V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Nov 6, 2012 at 3:49 PM Post #9,151 of 23,366
Thanks Craigster.  I actually just found your review.  I appreciate the update at the end too.  

So, we can go to our local Apple store and audition the 6000's, and then imagine a slightly brighter, slightly more detailed mid and less rolled off high, slightly tighter bass, and that's approx what we can expect out of the M-100's.  Cool.  :)

Haha.  There you go.  Easy.     

Nov 6, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #9,153 of 23,366
I think the M-100's will be well worth the wait. I'm happy with my PX-100's but I think the sound quality on the M-100's wil certainly make me wonder what I was missing all these years haha. I do have a question though. It says on the site, with an image, that the ports still have some use to make a 3D sound stage, yet... if the ports are blocked, surely they are not contributing much at all?

Nov 6, 2012 at 8:54 PM Post #9,154 of 23,366
Quote:

Okay those are some great impressions, thanks!  So, we can go to our local Apple store and audition the 6000's, and then imagine a slightly brighter, slightly more detailed mid and less rolled off high, slightly tighter bass, and that's approx what we can expect out of the M-100's.  Cool.  :)

Thank you for summarizing my circumlocutory comparison.  Regarding the M-100, I find myself setting aside more time for music appreciation because of how much I enjoy their sonic presentation.

Nov 6, 2012 at 9:21 PM Post #9,155 of 23,366
Quote:
Thank you for summarizing my circumlocutory comparison.  Regarding the M-100, I find myself setting aside more time for music appreciation because of how much I enjoy their sonic presentation.

I hope you didn't mind, I really appreciated all the detail, but I thought it would be handy to boil it down, too.

Nov 7, 2012 at 2:39 AM Post #9,158 of 23,366
Quote:
are the 100's worth the extra $110 vs the ue6000? I am planning on returning them for the ue's if I don't get a buyer from ebay.

I think the M-100's are worth the extra cost, if they're comfortable for you. In general the M-100's are pretty comfy for me, but as others have reported, they start to bother my ears after 1-2 hours of them on my ears.

Just in case anyone is curious, the SharePlay cable's 45˚ jack is too large for the M-100's dual entry cups.

Nov 7, 2012 at 2:44 AM Post #9,159 of 23,366
Question: why have many chosen to compare these to the UE6000, a noise cancelling phone? That feature alone makes the better can obvious.

Nov 7, 2012 at 3:01 AM Post #9,160 of 23,366
Quote:
Question: why have many chosen to compare these to the UE6000, a noise cancelling phone? That feature alone makes the better can obvious.

In my honest opinion from personal experience, the UE6k's active noise cancelling feature sucks monkey ballz. It decreases the outside ambient noise very little compared to passive noise isolation at all of the Apple Store units I've tried (at least 3 in 3 different stores). The noise cancellation "bass boost" is also pretty lame-sounding to my ears as they already have plenty of bass with the feature off. Just because it has active noise cancellation doesn't automatically rule it as a good or bad headphone.

That and the UE6k is regarded as a very good headphone for its price. I agree that the UE6k is a very good headphone for $200. It would make sense for average consumer seeking "high-end" headphones to ask for a comparison between the two headphones, no? It's basically the same thing as "how does headphone X compare to the Beats?", except instead of Beats it's actually a pretty decent headphone.
I find it to be a bit too dark for my personal tastes and they lack the details that the M-100 has...and are much heavier/clunky to carry around.

Nov 7, 2012 at 7:37 AM Post #9,161 of 23,366
Quote:

It is a fair question.  My comparison is based on the UE6000 in passive mode which is extraordinarily good for a noise cancelling phone, particularly since many noise cancelling headphones don't even function without power.  Their noise cancelling is actually poor and changes the signature to a noticeable V-curve, so I don't even have batteries in mine.

Nov 7, 2012 at 9:31 AM Post #9,162 of 23,366
Quote:
It is a fair question.  My comparison is based on the UE6000 in passive mode which is extraordinarily good for a noise cancelling phone, particularly since many noise cancelling headphones don't even function without power.  Their noise cancelling is actually poor and changes the signature to a noticeable V-curve, so I don't even have batteries in mine.

the only thing I wonder about the whole deal is people say the UE6000 is pretty good for the price, but a lot of the big names reviewing the M-100 keep going to headphones at 2x the cost to find suitable comparisons.  This leads me to believe there should be a fairly large difference in overall sound quality between the two...or the industry has lowered the price point at which small differences start costing significant amounts of money.

Nov 7, 2012 at 9:35 AM Post #9,163 of 23,366
Quote:

+1
  The UE6000 sounded worse when noise cancelling was turned on.  And in a busy Apple store, with a drone of background noise, I didn't notice ANY noise reduction with it turned on.

Nov 7, 2012 at 2:00 PM Post #9,164 of 23,366
I really really love my M-100's now that they're burnt in and such, but there's only two nagging issues that my OCD says I need fixed asap.

1. Thicker pads. They don't need to be wider or a different shape - but they do need to be upgraded from a 2cm depth (as measured by miceblue) to something like 3cm. Maybe 2.5cm or so.
  2. White Pads. Also, white. I need white for my designs, and LP2 white doesn't match M-100 white. I have my money ready V-MODA.

PS: I would love it if Head-Fi could help me decide on my second design. I need to decide between these. Any help?

Nov 7, 2012 at 2:38 PM Post #9,165 of 23,366
Quote:

+1
  The UE6000 sounded worse when noise cancelling was turned on.  And in a busy Apple store, with a drone of background noise, I didn't notice ANY noise reduction with it turned on.

To be somewhat fair, most noise-cancelling headphones are designed to cancel out airplane engines and/or commuter train background noise more so than people talking in the store.  I have no idea if the UE6K's are any good in those types of environments or not, and I've never heard them at all, but it's best to keep the intended usage in mind when discussing the effectiveness, is all I'm saying.  :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back