V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Nov 6, 2012 at 12:55 AM Post #9,136 of 23,366
Quote:
I think the grey pads look a lot better than the white anyway. They just suit the silver better

Yeah I actually like the grey pads more since the white pads are whiter than the ear cups' colour.

Quote:
Does anyone with the m-100 know if the hinge in the headphone look like it's going to start to get loosened in the future? That's what happens with most headphones that fold like that, that's why I'm wondering, and its usually why portable headphones are the first ones to break, but I don't know about this one because of it's "click-fold Hinges"

I don't foresee the hinge mechanism breaking any time soon. The hinge itself is screwed in place (with the same hex screws as the shields' screws) onto both moving parts of the headphone.

If it were to break, either the metal parts would have to break since there is no plastic in the vicinity, or the screws would have to break which would be nearly impossible since they would have to undergo a considerable amount of shear force before fracturing (this force happens when you pull the earcups downward).

So far from my experience, the weakest structure on the headphone is the adjustable headband slider, which is where all of my other headphones have broke in the past.

From my M-100 experiences post:
Quote:
The new Clique hinge mechanism is pretty clever. I don't know why there are so many of the metal discs on the hinge, but the main mechanism is that there is a nub on one disc, and when you fold it, the nub goes into a little niche on another disc, which makes the *click* sound. Doing it in the reverse is the same process. I'm not sure how long this "nub" will last, but since it's made of metal, I'm assuming it will last a while.

Nov 6, 2012 at 3:07 AM Post #9,137 of 23,366
Well, seeing as my comparison headphone has been delayed into the new year, I am hoping for one of two things. Either that the AKG K551 can stand up to the M-100's as an awesome overall headphone, or the M-100's get thicker, proper color white pads ASAP.

It's a shame that the biggest thing wrong with these is the comfort in most cases.

Nov 6, 2012 at 4:03 AM Post #9,139 of 23,366
When I ordered with my credit card, there wasn't any mastercard secure code that I needed to enter.. All other times I bought stuff online, I needed to. Is this normal?

Nov 6, 2012 at 6:27 AM Post #9,140 of 23,366
Quote:
Does anyone with the m-100 know if the hinge in the headphone look like it's going to start to get loosened in the future? That's what happens with most headphones that fold like that, that's why I'm wondering, and its usually why portable headphones are the first ones to break, but I don't know about this one because of it's "click-fold Hinges"

Granted I have only owned for a little while, but the hinges seem extremely durable.  Val mentioned durability of the hinges was one of his top priorities for the M-100.

Nov 6, 2012 at 8:29 AM Post #9,141 of 23,366

Is it really me only that is very curious to play around with the venting by pushing holes/removing the foam and partially covering back or optionally testing some different material so there would be optimal airflow in terms of bass response versus soundstage and frequency response balance (they will likely all be affected so it's important to balance the size/airflow of the opening to best fit your taste). I'm thinking a very small hole punched here might help a lot. The stock foam seems to be just so thick that there isn't much air going through at all, I'm very curious about this personally. A small hole would likely; tame highs just a little bit so mids & highs would be more even and slightly increase bass as well as slightly improve soundstage. If you don't want more bass then it's best to stay away, this is very likely to happen, what else it may bring is a bit hard to predict though. From reading all the comments I'd personally probably versus stock M100 balance prefer maybe like +1~2dB bass, +1dB mids and -1dB highs or something along those lines, I think this modding might be able to give such results depending how it's configured.

What is there on the other side when removing the shield? Is it an additional foam piece there? I remember seeing a black foam somewhere so.

Nov 6, 2012 at 9:52 AM Post #9,142 of 23,366

Is it really me only that is very curious to play around with the venting by pushing holes/removing the foam and partially covering back or optionally testing some different material so there would be optimal airflow in terms of bass response versus soundstage and frequency response balance (they will likely all be affected so it's important to balance the size/airflow of the opening to best fit your taste). I'm thinking a very small hole punched here might help a lot. The stock foam seems to be just so thick that there isn't much air going through at all, I'm very curious about this personally. A small hole would likely; tame highs just a little bit so mids & highs would be more even and slightly increase bass as well as slightly improve soundstage. If you don't want more bass then it's best to stay away, this is very likely to happen, what else it may bring is a bit hard to predict though. From reading all the comments I'd personally probably versus stock M100 balance prefer maybe like +1~2dB bass, +2dB mids and -1dB highs or something along those lines, I think this modding might be able to give such results depending how it's configured.

What is there on the other side when removing the shield? Is it an additional foam piece there? I remember seeing a black foam somewhere so.

I would love to find out how to mod it to boost the bass

Nov 6, 2012 at 10:44 AM Post #9,143 of 23,366
Quote:
I would love to find out how to mod it to boost the bass

Removing the felt underneath the shield covering the holes to the inner area of the cup, it would most likely boost bass greatly, the more airflow the bigger bass, removing it completely probably would get you to LP2 levels or so possibly which to me would be too much but making the hole a little smaller if removing it would probably be desirable unless you're a huge basshead. :p

The LPs I think didn't have that foam piece, at least it seems that way as putting your fingers over the vents did a huge difference on the LP2 to bass (it greatly reduced bass if covering the holes). Ofc doing so you should be aware of the slightly reduced isolation and bigger problem with wind noise if you're planning to use it also outdoors, in my case I'd only plan to use M100 at home so it would be no concern.

Nov 6, 2012 at 11:52 AM Post #9,144 of 23,366
So I heard the UE6000s at an Apple Store yesterday.  Is anybody able to compare the M100 to the UE6000?  I'm looking for a point of reference to get a tangible idea of what the M100s are like.

Thanks

-

Nov 6, 2012 at 12:38 PM Post #9,145 of 23,366
Quote:
So I heard the UE6000s at an Apple Store yesterday.  Is anybody able to compare the M100 to the UE6000?  I'm looking for a point of reference to get a tangible idea of what the M100s are like.

Thanks

-

I just saw one such impression in the UE4000/6000/9000 thread....
http://www.head-fi.org/t/623894/review-logitech-ue9000-ultimate-ears-headphones-released-the-ue4000-ue6000-and-the-ue9000-impressions-thread/510#post_8842626

Nov 6, 2012 at 1:13 PM Post #9,147 of 23,366
Quote:
Hey thanks Mutant.   That was my hunch.  It seems the two (UE6000 & M100) are very similar.   $100 more is no small amount.   

-

From all the reviews I have seen on people that own both (or at least have spent significant time with both) the M-100 is placed above the UE6000.  Whether it's a $100 increase or not probably depends on the individual person.  I wouldn't base my buying decision on a single person's 30 minute experience with a headphone and no description on what kind of music, source, etc... was used.

Nov 6, 2012 at 1:19 PM Post #9,148 of 23,366
Quote:

Is it really me only that is very curious to play around with the venting by pushing holes/removing the foam and partially covering back or optionally testing some different material so there would be optimal airflow in terms of bass response versus soundstage and frequency response balance (they will likely all be affected so it's important to balance the size/airflow of the opening to best fit your taste). I'm thinking a very small hole punched here might help a lot. The stock foam seems to be just so thick that there isn't much air going through at all, I'm very curious about this personally. A small hole would likely; tame highs just a little bit so mids & highs would be more even and slightly increase bass as well as slightly improve soundstage. If you don't want more bass then it's best to stay away, this is very likely to happen, what else it may bring is a bit hard to predict though. From reading all the comments I'd personally probably versus stock M100 balance prefer maybe like +1~2dB bass, +1dB mids and -1dB highs or something along those lines, I think this modding might be able to give such results depending how it's configured.

Interesting to note, but I think the bass is a bit too much for me (at home), or is perfect on the go, so changing the bass quantity wouldn't be in my favour.

That being said, from what I've documented:
air -> shield's V-PORT vent -> thick black felt on outer earcup - > circuitry in the inner-earcup (photo) -> the hole/felt that you pointed out in the photo above, which goes through that whole structure to the other side (photo) -> earpad

Nov 6, 2012 at 3:04 PM Post #9,149 of 23,366
Quote:

Thanks

-

UE6000 vs. M-100

Since several have been asking and I am an impatient creature by nature, here is a comparison between the M-100 and UE6000 (passive mode) with the winner in each category listed.  If I felt any other headphone I have auditioned or owned in the past 6 months was in a league with either of these, they would have been included as well (I will give an honorable mention shout out to the PSB M4U2), so let me state up front that after an extensive headphone search, I am thrilled to find two fantastic, standout headphones and that, if your budget allows, I recommend owning both.  However, if you must choose one, here is my feedback, IMHO, to hopefully help assist with your decision:

Comfort- UE6000  Although heavier and larger, the UE6000 has less clamping force and, more importantly for me larger, deeper, plusher cups that fit around my ears better.  I could wear these for hours.  After an hour or so, I felt some discomfort with the M-100.

Build/appearance- M-100 The industrial design and innovative hinges of the M-100 are a thing of beauty.  I enjoy just looking at my white M-100s and will be adding my blue shields shortly.  The UE6000 is not an ugly headphone.  It looks to me like a copy of the Denon D600 design which I think is fine, but nothing special.  Regarding build quality, no comparison.  M-100 is a solid piece of electronic machinery complete with riveted stainless steel.  The UE6000 seems to have a sturdy headband, but I worry about the cheap plastic cups and battery compartment.

Bass- I have to call this a draw. UE6000 bass seems deeper and more authoritative.  M-100 bass is also deep and authoritative, yet also tighter and I feel the drivers pushing air at high volume with bass boost.

Mids- M-100 Both provide excellent mids.  Compared to other headphones I have heard (not top-tier summit-fi) Detail/resolution in the UE6000 is an 8 out of 10; M-100 is a 9 out of 10.

Highs- M-100 The UE6000 has highs I would consider very close to neutral.  This works extremely well with current popular music that seems to have a treble emphasis, smoothing out those highs and providing a highly pleasurable listening experience that is by no means dark and can even sparkle somewhat.  The M-100 fills in the small bit of rolloff that is missing from the UE6000 and smoothly extends the highs almost to brightness with absolutely no harshness- quite an accomplishment.

Overall sound- This is really a close call for me.  I initially purchased the UE6000 as something to hold me over until the M-100 came out and it turned out to be much more than I expected.  I expect to continue to listen to both headphones and have no intention of returning either, which is saying something because I have returned several headphones in the past few months while waiting for the release of the M-100 including: M-Audio Q40, Audio Technica ATH_PRO700MK2, Sennheiser Amperior, Denon D600, Denon D400 and Sennheiser Momentum.  I have also auditioned dozens more.  All of these returns were based on sonic flaws I felt were dealbreakers, so you could say I consider the M-100 and UE6000 as close to the perfect headphone for me that I have found.

Both present bass in a way that is exciting, enjoyable and adds to the rest of the frequency range.  Both have clean, accurate mids.  Both have enjoyable silky smooth highs.  In the end, I must give a slight edge to the M-100 based on the silky-smooth extended highs that are incredibly detailed.  If I can compare the M-100 to any other headphone on the market, it would be an Ultrasone Signature Pro and I would actually say the M-100 is superior.  While there is slightly less resolution than the Sig Pro, the M-100s highs are much smoother with zero sibilance and the M-100 has a superior bass presentation to the Sig Pro.  Somehow, V-Moda managed to engineer a headphone that I believe can truly sound amazing with every genre.

I congratulate both companies on developing amazing products and look forward to enjoying both for years to come.

UPDATE 11/6- The M-100 is my primary headphone by a mile.  The UE6000 sounds slightly dark in comparison now that I have owned the M-100 for awhile.

Nov 6, 2012 at 3:30 PM Post #9,150 of 23,366
Quote:
[...] I congratulate both companies on developing amazing products and look forward to enjoying both for years to come. UPDATE 11/6- The M-100 is my primary headphone by a mile.  The UE6000 sounds slightly dark in comparison now that I have owned the M-100 for awhile.

Okay those are some great impressions, thanks!  So, we can go to our local Apple store and audition the 6000's, and then imagine a slightly brighter, slightly more detailed mid and less rolled off high, slightly tighter bass, and that's approx what we can expect out of the M-100's.  Cool.  :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back