V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Nov 2, 2012 at 1:43 AM Post #9,032 of 23,366
Quote:
Can someone with the m-100 already, tell me how the bass sounds with the headphones with this song
Gangsta like me-snoop dogg
Haha not the best song I'm the world but it's the most bassiest find I've ever heard

Seems fine to me. I'm not a fan of that kind of artificial sub-bass, but evidently it seems to be the new "hit" thing in today's music.
A simple YouTube search of "bassy song" results in plenty of this kind of sub-bass emphasised music.

Quote:
Not sure why so many people are regarding these as uncomfortable. I mean, of course it's not going to be like the insanely comfortable HD598 or 650, but the memory foam pads are very comfy to me, and after only a slight paper towel mod, they become wearable 24/7.

So...I would never write off these phones for comfortability.

Generally the M-100's are comfortable to me. After exercising for 30 minutes though, the pads are sweaty, hot, and compressed. Taking the M-100's off my head, I can definitely feel that my ears were hard-pressed on the driver enclosure and are a bit painful for a few minutes.

Though I'm pretty sure no one here cares, Chinese pop and classical crossover sounded pretty darn good on the bus today.

Nov 2, 2012 at 3:45 AM Post #9,034 of 23,366
I wonder if this is normal. The M100s are good, but I'm left with a feeling of wanting more...more of what? I don't know. 

*Next goal is a good IEM/CIEM...hopefully the costs don't keep adding after that.

Nov 2, 2012 at 4:59 AM Post #9,035 of 23,366
Quote:
I usually don't listen to modern hip hop so I might be biased against this track.

The high-hats sound fine, the vocals are, as you mentioned, near-sibilant (the sss sounds are sharp, but not ear-grating sharp like on the Amperior from my experience). Either the sss sounds are near-sibilant and are fatiguing my ears, or my ears are just getting fatigued from the "monotonous" vocals.

...and the number of posts in this thread...

Thank you muchly, I appreciate it especially since it's not something you'd normally choose to listen to.  I agree the vocals are monotonous, probably bc the whole song was recorded in one take (I mainly like it bc of the Dean Martin sample and the culinary references).

I'm thinking about selling my 598's and upgrading to 650's, which means I'll need a desktop amp.  I'm looking at the Little Dot mk 3 and Asgard, and even though I'll mainly be using the M-100's with an e17 I'd like to be able to use them at home with the desktop amp as well.  I know very little about amps but from what I've read the mk 3 (or any tube amp) doesn't pair well with low-impedance cans, while the Asgard does.  The minimum for the little dot is 32 ohms so I'm just curious whether it would work with a can that's exactly 32 ohm, or if I'd be better off playing it safe with the Asgard (8 ohm minimum).

Nov 2, 2012 at 5:03 AM Post #9,036 of 23,366
Quote:
The pads are too small around the top of the ear. It causes irritation.

I had this prob with LP2 as well, my ears are quite round at top. These pads are like made for elf-ears. ^^ I often have great results with round-shaped pads therefore, that I don't need overly large pads if they are round, ofc oval shaped is best but compared to pointy-shaped LP/M100 pads I would even have better result with a round pad whose size could probably be even slightly smaller than the total inner area of this LP/M100 pad.

Nov 2, 2012 at 6:22 AM Post #9,037 of 23,366
This earpad crisis makes me wonder what a few little aesthetic design tweaks and feedback could have accomplished (angled drivers, slightly larger/rounded pads and voila). I mean really the design is the same as the 80 and LP series, while most RnD seems to have gone into sound and the hinge mechanism. How did the discomfort go unnoticed / ignored is curious considering its dealbreaker nature.

Nov 2, 2012 at 6:36 AM Post #9,038 of 23,366
Quote:
This earpad crisis makes me wonder what a few little aesthetic design tweaks and feedback could have accomplished (angled drivers, slightly larger/rounded pads and voila). I mean really the design is the same as the 80 and LP series, while most RnD seems to have gone into sound and the hinge mechanism. How did the discomfort go unnoticed / ignored is curious considering its dealbreaker nature.

Earlier in development, Val did question if he should go with smaller or larger pads.  Unfortunately, it seems he went with the smaller, not sure why.

Nov 2, 2012 at 6:39 AM Post #9,039 of 23,366
Quote:

I'm sure according to Val there's been no real issues regarding comfort as it gets high praise at amazon.com reviews etc. Somehow this comfort issues has been surfaced here on head-fi mostly it seems so who's to blame for not focusing on improved comfort I don't know but Val did mention they've already previously looked at different pad designs but that he expressed his concern about it affecting the sound or isolation.

However since it really seems he's looking into different pad design as well as velours atm, I'm not willing to speak negative about this certain aspect, he's been very kind to take into concideration our requests so I'm not personally the slightest "bothered" that the M100 appears to have less than ideal comfort. Personally I prioritize the sound so highly that I'd be willing to sacrifice some comfort for having my ideal sound.

Nov 2, 2012 at 7:25 AM Post #9,041 of 23,366
Hmm, with Mdr-1r touted as comfortable and flat, m-100 as fun, I'm itching for a few in hand impressions/reviews of the Tiestos. Celeb endorsement aside, I think it's boiling down to these three. A super early december release would be great, cause I'll definitely be back in my home town for X-mas break, which could cause delivery confusions. 

Nov 2, 2012 at 10:37 AM Post #9,042 of 23,366
Quote:

Val has plenty of experience with the same pad size on the LP series, and he has said on these forums that while some people have reported comfort issues, the majority (people like myself) find them to be perfectly comfortable.  I think he wanted these to also be 'sleek' on the head, something that has been achieved - they look awesome.  So it's been a conscious choice to stick with this design, knowing that a minority of people might find them slightly too small, and then working on after-market options for those people in the meantime.

Nov 2, 2012 at 10:40 AM Post #9,043 of 23,366
Quote:
Val has plenty of experience with the same pad size on the LP series, and he has said on these forums that while some people have reported comfort issues, the majority (people like myself) find them to be perfectly comfortable.  I think he wanted these to also be 'sleek' on the head, something that has been achieved - they look awesome.  So it's been a conscious choice to stick with this design, knowing that a minority of people might find them slightly too small, and then working on after-market options for those people in the meantime.

I'm with you.  The pads on the LP/LP2s are absolutely perfect for my ears and by far the most comfy headphones I've worn...and mine are slightly on the big size but they don't stick out very far, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Nov 2, 2012 at 11:00 AM Post #9,044 of 23,366
Seems fine to me. I'm not a fan of that kind of artificial sub-bass, but evidently it seems to be the new "hit" thing in today's music.
A simple YouTube search of "bassy song" results in plenty of this kind of sub-bass emphasised music.

Generally the M-100's are comfortable to me. After exercising for 30 minutes though, the pads are sweaty, hot, and compressed. Taking the M-100's off my head, I can definitely feel that my ears were hard-pressed on the driver enclosure and are a bit painful for a few minutes.

Though I'm pretty sure no one here cares, Chinese pop and classical crossover sounded pretty darn good on the bus today.

Thanks man!

Nov 2, 2012 at 12:11 PM Post #9,045 of 23,366
Quote:
Hmm, with Mdr-1r touted as comfortable and flat, m-100 as fun, I'm itching for a few in hand impressions/reviews of the Tiestos. Celeb endorsement aside, I think it's boiling down to these three. A super early december release would be great, cause I'll definitely be back in my home town for X-mas break, which could cause delivery confusions. 

I am in the same boat - seeing as the K267 Tiesto as all the features of the M-100, + adjustable bass and a more comfortable build. If the bass settings work, and the sound is as balanced as it is fun, I'll have a new main headphone. I should be getting mine sent to me within the next 1.5 weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back