V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Oct 18, 2012 at 9:25 PM Post #8,237 of 23,366
Hello everyone, i've been following the thread for months now and decided to create a head-fi account. I feel really sold on the m-100 but i'm wondering to anyone who pairs the m-100 to the Fiio e11 vs. just a ipod touch 4th gen. how does the sound signature change? I've heard when properly amped the m-100's purr, could someone explain what the purr is? I would greatly appreciate any help. 

Oct 18, 2012 at 9:29 PM Post #8,238 of 23,366
Maybe I'm "too mainstream", but I just listened to that Jherek Bischoff song through my well put together stereo system.  Do you guys really consider that bass? LOL Sorry but maybe I should just stick with speakers and subwoofers.  This one reference just made me think FOTM.  

Not just that one reference.  I feel that most of these posts are written by kids still in grade school who don't have the luxury of a full blown stereo system (Mommy and Daddy won't allow it).  Can we get some reviews from some adults?

Oct 18, 2012 at 9:44 PM Post #8,239 of 23,366

Maybe I'm "too mainstream", but I just listened to that Jherek Bischoff song through my well put together stereo system.  Do you guys really consider that bass? LOL Sorry but maybe I should just stick with speakers and subwoofers.  This one reference just made me think FOTM.  

Not just that one reference.  I feel that most of these posts are written by kids still in grade school who don't have the luxury of a full blown stereo system (Mommy and Daddy won't allow it).  Can we get some reviews from some adults?

Why are you on a headphone site - comparing headphones to a stereo system? Most of us are adults, and write our posts as such.

Oct 18, 2012 at 9:55 PM Post #8,240 of 23,366

I am laughing for two reasons. Most "kids" have car stereos that have 5x the bass if many peoples home stereos and (while still cheap compared to many) I have a quite extensive 7.1 setup with an additional 2000 watts of bass shakers in my home theater. I just can't carry a 12" powered sub, 2 dual 10" floor speakers, and 4 bookshelves on a plane with me.

Oct 18, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #8,241 of 23,366
Heh... ignoring the trolls.

So now its been a full 2 days after my VTF-100's have arrived and finally starting to understand the full significance of the burn in process.

At this point I can definitely say its been interesting to hear the evolution of the sound and how much I'm really coming to enjoy the rich range of sound these are able to capture.  I couldn't be happier with the purchase.  It reminds me of when I first purchased my first pair of higher end of Sennheisers and was blown away by the rich experience it provided.

As far as noise isolation goes, I work in a noisy animation studio and sit near the rackmount servers.  Usually all i can hear is the whirr of fans and the buzz of a busy studio... now that noise is happily obliterated and i'm able to concentrate on my own music (perhaps a bit too much  haha!) and my impression is the sound leakage from the headphones is completely minimal.

I've said it before and I'll continue to say it:

THANK YOU VAL, V-MODA for all your hard work.  This is a delightful product that you should be extremely proud of.

Oct 18, 2012 at 10:22 PM Post #8,242 of 23,366
Quote:

Yeah well if you're a college student living in a dorm, of course you won't have the luxury of having a full blown stereo system. What kind of statement was that?
Oh yeah, I really enjoy lugging around 100 pounds of stereo equipment everywhere I go as I walk between classes with a couple of 1000 meter long power extension cables.

Oct 18, 2012 at 10:23 PM Post #8,243 of 23,366
hmmm, matte black or shadow? What do you think?
I like the red highlights on the shadow version, but I don't like the shiny plastic look. The matte black looks much better overall, but I kinda wish they had those red bits... lol

Oct 18, 2012 at 10:26 PM Post #8,244 of 23,366
As much as stereosandbeer is trolling, I too am surprised by the lack of reviews and comparisons. I want to jump on the pre order but i'm not sold on these especially with few detailed comparisons to competing phones.

Oct 18, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #8,245 of 23,366
Quote:
As much as stereosandbeer is trolling, I too am surprised by the lack of reviews and comparisons. I want to jump on the pre order but i'm not sold on these especially with few detailed comparisons to competing phones.

This is true. I'm "burning-in" my M-100's with pink noise, so I really can't list any impressions other than my initial ones. I'm not sure why other people are holding back on their thoughts/comparisons other than "they're really good". I'm going to an Apple Store in a mall tomorrow, after my M-100 has been "burned-in" and adjusted to my head, so I can compare it to the UE6000 and Amperior in a noisy environment.

Oct 18, 2012 at 10:40 PM Post #8,246 of 23,366
Guys, don't feed the troll. His user name of choice explains a lot why he's here. Just ignore him and the next time a MOD checks the thread he/she will delete his post and we won't have to read his thread pollution again.

Quote:
Hello everyone, i've been following the thread for months now and decided to create a head-fi account. I feel really sold on the m-100 but i'm wondering to anyone who pairs the m-100 to the Fiio e11 vs. just a ipod touch 4th gen. how does the sound signature change? I've heard when properly amped the m-100's purr, could someone explain what the purr is? I would greatly appreciate any help. 

The term purr is just slang for bass rumble. Basically the mid and sub bass is detailed enough that when the deep lows are hit, for example a bass drum, the lows will rumble. Another example, watch a movie wearing headphones where there's a scene with a avalanche. That deep thick sound as the millions of rocks rumble along is the easiest example I can give. Now that i think of it that sounds like a perfect test for bass extension.

Oct 18, 2012 at 10:42 PM Post #8,248 of 23,366
Quote:
Guys, don't feed the troll. His user name of choice explains a lot why he's here. Just ignore him and the next time a MOD checks the thread he/she will delete his post and we won't have to read his thread pollution again.

The term purr is just slang for bass rumble. Basically the mid and sub bass is detailed enough that when the deep lows are hit, for example a bass drum, the lows will rumble. Another example, watch a movie wearing headphones where there's a scene with a avalanche. That deep thick sound as the millions of rocks rumble along is the easiest example I can give. Now that i think of it that sounds like a perfect test for bass extension.

Or you can run a slow frequency sweep from 0 Hz - 200 Hz.

Oct 18, 2012 at 10:50 PM Post #8,249 of 23,366
Quote:
M-100 provides deeper, tighter, more accurate bass; clearer mids, much smoother, detailed, extended highs and dramatically superior imaging.  In other words, a vastly superior headphone across the board IMO.

Vastly superior across the board, now you have me drooling. Would you say the bass is more, less or similarly emphasized compared to the Amperior?

Oct 18, 2012 at 11:50 PM Post #8,250 of 23,366
Quote:

Where the hell did I even mention bass?  I was impressed by the clear seperation and soundstage of the headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back