V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Dec 17, 2012 at 9:15 PM Post #10,681 of 23,366
Quote:
Guys, is something wrong with me? I find the M-80 to have more bass. It may be that I have to burn it in.
The M-100 sounds more roomy. Highs definitely extend higher and makes cymbals sound nice and crisp. You can hear the velocity decrease after every hit!
I was really expecting the M-100 to be bassier than the M-80, but it is not the case. Using a tone generator the bass region is definitely stronger on the M-80.

I don't listen to Skrillex, but on the track "Kyoto" I found that I feel the bass that is oscillating in the background is very noticeable on the M-80. On the M-100, it is very weak.

For the GazettE's Chijo, I found that the cymbals are very nice as clear, again. Whereas on the M-80 it was possible that the individual hits could be lost. I also heard the correct pattern that the drummer is hitting on the ride's bell through the M-100. I LOVED IT.
Each kick of the drum is weaker than the M-80. The bass guitar's groove can be followed just slightly easily on it as well.
As for the vocals and the guitars, I feel that they sound clearer on the M-100. The treble helps bring out some  of that I suppose.

For the GazettE's Remember The Urge, I found the same results. This song is a lot faster than Chijo and thus the bass kicks' impact on the M-100 sounds almost absent.

After so much A/B'ing I found that the M-80's do sound slightly muddier in comparison, most likely due to the powerful bass.

I find the two biggest contributors to changing the M-100 sound is any modification to the ear pads, and seal on the vents; but my observation is that factory-tweaked M-100's have much more visceral/teeth rattling bass delivery(borderlining overdone to me), where the M-80 is much more balanced sounding as it segways into the mids..
I find the M-80's have a more realistic tone for brass and pianos; sounding fuller and more satisfying(warm, I guess).. Meanwhile, the M-100's had gobs of slam and rumble, but wasnt a very good support for the rest of the spectrum(low-key piano strikes sounded a tad windy/dense, but was missing crispness/midrange detail).
I'm wondering if the M-100's may be just a little too dry for you; personally, I thought the M-80's had a much more coherent/usable spectrum in terms of delivery and clarity vs the M-100's(but that's just me). Of course.. it is possible your pair is all buggered 
tongue_smile.gif

Dec 17, 2012 at 9:27 PM Post #10,682 of 23,366
Just emailed vModa support and got an answer back in minutes. They're shipping out a new pair and will send me a shipping label to send the defective ones back. Pretty awesome service! Hopefully they'll be here soon. (Rock On! and thanks David -  vModa support)

BTW - the cable only could do play/pause, no volume up/down.  Probably an Andorid/Blackberry cable.  The one from my M80 works fine though.

Quote:

Sorry to hear that happened :frowning2:  Guess it's back to the CS room.  Haven't ever dealt with V-Moda CS, I'm sure they're fine and you'll be taken care of though.  It's a bummer though :frowning2:

Dec 17, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #10,684 of 23,366
Quote:
Quote:
Guys, is something wrong with me? I find the M-80 to have more bass. It may be that I have to burn it in.
The M-100 sounds more roomy. Highs definitely extend higher and makes cymbals sound nice and crisp. You can hear the velocity decrease after every hit!
I was really expecting the M-100 to be bassier than the M-80, but it is not the case. Using a tone generator the bass region is definitely stronger on the M-80.

I don't listen to Skrillex, but on the track "Kyoto" I found that I feel the bass that is oscillating in the background is very noticeable on the M-80. On the M-100, it is very weak.

For the GazettE's Chijo, I found that the cymbals are very nice as clear, again. Whereas on the M-80 it was possible that the individual hits could be lost. I also heard the correct pattern that the drummer is hitting on the ride's bell through the M-100. I LOVED IT.
Each kick of the drum is weaker than the M-80. The bass guitar's groove can be followed just slightly easily on it as well.
As for the vocals and the guitars, I feel that they sound clearer on the M-100. The treble helps bring out some  of that I suppose.

For the GazettE's Remember The Urge, I found the same results. This song is a lot faster than Chijo and thus the bass kicks' impact on the M-100 sounds almost absent.

After so much A/B'ing I found that the M-80's do sound slightly muddier in comparison, most likely due to the powerful bass.

I find the two biggest contributors to changing the M-100 sound is any modification to the ear pads, and seal on the vents; but my observation is that factory-tweaked M-100's have much more visceral/teeth rattling bass delivery(borderlining overdone to me), where the M-80 is much more balanced sounding as it segways into the mids..
I find the M-80's have a more realistic tone for brass and pianos; sounding fuller and more satisfying(warm, I guess).. Meanwhile, the M-100's had gobs of slam and rumble, but wasnt a very good support for the rest of the spectrum(low-key piano strikes sounded a tad windy/dense, but was missing crispness/midrange detail).
I'm wondering if the M-100's may be just a little too dry for you; personally, I thought the M-80's had a much more coherent/usable spectrum in terms of delivery and clarity vs the M-100's(but that's just me). Of course.. it is possible your pair is all buggered 
tongue_smile.gif

That's what I observed as well with the M-80 vs M-100 bass. And I also agree with you on the piano keys missing some crispness; I dunno, some piano keys sound "rounded-off" to me if that means anything.

Dec 17, 2012 at 10:13 PM Post #10,686 of 23,366
Quality control in packing is a bit...naff? Different shields? How did that happen?!

As for one side being dead; That in itself worries me. That makes 2 now I believe that have posted on here.
Dead from transit (the little wires inside the headphones themselves), or simply defective to begin with?

Dec 17, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #10,687 of 23,366
I didn't ask for any engraving, so my guess is they just got mismatched. Its an easy mistake , I just want to make sure i am not off base... At first I thought I got one of each color on my headphones and one each in the bag

Dec 17, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #10,689 of 23,366
Quote:
Just emailed vModa support and got an answer back in minutes. They're shipping out a new pair and will send me a shipping label to send the defective ones back. Pretty awesome service! Hopefully they'll be here soon. (Rock On! and thanks David -  vModa support)

BTW - the cable only could do play/pause, no volume up/down.  Probably an Andorid/Blackberry cable.  The one from my M80 works fine though.

I didn't say anything about volume :wink:  You can skip songs, go back a song, and use Siri as well (double click, triple click, and click + hold respectively).  Glad  to see things will get fixed :)

Quote:
I just had an idea, has anybody tried putting a cable like the one from sol tracks HD and putting the cable in to both inputs, I've heard on some headphones it helps the sound a bit

Tracks HD cable won't work as the jacks on the M100 are 3.5mm and the ones on the Tracks are 2.5mm.

Dec 17, 2012 at 10:52 PM Post #10,690 of 23,366
Quote:

Check the seal on your pads, it really makes a difference, I listened to Bangarang the whole way through once with the pads on wrong and it sounded awful, then I realised I was wearing it wrong and I was gob-smacked. The seal IS the bass!

Dec 17, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #10,691 of 23,366
I didn't say anything about volume :wink:  You can skip songs, go back a song, and use Siri as well (double click, triple click, and click + hold respectively).  Glad  to see things will get fixed :)

Tracks HD cable won't work as the jacks on the M100 are 3.5mm and the ones on the Tracks are 2.5mm.

Oh that's right, that was the only headphone with removable double inputs, but I meant like the ones from the tracks HD except 3.5

Dec 17, 2012 at 11:15 PM Post #10,693 of 23,366
First post after having followed these forums for a while as a guest! *waves small flag*

I'm trying to decide between the "Ocean" blue and the dark blue for my custom shields. I'm planning on buying the matte black option, which do you guys think will look better on it?

Dec 17, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #10,694 of 23,366
Quote:

Check the seal on your pads, it really makes a difference, I listened to Bangarang the whole way through once with the pads on wrong and it sounded awful, then I realised I was wearing it wrong and I was gob-smacked. The seal IS the bass!

How would I wear it wrong?

Quote:
That's what I observed as well with the M-80 vs M-100 bass. And I also agree with you on the piano keys missing some crispness; I dunno, some piano keys sound "rounded-off" to me if that means anything.

Yeah, I'm not sure what's wrong with mine.

Dec 17, 2012 at 11:23 PM Post #10,695 of 23,366
Quote:
First post after having followed these forums for a while as a guest! *waves small flag*

I'm trying to decide between the "Ocean" blue and the dark blue for my custom shields. I'm planning on buying the matte black option, which do you guys think will look better on it?

My honest opinion would be: if you want the shields to really stand out, get the "ocean" blue, if you want the blue to fade a bit more into the black (think a hint of blue in the shields), get the dark blue.  I personally would get the dark, but that's me; it depends on what you want the blue to really do (pop or reserve itself).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back