V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Nov 17, 2012 at 11:37 PM Post #9,556 of 23,366
Quote:

It presents a very clean, natural/effortless sound to be certain.  Despite the slightly accentuated bass, I don't find it at all distracting/hindering nor do I take exception to any other facet of its sonic performance.  For those with a more durable noggin than myself I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to those who value a highy-neutral presentation.

totally off topic, but how do you put those for sales in your signature?

Nov 17, 2012 at 11:49 PM Post #9,557 of 23,366
totally off topic, but how do you put those for sales in your signature?

Go to your profile page, scroll to the bottom, click 'edit signature' there will be drop downs to add 'stuff' like your collections or items you have for sale etc etc.... :wink:

Nov 18, 2012 at 1:14 AM Post #9,558 of 23,366
Wow another song that Rihanna ripped off of. I can't believe she doesn't credit the original artist when she does this crap. This is the 3rd song from my memory where she used other people's work.

Nov 18, 2012 at 1:42 AM Post #9,559 of 23,366
Quote:
So if these headphones aren't really that good for rock music, what other closed back headphones would you recommend for rock music (not talking about metal and hard rock, I listen to more alternative and punk rock) at this price range and still be a portable can? 

Maybe an M-80, HD25-i-ii, DT1350, or K550? The M-80's actually didn't sound half-bad for rock.

Quote:
Wow another song that Rihanna ripped off of. I can't believe she doesn't credit the original artist when she does this crap. This is the 3rd song from my memory where she used other people's work.

I don't listen to mainstream pop, hip hop/rap, nor so called R&B so I wouldn't know. XD

Nov 18, 2012 at 1:55 AM Post #9,561 of 23,366
Quote:
So if these headphones aren't really that good for rock music, what other closed back headphones would you recommend for rock music (not talking about metal and hard rock, I listen to more alternative and punk rock) at this price range and still be a portable can? 

I think they work extremely well for rock.  Four prime examples that sound great to me are Yes, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin and Rush.

Nov 18, 2012 at 2:38 AM Post #9,562 of 23,366
Quote:
I think they work extremely well for rock.  Four prime examples that sound great to me are Yes, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin and Rush.

I just listened to their "Another Brick in the Wall, Part 2", "Money", and "The Great Gig in the Sky" for a test.

Another Brick in the Wall, Part 2
The sound of the kids' chanting in Wall part 2 seem deeper than wide like what I've been saying. The SRH940 made their voices seem more spread out. I use this song in particular for soundstage testing. The LCD-2's soundstage was pretty congested in comparison to the M-100.

The bass guitar takes front stage in most of the song, taking away from the epicness of the guitar solo at 2:08.

Snare drums, cymbals, and more specifically cymbal crashes seem pretty quiet and I thought that was one of the more defining parts of this particular song, the easy-to-follow drumset (AKA "drummer mode" for me).

The main singer's voice seems oddly placed with the bass guitar, making him a few steps back from the guitar.

M-100: -1

Money
Immediately I notice that the coins/change sounds are more diagonally right/left imaged in my head, as opposed to right/left. Adding the original paper towel mod helps with the L/R imaging a bit.

The drumset seems placed waaaaay behind the bass guitar. Snare drums seem far back on the stage and cymbal crashes are pretty much gone. The sparkle is there though.

Oddly enough, the bass guitar is in-line or slightly behind the singer. The singer's voice is well defined in this particular track. However when the saxophone comes into the song at 2:01, it seems behind the bass guitar again. When the guitar comes into the song at 3:01 it isn't in-your-face up-front, but it's slightly in front of the bass guitar.

M-100: +1 mostly

The Great Gig in the Sky
Immediately I notice that the piano is pretty far back on the stage, even in the beginning when there are no instruments playing. The piano's low notes kind of veil the voice later on in the track.

The female vocal "screaming" seems pretty distant behind the bass guitar and is overshadowed by the bass guitar, making the vocals less clear/defined than it should be. Even in the "solo" part half-way though the song, the piano and female vocals seem pretty distant to my ears. and the bass guitar is still in front-stage.

Like other tracks, the drumset seems to be pretty far away from everything except for the sparkle.

Pink Floyd is more progressive rock though.

As I've mentioned with Pearl Jam, the M-100's do an OK job with their music. I wouldn't really recommend the M-100 for that type of alternative rock. I've listened to their Binaural and Backspacer albums. The vocals and drumset are just too distant-sounding from the bass guitar and bass pedal most of the times that I think it takes away from a good "rock" experience.

Overall: -2 from my tests

Again, like I've been saying, the M-100 doesn't do these songs very well, but they don't sound terrible either. I just don't think the M-100 is an optimal headphone for rock music in general, and I even said this on the first post upon receiving the M-100. It sounds OK for symphonic metal bands I listen to (Nightwish, Moi dix Mois, Malice Mizer), but it's not the best.

Even though I don't like the HD-25-i-ii for my overall musical tastes, I do think it does rock music very well.
Tyll himself said:
Quote:
The Amperior is a crisper headphone than the M-100, you might miss the treble of the Amperior if you like it.

I would also say the SRH940 would be better-suited for rock music if you apply a slight bass boosting EQ at around 150 Hz and treble-reducing EQ at around 9000 Hz. The cymbals and drums are much much much much easier to follow, and the vocals and guitars take front, front stage (in-your-face). I listened to all of the above tracks with the SRH940 and it was a much more enjoyable "rock" experience for me than with the M-100. The SRH940 is fairly portable, being able to "fold-up", lie flat, has removable cables, and has velour pads which are large and spacious. They also go for around ~$250 USD nowadays.

In my SRH940 review, I mention:
Quote:
Despite the highs being prominent, they handle sibilance quite well, though they might be fatiguing to some.
Rock music sounds fantastic with the 940's with the prominent highs and forward vocals.
However, some rock tracks may sound odd with the 940's due to their lack of sufficient mid-bass and emphasized highs.

Mid-bass is around 150 Hz, emphasized highs are mainly due to the peak at around 9000 Hz, the sibilance is definitely pretty much non-existant when compared directly to an HD-25-i-ii (doesn't have the annoying ssssssss ssssounds in vocalsss, and essspecially female vocalsss).

Nov 18, 2012 at 8:15 AM Post #9,564 of 23,366
Quote:
How will v-moda m100 compare to the beyerdynamic custom one pro soundwise?

Well, I don't think I have read any feedback, good or bad, about the Custom One Pro except for one review a month or so ago that said they are okay with solid bass, but don't offer very good detail (I am paraphrasing).   Conversely, you will find hundreds of positive comments regarding the M-100 along with many favorable reviews.

Nov 18, 2012 at 8:27 AM Post #9,565 of 23,366
Quote:
*shrugs* YMMV, if what Anakchan and Tyll have been saying, the M-100's have been very well received by a large number of people in comparison to the other new offerings out there for the past few months. They won't be for everybody, but they'll find their place for what they offer.

I guess so.

Nov 18, 2012 at 8:27 AM Post #9,566 of 23,366
Quote:
Yeah I wouldn't say the M-100's sound that bad. The one guy only compared the M-100 to the L1. OK so there's ONE good headphone that's better than the M-100 for its price, but that doesn't mean the whole review needs to bash the M-100.

It is interesting to see the reactions for the M-100 though. Many people were genuinely expecting a more audiophile M-80 based on the hype from this thread. Instead the M-100 ended up being a very "fun" headphone with a nearly identical frequency response to the LP.

!!!

How are they different then?

Nov 18, 2012 at 11:00 AM Post #9,568 of 23,366

I made this little shield design yesterday, image was not drawn by myself but I changed all the colours and took out a bunch of shading.  I really hope they can do this design.  I realize the black lines won't be there in the final product so it wouldn't look exactly like this.  What do you guys think? Could it work? 

Nov 18, 2012 at 12:06 PM Post #9,569 of 23,366
Quote:

I made this little shield design yesterday, image was not drawn by myself but I changed all the colours and took out a bunch of shading.  I really hope they can do this design.  I realize the black lines won't be there in the final product so it wouldn't look exactly like this.  What do you guys think? Could it work? 

It'll work. Send me the original image, and I can vector it properly for you. If you send in a good, hi-res image, along with an image of how you want it applied on the shield, you'll have no problems.

As much as I say the M-100's weren't for me, I love the shield engraving V-MODA does, it makes the headphone truly "yours."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back