V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Dec 26, 2012 at 5:03 PM Post #11,056 of 23,366
3x3, and trim it so it's not unwieldy. I think mine are 2.5x2

Dec 26, 2012 at 5:05 PM Post #11,057 of 23,366
I received my Sound and Vision print magazine today.  Congrats to V-Moda for winning an editor's choice award for the M-100!  While the PSB M4U2 won product of the year (admittedly deserved), the M-100 has a full-page photo with this quote:

"...one of the best-sounding portable headphones we've auditioned"

Dec 26, 2012 at 6:02 PM Post #11,061 of 23,366
Quote:
I cant believe people are listening to the same headphone as I am when they say they dont like it lol

You must have been given a golden pair or something, because you seem to like the very features I found lacking
biggrin.gif

In all seriousness, I'm wondering if these were just made for people with small ears? I had to fold my ears under the pads in order to get a decent seal.. I'm sure this affects the sound a bit. Midrange sounded pretty weak to me, and had little clarity(I wouldnt even consider the midrange laid back; it really did sound recessed, to my ears). On the other hand, I really liked the midrange of the DT770's, and thought the M-100's were more in-line with the M-50's, in terms of sonic performance. 

Dec 26, 2012 at 6:44 PM Post #11,063 of 23,366
Just got my pair. They're fantastically comfortable to me, moreso than the LPs, and I really like the folding mechanism.

As far as their sound goes, I'm torn. I don't find the bass overpowering at all in most tracks, and they have a good amount of detail, but the mids are a tad too laid back for my tastes; vocals just seem to get lost in the mix in busier tracks, even in mostly acoustic songs. But electronica/dubstep sounds SO GOOD.

I guess I have sixty days to make up my mind...

Dec 26, 2012 at 7:07 PM Post #11,064 of 23,366
I thought I was going to really like them at first but now that I think about it the laid back mids really suck, like they are very recessed. I'm going to return mine.

Dec 26, 2012 at 7:12 PM Post #11,065 of 23,366
Quote:
X2 I have had these since October and have been loving them, but I haven't been posting that much about them so I assume plenty of people are doing the same so maybe the reviews aren't as mixed as they seem.

As expected for reviews. Per statistics, reviews are always biased when the reviews are voluntary. If you get to choose whether or not you review a product, you most likely won't unless you are displeased with said product. So the displeased reviewers are more likely to post about their problems, then the happy product owners. :) That isn't always the case, because some happy product owners are here to help share experiences with the crowd, but that is usually the case with voluntary reviews.

Dec 26, 2012 at 7:26 PM Post #11,066 of 23,366
Quote:
You must have been given a golden pair or something, because you seem to like the very features I found lacking
biggrin.gif

In all seriousness, I'm wondering if these were just made for people with small ears? I had to fold my ears under the pads in order to get a decent seal.. I'm sure this affects the sound a bit. Midrange sounded pretty weak to me, and had little clarity(I wouldnt even consider the midrange laid back; it really did sound recessed, to my ears). On the other hand, I really liked the midrange of the DT770's, and thought the M-100's were more in-line with the M-50's, in terms of sonic performance. 

Hmm...that is a very good point! 

My ears are really small...I always have people saying how tiny my ears are lol 

The cups completely surround my ears, and with folded ears inside the cups that would affect the sound, the mids are deffinately better than the DT770 no questions asked, they are WAY more forward than the DT770 which are MUCH more distant to my ears! 

This is really interesting, I wonder if most of the people who say they dont like them have larger ears haha 

Now I will be able to have the last laugh at anyone who sniggers at my small ears...as they will have to be satisfied with sub par headphones!

Dec 26, 2012 at 8:00 PM Post #11,067 of 23,366
wow, didn´t think the paper mod would make such a difference. It brings those small details I was missing in the guitars in some rock tunes. Will try to find a more permanent solution (white papers look horrible), but overall, very happy with the result. Still, I would like to compare them with the Momentum, but this just.... so portable. I really really love how they fold. 

Dec 26, 2012 at 8:07 PM Post #11,068 of 23,366
Quote:
Quote:
X2 I have had these since October and have been loving them, but I haven't been posting that much about them so I assume plenty of people are doing the same so maybe the reviews aren't as mixed as they seem.

As expected for reviews. Per statistics, reviews are always biased when the reviews are voluntary. If you get to choose whether or not you review a product, you most likely won't unless you are displeased with said product. So the displeased reviewers are more likely to post about their problems, then the happy product owners. :) That isn't always the case, because some happy product owners are here to help share experiences with the crowd, but that is usually the case with voluntary reviews.

Hm that's interesting, I never thought about it that way. Whenever I read reviews, I always look at the critical/negative parts because those are the parts that worry me the most and offer the most useful information from my experience. Amazon reviews for example (yeah yeah it's Amazon...), there are an abundance of positive reviews that all say the same thing and a few negative reviews that really talk about things the other reviews don't cover.

Dec 26, 2012 at 8:18 PM Post #11,069 of 23,366
Quote:
biggrin.gif

I have big ears, but they fit inside the cans and don't affect the seal (although they do bottom out and cause some discomfort without pad buffer).  I would venture to say if it's so bad that you don't feel the headphones are able to sit on your head without your ears doing crazy gymnastics, then what you are hearing is probably not indicative of the sound of the cans.

Dec 26, 2012 at 8:21 PM Post #11,070 of 23,366
Just like a movie though, id personally prefer to see it myself before really passing judgement. Impressions are more valuable to me than reviews. Reviews are meant for people to decide with, and ultimately swing one way or another, where as impressions leave people wondering, without a final judgement based on variables that come down to a valued score.

but again, its all subjective to ones ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back