V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Dec 21, 2012 at 11:49 PM Post #10,936 of 23,366
Happy to report all comfort issues were resolved using the 'wound dressing mod' lol.
My break consisted of nodding my M-100 lol. Co workers just listened to them and said they sound good but wpuldnt pay $300 for them. I asked of they'd prefer Beats, nope, too expensive.
I can't say for certain, but I think I'm happier with the sound now. The bass sounds more inline with the mids.

Musical-kage, give the mod a try, the mids came alive and the bass compliments the mids better, as well as the lower mids being better integrated with the bass. I felt that area crowded too, couldn't quite put it into words. I feel like were on the same page with these. They're great, but Maybe not the greatest for us?

Dec 22, 2012 at 12:38 AM Post #10,937 of 23,366
Though off-topic from the current discussion, I'm really digging the M-100's flexible headband. I have this huge pain-splitting headache at the moment because I'm sick, and stretching the M-100's headband for less clamping force is really convenient. You can't find this headband stretchiness in most headphones.

Dec 22, 2012 at 2:18 AM Post #10,938 of 23,366
This thread is a little disappointing to me, what I get is I should look elsewhere for a good headphone for guitar centric music (Steve Vai, Dream Theater, Paul Gilbert, Zappa, SRV) due to the midrange or am I wrong? Maybe I should get something like an he400 or a different amp for my 600s.

I really like my m80s but my ears get sore from them and I love my hd600s but I don't think the excel at the guitar-centered music, I want a great experience when listening to some sweet guitar licks haha (classical/jazz/blues is a great experience with the hd600s tho). Will the m100s deliver or will I have to just keep searching and weighing my options/budget?

Dec 22, 2012 at 2:55 AM Post #10,939 of 23,366
Quote:
This thread is a little disappointing to me, what I get is I should look elsewhere for a good headphone for guitar centric music (Steve Vai, Dream Theater, Paul Gilbert, Zappa, SRV) due to the midrange or am I wrong? Maybe I should get something like an he400 or a different amp for my 600s.
I really like my m80s but my ears get sore from them and I love my hd600s but I don't think the excel at the guitar-centered music, I want a great experience when listening to some sweet guitar licks haha (classical/jazz/blues is a great experience with the hd600s tho). Will the m100s deliver or will I have to just keep searching and weighing my options/budget?

Dude, if you dont like the HD600's on guitars, then you're going to hate the M-100's
blink.gif

The M-80's are a masterpeice. I tried several different configurations with the M-100's (LP pads, Stock pads with Towlie mod, then LP pads with Towlie mod), and even given the M-100's play-time exclusively for a week straight (just in case I just needed time to acclimate to the sound), and every time I'd switch back to the M-80's, I immediately found myself grooving to the music five times harder. The midrange is just so clean and clear on the M-80's, where the M-100's still sound unsure at times..
I've said it before and will say it again: I feel the M-100's are going through somewhat of an identity crisis, where it tries too hard to impress(it can sound damn good with specific genres); but the M-80's are like the successful cibling that is 100% sure of themself, performing phenomenally in almost any scenario..

Anyway, out of all the headphones I've owned, I still turn to my hd598's for guitars. The midrange is snappy, crisp, crunchy... it simply is, eff'ing awsome
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 22, 2012 at 3:27 AM Post #10,940 of 23,366
Quote:

You could always give V-MODA's 60-day test trial a shot. If you end up not liking the M-100's, you can return them for a full refund (providing you purchase the M-100 from an authorised reseller).

Dec 22, 2012 at 4:26 AM Post #10,941 of 23,366
Quote:
Happy to report all comfort issues were resolved using the 'wound dressing mod' lol.
My break consisted of nodding my M-100 lol. Co workers just listened to them and said they sound good but wpuldnt pay $300 for them. I asked of they'd prefer Beats, nope, too expensive.
I can't say for certain, but I think I'm happier with the sound now. The bass sounds more inline with the mids.
Musical-kage, give the mod a try, the mids came alive and the bass compliments the mids better, as well as the lower mids being better integrated with the bass. I felt that area crowded too, couldn't quite put it into words. I feel like were on the same page with these. They're great, but Maybe not the greatest for us?

I think I will. Not entirely sure how I can perform the towel mod with the textured stuff we have. How come in the pics, the pieces look wet?

Hmm testing them outside for 30 mins in just under an hour. My mums like 'you won't hear traffic'.

Quote:

I listened to some Dream Theater last night.
Result was a detailed sound but mids again really hampered the guitars and voices of most I tried.

Dec 22, 2012 at 8:39 AM Post #10,944 of 23,366
Just got them...I have only listened to a handful of songs but I can instantly tell that these are handcrafted for me! Here are my first impressions:

Phaeleh sounds sooooo good, I absolutly love the mids on these...Im used to recessed mids with my DT770´s and these sound so forward compared to them, I thought this would be because they are female vocals so I played Man On The Moon - Kid Cudi and the vocals are so much better here too...like he is singing to my ear

Bass is great too...I finally know what people are talking about when they say tight punchy bass...really had no idea what that sounded like until I heard these, the Beyers sound so much more sloppy in comparrison...the M100´s have much more bass impact too!

These have much more detail than what I was expecting...Phaeleh - The Cold In You the highs are just stunning and the sub bass is really great, has a lovely full weighty body to it and can feel the vibrations! 

Unbelievable these havnt even burned in yet! 

Dec 22, 2012 at 8:51 AM Post #10,945 of 23,366
Quote:
Just got them...I have only listened to a handful of songs but I can instantly tell that these are handcrafted for me! Here are my first impressions:

Phaeleh sounds sooooo good, I absolutly love the mids on these...Im used to recessed mids with my DT770´s and these sound so forward compared to them, I thought this would be because they are female vocals so I played Man On The Moon - Kid Cudi and the vocals are so much better here too...like he is singing to my ear

Bass is great too...I finally know what people are talking about when they say tight punchy bass...really had no idea what that sounded like until I heard these, the Beyers sound so much more sloppy in comparrison...the M100´s have much more bass impact too!

These have much more detail than what I was expecting...Phaeleh - The Cold In You the highs are just stunning and the sub bass is really great, has a lovely full weighty body to it and can feel the vibrations! 

Glad to hear we have a shared listening experience with the M-100.

Dec 22, 2012 at 8:56 AM Post #10,946 of 23,366
Quote:

Glad you like them :)

Yeah I noticed a great sound on Pheleh tracks as I mentioned. The mixing is top notch. I noticed her vocals had a really rich sound and a lot of seperation and air.

Electronic music is certainly not this sets downfall.
I can't feel the vibrations though but it says in your sig you have that subwoofer style amp?

I didn't get a chance to walk with them. I got out the door and realised it was throwing it down... was gutted. Just a shame the water wasn't being lol.

Tell me never to get a D770 in that case lol.

Dec 22, 2012 at 11:57 AM Post #10,948 of 23,366
Quote:
I think warmness comes mainly from the mids. The laid back mids, though they can be detailed, I don't feel they compliment the amazingly detailed upper mids and treble region.
The bass crowds the mids in a lot of songs I've listened to.
My dads more balanced Sony set (though like £270 cheaper) produces a much more natural sound.

They don't sound cold. Don't get me wrong. They do sound warm, and the treble doesn't get all shrilly which I would hate, but their are warmer sets out there.

Like I said though, I am letting them run in.

Have you tried DigitalFreak's paper towel mod and see how it works?

Dec 22, 2012 at 12:35 PM Post #10,949 of 23,366
Dude, if you dont like the HD600's on guitars, then you're going to hate the M-100's :blink:
The M-80's are a masterpeice. I tried several different configurations with the M-100's (LP pads, Stock pads with Towlie mod, then LP pads with Towlie mod), and even given the M-100's play-time exclusively for a week straight (just in case I just needed time to acclimate to the sound), and every time I'd switch back to the M-80's, I immediately found myself grooving to the music five times harder. The midrange is just so clean and clear on the M-80's, where the M-100's still sound unsure at times..
I've said it before and will say it again: I feel the M-100's are going through somewhat of an identity crisis, where it tries too hard to impress(it can sound damn good with specific genres); but the M-80's are like the successful cibling that is 100% sure of themself, performing phenomenally in almost any scenario..

Anyway, out of all the headphones I've owned, I still turn to my hd598's for guitars. The midrange is snappy, crisp, crunchy... it simply is, eff'ing awsome :)

I think I find my hd600 a little dull sometimes whereas my m80s make my music a little more enjoyable/fun. With classical though the hd600 is much more emotional.

You could always give V-MODA's 60-day test trial a shot. If you end up not liking the M-100's, you can return them for a full refund (providing you purchase the M-100 from an authorised reseller).

I'm probably going to do this even if I'm apprehensive, I'll definitely try the digital freak mod too when I get them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back