V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Nov 7, 2012 at 2:56 PM Post #9,166 of 23,366
Quote:
I really really love my M-100's now that they're burnt in and such, but there's only two nagging issues that my OCD says I need fixed asap.

1. Thicker pads. They don't need to be wider or a different shape - but they do need to be upgraded from a 2cm depth (as measured by miceblue) to something like 3cm. Maybe 2.5cm or so.
  2. White Pads. Also, white. I need white for my designs, and LP2 white doesn't match M-100 white. I have my money ready V-MODA.

PS: I would love it if Head-Fi could help me decide on my second design. I need to decide between these. Any help?

BSRB is an obvious choice for me since it stands out more. Make sure for any of them that you tell them in the notes that you want to maximize the area that the picture takes up.

Nov 7, 2012 at 3:59 PM Post #9,168 of 23,366
Can anyone tell me how suited these are to alternative and punk? I'd do miceblue's paper towel mod if I bought these, to balance the sound out a bit (http://www.head-fi.org/t/623154/v-moda-m-100-vtf-100-appreciation-thread-images-impressions-reviews/630#post_8798715), so keep that in mind. I love how they look so much I just need to justify buying them :D

Nov 7, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #9,169 of 23,366
Quote:
I do have a question though. It says on the site, with an image, that the ports still have some use to make a 3D sound stage, yet... if the ports are blocked, surely they are not contributing much at all?

Yea my thoughts too, surely venting it a little bit should open the soundstage even more. It does appear to have a great soundstage even unmodded though so it's a little weird.

Nov 7, 2012 at 4:13 PM Post #9,170 of 23,366
Quote:
the only thing I wonder about the whole deal is people say the UE6000 is pretty good for the price, but a lot of the big names reviewing the M-100 keep going to headphones at 2x the cost to find suitable comparisons.  This leads me to believe there should be a fairly large difference in overall sound quality between the two...or the industry has lowered the price point at which small differences start costing significant amounts of money.

The M-100 has grown on me since my initial comparison to the point that I would say it is significantly superior to the UE6000, keeping in mind they have very different signatures.

Nov 7, 2012 at 4:15 PM Post #9,171 of 23,366
Yes please, anyone who has tried some Alternative Rock if they could share how the m-100 performs with this genre would be appreciated. Hip-hop and rap will easily satisfy me but i'm slightly concerned that the bass might be too present in the mix for Alternative. 

Nov 7, 2012 at 4:33 PM Post #9,172 of 23,366
I really really love my M-100's now that they're burnt in and such, but there's only two nagging issues that my OCD says I need fixed asap.

1. Thicker pads. They don't need to be wider or a different shape - but they do need to be upgraded from a 2cm depth (as measured by miceblue) to something like 3cm. Maybe 2.5cm or so.
  2. White Pads. Also, white. I need white for my designs, and LP2 white doesn't match M-100 white. I have my money ready V-MODA.

There's a lot of oddly-matched material and color in the white M-100 design.

1. Sexy matte metal silver vs. cheap shiny plastic silver
  2. Ear cup white vs. head band white (and vs. white pad white if you got the white pads)
  3. Cup cable vs. 3.5mm cable (I regard the former to be superior)

Also condolences for your grandmother, Val.

Nov 7, 2012 at 4:38 PM Post #9,173 of 23,366
Quote:

There's a lot of oddly-matched material and color in the white M-100 design.

1. Sexy matte metal silver vs. cheap shiny plastic silver
  2. Ear cup white vs. head band white (and vs. white pad white if you got the white pads)
  3. Cup cable vs. 3.5mm cable (I regard the former to be superior)

I agree on the silver, but the cable, cups, and headband are matched with each other, if you ask me. I wouldn't have minded a pure white instead of cream though. 

Either way, I really, really want some deep, white M-100 pads. Then I can send in my new shield designs and finally have my perfect headphone. (For me) 

Speaking of designs, Tus-chan, which one do you like? I'm particular to the crumbling star and the crest - but I don't know which to use...

Nov 7, 2012 at 4:46 PM Post #9,174 of 23,366
I'd choose the crest. The others are just a bit too solid for my tastes.

As for the cups vs the headband color... the wing plates are the same color as the cups, and the headband color is not the same as the wing plate color.

The difference between the headphone cable and the 3.5mm cables is mostly material. The headphone cable is much softer and more pliable than the 3.5mm cable, which I find has a habit of fraying and forming memory loops.

(I am seriously OCD about these headphones, probably far past the threshold of holding any actual water).

Nov 7, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #9,175 of 23,366
Quote:

PS: I would love it if Head-Fi could help me decide on my second design. I need to decide between these. Any help?

Yeah the white, white LP/LP2 pads look odd with the créme-white of the earcups/wingplate. I think either thicker and/or stiffer pads would be ideal for additional pad options.
*I like the simple shattered star since it's a simple design*

Quote:
Can anyone tell me how suited these are to alternative and punk? I'd do miceblue's paper towel mod if I bought these, to balance the sound out a bit (http://www.head-fi.org/t/623154/v-moda-m-100-vtf-100-appreciation-thread-images-impressions-reviews/630#post_8798715), so keep that in mind. I love how they look so much I just need to justify buying them
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Yes please, anyone who has tried some Alternative Rock if they could share how the m-100 performs with this genre would be appreciated. Hip-hop and rap will easily satisfy me but i'm slightly concerned that the bass might be too present in the mix for Alternative. 

Does anyone have examples/test tracks? I usually don't have alt rock in my collection (I mostly have progressive, post, and synth rock). Actually I feel kinda stupid since Pearl Jam is a major grunge/alt rock band and they're from my hometown Seattle. I usually don't listen to vocal rock tracks. >_<
I guess I should check out their albums from a local library...and whooo there's a binaurally recorded album!
basshead.gif

These sound pretty good (I know they're not even close to alt rock or punk):

The cymbals are a bit quiet though. But again, this kind of treble is ideal for non-fatiguing "road warrior" listening sessions and not so much so for accurate home listening.
When using the original paper towel mod, the cymbals are more audible and easier to follow.

Quote:
I'd choose the crest. The others are just a bit too solid for my tastes.

As for the cups vs the headband color... the wing plates are the same color as the cups, and the headband color is not the same as the wing plate color.

The difference between the headphone cable and the 3.5mm cables is mostly material. The headphone cable is much softer and more pliable than the 3.5mm cable, which I find has a habit of fraying and forming memory loops.

(I am seriously OCD about these headphones, probably far past the threshold of holding any actual water).

The SharePlay cable is much more pliable than the SpeakEasy and Boom Pro Mic cables and are more like the headphone cable. I just brought the M-100 and SharePlay cable to school today and although it's a longer cable, the difference in flexibility makes a huge difference to me. The fraying thing is happening to me too...which is rather unfortunate given that I've owned the M-100's for less than a month.

Nov 7, 2012 at 9:00 PM Post #9,177 of 23,366
Quote:
Have any of you noticed that the headband cable slides in and out of the cups? Should I be worried about this? I used to think it was clipped or something at the cup entry point, but it slides in and out freely. 

That's part of the design. My cables are starting to fray a little at the rubber gasket.

Nov 7, 2012 at 9:35 PM Post #9,178 of 23,366
Quote:
Have any of you noticed that the headband cable slides in and out of the cups? Should I be worried about this? I used to think it was clipped or something at the cup entry point, but it slides in and out freely. 

Mine don't unless you force them... it's "free" floating, but only if you push hard on the cable

Nov 7, 2012 at 9:40 PM Post #9,179 of 23,366
I keep following this thread even though I can't afford them as I'm saving up for a new phone.
Speaking of the paper towel mod, my Anti-helices are very prominent and thus the M-80 presses on them and it hurts after, perhaps, 30 minutes.
Do you think this solution would help? I would think a variation where I put the paper towards the front to have the front touch my skull would work.
I cannot try yet because I have ointment on my ear due to a stupid rash from my jacket :frowning2:

Nov 7, 2012 at 9:43 PM Post #9,180 of 23,366
Quote:
That's part of the design. My cables are starting to fray a little at the rubber gasket.

I just tried lightly pulling them to the ends, and the one on the left cup is frayed bigtime at the very end of the cord - just before the knot... 

The M-100's are a grab bag of HUGE positives with nagging negatives...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back