V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Oct 13, 2012 at 4:26 PM Post #7,862 of 23,366
Quote:
Really hope Val can shed some light on this topic... 

RE UK:
I am flying straight from RMAF Canjam -> UK TOMORROW to prep the launch!  It'll be out in the UK within the first few days that it launches, we also ship worldwide from V-MODA.com so you can pre-order there too and get customs and the extra goodies.

I love London and UK.  I did a lot of the 31-band EQ tuning for M-80 at Glastonbury with producers/DJs in the RVS backstage with terrible weather, mud, a broken leg and carrying two behringer fbq6200s.  
Quote:
I had an online chat with a v-moda person who, although very pleasant, wouldn't even confirm that the M100 would come to the UK. AFAIK there isn't a confirmed date for general release in the US yet. It would be nice to get some idea as like you, I am holding off purchasing anything at the moment. Not holding my breath though as I guess they will want to satisfy pent up demand at home first.

Oct 13, 2012 at 4:34 PM Post #7,863 of 23,366
Quote:

RE UK:
I am flying straight from RMAF Canjam -> UK TOMORROW to prep the launch!  It'll be out in the UK within the first few days that it launches, we also ship worldwide from V-MODA.com so you can pre-order there too and get customs and the extra goodies.

I love London!

NICE! I hope UK means at least amazon.co.uk. :p I know I've stressed it a lot but believe me when I say this, if there was only one place you'd have to focus on for europe, this would be it, you'll get the most sales, reviews & attention possible, amazon users typically loves V-Moda products and amazon has free shipping to many places in europe which is rare for europe as a whole, europeans are used to pay for shipping. They also ship very fast and it's easy to return if need be.

For buying new headphones, I check amazon.co.uk before I check availability in my homecountry Finland.

Oct 13, 2012 at 4:56 PM Post #7,865 of 23,366
  Dear Arion:

Yes, that is the question...but rather than assume the answer, I was curious as to whether someone with the statistical expertise to generate such a inquiry could/would do so...

I too made my pre-order on the 16th of August, for plain and simple matte black m-100's, and continue to wait.  I made a pleasant telephone inquiry to V-MODA regarding an ETA of my order noting that some "Head-Fi" members had very publically anounced that they had received a nconfirmation notice that their orders had shipped, (and was told over the telephone that the rest of the orders would, "in all likelihood be shipped by the mid. to end of the week"...i.e., 10/3-5)...well, then I elected to use V-MODA's e-mail contact system..and subsequent responses.
  1. Order # Shipment Details October 6th 2012 @ 8:31 AM
    IcoMessage1.gif
      You Said:
    Dear Sir/To whom it may concern:

Unlike some other "Head-Fi'ers", I continue to "PATIENTLY"...lol...await the delivery of my pre-order M-100 headphones in plain and simple matte black/black and black...etc...

At least 8 days ago I placed a telephone call to customer service, inquiring as to shipping date and an ETA to my home address, (Orlando, Florida area), and was informed that my order was expected to ship out in all likelihood by the mid. to end of the ensuing week...i.e., by Wed. 9/3, Thurs. 9/4 or Fri. 9/5...and that an e-mail would be sent to me confirming the shipment of said order, (#).

It is now 9/6/2012, and I am again requesting an update regarding the shipment date and ETA of my order, based on my selected method of shipping. (I too, am one who is expecting to go on vacation soon, and would very much wish to have these headphones along with me during that time).

Out of curiosity, I would also be interested in knowing how pre-order shipping was prioritized, as I have read that some of the "head-fi" patrons have already received shipping confirmation e-mail notices.

Thank you for your time and patience, I look forward to your response.

Sincerely,
    T............
  2. Re: Order #  Shipment Details

October 8th 2012 @ 7:19 AM
    IcoMessage2.gif
      V-MODA Said:
    T............

The rest of the pre-orders will ship today and tomorrow. We tried to get as many out as possible on Friday with the time given. There was no order, we just went through some of the matte black orders first randomly.

3. Order #

October 8th 2012 @ 9:24 AM
    IcoMessage1.gif
      You Said:
    Dear Sir(s):

Thank you for your reply/update.

Sincerely,
    T............................

4. "Today or tomorrow"

October 10th 2012 @ 7:50 PM
    IcoMessage1.gif
      You Said:
    Dear Sir(s):

Just checking my order status...based on your last response to my last inquiry..."today" would have referred to Monday,10/8/12, and "tomorrow" would have referred to Tuesday,10/9/12...however, when I just checked my order status, it continued to indicate "awaiting shipment"...

So...could you either confirm that my order HAS been shipped, or, if not, could you please communicate with me just when my order will ship to Orlando, Florida?

Thank you.

Sincerely,
    T................................
  5. Re:

October 11th 2012 @ 8:11 AM
    IcoMessage2.gif
      V-MODA Said:
    We are awaiting the 2nd shipment of M-100 expected to arrive by the end of this week, latest, early next week. Once we receive shipment, your order will ship out the same day. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience and we appreciate your patience.

I realize that production issues arise from time to time, however, perhaps one might understand my mild to moderate frustration in repeately receiving inaccurate information regarding order shipment dates, especially in light of my having to leave my home to go on vacation, not knowing when my order might arrive... Has anyone else received similar response from V-MODA regarding pre-ordered M-100's? 

Sincerely,
  T.A. Kogstrom

Oct 13, 2012 at 5:21 PM Post #7,868 of 23,366
Quote:
Thing is, what does it do? Improve leakage/isolation? Cause the sound-stage to get smaller? Alter the bass?

Can anyone check what they sound like and leak/isolate with and without the dampening material?

In a nutshell, yes. Typically, damping behind the drivers reduces the amount of air the headphones draw in, usually attenuating the lower frequencies. In change, damping in front of the drivers behave more like a low-pass filter, impeding on the higher frequencies.

If you read my observation with modifying my friend's LP's, adding damping behind the shields really tames the bass; although this consequently affects the wide, breathy sound stage.
Personally, I'd advise against removing it, unless you wish to be assaulted with bass.

Oct 13, 2012 at 5:22 PM Post #7,869 of 23,366
Could you test what it does on your set Miceblue?

That would require that I take the felt off. In my shield replacement video, I was kind of trying to take it off but it was taped/glued on pretty well. I can give it another try though.

BTW, still "burning-in" my M-100's.

^ yes, my favourite, and only song on iTunes is a 5-minute pink noise track. XD

Oct 13, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #7,870 of 23,366
I think the easter egg he was mostly talking about was the box they came in, there's a sleeve on the outside with all of the marketing and branding and such, but if you slip that off there will be a prettier collector's case-looking box that you'd be more likely to keep on display!

Oct 13, 2012 at 5:37 PM Post #7,871 of 23,366
Quote:
I think the easter egg he was mostly talking about was the box they came in, there's a sleeve on the outside with all of the marketing and branding and such, but if you slip that off there will be a prettier collector's case-looking box that you'd be more likely to keep on display!

Hmm, you're right, that's pretty neat.  I love all these extra touches they have added.

Oct 13, 2012 at 5:46 PM Post #7,872 of 23,366
RE UK:

I love London and UK.  I did a lot of the 31-band EQ tuning for M-80 at Glastonbury with producers/DJs in the RVS backstage with terrible weather, mud, a broken leg and carrying two behringer fbq6200s.  

Many thanks for the kind response.

Oct 13, 2012 at 6:07 PM Post #7,873 of 23,366
Of course I could but I will not.  I am what some people used to call a "classy competitor".  I love making friends and talking to members of the trade.

In fact, it doesn't matter because I think VERY VARIANTLY...  

V-MODA has only four competitors: time, me, myself and I.

EDIT...  added time

AND NOW... will the real M-100, please stand up!?  There are a few more easter eggs on M-100 than "standing above the rest", who can find them?!  Don't forget the package... hint hint hint

Wow, that was a very cool feature! I was eyeballing the package yesterday and it did seem to have an outer sleeve of some sort but I didn't break open the tape because I thought the tape was holding the lid together. Now that is one HIGH QUALITY package you made! Great job.
It's just too bad that I don't have a smartphone to scan the code thing. >.>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGE-Im3sT6g
^ video feature not working for me at the moment

One question I have is, what are the button and handle straps made of? It seems to be the same material as the headband, but I can't figure out what it is. I took off the wingplates to see/feel the material and it feels like a pleather outside, soft canvas material on the inside.

Could you test what it does on your set Miceblue?

So I tried taking it off again, and yeah it's glued/taped on pretty well. There does seem to be an indentation for the felt patch though, so V-MODA did spend some time thinking about that implementation. I'm not sure how it affects the sound, but it might help tame the bass.
Someone earlier asked how thick the felt is. I don't have any calipers but it looks to be about 3-4mm:

Square indentation:

Oct 13, 2012 at 6:31 PM Post #7,874 of 23,366
I was just wondering if anybody has experienced what Val calls "Purring" on a IPhone or IPod? And on what song?

I have experienced it on my desktop setup but I really love it the effect so I was curious if it would happen on an iPhone as that is what I would mainly use on the go. If you can't experience it on a iphone i will probably look into getting a E11 or something similar.

Can anybody comment on this and how the E11 pairs with the M-100.

Oct 13, 2012 at 6:36 PM Post #7,875 of 23,366
My M-100 arrived a few hours ago.  I have listened to them, but am withholding any sonic impressions for at least a week. (reasoning: burn-in, adapt to their signature, compare to others, avoid "new toy syndrome")  A few non-SQ notes:

+It's not an "unboxing."  It's an experience.

+Easily amongst the most premium-feeling 'phones I've ever held; it's second only to the Edition 8.  Construction-wise, however, it may be the absolute sturdiest.

+I ordered the Shadow finish.  I anticipated blingy.  I got classy.  The red is MUCH more subdued than it appears in most of the pictures that I've seen, but still adds a touch of sports car aggressiveness.

+Personalized note indeed.  I genuinely chuckled! (will post more at a later time)

-As with the red flourishes, the brushed-look shields are more subdued in appearance than I anticipated.  However, there is a manufacturing defect with the left one that caused staining/streaking imperfections across its entirety.  It's as if a chemical was unintentionally spilled on it and it ran in several directions.

-I changed my secondary shield order from matte to gloss.  I twice confirmed with support that I was to receive gloss since the details did not reflect the change.  I received matte.

-Like some others have pointed out, my custom design looks fuzzy/uneven around the edges and is more opaque in the center while fading to the left and right.  My design is completely made up of straight lines and right angles.

-The Allen wrench that comes with the secondary shields is of poor quality and stands in stark contrast to the rest of the materials used. ('phones, packaging, et al)

The good has greatly outweighed the bad in my short time with the M-100.  The only build/aesthetic negatives thus far stem from the shields and, to be brutally honest, I'm currently unhappy with both sets I've received.  Should these pass the next week's SQ gestation period, I'll be pursuing customer support.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back