V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Oct 23, 2012 at 3:46 PM Post #8,612 of 23,366
Quote:
I did!  This leads me to believe that either a. the earpads are shaped a bit differently or b. my ears are shaped a bit differently.  Not sure which is more plausible!

Probably "b." Differently-shaped ears is entirely common.

Oct 23, 2012 at 3:57 PM Post #8,613 of 23,366
Quote:
miceblue, your mod is awesome. I didn't have any comfort issues at all, but I was curious about the changes to the sound and it really does open up the soundstage. As an added benefit, my glasses actually fit better with the slightly stiffer pads and the overall comfort of the headphones has improved. I've also noticed that the bass slightly tones down(some of the purring is reduced), but gains a bit more control, and the mids and trebles emerge more from the background. instrument separation is also improved. The main thing I like is the expansion in soundstage. Classical music sounds even better now!

I didn't receive a V-Cork with my M-100s. Have any of you tried experimenting with it in and out to see if it changes the sound signature at all? And if so, should I try stuffing something into the port?

According to V-MODA's M-100 webpage:
Quote:
V-CORK stoppers allow the discerning audiophile to perfectly balance the audio

According to one of the reviews that Val posted:
Quote:
The V-CORK will seal an input not in use and create a balanced listening experience.

According to Val during in the Engadget article:
Quote:
According to Kolton, most companies only check at 1Khz, and allow for much wider variances. He followed up stating that "like fine wine, a headphone is only as good as its fit (taste buds) and its driver variances (grapes/cork)

Taking the cork in and out didn't yield any perceivable differences in sound to me so far. I did notice a slight channel imbalance near 9-10 kHz using this website (these are probably not the exact frequencies, but it's near the end of that sample). I don't notice the channels being more balanced with the corks in, nor did I notice any balance in sound signature.

Even if it did change something in the headphone, I don't see how it could happen. Is there a small LED, or something of the sorts, in the headphone port that detects if something is blocking it? When you lock the cork in place, is there a small switch that gets pushed within the locking mechanism? Maybe I'm just over-thinking all of this.
blink.gif

EDIT: Yeah I noticed a few instances of channel imbalance in the 5 kHz - 10 kHz range (corks are in)

Oct 23, 2012 at 4:35 PM Post #8,615 of 23,366
Quote:
miceblue, your mod is awesome. I didn't have any comfort issues at all, but I was curious about the changes to the sound and it really does open up the soundstage. As an added benefit, my glasses actually fit better with the slightly stiffer pads and the overall comfort of the headphones has improved. I've also noticed that the bass slightly tones down(some of the purring is reduced), but gains a bit more control, and the mids and trebles emerge more from the background. instrument separation is also improved. The main thing I like is the expansion in soundstage. Classical music sounds even better now!

I didn't receive a V-Cork with my M-100s. Have any of you tried experimenting with it in and out to see if it changes the sound signature at all? And if so, should I try stuffing something into the port?

I haven't yet, but Val patented the corks, so he feels it's a huge deal

Oct 23, 2012 at 4:40 PM Post #8,616 of 23,366

Quote:

According to V-MODA's M-100 webpage:

According to one of the reviews that Val posted:

According to Val during in the Engadget article:

Taking the cork in and out didn't yield any perceivable differences in sound to me so far. I did notice a slight channel imbalance near 9-10 kHz using this website (these are probably not the exact frequencies, but it's near the end of that sample). I don't notice the channels being more balanced with the corks in, nor did I notice any balance in sound signature.

Even if it did change something in the headphone, I don't see how it could happen. Is there a small LED, or something of the sorts, in the headphone port that detects if something is blocking it? When you lock the cork in place, is there a small switch that gets pushed within the locking mechanism? Maybe I'm just over-thinking all of this.
blink.gif

EDIT: Yeah I noticed a few instances of channel imbalance in the 5 kHz - 10 kHz range (corks are in)
I honestly thought it was just a bunch of marketing jargon.. I suppose the only remotely explainable situation is the jack being hollow on the other end, allowing a negligible amount of air to flow through. Personally, I'd be damned if I could tell a difference under normal listening environments.. Or perhaps I just dont have super-ears, like the rest of you
tongue_smile.gif

Oct 23, 2012 at 5:21 PM Post #8,618 of 23,366
Quote:

Probably "b." Differently-shaped ears is entirely common.

Seconded.  My left ear touches the driver housing more noticeably than my right.  Reversing the headphones yields a parallel result.

Concerning the use of corks, I haven't noticed a definitive audible difference with or without them but the thought process is practical enough.  Regardless of how audibly beneficial they may be, my obsession with keeping possessions in pristine functional and cosmetic condition is thankful for the dust covers.

Oct 23, 2012 at 6:53 PM Post #8,620 of 23,366
[size=8pt]I've been lurking in the thread for a bout 60+ pages and I have got to say I am really tempted by the M-100. I'm working and have been looking to upgrade (if slightly) I had always been under 150 or so... My current collection of  head phones is a brainwavz hm 3 and Hm 5. I originally liked the Hm 5 because it was so balanced but I’ve come to find it increasingly uncomfortable. The HM3 I picked up to travel in and if I lost it I wouldn’t care about it. I keep these at work now. Outside of really not wanting to wait till December I am curious if the 60 day estimate is really accurate or if under by how much? As well how much off neutral would you guys estimate the Bass is (its one of the things I found missing with my HM5s).[/size]
[size=8pt]Thanks all![/size]

Oct 23, 2012 at 7:07 PM Post #8,621 of 23,366
Quote:
[size=8pt]I've been lurking in the thread for a bout 60+ pages and I have got to say I am really tempted by the M-100. I'm working and have been looking to upgrade (if slightly) I had always been under 150 or so... My current collection of  head phones is a brainwavz hm 3 and Hm 5. I originally liked the Hm 5 because it was so balanced but I’ve come to find it increasingly uncomfortable. The HM3 I picked up to travel in and if I lost it I wouldn’t care about it. I keep these at work now. Outside of really not wanting to wait till December I am curious if the 60 day estimate is really accurate or if under by how much? As well how much off neutral would you guys estimate the Bass is (its one of the things I found missing with my HM5s).[/size]
[size=8pt]Thanks all![/size]

Entry level bass-head, good enough for most. You probably read about all the perks that DO NOT include sound on a few posts, mine or otherwise, and that should take you to believe that they got enough to turn a coin into a more advance set of headphones. The 60 day is probably off (+ or -) by allot because of: the shipping methods and such, and considering that this IS a pre-order as of now so there is no time of arrival for stock or processing requests.

Oct 23, 2012 at 7:10 PM Post #8,622 of 23,366
[SIZE=8pt]I've been lurking in the thread for a bout 60+ pages and I have got to say I am really tempted by the M-100. I'm working and have been looking to upgrade (if slightly) I had always been under 150 or so... My current collection of  head phones is a brainwavz hm 3 and Hm 5. I originally liked the Hm 5 because it was so balanced but I’ve come to find it increasingly uncomfortable. The HM3 I picked up to travel in and if I lost it I wouldn’t care about it. I keep these at work now. Outside of really not wanting to wait till December I am curious if the 60 day estimate is really accurate or if under by how much? As well how much off neutral would you guys estimate the Bass is (its one of the things I found missing with my HM5s).[/SIZE]
[SIZE=8pt]Thanks all![/SIZE]

I would say the 60 day estimate is accurate as for us in August it said the same thing and we didn't get them till The beginning of October.

As for the bass look at this:

BASS - MIDRANGE - TREBLE (credit to curly)

That's really the best way to put it without you hearing the headphones as what's neutral to you may not be what I consider neutral. And curly's example is exactly how I hear it, so I would say that the Bass quite a bit off of neutral maybe roughly a 2-5db bump.

Oct 23, 2012 at 7:25 PM Post #8,623 of 23,366
60 days is what I wasn't hoping for, but c'est la vie for something on preorder. 
the 2-5 db bump was the sort of rough metric I was looking for. The thing that was holding me back about the crossfades was how bass heavy I read that they were. I like a bit of bass but not tons as I lean heavily towards the rock genre. Unless anyone can convince me otherwise in this thread that there is a better option for me then the m-100s I think that is what I'll go with (and I fully realize this is unlikely given its more a m-100 appreciation/ desire thread then a  it is feedback lately ) 

Oct 23, 2012 at 7:40 PM Post #8,624 of 23,366
Quote:
60 days is what I wasn't hoping for, but c'est la vie for something on preorder. 
the 2-5 db bump was the sort of rough metric I was looking for. The thing that was holding me back about the crossfades was how bass heavy I read that they were. I like a bit of bass but not tons as I lean heavily towards the rock genre. Unless anyone can convince me otherwise in this thread that there is a better option for me then the m-100s I think that is what I'll go with (and I fully realize this is unlikely given its more a m-100 appreciation/ desire thread then a  it is feedback lately ) 

I'd honestly say it's closer to a 5-9dB boost?  Still not overpowering though, and works pretty well for rock that doesn't have too much bass in it to begin with.

Oct 23, 2012 at 7:42 PM Post #8,625 of 23,366
Quote:

Someone who preordered his pair last week (on the forums) said that he had his shipped out in 3 days (prior to his preorder) - I think the earlier you pre-order, the better chance you'll have of getting an earlier pair. My guess is anywhere between 30-60 days is a valid area of estimate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back