V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Oct 18, 2012 at 1:15 AM Post #8,146 of 23,366
As an owner of the M50, I can give you the main points of difference quickly.

V-MODA Crossfade M-100
  • More engaging/forward mids and treble.
  • Much clearer, more detail in all areas. (Bass/Mids/Treble) Especially in Mids & Treble.
  • Bass is larger - in both quality and quantity. Bass has a 'purr' on the M-100's, I could never get this on the M50's.
  • The M-100 is a more colored headphone. Slightly balanced, but focuses more on musicality than perfect representation of the music.
  • Build quality is much much better, but they are non-foldable. However, due to smaller cups, it can still be warn around the neck without much issue.
  • Said smaller cups may be less comfortable than the M50's for people with larger ears. Ear pads are softer on the M-100, leading to equal comfort for both headphones, at least with smaller ears.
  • Detachable cables, custom parts, replaceable pieces, carrying case, 2 year warranty, etc etc. Better repair/replacement-wise than M50.

Audio Technica ATH-M50
  • Detailed treble, but not as much so as on the M-100's.
  • Mids are slightly recessed. This usually leads to Vocals being slightly quieter than accompanying instruments.
  • Detailed bass, slightly colored, but nowhere near as much so as the M-100. Considered a colored headphone, but still more 'flat' then M-100.
  • More 'accurate' sound in comparison to the M-100. Focuses more on representing the original music than making it sound fun with coloration.
  • Nice medium sized cups, fit most ears. Depth on cups is also great. Due to the flat padding, pressure isn't applied to any one spot, so they can be comfortable for hours. headband has good padding, feels solid.
  • Build quality is above average, but the only metal is used for the ring as decoration and the adjusting bracket. Otherwise, these are all leather and good quality plastic. 
  • Cable is long and unwieldy for portable use, at 10ft+. Coiled version solves problem, but adds heft. I personally had a re-cabled version, with a shorter cable, done by a friend.
  • Cable is not detachable, plastic instead of metal means chips and scratches are more likely to occur. 1 year warranty, no test drive, bad repairability if damage occurs. 

.... And those are my thoughts from 3 days of A/B'ing both headphones. I plan on comparing them more, but I am extremely happy with my upgrade from my M50 to my M-100. It's a bigger cost, but worth it - especially for the M-100's. IMO.

I don't recall the mids of the M50 too much, but I definitely agree with the treble (even if I said they were laid back from the mids/lows). The M-100's treble was very detailed from my first listen but the presentation of the treble was kind of a miss for me. My loss is your gain.

1 moar day of burn in! I'm at about 115 hours so far. >: D
Also, I plan on purchasing an Objective 2 amp (or the smaller c421) eventually since I'll be using it to power a K701 in the future, so if I don't post impressions of the M-100 with it, spam me with PM's.

Off topic, but does anyone know where I can read up about what headphone sensitivity means? I just read something about impedance matching for amps (golden rule: the headphone should have > 8 times the impedance of the amp's impedance) and would be interested in the sensitivity values.

Oct 18, 2012 at 1:31 AM Post #8,147 of 23,366
Just pre-ordered my M100s in Matte Black, COULD NOT BE MORE EXCITED! I have waited nearly a year for this moment and I literally am happier than I usually am on Christmas day :).

Agh the anticipation is already killing me lol!

Oct 18, 2012 at 1:43 AM Post #8,151 of 23,366
Quote:

The release price is stated in the Press Release at $300, but if you Pre-Order now at the stated $310 you get an extra pair of Custom shields and the Rouge colored faders for free. So in return you get $65 worth of V-Moda goodness for a measly $10 .

Ooh! When does this preorder end?

Oct 18, 2012 at 3:57 AM Post #8,156 of 23,366
Mine are shipping as well now, phew (must be the last batch of pre-orders).  I'm going to take a moment now to apologise in advance to my F5 button and the USPS website, which I shall be hammering every couple minutes day and night for the two weeks that it will take for them to get to Amsterdam.  Really can't wait to get my hands on these - and absolutely thrilled to see that the M100s are living up to the stratospheric hype and expectations that were built-up over the past year.  

Congratulations on an epic product launch Val!

Oct 18, 2012 at 5:30 AM Post #8,157 of 23,366
Quote:
Ooh! When does this preorder end?

I haven't seen anything mentioned about when it ends yet.
Quote:
Did they say that if you pre order now that you really have to wait till December to get?  I thought that maybe that was for people that are not in the United States and international.

International shipping can be pretty fast, mine shipped on a Friday and I received them the next Tuesday (Singapore).

[EDIT] FYI my shipping was USPS Express
Quote:
So tempting.

Do they need an amp for mostly outdoor use?

If you're asking whether it's easy to drive, I usually listen to mine at between 30% to 50% of the max volume straight from my iPod Classic.

Oct 18, 2012 at 6:33 AM Post #8,158 of 23,366
On amping, it looks like the consensus so far is that they're good straight from a mobile source, but do benefit from a little extra oomph.  I'm hoping they pair well with my Leckerton amp.

Oct 18, 2012 at 7:55 AM Post #8,159 of 23,366
Quote:

On another note - could a mod change the first post at all? Val and multiple others - including me - would like to make this the official thread, but we can't add chapters and change the first post, due to the original posters being unavailable.

I'm the second poster, third post on this thread, and I've been pretty active all along. I continue to check the thread daily. I can edit my original post with updated info. I don't have time right now--today--to make a large substantive edit, but if you want to do it and PM it to me, then I will cut and paste it (with credit to you) on my post on the first page.

Oct 18, 2012 at 8:29 AM Post #8,160 of 23,366
Oh god, they're here! 
I was super scared when I picked up the package just because it seemed too small to contain over ear headphones. 
Turns out the box is about a quarter of the size of the M80 box, yes, veryvery exaggerated, but still. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back