V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Nov 8, 2012 at 1:14 PM Post #9,226 of 23,366
Quote:
Strange. That or more noticeable. Idk. All three cables I have (I bought an audio only cable too) have some fraying but none too particularly noticeable. Maybe fraying is more common depending on what material you're wearing?

It might be so. After examining the 2 cables (SpeakEasy and SharePlay) though, the fiber weave on the SpeakEasy seems to less tight than on the SharePlay, which may contribute to the "more fraying" effect.

Nov 8, 2012 at 1:16 PM Post #9,227 of 23,366
Quote:
would these headphones be suited to electronic music from a good portable source (htc one x)?
Thanks

I think the M-100's would be balanced based off reviews, but have an overall good bass response, and should be enough for most people, but unlike a lot of non-bass light headphones, they will not sound muddy in the mid range, and will have a very good treble response.

For me, music is all about clarity, but as I listen to a lot of electronic stuff too, so I do need bass, especially in Trance, but without losing any of the detail in the mids/highs, and I feel that these headphones will provide that.

The HTC One X shouldn't be all that bad, but its certainly not the best portable source available, but it does have Beats that if you need extra bass (I doubt you should), then you could always use it to EQ them up, but becareful because there will be a point where you will start to drown the mids I feel.

Nov 8, 2012 at 1:17 PM Post #9,228 of 23,366
Quote:
would these headphones be suited to electronic music from a good portable source (htc one x)?
Thanks

These headphones were basically made to go with electro for "road warriors" so to speak. Idk about the one X' DAC though. But Electro is basically its forte. Most other genres sound excellent as well though

Quote:
It might be so. After examining the 2 cables (SpeakEasy and SharePlay) though, the fiber weave on the SpeakEasy seems to less tight than on the SharePlay, which may contribute to the "more fraying" effect.

The speakeasy cable is noticeably stiffer than the shareplay cable and the audio cable, that's for sure. Perhaps it is tightened a bit too much (too many layers?)

Nov 8, 2012 at 1:21 PM Post #9,229 of 23,366
Quote:
Something to consider is that, more often than not, a product doesn't live up to the hype, so the K267 may not be the holy grail you seek.  I thought the Signature DJ might be the holy grail of basshead cans.  However, based on a recent review, I don't feel they bring anything significant enough to the table to take me away from my satisfaction with the M-100.  Confusius has a saying, "He who wants nothing has everything."  I am choosing to apply this to the M-100 and be content enjoying them.

Quote:
That may be so, but earpad comfort, and fraying cables are something that should not be taken lightly especially if it detracts from the listener's experience with the headphone.

As for the cable fraying, the new SharePlay cable seems to be much better-built. I've been using it for 2 days now and there isn't the slightest bit of fraying, even at the point where it rubs against my jacket's collar. Again as I've mentioned, the SharePlay cable is also much more pliable and flexible compared to the rather stiff SpeakEasy and Boom Pro Mic cables. Maybe it's the thicker wiring due to a microphone component?

Yeah - I am siding with Miceblue on this one. The AKG K267's may not sound better than the M-100, but they already look better, and look more comfortable, which already gets rid of my issues with the M-100 (Pads/Style). I am willing to give up a little bit of sound quality to get a more solid headphone - especially if that other headphone has more features. It's a shame they keep getting delayed, but from early impressions of the K167, I am right to wait for the K267's. The K167 is being called a K550 with tighter, punchier bass. If the K267 has that + an adjustable bass setting, I'm more than sure I will be willing to give up the SQ difference for a more solid headphone.

Either way, this is a month in the future - so it's too early to judge anything now. All I know is I am enjoying my M-100's, regardless of their faults. 

Nov 8, 2012 at 1:33 PM Post #9,230 of 23,366
I think all Craigster is saying is that you shouldn't pin your hopes up too high, else you'll keep pining for more. Comfort and a questionable choice in easy to fray cloth cables are something worth considering as opposed to slight sonic differences.

For me though, the M-100's more than satisfactorily hit my marks.

Nov 8, 2012 at 1:54 PM Post #9,233 of 23,366
Ah OK, thanks for the clarification. In that sense, then no the M-100's do not have bass bleed.

I'm not sure about the bass reducing EQ on the iPod, but lowering the 50-170 Hz range seems to fix the bass issue I have for home listening; so if the iPod's EQ does that, then yes it definitely is a more balanced sound.
The pad mods change the sound more dramatically so it's something to try out yourself to see if you like it or not. I've worn the M-100's with DigitalFreak's mod for about 1.5 hours now and I have no comfort issues. The bass is slightly reduced though, so I don't get the same exact chest-thumping bass that I had yesterday without the pad mods.

OK cheers, i'll check out what the eq actually affects. The mod(s) look very appealing as they seem to alter the sound to suit my needs better.

Nov 8, 2012 at 2:34 PM Post #9,235 of 23,366
Quote:

I posted up that but didn't use the video feature.

I didn't really agree with what he was saying, compared with everyone else that has reviewed it.

I think with anything though, we will all have to test it ourselves essentially.

It's against Head-Fi rules to post things on behalf of banned members.

I can understand some points though:
1) the lower highs (initial snare drum hits) are emphasised as part of the U-shaped signature, so it might give the impression of a cold, harsh, or bright headphone (many press reviews have stated that they're kind of bright)
2) the lows extend pretty far and are the most prominent aspect of the M-100's sound, maybe even so far as to say they veil the mids (as I pointed out in a previous post)
3) adding an amp really doesn't really affect the M-100 too much, especially if you have a good DAC. I must say though, the choice of pairing it with a Bottlehead Crack amp was a poor thing to mention as the Crack is an Output Transformer-Less (OTL) tube amp with a high output impedance that was meant to drive larger impedance headphones, not a portable headphone. If it were the S.E.X. amp on the other hand, it might have been a better "issue" to bring up.

Crack being paired with an HD800 (300 ohms); as a "high-end" portable headphone, the M-100 is probably around 32 ohms.

S.E.X. powering an AKG K 701. Its output impedance can be changed for more portable, 32-ohm, headphones using the dial in the center:

Nov 8, 2012 at 3:11 PM Post #9,236 of 23,366
Quote:

It's against Head-Fi rules to post things on behalf of banned members.

I can understand some points though:
1) the lower highs (initial snare drum hits) are emphasised as part of the U-shaped signature, so it might give the impression of a cold, harsh, or bright headphone (many press reviews have stated that they're kind of bright)
2) the lows extend pretty far and are the most prominent aspect of the M-100's sound, maybe even so far as to say they veil the mids (as I pointed out in a previous post)
3) adding an amp really doesn't really affect the M-100 too much, especially if you have a good DAC. I must say though, the choice of pairing it with a Bottlehead Crack amp was a poor thing to mention as the Crack is an Output Transformer-Less (OTL) tube amp with a high output impedance that was meant to drive larger impedance headphones, not a portable headphone. If it were the S.E.X. amp on the other hand, it might have been a better "issue" to bring up.

Crack being paired with an HD800 (300 ohms); as a "high-end" portable headphone, the M-100 is probably around 32 ohms.

S.E.X. powering an AKG K 701. Its output impedance can be changed for more portable, 32-ohm, headphones using the dial in the center:

Surely posting that video of even a banned member is still a review of a product we are reviewing here? We are surely not posting on behalf of a member that has been banned, but a review is a review non the less. That said, there was no need for him to mention why he got banned, etc to be honest.

Considering I listen to music by EQing sound into a U shape may actually mean these headphones will be perfect.

Nov 8, 2012 at 4:23 PM Post #9,237 of 23,366
So I've been using DigitalFreak's earpad mod all day today and I'm finding it to be really, really comfortable. The tips of my ear no longer touch the driver enclosure, even after an hour of use, so my ears no longer have to be pained when wearing them for extended periods.

The sound signature is changed a bit on the other hand. The lower-highs are less pronounced, treble extension is improved, the midrange is brought forward a tad bit, and the bass quantity is reduced, thus reducing the bass thump. As a whole, this creates a more balanced sound while in a quiet environment, but the missing quantity of bass may be problematic for some (I still find it very acceptable to listen to while on the bus).

I also A/B-ed the M-100's next to some of the headphones in a local Apple Store and I can assure you that the M-100 sounds [subjectively] better than all of the ones I tested (UE6000, UE4000, Beats Executive, Monster DNA, B&W P5, Sennheiser Amperior, Harman Kardon BT, Skullcandy Navigator). That being said, the DNA and the UE4000 are exceptionally good for the price, I think.

The M-100's had amongst the worst noise isolation for the headphones I tested though. On-ear headphones seemed to have a LOT of noise isolation in comparison.

Nov 8, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #9,239 of 23,366
Quote:

Quote:

Yeah - I am siding with Miceblue on this one. The AKG K267's may not sound better than the M-100, but they already look better, and look more comfortable, which already gets rid of my issues with the M-100 (Pads/Style). I am willing to give up a little bit of sound quality to get a more solid headphone - especially if that other headphone has more features. It's a shame they keep getting delayed, but from early impressions of the K167, I am right to wait for the K267's. The K167 is being called a K550 with tighter, punchier bass. If the K267 has that + an adjustable bass setting, I'm more than sure I will be willing to give up the SQ difference for a more solid headphone.

Either way, this is a month in the future - so it's too early to judge anything now. All I know is I am enjoying my M-100's, regardless of their faults. 

Fortunately, I have not experienced fraying or any other build quality issues, but agree that those are unacceptable especially with all the assurances of QC.  It would be nice if the larger pads become a reality, but I am adjusting to the current pads.  I would still like to audition the K267, I just don't have the burning obsession to get my hands on them the way I did with the M-100.

I imagine in a few months Val will once again start tickling us with a feather regarding Revolver and the madness can start all over again...........

Nov 8, 2012 at 5:24 PM Post #9,240 of 23,366
Quote:
So I've been using DigitalFreak's earpad mod all day today and I'm finding it to be really, really comfortable. The tips of my ear no longer touch the driver enclosure, even after an hour of use, so my ears no longer have to be pained when wearing them for extended periods.

The sound signature is changed a bit on the other hand. The lower-highs are less pronounced, treble extension is improved, the midrange is brought forward a tad bit, and the bass quantity is reduced, thus reducing the bass thump. As a whole, this creates a more balanced sound while in a quiet environment, but the missing quantity of bass may be problematic for some (I still find it very acceptable to listen to while on the bus).

I also A/B-ed the M-100's next to some of the headphones in a local Apple Store and I can assure you that the M-100 sounds [subjectively] better than all of the ones I tested (UE6000, UE4000, Beats Executive, Monster DNA, B&W P5, Sennheiser Amperior, Harman Kardon BT, Skullcandy Navigator). That being said, the DNA and the UE4000 are exceptionally good for the price, I think.

The M-100's had amongst the worst noise isolation for the headphones I tested though. On-ear headphones seemed to have a LOT of noise isolation in comparison.

Yeah isolation isn't exactly its strongest point. It's adequate enough that when music is playing you can enjoy it, but you can still hear a bit of background chatter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back