V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Nov 14, 2012 at 3:21 PM Post #9,466 of 23,366
Quote:
Does anyone have a list of recommended mods for the M-100's? Should be getting them next month and want to have everything ready. Also, does anyone have any thoughts/comparisons of how the M-100 performs with FiiO products? My baseline are HD25's and a customized pair of Grado woodies with v4 Magnums in them. How do you guys think the M-100 compares to them? I went with the 100's because I loved the 80's...and my wife HATES the Grado's lol...something about..."I can hear those all the way in the other room..." or some such nonsense...I have no idea what she's talking about...LOL

The only real mod out there right now is basically just to stuff something under the earpads on the back.  It's mostly just to help with the comfort though, but it can balance out the sound a bit.

Nov 14, 2012 at 4:09 PM Post #9,467 of 23,366
Quote:
The only real mod out there right now is basically just to stuff something under the earpads on the back.  It's mostly just to help with the comfort though, but it can balance out the sound a bit.

Gotcha. Thank you.

Nov 14, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #9,468 of 23,366
Quote:

Thank you for your support sir. Means alot to myself and the other guys out here.

You're welcome. No sir needed here. I'm just an electrician who has some friends serving over there. Do you know a John James by any chance? He's a gunner on a Rhino over there in your neck of hell.

Nov 14, 2012 at 5:12 PM Post #9,470 of 23,366
Excellent. PM yours and I'll have John look for you as well man. Stay safe, keep your head down.

We're thankful and you have family waiting for you at home!

Thank you again for your service!

Steve from NYC

Nov 14, 2012 at 6:16 PM Post #9,472 of 23,366
Quote:
Yes please, anyone who has tried some Alternative Rock if they could share how the m-100 performs with this genre would be appreciated. Hip-hop and rap will easily satisfy me but i'm slightly concerned that the bass might be too present in the mix for Alternative. 

Wow this was posted a week ago and there has been exactly 300 posts since then. :xf_eek:

I got Pearl Jam's Binaural album...it sounds OK for home listening. The singer's voice seems pretty distant/quiet relative to the guitars, bass guitar, and bass pedal.
When I listened to the first 3 tracks, I couldn't tell the album was recorded with binaural technology, it sounded like any other album. Again, the L/R imaging of the M-100 isn't a strong point as I immediately noticed the binaural recorded instruments with the SRH940 (the drumset and singer are placed to the left of the "dummy microphone" in Evacuation).

Quote:
Does anyone have a list of recommended mods for the M-100's? Should be getting them next month and want to have everything ready. Also, does anyone have any thoughts/comparisons of how the M-100 performs with FiiO products? My baseline are HD25's and a customized pair of Grado woodies with v4 Magnums in them. How do you guys think the M-100 compares to them? I went with the 100's because I loved the 80's...and my wife HATES the Grado's lol...something about..."I can hear those all the way in the other room..." or some such nonsense...I have no idea what she's talking about...LOL

How I did the mod

Paper towel info:
Brand: Up & Up (I think this is Target's house brand)
Size: 11 in (27.94 cm) X 10.4 in (26.416 cm)
Layering: 2-ply
  • Take the paper towel and tear/cut it into fourths
  • Using one of the fourths, tear/cut it in half
  • Fold each of these so that you are left with 2 long strips (see second photo)
  • Use one of these pieces in each earcup (I lined the right, bottom, and left sides of the earcup)
  • Repeat steps 2-3
  • Cut one of these pieces in half so you have 2 shorter pieces
  • Use one of those pieces in each earcup so that each earcup has 1.5 long strips (I lined the upper right, top, and upper-left parts of the earcup). In the top photo, the smaller piece is the other half of a fourth that is leftover.

Sound
  1. The bass is reduced in quantity, making it sound more balanced with the rest of the audio spectrum
  2. The midrange is more forward and details are clearer to hear
  3. The highs are much easier to hear (in particular the cymbals, which is the one main area of the unmodded M-100 that I think could have been improved; they are muuuuch better defined with the mod and they still remain not sibilant to my ears)
  4. Surprisingly the soundstage seems to have gotten wider too. It sounds much more spacious with the mod. This soundstage can rival the SRH940 in my A/B comparison on my MacBook + Audirvana Plus + FiiO E7 setup (it's still not as wide, but it's much wider and deeper than the unmodded M-100)

Headphone:
  1. As for fit, yes the pads are stiffer, but my ears no longer touch the driver enclosure as much, so it's more comfortable as a whole.

Test tracks:
Joanna Wang - Lost In Paradise (the vocals are brought more forward and sound a little clearer)
Battles - Futura (the bass pedal isn't emphasised as much, but the punch is still there, so the cymbals are easier to hear; drummer-mode is activated! :)) )
Cloudkicker - Amy I Love You (same result as ^)
Ottmar Liebert - Snakecharmer (the guitar seems more up-front)
Massive Attack - Teardrop (the bass isn't as prominent, but it sounds more balanced to me; the "ssss" vocals are still sharp as before probably due to the recording, but they are again not ear-grating like they were on the SRH940)
Fourplay - Chant
Modded
good instrument separation
drum up front
drum pedal has punch, a little too much for me
bass guitar is very prominent, and has lots of authority
cymbals ts ts ts audible, more in background (quiet)
snare drum easily heard, back on stage
1:11 very good left/right imaging, lots of air between instruments
voices in background in front of snare drum a few steps
other drums have very forward sound
1:40 voices slightly in front of drums, front stage, bass guitar in front of drums (well defined notes)
piano is very clear, in front of drums and background vocals, front stage
2:50 guitar? now takes front stage, piano good distance away, bass next to piano, cymbals barely audible
cymbals clearly defined, nice authority
very good L/R imaging for drumset
5:50, cymbal ting ting ting ting audible, voices in front, bass guitar slightly behind voices

Unmodded
drum up front, but more behind than modded, tonality seems off (sounds flatter in sound)
drum pedal has more punch
bass guitar is not as clear, (bu duuuuum ditto dooom, doom part is much quieter than modded), but louder than modded overall
cymbals ts ts ts ts is barely audible, still in background
1:11 ok left/right imaging (less wide)
snare drum easily heard, might cover "doom", seems farther back than modded
voices in background seem further back than before, but still in front of drums
decent left/right imaging, not as wide
1:40 main vocals seem quieter than bass guitar (doom doom doom doom doom bass), bass guitar in front stage, notes not well defined
piano is clearly defined again, not as forward, but in front of drumset and bass guitar, behind background voices (sound nasally)
2:50 guitar takes front stage, piano behind, bass guitar in front of piano (overshadows)
cymbals clearly defined, way behind vocals
good L/R imaging for drumset
5:34, cymbal ting ting ting ting audible, next to voices, bass guitar in front

Overall, modded sounds like a wider stage with better instrument separation, but not as deep (sounds like 1st row in a concert?), unmodded sounds like a deeper stage with less width and the bass guitar is more forward in the stage (sounds like 10th row in a concert? more reverb sound?).

Listening in a noisy environment

After trying the M-100 at school and on the bus, I concluded that:
Modded
  1. It does have better noise isolation but not a whole lot more, as I mentioned. The bus's engine noise was drowned out a bit more, especially the higher frequencies.
  2. Cymbal crashes and other higher frequency sounds were more apparent than unmodded

Unmodded
  1. The U-shaped sound is more preferable, to me, while walking on campus/with extra background noises
  2. The bass was more easily heard over the outside noise than the modded version, so it was actually really pleasant to hear the bass guitars in some tracks over people's conversations
  3. Laid back lower midrange was harder to hear over outside noise, but the upper mids were nicely balanced with the bass (snare drum and cymbal hits can get a bit fatiguing though)
  4. The quieter [upper?] treble was also more pleasant to my ear since it's not fatiguing (the modded version was a similar experience with my SRH940, too little bass and lower mids, too much upper mids and highs)

Isolation test
Test track played on $20 desktop speakers: Quincy Jones - Back on the Block
(M-100 is not connected to anything, cable is removed from earcup)

Modded
Isolation is pretty good
Most of the highs are blocked out
The mids/vocals are somewhat blocked out (I can still hear the singer's lyrics and the background "ooo waaai eee ooh")
Bass guitar is kind of audible

Unmodded
Isolation is still pretty good
More of the highs come through to me (the snare drum's hit is more audible), but they're still mostly blocked out
The mids/vocals, just like the highs are a tad bit louder to me (the lyrics are more distinguishable)
The bass guitar is is also more audible
Overall there is slightly more noise isolation when modded, but it's not a deal-breaker.
Both versions isolate a decent amount. With this mod, the higher and upper-midrange frequencies are blocked out more. They don't isolate as much as the SRH940, which I thought was good (Innerfidelity says it has a -14 dB isolation rating, which is about average for a full-sized headphone), but it's pretty close.

Soundstage test

Using this video as a test for the soundstage, it gave me a good sense of the M-100's soundstage.
Unmodded
  1. I definitely sense more depth than width as I've mentioned before. The two sentries at the L/R locations at 1:48 in the video seem to be more diagonal L/R, giving a larger sense of depth. On the SRH940, the L/R locations are much more accurate from my quick listen, and the echo effects in the TF2 room makes the room much more realistic-sounding than the M-100 relatively speaking.

Modded
  1. Wow OK this is kind of scaring me. With this mod, the soundstage IS in fact wider as I previously mentioned as well. The L/R imaging of the sentries is more accurate (L/R as opposed to diagonally behind L/R) and the echoes of the sentries in the room make the room sound much larger than it was in the unmodded version....this larger soundstage actually does rival the SRH940, also as mentioned before.
    blink.gif

I've been switching from modded to unmodded and the sound difference is very clear to me. The best thing about this mod is that it's completely reversible and is easy to do.

DigitalFreak suggested a different mod that uses smaller paper towel pieces.

Setup: MacBook + Audirvana Plus (integer mode, exclusive access mode, use max I/O buffer size, best quality sample rate conversion) + FiiO E7 (volume level 05, bass boost 0)
Track used: Fourplay - Chant

DigitalFreak Modded
very good instrument separation
drum up front, mid-stage
lots of bass pedal punch
bass guitar in front of drums, very prominent, well-defined notes
cymbals ts ts ts ts audible
vocals up closer to front stage
good L/R imaging
bass guitar in front (dun dun dun dun dun sound), cymbals behind vocals
piano slightly in front of bass guitar, drumset behind
guitar takes front stage, bass guitar behind, piano behind bass guitar, drumset behind that
3:29 very clear cymbals and drums, vocals slightly in front, bass guitar behind vocals
5:50 cymbal ting ting ting ting present, next to bass guitar, vocals in front, piano slightly behind

Unmodded
ok instrument separation
drum further back
more bass pedal punch
bass guitar in front, VERY prominent (I can feel it rumbling my gut), slightly slurred notes
cymbals ts ts ts ts barely audible (bass guitar/pedal overshadows)
vocals next or slightly behind bass guitar
OK L/R imaging
bass guitar in very front (dun dun dun dun dun sound), cymbals next to vocals
piano in front of drums, behind bass, vocals slightly in front of piano
guitar takes front stage next to bass guitar, piano behind both, cymbals barely audible
3:29 cymbals sound lacking in higher ring, vocals next to or slightly behind drumset
5:50 cymbal ting ting ting ting back on stage, vocals slightly in front, piano next to vocals, bass guitar slightly behind vocals/piano

miceblue Modded
excellent good instrument separation (lots of air between instruments)
drum up front, mid-stage
least bass pedal punch, still good though
bass guitar slightly in front of drums, prominent, well-defined notes
cymbals ts ts ts ts is audible
vocals closer to front stage
very good L/R imaging
bass guitar in front (dun dun dun dun dun sound), vocals very slightly behind, drums slightly behind vocals
piano in front stage, bass guitar behind, vocals slightly in front of bass guitar
guitar in front stage, piano slightly behind, bass guitar behind in front of drumset
3:29 very clear cymbals and drums, vocals in front of drumset, bass guitar slightly in front of drumset
5:50 cymbal ting ting ting ting present very clear, vocals in front, piano slightly behind bass guitar next to drums

Overall impressions, DigitalFreak's mod is mid-way between miceblue's mod and not modded. miceblue's mod seems to have better instrument separation and stage width, but at the loss of some bass impact/presence, sounds more balanced overall. DigitalFreak's mod still retains the M-100's signature bass but is more clearly defined/cleaner and the midrange is brought more forward as well as having clearer treble.

Given the slight differences between mods, I could actually go for either! They both sounded good to me for that particular track.
I like DigitalFreak's mod a little more since 1) it retains the signature M-100 sound for the most part, and 2) it's easier to install. My mod, on the other hand, significantly changes the sound and it's much more cumbersome to install.

The FiiO E7 pairs pretty nicely with the M-100. The E7 has a pretty wide soundstage so it compliments the M-100. The whole sound spectrum sounds a bit cleaner with the E7 and the chest-hitting bass is increased.

Grado's have a signature completely different from the M-100. The M-100's treble might disappoint you when coming from a Grado, and the lower-midrange (male vocals) is pretty laid back. I'd say give it a shot, you actually might like the M-100.

Nov 14, 2012 at 8:06 PM Post #9,473 of 23,366
Quote:

This might be like a Westone 3 in frequency response except for the more laid back treble in the M-100 (but not dark, and Tyll agrees).  And the W3 don't have quite as much bass in the 200-300Hz range.  The M-100 are not as detailed, but yeah, W3 lovers will most likely enjoy these.  I think HD650 lovers who want a portable headphone will also go for this, if they want a little bump over the bass that they get from their HD650.

Then it's settled! I am getting these! I Loved my W3 but they are about to break. I also wanted a little more sub-bass from my W3 due to the mid-bass hump. Too bad the highs aren't as good as the W3's, but as long as I can still hear the cymbals nice, clear, and sparkly.

Nov 14, 2012 at 10:45 PM Post #9,474 of 23,366
Quote:
Then it's settled! I am getting these! I Loved my W3 but they are about to break. I also wanted a little more sub-bass from my W3 due to the mid-bass hump. Too bad the highs aren't as good as the W3's, but as long as I can still hear the cymbals nice, clear, and sparkly.

Mind you, that means a little more laid back treble than W3 that are using Complys tips, but the M-100 wont ever get fatiguing and you'll still hear the cymbals and ambience.  It's just not as present as with the W3.  The momentum I heard at RMAF were brighter, so I'd worry those could get fatiguing like the HD25-1 and Amperior (based on initial impressions with Momentum at RMAF).

Nov 14, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #9,475 of 23,366
Quote:
Wow this was posted a week ago and there has been exactly 300 posts since then. :xf_eek:

I got Pearl Jam's Binaural album...it sounds OK for home listening. The singer's voice seems pretty distant/quiet relative to the guitars, bass guitar, and bass pedal.
When I listened to the first 3 tracks, I couldn't tell the album was recorded with binaural technology, it sounded like any other album. Again, the L/R imaging of the M-100 isn't a strong point as I immediately noticed the binaural recorded instruments with the SRH940 (the drumset and singer are placed to the left of the "dummy microphone" in Evacuation).

How I did the mod

Paper towel info:
Brand: Up & Up (I think this is Target's house brand)
Size: 11 in (27.94 cm) X 10.4 in (26.416 cm)
Layering: 2-ply
  • Take the paper towel and tear/cut it into fourths
  • Using one of the fourths, tear/cut it in half
  • Fold each of these so that you are left with 2 long strips (see second photo)
  • Use one of these pieces in each earcup (I lined the right, bottom, and left sides of the earcup)
  • Repeat steps 2-3
  • Cut one of these pieces in half so you have 2 shorter pieces
  • Use one of those pieces in each earcup so that each earcup has 1.5 long strips (I lined the upper right, top, and upper-left parts of the earcup). In the top photo, the smaller piece is the other half of a fourth that is leftover.

Sound
  1. The bass is reduced in quantity, making it sound more balanced with the rest of the audio spectrum
  2. The midrange is more forward and details are clearer to hear
  3. The highs are much easier to hear (in particular the cymbals, which is the one main area of the unmodded M-100 that I think could have been improved; they are muuuuch better defined with the mod and they still remain not sibilant to my ears)
  4. Surprisingly the soundstage seems to have gotten wider too. It sounds much more spacious with the mod. This soundstage can rival the SRH940 in my A/B comparison on my MacBook + Audirvana Plus + FiiO E7 setup (it's still not as wide, but it's much wider and deeper than the unmodded M-100)

Headphone:
  1. As for fit, yes the pads are stiffer, but my ears no longer touch the driver enclosure as much, so it's more comfortable as a whole.

Test tracks:
Joanna Wang - Lost In Paradise (the vocals are brought more forward and sound a little clearer)
Battles - Futura (the bass pedal isn't emphasised as much, but the punch is still there, so the cymbals are easier to hear; drummer-mode is activated! :)) )
Cloudkicker - Amy I Love You (same result as ^)
Ottmar Liebert - Snakecharmer (the guitar seems more up-front)
Massive Attack - Teardrop (the bass isn't as prominent, but it sounds more balanced to me; the "ssss" vocals are still sharp as before probably due to the recording, but they are again not ear-grating like they were on the SRH940)
Fourplay - Chant
Modded
drum up front
drum pedal has punch, a little too much for me
bass guitar is very prominent, and has lots of authority
cymbals ts ts ts audible, more in background (quiet)
snare drum easily heard, back on stage
1:11 very good left/right imaging, lots of air between instruments
voices in background in front of snare drum a few steps
other drums have very forward sound
1:40 voices slightly in front of drums, front stage, bass guitar in front of drums (well defined notes)
piano is very clear, in front of drums and background vocals, front stage
2:50 guitar? now takes front stage, piano good distance away, bass next to piano, cymbals barely audible
cymbals clearly defined, nice authority
very good L/R imaging for drumset
5:50, cymbal ting ting ting ting audible, voices in front, bass guitar slightly behind voices

Unmodded
drum up front, but more behind than modded, tonality seems off (sounds flatter in sound)
drum pedal has more punch
bass guitar is not as clear, (bu duuuuum ditto dooom, doom part is much quieter than modded), but louder than modded overall
cymbals ts ts ts ts is barely audible, still in background
1:11 ok left/right imaging (less wide)
snare drum easily heard, might cover "doom", seems farther back than modded
voices in background seem further back than before, but still in front of drums
decent left/right imaging, not as wide
1:40 main vocals seem quieter than bass guitar (doom doom doom doom doom bass), bass guitar in front stage, notes not well defined
piano is clearly defined again, not as forward, but in front of drumset and bass guitar, behind background voices (sound nasally)
2:50 guitar takes front stage, piano behind, bass guitar in front of piano (overshadows)
cymbals clearly defined, way behind vocals
good L/R imaging for drumset
5:34, cymbal ting ting ting ting audible, next to voices, bass guitar in front

Overall, modded sounds like a wider stage with better instrument separation, but not as deep (sounds like 1st row in a concert?), unmodded sounds like a deeper stage with less width and the bass guitar is more forward in the stage (sounds like 10th row in a concert? more reverb sound?).

Listening in a noisy environment

After trying the M-100 at school and on the bus, I concluded that:
Modded
  1. It does have better noise isolation but not a whole lot more, as I mentioned. The bus's engine noise was drowned out a bit more, especially the higher frequencies.
  2. Cymbal crashes and other higher frequency sounds were more apparent than unmodded

Unmodded
  1. The U-shaped sound is more preferable, to me, while walking on campus/with extra background noises
  2. The bass was more easily heard over the outside noise than the modded version, so it was actually really pleasant to hear the bass guitars in some tracks over people's conversations
  3. Laid back lower midrange was harder to hear over outside noise, but the upper mids were nicely balanced with the bass (snare drum and cymbal hits can get a bit fatiguing though)
  4. The quieter [upper?] treble was also more pleasant to my ear since it's not fatiguing (the modded version was a similar experience with my SRH940, too little bass and lower mids, too much upper mids and highs)

Isolation test
Test track played on $20 desktop speakers: Quincy Jones - Back on the Block
(M-100 is not connected to anything, cable is removed from earcup)

Modded
Isolation is pretty good
Most of the highs are blocked out
The mids/vocals are somewhat blocked out (I can still hear the singer's lyrics and the background "ooo waaai eee ooh")
Bass guitar is kind of audible

Unmodded
Isolation is still pretty good
More of the highs come through to me (the snare drum's hit is more audible), but they're still mostly blocked out
The mids/vocals, just like the highs are a tad bit louder to me (the lyrics are more distinguishable)
The bass guitar is is also more audible
Overall there is slightly more noise isolation when modded, but it's not a deal-breaker.
Both versions isolate a decent amount. With this mod, the higher and upper-midrange frequencies are blocked out more. They don't isolate as much as the SRH940, which I thought was good (Innerfidelity says it has a -14 dB isolation rating, which is about average for a full-sized headphone), but it's pretty close.

Soundstage test

Using this video as a test for the soundstage, it gave me a good sense of the M-100's soundstage.
Unmodded
  1. I definitely sense more depth than width as I've mentioned before. The two sentries at the L/R locations at 1:48 in the video seem to be more diagonal L/R, giving a larger sense of depth. On the SRH940, the L/R locations are much more accurate from my quick listen, and the echo effects in the TF2 room makes the room much more realistic-sounding than the M-100 relatively speaking.

Modded
  1. Wow OK this is kind of scaring me. With this mod, the soundstage IS in fact wider as I previously mentioned as well. The L/R imaging of the sentries is more accurate (L/R as opposed to diagonally behind L/R) and the echoes of the sentries in the room make the room sound much larger than it was in the unmodded version....this larger soundstage actually does rival the SRH940, also as mentioned before.
    blink.gif

I've been switching from modded to unmodded and the sound difference is very clear to me. The best thing about this mod is that it's completely reversible and is easy to do.

DigitalFreak suggested a different mod that uses smaller paper towel pieces.

Setup: MacBook + Audirvana Plus (integer mode, exclusive access mode, use max I/O buffer size, best quality sample rate conversion) + FiiO E7 (volume level 05, bass boost 0)
Track used: Fourplay - Chant

DigitalFreak Modded
very good instrument separation
drum up front, mid-stage
lots of bass pedal punch
bass guitar in front of drums, very prominent, well-defined notes
cymbals ts ts ts ts audible
vocals up closer to front stage
good L/R imaging
bass guitar in front (dun dun dun dun dun sound), cymbals behind vocals
piano slightly in front of bass guitar, drumset behind
guitar takes front stage, bass guitar behind, piano behind bass guitar, drumset behind that
3:29 very clear cymbals and drums, vocals slightly in front, bass guitar behind vocals
5:50 cymbal ting ting ting ting present, next to bass guitar, vocals in front, piano slightly behind

Unmodded
ok instrument separation
drum further back
more bass pedal punch
bass guitar in front, VERY prominent (I can feel it rumbling my gut), slightly slurred notes
cymbals ts ts ts ts barely audible (bass guitar/pedal overshadows)
vocals next or slightly behind bass guitar
OK L/R imaging
bass guitar in very front (dun dun dun dun dun sound), cymbals next to vocals
piano in front of drums, behind bass, vocals slightly in front of piano
guitar takes front stage next to bass guitar, piano behind both, cymbals barely audible
3:29 cymbals sound lacking in higher ring, vocals next to or slightly behind drumset
5:50 cymbal ting ting ting ting back on stage, vocals slightly in front, piano next to vocals, bass guitar slightly behind vocals/piano

miceblue Modded
excellent good instrument separation (lots of air between instruments)
drum up front, mid-stage
least bass pedal punch, still good though
bass guitar slightly in front of drums, prominent, well-defined notes
cymbals ts ts ts ts is audible
vocals closer to front stage
very good L/R imaging
bass guitar in front (dun dun dun dun dun sound), vocals very slightly behind, drums slightly behind vocals
piano in front stage, bass guitar behind, vocals slightly in front of bass guitar
guitar in front stage, piano slightly behind, bass guitar behind in front of drumset
3:29 very clear cymbals and drums, vocals in front of drumset, bass guitar slightly in front of drumset
5:50 cymbal ting ting ting ting present very clear, vocals in front, piano slightly behind bass guitar next to drums

Overall impressions, DigitalFreak's mod is mid-way between miceblue's mod and not modded. miceblue's mod seems to have better instrument separation and stage width, but at the loss of some bass impact/presence, sounds more balanced overall. DigitalFreak's mod still retains the M-100's signature bass but is more clearly defined/cleaner and the midrange is brought more forward as well as having clearer treble.

Given the slight differences between mods, I could actually go for either! They both sounded good to me for that particular track.
I like DigitalFreak's mod a little more since 1) it retains the signature M-100 sound for the most part, and 2) it's easier to install. My mod, on the other hand, significantly changes the sound and it's much more cumbersome to install.

The FiiO E7 pairs pretty nicely with the M-100. The E7 has a pretty wide soundstage so it compliments the M-100. The whole sound spectrum sounds a bit cleaner with the E7 and the chest-hitting bass is increased.

Grado's have a signature completely different from the M-100. The M-100's treble might disappoint you when coming from a Grado, and the lower-midrange (male vocals) is pretty laid back. I'd say give it a shot, you actually might like the M-100.

Wow thank you for this! This is a big help for me when they arrive. I have both an E7 and a E17...so I guess they'll be ok witih the M100's. I love my Grado's but I also loved the M80's...so I'm hoping I've found a can that's quiet enough for the Mrs...where I can rock out and read or just decompress after a days work without getting bitched at! LOL

All the mods seem easy enough to do...after ripping apart the Grado's with the help of guys from here....I think anything is possible after that. I'm really curious about the different sound signatures that can come from just adding the paper towels!

I think I made the right choice.Thanks again!

Nov 15, 2012 at 12:23 AM Post #9,476 of 23,366
Quote:

Mind you, that means a little more laid back treble than W3 that are using Complys tips, but the M-100 wont ever get fatiguing and you'll still hear the cymbals and ambience.  It's just not as present as with the W3.  The momentum I heard at RMAF were brighter, so I'd worry those could get fatiguing like the HD25-1 and Amperior (based on initial impressions with Momentum at RMAF).

Even WITH Comply? That's crazy. UM56 retains all the highs while making the bass ever so slightly more powerful. I will miss that. I'm sure I'll like the M-100 if you say W3 lovers will like it.

Nov 15, 2012 at 1:08 AM Post #9,477 of 23,366
Quote:
Even WITH Comply? That's crazy. UM56 retains all the highs while making the bass ever so slightly more powerful. I will miss that. I'm sure I'll like the M-100 if you say W3 lovers will like it.

If I like it, Tyll likes it, and Jude likes it you will.

Nov 15, 2012 at 1:53 AM Post #9,478 of 23,366
Quote:
The M-100 hits all these check boxes for me.  While I respect miceblue's opinion and the extensive time and effort placed in his review and comments, I disagree with the conclusion as they seem highly critical of what I consider to be the best sounding headphone in their price range and and close to my ideal of perfection in a headphone I have heard anywhere near its price range.  The tight, punchy bass in particular stands out among any headphone in their price range.  I also feel that Momentum's bass is intrusive and muddy compared to M-100.  On the other end of the frequency spectrum, I find Momentum's highs harsh compared to extended yet smooth for M-100.  Just my two cents.

Yeah, no I can understand. The M-100's are perfect for you, which is great as you have been looking for a perfect headphone for quite some time now. :wink:

But again, I had a hard time deciding for what audience I should write the review to, and I mention things for both types of audiences (traditional audiophiles, and "Modern audiophiles"/"road warriors").

As a "road warrior", I gave the M-100 4/5 stars for audio quality, the only issue being the laid back midrange.
Quote:
For me and my purposes, the M-100's are the best portable, mobile headphone I have ever touched and so they have a high value to me. As a mobile "road warrior" listener, the M-100 provides a very balanced sound for nearly every genre of music I throw at it from my Clip Zip. Again, I must emphasise that the M-100 is by far the best-sounding mobile headphone I have touched. I've tried many different portable headphones and the M-100 is almost always on the top. The Crossfade M-100 really is the perfect headphone for my purposes as it easily, EASILY slayed the criteria I had prior to going through this "journey" and it goes way beyond what I had in store. In comparison, other headphones I've tried can only meet, but not exceed these criteria.

That seems to coincide with what you're saying about the M-100.

As a traditional audiophile, I gave the M-100 a 3.5/5 because many people were expecting a more audiophile-friendly headphone as opposed to a mobile headphone...or as Tyll himself calls it, a basshead headphone. A basshead headphone is good for certain genres, and not good for many more. Many people have stated that this is a genre-specific headphone.
Quote:
Does the M-100 live up to its hype? In my honest opinion, going from what Head-Fiers usually want from a super-hyped headphone, no. It doesn't seem to have the same sound signature of the M-80 from my experience and is more of a consumer-audiophile headphone as opposed to the M-80's more audiophile-consumer sound. Some people on Head-Fi looking for an upgrade from the M-80 might find themselves a bit disappointed with the large increase in bass, more "sibilant" treble, and still laid back midrange. Resulting from this is a very "iffy" headphone when it comes to different music genres. Electronic music excels with this kind of sound signature, but many do not benefit from this type of signature.

Most of the albums are either in the form of a CD, accurately ripped EAC FLAC files, or FLAC files downloaded from Bandcamp. If I used an MP3 file, except where noted, it was likely encoded as a V0 LAME MP3 file.

Classical
László Szendrey-Karper - Hungarian Chamber Orchestra - Guitar Concertos & Sonatas - Antonio Vivaldi & Francesco Geminiani
Leo Ku - Strings Fever
Opus Two, Charles Bernard, Marin Mazzie - Leonard Bernstein: Violin Sonata, Piano Trio, New Transcriptions
Yo-Yo Ma - Richard Strauss, Benjamin Britten: Sonata for Cello & Piano, Simply Baroque 2
Yury Boukoff, Mark Drobinsky, Rasma Lielmane - Richard Strauss: Les Trois Sonates

Classical Crossover
2CELLOS - 2CELLOS
Lindsey Stirling - Lindsey Stirling

Electronic
Ambidextrous & Morkva - A&M
Amon Tobin - Bricolage, Foley Room, ISAM, Out from Out Where
Basshunter - LOL <(^^,)>
Deadmau5 - 4x4=12, For Lack of a Better Name, Random Album Title
Fighter X - various unreleased tracks
Fila Brazillia - Luck Be A Weirdo Tonight
Ladytron - Best of 00-10 Deluxe Edition
Little People - Mickey Mouse Operation, Unreleased Bits & Pieces (Part 1), Unreleased Bits & Pieces (Part 2), We Are But Hunks Of Wood
Massive Attack - Mezzanine
Tiësto - Magikal Journey: The Hits Collection
Trash80 - Hologram EP, Icarus EP, Weeklybeats 2012, various singles
V2V Online - various music streams (available on SoundCloud)
Yosi Horikawa - Wandering EP

Flamenco
Ottmar Liebert - The Hours Between Night + Day, Up Close

Folk
12 Girls Band - Eastern Energy, Romantic Energy
Beth Orton - Comfort of Strangers, Daybreaker, Trailer Park
Chen Dacan Chinese Ensemble, Soloist Li He - Classical Chinese Folk Music, Featuring the Chinese Flute
Joanna Wang - Start From Here
Shan Di Orchestra - China-The Middle Kingdom
Various Artists - Pu'ukani: 'Sweet Music' of Hawai'i

Funk
Jon Cleary - Jon Cleary and the absolute monster gentlemen
Tower of Power - Bump City

Hip-Hop
M-Flo - Cosmicolor
Quincy Jones - Back on the Block

Jazz
98.9 Smooth Jazz KWJZ - Free CD Music Sampler
Colin Stetson - New History Warfare Vol. 2: Judges
Deems - Deem's Greatest Hits
Fourplay - Between the Sheets, Fourplay
Mongo Santamaría - Montreux Heat!
Quincy Jones - From Q, with Love
Vince Guaraldi - A Charlie Brown Christmas [Starbucks Exclusive]

Piano
Gabriela Montero - Baroque, En Concert à Montréal - Frédéric Chopin, Sergei Rachmaninov
Yuja Wang -

Pop
Adele - 21
By2 - Twins
Fahrenheit - 越來越愛, 雙面飛輪海
Fiona Sit - Funny Girl
Gigi Leung - 怕寂寞的貓
Jane Zhang - 我相信, 改变
Lady Gaga - Born This Way, The Fame, The Fame Monster
Magnetic North & Taiyo Na - Home- Word (Deluxe Edition)
Peggy Hsu - 奇幻精品店
Pet Shop Boys - Please, The Most Incredible Thing
Rainie Yang - 任意門
S.H.E - Play, SHERO, Super Star, 愛的地圖
Taylor Swift - Fearless, Speak Now, Taylor Swift
Vitas - Say You Love, Philosophy of Miracle
加藤ミリヤ - Ring

Reggae
Slightly Stoopid - Chronchitis, Everything You Need

Rock
1724 Records - Beijing Post-Rock
Battles - Gloss Drop
Boris - Heavy Rocks
Cloudkicker - Beacons
GACKT - Diabolos, Episode.0, Mizérable
HIGH and MIGHTY COLOR - Swamp Man
Linkin Park - Meteora
Matt Mayfield - A Dozen Doughnuts For Feeding Thirteen
Moi dix Mois - D+SECT, Diaxandu
Nightwish - Angels Fall First, Imaginaerum, Made in Hong Kong (And in Various Other Places), Once, Over the Hills and Far Away, Wishmaker
Pink Floyd - The Wall
Stereopony - Over The Border
The National - Exile Vilify
Versailles - Noble

Soul
Isaac Hayes - Hot Buttered Soul
Seal - Seal, Seal 6: Commitment, Soul 2
Usher - Confessions

Soundtrack
Chiaki Ishikawa - Bokurano OP & ED
Daft Punk - Tron Legacy Original Soundtrack
Jun Maeda, Shinji Orito, Magome Togoshi, OdiakeS - various Key anime soundtracks (Air, Clannad, Clannad: After Story, Kanon, Kanon 2006)
Isaac Hayes - Shaft
Official Music Created for Tutankhamun: The Golden King and the Great Pharaohs - Sound Sketches of Ancient Egypt
The Track Team - The Legend of Korra Unreleased Music (16-bit, 48 kHz, 256 kbps)
TM Revolution - Ignited (128 kbps), Invoke (192 kpbs)
Tokyo Philharmonic Orchestra - 涼宮ハルヒの弦奏
Two-Mix - Just Communication (128 kbps), White Reflection (128 kbps)
Various artists - Tron Legacy Reconfigured

Tsugaru-jamisen
Yoshida Brothers - Ibuki, Yoshida Brothers II, Prism
In this sense, the M-100 isn't the perfect headphone as you can get other reference headphones in this price range, and many will agree. In my book, basshead headphones tend to have not-as-good sound quality as a reference headphone, but that doesn't mean it's a bad headphone.
Quote:
Does this mean the M-100 is a bad headphone? Not in a chance is it bad. The M-100 was developed for the purpose of fulfilling the needs of "Modern audiophiles", which I interpret to be "audiophiles" who listen to more modern genres. This is why I gave the M-100 a pretty positive review on my YouTube video as most viewers are likely going to be listening to modern music on their modern iPods. The M-100 excels for this purpose in my opinion, but at the same time may disappoint hard-core audiophiles expecting a more traditional audiophile output from the M-100.

The question is, what kind of headphone are you looking for?

In the first post I posted in this thread, I asked:
Quote:
I'm a newcomer to the M-100's. Can anyone provide a brief overview of how the M-100's will compare to the M-80's (other than circumaural vs supra-aural)? Will they be more DJ-like in sound, or will they be a more refined version of the M-80 (cleaner mids, more sparkle in the highs, less boomy bass, larger soundstage, better noise isolation, more swivel on the earcups)?

I received many replies saying that the M-100 is expected to be a more refined M-80, so I was really looking forward for a full-sized M-80 essentially. Consequently due to such rumors (AKA hype), I think many Head-Fiers, including myself, were expecting a more audiophile-grade, "full-sized" M-80. Instead, the M-100 ended up being a more of an audiophile LP/LP2 in my opinion (a basshead's "favourite" headphone).

As it so happens to be the case, there are some people disappointed with how the M-100 turned out. In my case, despite the disappointment, I ended up getting a headphone that destroyed the criteria I was looking for in my "every day-use" headphone, so in the end I'm pretty satisfied overall, hence the 4/5 overall score and the 5/5 score for value.

And since I'm talking about my review, I should note that I updated it with added sections and a huge portion for Val/V-MODA to read regarding the above discussion.
http://www.head-fi.org/products/v-moda-crossfade-m-100/reviews/7820

Nov 15, 2012 at 9:31 AM Post #9,480 of 23,366
It was shipped through USPS which is the only wat to get stuff here. They said that they can only track using the bar code that is on the box. Unfortunatley, the box is somewhere with that Bar Code on it. They cannot track it using the customs confirmation number. SO, yah. I would like to think that Val could help me but they did arrive at the address they were shipped too. So it's not their fault and don't know how willing he would be to help me out. Thank you for the support.

Seriously hope you get your VTFs. If I had the money, I'd spot you on another pair. It's the least I could do for the sacrifices you make. Hope Val can help out, buddy.

Thanks and please try to stay safe. Keep us updated too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back