It does make a difference, but the biggest difference comes from burn in 
Everything is so well controlled now, and I can hear instrument details I couldn't before.
I'm very hard to please and I can safetly say I love the M-100s now.
I was like you a couple of weeks ago.
Everything sounds good on them, including classical, for the price in portability factor.
 I was listening to Mahler last night :D

The bass (esp with the mod) is no longer boomy and he mids settle, as does the treble.
The treble isn't fatiquing now. At first I thought they were a bit.. off the boil, along with the bass.

Give them a few weeks.

+1 to musical-kage

I was in the same boat. I wasn't so sure if I was gonna keep them. "A dew days" is not nearly enough time for these to get proper burn in, be it the pads or drivers, the difference is huge.  I cane safely say that I'm entirely satisfied with these, after almost returning them myself. 

Like I said, a few days is not nearly enough time to judge these, or any new, out of box headphone for that matter. Brain bias/burn in play a huge role here. I used to think the bass was non-existent, and whatever bass was there was flabby. After a few weeks, the bass showed its power, and I'm not even EQing them anymore. With my CKM500s I EQ'd them a lot to get the highs more forward and the mids as lush as the bass, but M-100s deliver.

Jan 6, 2013 at 6:53 PM Post #11,301 of 23,366
Quote:

+1 to musical-kage

I was in the same boat. I wasn't so sure if I was gonna keep them. "A dew days" is not nearly enough time for these to get proper burn in, be it the pads or drivers, the difference is huge.  I cane safely say that I'm entirely satisfied with these, after almost returning them myself. 

Like I said, a few days is not nearly enough time to judge these, or any new, out of box headphone for that matter. Brain bias/burn in play a huge role here. I used to think the bass was non-existent, and whatever bass was there was flabby. After a few weeks, the bass showed its power, and I'm not even EQing them anymore. With my CKM500s I EQ'd them a lot to get the highs more forward and the mids as lush as the bass, but M-100s deliver.

Yeah, I was setting myself up to buy the Momentum's and prepare to get ready to send these back. Not any more.

Gustav Mahler – Symphony No. 2 in C Minor, "Resurrection": Ve. "O glaube, mein Herz, o glaube" (Etwas bewegter) Text after F.G. Klopstock: "Auferstehung"

Listen to that on them if you have Spotify... Love that track (if you can even call it a track)

Also, I bought that song on your sig by the way after hearing it a few times, to put it on my player :)

One thing I have realized is that a bad mix is a bad mix, and can't really be improved. These headphones in my opinion do show a good mix from a bad one. I don't think any headphone can save a heaped mess into a masterpiece.
But when the seperation is there, it is there!

I never thought I would be showing these headphones off, and giving them to co-workers to listen to. But I have been, and the impression has been a "wow, I didn't think they would sound that good!"

Its no joke that a couple of weeks back, I tried them outside, and had the trebles and bass reduced to help me listen to them.
I now have everything flat, except for a "little" bump in the mids, and treble regions, and I mean a little bump (like 1-2db).
During burn in time, I had the trebles lowered almost -6, -7db.

I was listening to Afterglow by Phaeleh the other day, and the whip of the trebles on the claps is so... I can't explain it, and then you get taps of other types of drum, and you can hear the differences in each drum, I'm sure I wouldn't have been able to on my older set.

Jan 6, 2013 at 7:05 PM Post #11,302 of 23,366
Quote:
Over hyped to the Nth degree, over priced ( in the UK at least ), and the sound is overcooked. The kids and vampire fans will no doubt go crazy for them.

After a few days of trying hard to like their odd/wonky sound, I respected the repeated cries for mercy from my ears, and moved on!

eek.gif

deadhorse.gif

Odd and wonky? I can't say I agree. Over priced for the UK? Sure thanks largely to customs duties.

Jan 6, 2013 at 7:55 PM Post #11,304 of 23,366
Quote:
What price are UK buyers paying for these? £235 (including any customs fees) is the cheapest i've found them via amazon.

I got really hit by custom fees, and it was a whopping £60.

I pretty much paid around (I posted it on here but can't remember the exact figure), around £280-£290 in the end, but that included a audio only cable, and the second fastest shipping option

Jan 6, 2013 at 8:57 PM Post #11,305 of 23,366
Quote:

Hm, now that you mention it the Aviator does kind of sound like the M-100 from my experience. The P5 was more warm from what I recall too (I don't think its sound quality is good for the price though).

Out of curiosity, does anyone here listen to Japanese music at all? I was browsing some channels on my "Douban.fm" app (it's basically a Pandora service for Asian music) and I liked how some artists sounded with some Japanese music. Perfume, some Kalafina, Tokimonsta, and Nujabes sounded pretty awesome. Most of my Chinese pop music just sounds OK with the M-100's since a lot of what I have is more of the soft kind of pop music (i.e. soap opera or karaoke-like) and has more of an emphasis on the midrange than the treble or bass.

And because it sounded fun:

I would be interested in hearing how math rock band "LITE" sounds with the M-100's, but I don't know where to get their music. >.>

Every once in awhile I poke my head around jpop, although I haven't really done too much recently. But I did do a bit of poking around now because JoJo's Bizarre Adventure is getting a fantastic adaption, and I found something pretty excellent.

Jan 6, 2013 at 10:58 PM Post #11,307 of 23,366
musical-kage and I have had very similar experiences with these. They're definitely revealing headphones. The detail retrieval is amazing. I've yet to hear a 'bad' mix on these, but some over produced music seems to suffer from the studio mixing. I'm not sure if over producing coincides with a 'bad mix'.

Also, similarly, co-workers just drop their jaw and say "I always thought a headphone was a headphone"

Yeah it's a great track :) My number one dnb track for 2012. Break's jazzyness is refreshing. 

Jan 6, 2013 at 11:13 PM Post #11,308 of 23,366
Quote:
musical-kage and I have had very similar experiences with these. They're definitely revealing headphones. The detail retrieval is amazing. I've yet to hear a 'bad' mix on these, but some over produced music seems to suffer from the studio mixing. I'm not sure if over producing coincides with a 'bad mix'.

Also, similarly, co-workers just drop their jaw and say "I always thought a headphone was a headphone"

Yeah it's a great track :) My number one dnb track for 2012. Break's jazzyness is refreshing. 

I have no idea what a bad mix sounds like either. XD
I do find the M-100's to be more forgiving than a SRH940, so I am able to enjoy some songs that I couldn't with those. I can still pick out some mastering flaws though (i.e. Loudness War clipping).

Jan 6, 2013 at 11:38 PM Post #11,309 of 23,366
Quote:
I have no idea what a bad mix sounds like either. XD
I do find the M-100's to be more forgiving than a SRH940, so I am able to enjoy some songs that I couldn't with those. I can still pick out some mastering flaws though (i.e. Loudness War clipping).

That is mostly what I meant by bad mixing. That, and some tracks just don't take use of good separation. Loving the soundscape on pretty much everything now though :)
I'll try and find a few examples of a crushed mix tomorrow.
Been listening to some Phaeleh and Poets Of The Fall tonight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back