V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Nov 17, 2012 at 6:30 AM Post #9,531 of 23,366
Can anyone compare how the M-100 and LP2 sound signature's are different, I thought the whole idea behind the M-100 was to improve upon the M-80 signature. ie: balanced and detailed!
Also anyone else also think that the LP2's look quite a bit nicer with the flush cable port on one side, rather than the way they stick out on both sides on the m-100 somewhat spoiling the elegance and style of the design. Having it dual sided just seems like a bit of a gimmick to me.

Nov 17, 2012 at 7:56 AM Post #9,532 of 23,366
Quote:

He mentioned the D2000 a lot so I looked up the price:

http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AHD2000-Performance-Over-Ear-Headphones/dp/B000MVEC0Q

If that's the same one it's $150 more than the M-100, is it really worth comparing?

I've listened to the Momentums and I don't really think they compare across the whole spectrum. The one I'm most interested in is the Tiestos, I REALLY want to try them out.

Nov 17, 2012 at 8:38 AM Post #9,533 of 23,366
Even if the Tiesto headphones were good, I wouldn't be able to wear a headphone labelled with him. I'm fine with company names but any like that put me off. Wouldn't be able to show them off.

Hmm, I'm put off the M100s now though if I'm honest

Nov 17, 2012 at 10:43 AM Post #9,534 of 23,366
Can anyone compare how the M-100 and LP2 sound signature's are different, I thought the whole idea behind the M-100 was to improve upon the M-80 signature. ie: balanced and detailed!
Also anyone else also think that the LP2's look quite a bit nicer with the flush cable port on one side, rather than the way they stick out on both sides on the m-100 somewhat spoiling the elegance and style of the design. Having it dual sided just seems like a bit of a gimmick to me.

Based on the graphs it shows that it is similar to the original LP, meaning extremely over overpowering bass, but I don't think anyone has really said that it is like the LP. I don't think val would call it the M-100 and not the LP3 if he was going for extreme bass. I guess you really can't judge by graph. It helps but it's not 100% what we'll hear.

Nov 17, 2012 at 10:45 AM Post #9,535 of 23,366
Quote:
He mentioned the D2000 a lot so I looked up the price:

http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AHD2000-Performance-Over-Ear-Headphones/dp/B000MVEC0Q

If that's the same one it's $150 more than the M-100, is it really worth comparing?

I've listened to the Momentums and I don't really think they compare across the whole spectrum. The one I'm most interested in is the Tiestos, I REALLY want to try them out.

The D2000 is priced like that now because it was "retired"... so people inflate the prices. I bought my D5000 for LESS than that price listed! LOL

Still, I believe the M100 is better sounding than the D2000... but as always YMMV...

Nov 17, 2012 at 10:49 AM Post #9,536 of 23,366
Quote:
Based on the graphs it shows that it is similar to the original LP, meaning extremely over overpowering bass, but I don't think anyone has really said that it is like the LP. I don't think val would call it the M-100 and not the LP3 if he was going for extreme bass. I guess you really can't judge by graph. It helps but it's not 100% what we'll hear.

Yes, as I have said before, I consider the M-100 to more closely resemble an audiophile headphone with prominent bass than a pure basshead can.

Nov 17, 2012 at 11:30 AM Post #9,537 of 23,366
Sorry but the M-100 is not an audiophile headphone. An audiophile headphone is a neutral sig with no prominent embellishment in any of it's sig. The highs aren't natural sounding enough, the mids, especially the lower mids, have a slight recess, an the lows are by far to prominent and accentuated for this headphone to be considered a audiophile headphone. Take away the accentuated bass and the mids and highs are still not good enough for this can to be called an audiophile grade headphone. The M-100 in my opinion is a very good bass centric headphone which sounds a lot better then the average over priced garbage you buy in the box stores. Am I hating on the M-100? Not at all if truth be known I really like this headphone. All I'm trying to say with my post is lets please keep things in perspective so people who come on this thread don't expect one thing and wind up being disappointed when they receive their M-100 and hear something else.

I've noticed recently some people have expressed a little concern over a couple of reviews that were in the negative. If no one here minds me being blunt I'd like to chime in my views to the people who are getting cold feet.

If you like good bass and a fun sound signature you will like the M-100. If your genre of choice is mostly pop/hip hop/ electro etc the M-100 will serve you well in spades. But if you're looking for a balanced sound and crave realism and detail beyond all else this is not the headphone for you. The M-100 was tuned a specific way meaning it was tuned for modern mainstream music and as such it excels with that sort of music. If I want to listen to jazz by Nik Barsch Ronin or symphony from Mozart I go with my most neutral sounding IEM which is my Sony MDR EX 600. If I want to listen to say Arch Enemy or Insomnium I usually go with my Grado SR 60i. If I want to listen to the Crystal Method or Armin Van Burren I go with the M-100. I'm not saying the M-100 will sound terrible with other genres I'm saying it excels more in certain genres. Of coarse YMMV this is only my view.

For those interested, I've begun penning my final thoughts. I should have it up sometime next weekend and it will probably be a long review. I find myself having a lot to say concerning the M-100.

Nov 17, 2012 at 11:32 AM Post #9,538 of 23,366
I wasn't certain if I should be posting this here as well.  Mods, please remove if necessary.

I've owned the AKG K550 for approximately 5 months, the V-MODA M-100 approximately a month, and the PSB M4U 1 approximately 2 weeks.  Additionally, I had previously owned the M4U 2 -- PSB's active noise-cancelling variant -- for an estimated 3 weeks and, from memory, it shares more similarities than differences with its sibling.  My structuring of a formal comparison began several days ago with what I considered to be the finished product granted finalization earlier today.  Upon review, I concluded that it came off as obscenely self-important and overlong.  Given proper contextualization, my opinion is no more valid than that of any other enthusiast and I do not wish to portray myself contrarily.  I've opted to delete it and, in its stead, am writing a highly-distilled version within the span of approximately an hour. (my apologies in advance for any spelling/grammatical/formatting errors)  Since all three of these products have already been sufficiently detailed by others I will intentionally avoid making this an all-inclusive affair in terms of depth, but will put forth my best effort to promptly answer any questions regarding the proceeding.

Source Components:

Mid-2010 Macbook Pro (Snow Leopard)
Audirvana Plus (Exclusive/Direct/Integer enabled, 7168MB RAM allocated)
Audioquest DragonFly
FLAC Media (native sample rates)

Portability:

I'll get this out of the way early as I've auditioned these headphones exclusively for at-home listening.  I have no inclination to utilize any as portables but acknowledge that many do.  With that in mind, I have taken all three out of the house to get a feel for their on-the-go performance.  The M-100, as many would assume, was the clear winner.

​
From left to right: M-100 hardshell case, M4U hardshell case, and K550 deluxe polyethylene sleeve. (sold separately)

Much has already been said of the M-100's hinged design and, as displayed in the picture above, it certainly makes for a convenient form factor during transport.  The M4U series also features a collapsable design, albeit more traditionally implemented.  Both the PSB and V-MODA cases feature durable rubberized exteriors, felt-lined interiors, and heavy duty zippers.  The M-100 case, however, feels a bit more dense.  Included with both are removable cables with inline controls and microphones, but as I have little interest in them I cannot claim to have tested their functionality nor compatibility. (more on accessories later)  Both are comfortable when worn around the neck, but the M-100 allows for a greater sense of freedom when moving one's head.  Conversely, the K550 does not fold for transport, (although, it's the only one of the three that features swiveling cups permitting it to lay flat) doesn't come with a case, (nor does the K551) has a 10' non-removable cable devoid of inline controls, (the K551, however, features them) and is quite cumbersome.

Isolation and leakage for all three are acceptable with no clear winner between the three and all are efficient enough to be played sufficiently from a portable device.  However, I'm of the opinion that the M-100 presents both the most portable-friendly sound signature and physical design. (again, points that will be elaborated on later in this writeup)

1.   V-MODA M-100
2.   PSB M4U 1
3.   AKG K550

Accessories:

Two of these headphones present what I consider to be an exceptional value in terms of extras.

​
From left to right: M-100 accessories and documentation, M4U accessories and documentation, and K550... err... accessory and documentation.

The K550 includes a screw-on 1/8" to 1/4" adapter along with it's purely black and white, text-based documentation.  A barebones experience to be certain, but the adapter is a screw-on design -- a feature that I do consider to add value.

Conversely, the M-100 has a lot to offer in terms of accoutrements.  Firstly, it's important to note that the boom mic was only included for the earliest adopters (to be sold separately) and the Faders VIP earplugs (cannot comment as I have not used them) are likely a limited time offering.  As already noted, a durable carrying case is included along with an accompanying carabiner.  Also noted was the cable with inline controls/microphone which is complimented by a longer, more pliable feeling cable (both are cloth covered) that includes an attached dongle that allows for the source to be shared by another 1/8" compatible audio component.  I would've preferred what is essentially the audio-only cable to not have the extra appendage, but it's surprisingly unobtrusive and lightweight.  The 1/4" adapter is of the standard plug-and-play variety and the two cable ties that are included, as opposed to the comparative cans' stock twist ties, are nicely designed velcro.  The complimentary custom-etched shields add a level of customization (not to mention endearment) that most competing manufacturers simply can't touch, but the most interesting of the M-100's accessories are the corks in my opinion.  As the recent measurements posted at Innerfidelity exhibit, failing to close off the unused input in either the left or right cup causes a (slight) change in frequency response, so the ability to counteract this effect shows some impressive forethought by V-MODA engineers.  In my trials any perceived change in performance with or without the cork in place could all but definitely be attributed to placebo, but the added peace of mind along with a way to protect the port(s) from dust is surely a welcome feature.

Like the M-100, the M4U also includes a transport case, carabiner, a rather generic 1/4" adapter, and a cable with inline controls/mic.  The audio-only cable is exactly that: a straight cable terminated by 1/8" connectors on either end.  The PSB cables feature right-angled connections while V-MODA's sit at a rather unique 45 degrees.  The appealing cloth aesthetic is missing from the M4U cables, but the use of a rigid and slightly plasticky feeling rubber does cut down markedly in terms of microphonics. (the K550 is, in my opinion, the best of the three in this regard)  The included airline adapter would be a welcome inclusion for frequent travelers, but I personally have little use for it. (I drive whenever possible)  The main attractions, in my opinion, are the two accessories that I believe every headphone should include: a cleaning cloth and extra earpads.  The former is easily obtained, but welcomed nonetheless.  The latter, however, is a rarity and I applaud PSB for including them with the initial purchase.

This category is a tossup between the M-100 and M4U.  While I do consider the extra earpads to be the most coveted of the lot, it's tough to deny the way in which the V-MODA accessories are executed and it's my opinion that the form-fitting case, novel corks, beautiful cloth-covered cables and the personalized shields push it just slightly ahead of what the PSB offers.

1.   V-MODA M-100
2.   PSB M4U 1
3.   AKG K550

Materials and Aesthetics:

As hinted above, this is another round for the M-100.

​
Eye candy.

I've stated this elsewhere, but the M-100 is one of the most premium feeling headphones I've ever owned.  The reassuring weight, flawless finish, some of the nicest pleather pads (materials wise) I've ever experienced, and presence of both high-grade plastics and metals has prompted me to gawk at them time and again prior to starting a listening session.  I personally opted for the Shadow finish, and the microsuede headband looks and feels superb.  I anticipated that Shadow would have a sense of gaudiness with it's gloss black punctuated by red accents.  In actuality, it's pure class.  It also looks the best out of the three on the head and presents a sleek low-profile form factor.

The K550's biggest problem in this area is the cup size.  It's a HUGE headphone that engulfs your head and is certain to look bulky on most.  The pads don't feel as premium as either the V-MODA nor the PSB with the interiors exhibiting a similar crinkly effect to those found on cheaper headphones.  The combination of matte black soft-touch plastics and dark aluminum, however, both looks stunning and feels solid. (just not as aspiringly durable as the M-100)  Of the three compared I will admit that it's my favorite purely in terms of looks -- it's simply a handsome and mature looking headphone.

The design choices made with the M4U series are, frankly, a bit perplexing.  The M4U 2 originally came with a headband that was prone to cracking and that has been revised, but the plastic employed for its entirety both looks and feels cheap.  My black M4U 1 (purchased new) was already scratched and dinged in several places when I had received them and they show fingerprints very easily.  Looks-wise, while they're one in a long line that seem to take aesthetic queues from the Beats Studios, (a cheap looking headphone to start with, in my opinion) I feel that the curved, thick plastic that juts out to the sides makes it look more like a Jecklin Float when worn on the head than anything else.  It's not the worst wearing headphone I've owned, but I did find the correlation comedic.  As previously noted, the finish of the padding is quite good, but the way that the collapsable hinges click into place makes me a bit skeptical of their longterm reliability.

1.   V-MODA M-100
2.   AKG K550
3.   PSB M4U 1

Comfort:

Despite being the largest in terms of size, the K550 actually feels like the lightest of the three and this is especially true when worn.  Out of the box, I found that the clamping force was insufficient and the headband created a pressure point at the top of the head, but some judicious bending negated those issues.  I still would've liked a smaller setting as the tops of the earpads just barely stay off of my pinna, but this isn't necessarily bothersome.  In addition, some thicker padding both on the headband and earpads would've been welcome to both increase comfort and create a tighter seal.  After some hours they do exert some pressure on my jaw, however.

Before describing my comfort experiences with the M-100, it's important to remember that we're all physically different.  With that said, my round face and somewhat broad jawline does not lend itself well to its physical design.  The clamping force -- even after some headband bending -- is ever-present and the pads are a bit more dense than I'd prefer.  This equated to enough pressure on my temporomandibular joints to cause some fairly serious headaches that would last well into the following day.  Testing this and ruling out other factors took some time, but it's conclusively the offending stimulus.  Again, I do not wish for my statements concerning the M-100's comfort to be sensationalized as I'm certain that these headphones will physically work for the majority.  For me, however, they have made me re-prioritize proper fit in my headphone purchasing decisions.

The M4U 1 isn't terribly heavy, (unlike the noise canceling 2) but it does weigh rather significantly at the peak of my skull.  Instead of tapering the padding toward the center, it counterintuitively thickens.  Therefore, it's seated on a very specific point causing a distinct area of discomfort that prompts me to shift its positioning rather regularly.  Clamping pressure is above nominal causing pressure around my ears, but thanks to the plush pads it's not to the extent of the M-100.  My ears do tend to bottom out within the pads.  Surprisingly, this causes no additional discomfort.  Whereas the M-100 uses a rather stiff webbing to cover the drivers that caused chaffing to my antihelix, the PSB employs a t-shirt like material that I personally find completely benign.

The K550 wins overall in terms of comfort, but none of the three are my ideal.  In fact, it's my issues within this category that caused the delay of my written impressions.  As reference, I found the Sennheiser HD600/650 to perform very well for a larger padded 'phone (after some stretching... they clamp tightly when new) and the full-sized, circular-cupped Beyerdynamics to be nearly perfect. (if not a bit large)  For smaller circumaruals, the Ultrasone Edition 8 performed flawlessly for me.

1.   AKG K550
2.   PSB M4U 1
3.   V-MODA M-100

Sonic Performance:

Rankings within this category are highly reliant on personal preference -- both in terms of sound signature and content.  Personally, I find that the employment of genre labels is typically either outright confusing or a condemnation of banality.  To me, truly great music is highly innovative, broadly inspired, and created without a predisposed "target audience" or conventional standards in mind.  With that, I do prioritize versatility above all else making an even tonal balance and resolution coveted sonic attributes.

Of the three, the M-100 is the most apparently colored.  Leading with the obvious, much has already been stated about its emphasized bass.  It authoritatively has the most presence of the three, but I do find it to be tighter and better textured than that of the K550.  New out of the box it was a bit unwieldy, but after accruing some hours (I don't think it took more than 30-50 hours before changes stopped being noticeable) it gained a sense of distinct control.  Directly from a portable player I did perceive some bleeding into the mids, but with the right complimentary chain (Audirvana Plus feeding the D-Fly) this disappeared completely.  Midrange frequencies are nicely resolved with a good sense of tonal weight but, unfortunately, recessed within the entire spectrum.  Still, mids-forward mixes -- particularly those with vocals -- are presented with immersively lifelike timbre.  Treble is forward but I do not find it to be harsh or etched.  There are no noticeable peaks nor shrillness, but it does noticeably lack extension into the highest of highs.  In fact, I think it's this lack of information that helps contribute to an overall smooth presentation.  In this smoothness, detail retrieval lags behind the other two headphones.  Subtleties are lost which, unfortunately for some compositions, means that so is the ambiance.  For some, it's desirable to have a headphone that counteracts typically audible noise floors or other issues with less than clean mixes.  For me, however, this is simply missing information that can make or break my connection to a piece of music.  Soundstage size is laterally spacious and ahead of the PSB in this regard, but not terribly deep.  Instrument separation is sufficient, but placement can sometimes take a hit due to the uneven frequency response.

The K550 presents better tonal balance than the M-100, but I do find that the high-treble can sometimes come too far forward and manifest a sense of an instrument (violin, in particular) becoming detached from the rest of the piece.  This doesn't happen often, mind you.  As alluded to above, the bass is somewhat dispersed and indistinct but doesn't veil the midrange either.  Quantity-wise, I would say that it's the closest to accurate of the three.  The midrange stays in lockstep with the bass and, when considering the slight push toward toward treble, this creates a tip toward brightness.  Apart from the infrequent treble spike, the presentation is distant from the listener and presented within a large sense of space.  This gives a desirable enhancement of concert hall and/or live performance recordings, but music that relies on impact can sound dry and lack a sense of engagement.  Again, soundstaging is more laterally-focused but does have a better sense of height than that of the M-100.  What is wonky about its presentation, however, is that I find instruments to be presented as "wider/stretched" across the center of the image while those to the left and right seem thin but occupying a better defined space.  Detail retrieval good, but with the treble emphasis comes the impression that those in the high-range are too apparent and some flaws can be put under a microscope because of it.  It's also worth noting that a proper seal is crucial to the K550's performance as any gaps cause a loss of tonal body and bass.  

To my ears, the M4U 1 is far and away the best sounding of the three.  There is a bit of pronunciation to the bass, but there's nothing "excited" about it either and it's incredibly well-tempered, defined, and fast.  Other than that, tonality sounds very neutral to my ears and shows great extension in both directions.  They were slightly bright out of the box, but after getting some hours on the drivers my impressions aligned well with what I heard from the M4U 2 ran passively. (preferred it to active)  However, I owned the 2 before purchasing the DragonFly and was also an Amarra user at the time. (murkier than Audirvana Plus/Direct with added weight and warmth)  With my current setup, the M4U's detail retrieval and imaging is incredibly impressive.  There's a slight sense of smoothness to the presentation that negates the fatigue inherent to treble-heavy recordings without masking details, hindering the 3D presentation of individual textures, or negating its sense of airiness.  It can be honest to a fault as some productions can come across as sounding too digital. (tough to describe, but clearly part of the content and not a direct coloration of the headphone)  Soundstage size is the smallest of the three headphones, but it's also the most cohesive.  It's as deep as it is wide with wonderfully distinct instrument separation/placement and it's apparent that transient response is the fastest of the three.  I previously described the M4U 1 as a headphone that "gets out of the way of the music" and that doesn't "romanticise" content and I stand by that statement.

Paul Barton and his team certainly didn't let their loudspeaker pedigree go to waste and, yes, they're taking an entry into the crowded headphone market very seriously.  The M-100 and the K550 both have their own distinct strengths and weaknesses with the former giving the impression that all of its performance attributes were deliberately designed-in, but the latter does have a better sense of versatility in relation to my listening habits.  Therefore, they rank as follows for my assessment of their sonic performance:

1.   PSB M4U 1
2.   AKG K550
3.   V-MODA M-100

Conclusion and General Ramblings:

Again, it's important to note that mine is one opinion amongst many.  The M4U 1 wins on sound, the K550 on comfort, and the M-100 on portability.  I enjoy all three and consider them very, very good headphones.

As I was writing my (ultimately scrapped) long form comparison, I came to the realization that the more I can write about a headphone's performance, the less that I enjoy it.  I don't want "fun."  I don't want a "big" or "spacious" sound.  I don't want a headphone that "digs deep" for details.  For me, the absence of these and other obvious adjectives is desirable.  In short, I just want to hear my music.  All headphones have colorations, of course, and it's especially difficult to design a closed-back can that doesn't add an apparent flavoring.  My needs call for isolation thereby limiting my options.  From the dozens of headphones I've owned/auditioned, the PSB M4U 1 fits my sonic preferences better than any other. (save for the HD600, but that's open-backed)  Disappointingly, I do find the comfort issues to be a deal breaker.  If I can't use a headphone to listen to multiple albums on end without discomfort, then they're simply no use to me.  I will be sending back my current pair for a refund, but may opt to pick up another (in gray to mask the scratching/dinging issues) if I'm unable to find another option.  If I end up doing this, I will attempt to replace the headband padding with something better contoured.

I will be parting ways with both the M4U 1 and M-100 in short order.  I will, however, be keeping a close eye on both PSB and V-MODA's future offerings.  The former manufacturer certainly knows how to craft an excellent sound signature while the latter has shown a unique dedication to their customer base that I do recognize as highly commendable.  The K550 will be kept for the time being until I can confidently find an endgame solution.  In expanding my research, I was directed toward an option that I haven't considered in some time: IEMs.  Etymotics, in particular, seem well suited to my needs.  I purchased an HF5 from Amazon's Warehouse Deals that, unfortunately, arrived with what seemed to be defective drivers that distorted in the sub bass frequencies.  Apart from this, I was VERY impressed with their lack of audible adjectives after finding a good seal.  My major issue with IEMs has always been comfort and these were no different.  With Etymotic's custom molding program, however, I'm looking at around $200 all-in and physicality problems should then be a non-issue.  I estimate that the investment is worth a shot, so I've placed my order for a new set.  In addition, since I would still like to have a full-sized headphone to utilize as a secondary point of reference I've ordered a KRK KNS 8400. (said to be flat and un-hyped)  It was a cheap investment, so I'll trial it against the K550 and keep one of them.

Nov 17, 2012 at 11:40 AM Post #9,539 of 23,366
Has anyone compared the M-100 to the Ultrasone Pro 900? From what I've read, the M-100 share the same sound signature as the Pro 900 (perhaps with less sharp highs?). I wonder if they would be a good portable alternative for the Pro 900 (as much as I love them, they are too big for everyday use IMO)

Nov 17, 2012 at 11:46 AM Post #9,540 of 23,366
Quote:
Has anyone compared the M-100 to the Ultrasone Pro 900? From what I've read, the M-100 share the same sound signature as the Pro 900 (perhaps with less sharp highs?). I wonder if they would be a good portable alternative for the Pro 900 (as much as I love them, they are too big for everyday use IMO)

To my ears, they are not even close, particularly the harsh, grating highs on the Pro 900 reminiscent of nails on a chalkboard compared to silky smooth, if less extended, highs with no sibilance on the M-100.  Bass is more prominent on the Pro 900 but more controlled on the M-100.  It's not that I don't like Ultrasone- I am a fan of the Edition 8 and Sig Pro, but the Pro 900 is actually painful to my ears with such a dramatic v-curve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back