V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Dec 8, 2012 at 2:47 PM Post #10,096 of 23,366
Well seeing as how as of last night I have both pairs sitting on my desk I'd tend to disagree. But that may just be variances in production. I mean its foam really so it would be hard for them to all be identical. Having said that I noticed a big difference in the feel of the black m80 pads compared to the grey ones on the white m80s so clearly everything is not equal...even on the same headphone model. I have a pair of extra grey pads from my lp2s and maybe some day ill pop them on my matte m100s and see if there is a difference but from a feel perspective...I can't tell the difference at all between my lp2s and m100s. Sound...well that's another story. :)

Dec 8, 2012 at 2:58 PM Post #10,097 of 23,366
Quote:
Well seeing as how as of last night I have both pairs sitting on my desk I'd tend to disagree. But that may just be variances in production. I mean its foam really so it would be hard for them to all be identical. Having said that I noticed a big difference in the feel of the black m80 pads compared to the grey ones on the white m80s so clearly everything is not equal...even on the same headphone model. I have a pair of extra grey pads from my lp2s and maybe some day ill pop them on my matte m100s and see if there is a difference but from a feel perspective...I can't tell the difference at all between my lp2s and m100s. Sound...well that's another story.
smily_headphones1.gif

Since you also have the LP2's can you please tell me how the M-100's sound compared to them. Will it be a worthy upgrade or will I be disappointed?

Dec 8, 2012 at 3:13 PM Post #10,098 of 23,366
Quote:
Since you also have the LP2's can you please tell me how the M-100's sound compared to them. Will it be a worthy upgrade or will I be disappointed?

It all depends what kind of music you listen to and your tastes.  Its a significant investment so only YOU can decide if you'll be disappointed or not.  But for me, I listen to about 90% hip hop, a bit of southern rock, some dub step and a touch of country and it is a nice upgrade for me.  I loved the M80s, but I'm not a huge fan of using On-Ears because they dig into my glasses and that was the case with them after long listening sessions or gaming.  Plus, On-Ears are not good for gaming at all anyway, you lose spaciousness and awareness of where sounds are coming from.  At least I do.  I wanted one set that can do everything.  Sound great musically and good for gaming.  I kept going back and forth between my M80s and my LP2s and I'm sick of doing that.  One set to take with me that can do it all.  M100s are that set as of this moment.

That said, I don't have a ton of experience listening to either the LP2s or my M100s yet.  As I said, I preferred the M80 sound over the LP2s so I used those almost strictly for gaming.  The bass bled too much into the midrange for my liking and the highs seemed out of place...not really recessed, but they just didn't seem to fit naturally.  That has all changed in the M100s.  Yes, they have a touch more bass than the M80s, but it doesn't bleed nearly as much into the mids as the LP2s.  So if that's something that bothers you about the LP2s then you'll be very happy with the M100s.  

I'll have to do some more burning and listening time on the M100s to really make a distinction between them and the M80s...but so far, it seems like a nice upgrade from a comfort and a fairly lateral move sound wise with the exception of a touch more bass (which fits my genres quite nicely IMO).

Dec 8, 2012 at 3:21 PM Post #10,099 of 23,366
Got my Lindsey Stirling CD in the post today Miceblue :D
Ripping to FLAC as we speak.

Without you posting about her on here, I probably wouldn't have even found her music

Seriously the first thing I'm going to be testing once I get them

Dec 8, 2012 at 5:06 PM Post #10,101 of 23,366
Quote:
Got my Lindsey Stirling CD in the post today Miceblue :D
Ripping to FLAC as we speak.

Without you posting about her on here, I probably wouldn't have even found her music

Seriously the first thing I'm going to be testing once I get them

Nice! I've been looking into Vanessa Mae's songs since Lindsey drew inspiration from her. After all, she is one of the first artists to go into the whole classical crossover genre.

Quote:
Well seeing as how as of last night I have both pairs sitting on my desk I'd tend to disagree. But that may just be variances in production. I mean its foam really so it would be hard for them to all be identical. Having said that I noticed a big difference in the feel of the black m80 pads compared to the grey ones on the white m80s so clearly everything is not equal...even on the same headphone model. I have a pair of extra grey pads from my lp2s and maybe some day ill pop them on my matte m100s and see if there is a difference but from a feel perspective...I can't tell the difference at all between my lp2s and m100s. Sound...well that's another story.
smily_headphones1.gif

That may be so. When I installed the white LP/LP2 earpads on the M-100, I was able to sense the differences nearly immediately. It took me more time to adjust the earcups so my ear would fit in the earpad hole, and the seal wasn't as good (stiffer pads). That plus it affected the sound, in a negative way, of the M-100 when I swapped the earpads. Were it not for the differences in sound, I would prefer the comfort of the LP/LP2 pads that I have.

It might be worthwhile to mention that both of my pads are new, so they might be different in shape/form from your more used LP2 earpads.

Quote:
Quote:

It all depends what kind of music you listen to and your tastes.  Its a significant investment so only YOU can decide if you'll be disappointed or not.  But for me, I listen to about 90% hip hop, a bit of southern rock, some dub step and a touch of country and it is a nice upgrade for me.  I loved the M80s, but I'm not a huge fan of using On-Ears because they dig into my glasses and that was the case with them after long listening sessions or gaming.  Plus, On-Ears are not good for gaming at all anyway, you lose spaciousness and awareness of where sounds are coming from.  At least I do.  I wanted one set that can do everything.  Sound great musically and good for gaming.  I kept going back and forth between my M80s and my LP2s and I'm sick of doing that.  One set to take with me that can do it all.  M100s are that set as of this moment.

That said, I don't have a ton of experience listening to either the LP2s or my M100s yet.  As I said, I preferred the M80 sound over the LP2s so I used those almost strictly for gaming.  The bass bled too much into the midrange for my liking and the highs seemed out of place...not really recessed, but they just didn't seem to fit naturally.  That has all changed in the M100s.  Yes, they have a touch more bass than the M80s, but it doesn't bleed nearly as much into the mids as the LP2s.  So if that's something that bothers you about the LP2s then you'll be very happy with the M100s.  

I'll have to do some more burning and listening time on the M100s to really make a distinction between them and the M80s...but so far, it seems like a nice upgrade from a comfort and a fairly lateral move sound wise with the exception of a touch more bass (which fits my genres quite nicely IMO).

Yeah I think that's what detracted me from the LP when I tried it, the midrange was pretty messed up. It's still "iffy" for me in the M-100, but for home listening it's at least acceptable for me and even more so for mobile listening.

Dec 8, 2012 at 5:41 PM Post #10,104 of 23,366
Nice! I've been looking into Vanessa Mae's songs since Lindsey drew inspiration from her. After all, she is one of the first artists to go into the whole classical crossover genre.

That may be so. When I installed the white LP/LP2 earpads on the M-100, I was able to sense the differences nearly immediately. It took me more time to adjust the earcups so my ear would fit in the earpad hole, and the seal wasn't as good (stiffer pads). That plus it affected the sound, in a negative way, of the M-100 when I swapped the earpads. Were it not for the differences in sound, I would prefer the comfort of the LP/LP2 pads that I have.

It might be worthwhile to mention that both of my pads are new, so they might be different in shape/form from your more used LP2 earpads.

Yeah I think that's what detracted me from the LP when I tried it, the midrange was pretty messed up. It's still "iffy" for me in the M-100, but for home listening it's at least acceptable for me and even more so for mobile listening.
do the m-100 have significantly lower bass than the lp2?

Dec 8, 2012 at 5:46 PM Post #10,105 of 23,366
Quote:
Quote:

do the m-100 have significantly lower bass than the lp2?

Bass? I can't recall since I was focusing on the midrange and treble. This might be a question that dbdynsty25 can answer.

Jude wrote his "review" for the M-100 in the 2012 Holiday Gift Guide.

Quote:
V-MODA Crossfade M-100 ($310)
Closed, full-size, around-the-ear headphones
www.v-moda.com

The latest V-MODA flagship--the V-MODA M-100--was one of the most anticipated product launches we've seen in the Head-Fi community in quite some time. Part of what made the M-100 so anticipated is how it came to be, uniquely developed alongside online audiophiles, musicians, editors--a true collaborative effort. At its core, though, the M-100 was a passion project for V-MODA founder Val Kolton. He'd been working on it for a long while before he revealed the project publicly; and then for about a year after that, he started gathering feedback from his musician and editor friends, and then welcomed opinions from the Head-Fi community, including sonic critiques from Head-Fi members.

Toward the end of last year, Kolton and I met twice to discuss the M-100, once in Chicago, and then again at Head-Fi HQ in Michigan. The purpose of the visit to my office was to look at his hinge design (which ended up evolving into something stronger and more refined by the time it made production), as well as evaluating a bunch of earpad variations that looked so much alike they had to be numbered for identification (yet they sounded quite different from one prototype pair to the next). There was no sleep at that latter meeting, as there was a lot to cover--we even had a couple of video conferences with his engineers overseas. Then there was a limited public unveiling (and auditions) of M-100 prototypes at CES last January, and a few more get-togethers about the M-100 this year. 

Fast forward to now, and a very limited run of specially packaged first-run M-100's was sold exclusively to Head-Fi community members who signed up for it. And the response from that first batch of M-100's has been positive and strong.

After all that, what was the result? Let's start with that hinge: As a professional DJ who knows how rough headphones can be treated on the road, Kolton wanted to make sure that any hinge he developed wouldn't be a point of weakness. And the hinge that evolved into the production version feels exceedingly strong. A lot of attention even went into the detents that *click* to confirm full-open and full-closed positions--this hinge feels positively Swiss-like in its precision.

The M-100 is a tough headphone that can survive 70+ drops on concrete from a height of six feet; survive environmental tests including high and low temperatures, humidity, salt spray, and ultraviolet light exposure; with a headband that can bend flat 10 times, and a cable that can survive 1,000,000+ bends. And, yes, these are actual tests V-MODA performs.

Also Swiss-like in its precision is the quality control the drivers are subjected to, each matched to tight tolerances at six different frequency bands, as one of Kolton's hot buttons is, without a doubt, driver matching.

Even more attention and anxiety was paid to the sound signature. With every V-MODA headphone ever made (in-ear or over-ear), there's bass emphasis, depending on the model, to varying degrees. The V-MODA Crossfade M-80 (also in this guide) was the first headphone from V-MODA that was designed for audiophiles (or "Modiophiles"--modern audiophiles--as Kolton calls them). The M-100 is the second, and the flagship. Still there is bass emphasis, but in a manner that smartly leaves the mids relatively unruffled. The M-100's mids are detailed, if not just somewhat subdued with its framing between the prominent bass on the one side, and the soaring treble on the other. Imaging is surprisingly spacious for a closed headphone whose drivers don't appear to me to be at all canted at an angle, like we see on so many headphones today.

The M-100's passive isolation is good enough for most of my on-the-go needs. For an on-the-go headphone, its sound (not to mention its durability) make it virtually perfect. If you've a tendency to prefer some bass emphasis and very detailed treble, this might very well be the closed, over-ear reference headphone you've been looking for. For me, the M-100 has become one of my top passive on-the-go headphones of choice, for both its sound and durability.

The V-MODA M-100 is available in a very chic matte black color scheme with a bright orange cable, making it one of the coolest, hippest looking headphones released in some time. (Okay, okay, I'm kind of teasing about that, as I helped pick that color scheme--it does look groovy, though.) It's also available in two other color schemes called White Pearl and Shadow.

“By far the strongest sonic trait of the M-100 is it's rendering of its bass. At least to my ears, this is the defining signature of these headphones... I won't call myself a bass head but the M-100's bass traits have enlightened me on how to appreciate good quality bass."
Head-Fi member/reviewer AnakChan

Dec 8, 2012 at 6:03 PM Post #10,108 of 23,366
Quote:

Yeah...I still think there are just variances in size and softness based on the color.  I'm 100% convinced that the grey pads are softer and "less deep" than the black ones.  It was like that on my M80s and the same wit the M100/LP2s.  So clearly there are tolerances in manufacturing.  I don't think there's a right or wrong answer here...just different pads made at different times w/ different dyes and padding.  At least that's my conclusion.  :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back