V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Oct 12, 2012 at 9:00 PM Post #7,801 of 23,366
Mine just left the LA sort facility meaning they're probably on a plane or truck making their way to the great white north

So miceblue, how you liking your new investment so far?

Oct 12, 2012 at 9:03 PM Post #7,802 of 23,366
has anyone mentioned yet that u don't need the "shareplay" cable to daisy chain music?.....u can just plug your headphone into the other port as long as the cable is compatible...pretty cool

Oct 12, 2012 at 9:08 PM Post #7,804 of 23,366
Quote:
Soo, they're for gamers who game with a mac and an iPod? Doesn't seem legit to me.. HUGE bummer if that is the case.
Then you can't use an amp when you play? That doesn't seem right at all. Are you sure about this?

you can use an amp when you play with the adapter. just plug the audio side to the amp and the mic to the mic jack. Problem solved :)

Oct 12, 2012 at 9:09 PM Post #7,805 of 23,366
(review copied from the VTF-100 thread)

M-100 VS HD598 COMPARISON REVIEW

I don’t know much about terms and whatnot and what constitutes what so I’ll tell you what happens when I try to compare the two headphones and see what you make of it.

Test: stock M-100 vs hd598 with +4 bass boost on a e17. Take it as you will.

There is a +3 or so volume difference between the two (w/ m-100 being louder). Not quite sure though since it varies with song to song because some things stand out more than others on different songs for each headphone. Also, everybody knows that hd598 will beat m-100 in soundstage.

On the song +ID – MuryokuP, I noticed that I had to readjust the volume difference between the two to a lower difference on my Fiio e17 to balance out the loudness of the guitars. I also had to change the output of the bass increase to +2 to make it sound closer in sound signature as regards to mids and bass.

On BAD APPLE!! – nomico, the bass is punchier and more controlled on the m-100 than even +4 or +6 bass on the hd598. I thought this might have been the e17’s fault so I turned up the volume and lowered the treble to -10 on the e17 with no bass increase just to see if I can get the same punch out of it. Nope, the bass is much more controlled and extended on the m-100.

On the song unfragment – HSP, Miku’s vocals sound more… sibilant on the hd598? It really isn’t a sibilance as a more brightness to it. It shouldn’t make sense since m-100 definitely has the better treble performance there - the beginning few seconds of Story – FELT can attest to that. But take it as you will.

Speaking of “Story”, the treble is definitely more forward on the m-100. Lots more sparkle too. Vocals are a little less forward but by a tiny bit only. Now this song really makes the m-100 shine. A lot of details of the song stand out. There is more resolution and the sound can be described as more controlled.

All in all though, M-100 all the way.

(references not posted due to youtube being bad quality and will not be an accurate representation of tested material)

Oct 12, 2012 at 9:21 PM Post #7,807 of 23,366
Mine just left the LA sort facility meaning they're probably on a plane or truck making their way to the great white north

So miceblue, how you liking your new investment so far?

I think it's worth its investment so far. I wouldn't consider it to be a detail monster, but it has a nice pleasant sound that will probably satisfy my needs in terms of having a headphone for enjoyment vs analysis. I have yet to test it away from home and on the bus/at school...but that will have to wait for another time since it's the weekend.

I was going to test the boom microphone next since it is something I can do at the moment. I haven't used a real microphone before so I'm trying to figure out the settings (both in Windows and Mac OS X). XD

(review copied from the VTF-100 thread)

I don’t know much about terms and whatnot and what constitutes what so I’ll tell you what happens when I try to compare the two songs and see what you make of it.

Test: stock M-100 vs hd598 with +4 bass boost on a e17. Take it as you will.

There is a +3 or so volume difference between the two (w/ m-100 being louder). Not quite sure though since it varies with song to song because some things stand out more than others on different songs for each headphone. Also, everybody knows that hd598 will beat m-100 in soundstage.

On the song +ID – MuryokuP, I noticed that I had to readjust the volume difference between the two to a lower difference on my Fiio e17 to balance out the loudness of the guitars. I also had to change the output of the bass increase to +2 to make it sound closer in sound signature as regards to mids and bass.

On BAD APPLE!! – nomico,
the bass is punchier and more controlled on the m-100 than even +4 or +6 bass on the hd598. I thought this might have been the e17’s fault so I turned up the volume and lowered the treble to -10 on the e17 with no bass increase just to see if I can get the same punch out of it. Nope, the bass is much more controlled and extended on the m-100.

On the song unfragment – HSP, Miku’s vocals sound more… sibilant on the hd598? It really isn’t a sibilance as a more brightness to it. It shouldn’t make sense since m-100 definitely has the better treble performance there - the beginning few seconds of Story – FELT can attest to that. But take it as you will.

Speaking of “Story”, the treble is definitely more forward on the m-100. Lots more sparkle too. Vocals are a little less forward but by a tiny bit only. Now this song really makes the m-100 shine. A lot of details of the song stand out. There is more resolution and the sound can be described as more controlled.

All in all though, M-100 all the way.

(references not posted due to youtube being bad quality and will not be an accurate representation of tested material)

Yay Bad Apple!
I like this song too; it uses the same animation.

[VIDEO]http://youtu.be/I0IfVokV60k[/VIDEO]

Oct 12, 2012 at 9:36 PM Post #7,808 of 23,366
Quote:
No one has posted this either, but upon removing the shields, a piece of felt covers the "V-Ports". Acoustic damping material or isolation solution perhaps?

LOL, that is exactly what I did to my friend's LP's. It really helped tame the wild bass, but significantly affects the sound stage. Overall, it was a noticeable improvement, but I still perfer the V80 sound.. Curious to know the density of that acoustic material..

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannedgds /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Anyone else's order still 'awaiting shipment'? I went with all matte black, no custom shields. I placed my order on Sept. 1.

I also ordered on Sept 1st. Keep in mind, there were more Matte Black pre-orders than any of the other flavors. I wont be the least bit surprized if they arent shipped next week
wink.gif

Oct 12, 2012 at 10:56 PM Post #7,809 of 23,366
Quote:
Post rock and Japanese shamisen is the weirdest combination of music I have ever heard. >.>

Sorry for the blurry photo...hands were shaking with excitement, hahahahaha.
Uploading an unboxing video to YouTube as I type this. It's at 68%.
Initial impressions:
  1. Fit DOES matter. On one position the mids were hollow and bass extension was lacking. Moved the headphones slightly forward and the sub-bass became more noticeable.
  2. Mids seem a bit withdrawn, as AnakChan mentioned, but still very acceptable for me.
  3. Less shimmer in the treble compared to the SRH940, but that might be a good thing for mobile listening
  4. Bass punch is decent, not the best, but it's there
  5. Nice warmth in the mids
  6. To me the bass seems a bit too much, at least in a quiet home it seems that way
  7. SharePlay cable is longer than the regular, single-button microphone cable.
  8. Treble seems to be not as extended as I would have liked and seems a bit plastiky to me (testing using Cloudkicker's "Amy I Love You" song)
  9. ^ yeah cymbal crashes seem a bit quiet (I don't know if recessed is the right word) relative to the lower frequencies (tested using Fourplay's "Bali Run" and 12 Girls Band's "莫高窟 (Mo Gao Ku)" songs)
  10. Dem bass guitars really shine (such as in Fourplay's songs)
  11. Soundstage is decent, not as large as what I was expecting. It seems deeper than wide. SRH940 had a wide soundstage relatively speaking.
  12. Upper mids sound pretty good to me, female vocals seem a bit more realistic than with my SRH940 because of the added warmth I think.
  13. Comfort doesn't seem to be an issue for me, but my ears are starting to warm up after 15 minutes of use.
  14. I don't think the M-100's would be good for rock music if you like to "be the drummer" (pretend you're playing the drumset)
  15. Earcups are actually kind of shallow. The edges of my ears don't touch the earpads themselves, but they do touch the "driver enclosure"
^ sorry for the lack or organization...making this list randomly with random songs. Testing on my Sansa Clip Zip, for a true "portable" test.

Thank you for posting your impressions!!! Can you elaborate on the whole 'drummer' comment? I'm really interested in that since I am one and I look for good drum reproduction in a headphones as well. Thanks in advance.

Oct 12, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #7,810 of 23,366
Hm, I'm finding microphonics to be a small issue with the M-100, contrary to what AnakChan mentioned in an earlier post.

For example, when I turn my head to the left (with the cable being in the left earcup), I can very clearly hear microphonics as the cable rubs against my shirt.
The cable microphonics of the SRH940 (kind of a rubbery cable) are much less noticeable and seem very dampened in comparison (kind of a low-piched sound as opposed to the M-100's higher pitched sound).

Oh, and if anyone cares, I recorded a video of myself installing 1 of my custom shields. It takes some practice, but once you get the hang of it, it should be a quick installation. I talk about the felt pad on the V-Ports as well (around 5:10); I'm not sure if you can see how thick it is though.

[VIDEO]http://youtu.be/HUIZbXerq24[/VIDEO]

Thank you for posting your impressions!!! Can you elaborate on the whole 'drummer' comment? I'm really interested in that since I am one and I look for good drum reproduction in a headphones as well. Thanks in advance.

My impressions might not be accurate since I haven't "burned-in" the M-100's yet, so maybe someone else can help chime in. Is it just me? Also I've never really played the drums before, so my comments may be inaccurate again. :/

Anyway back to the drummer comment. I like to move my hands when playing a rock track as if I were playing the drum set, just a weird quirk I do. The bass pedal of the drum set has some good thump and authority in tracks that I've listened to. To me, the cymbals sound laid back/withdrawn (is that the right word?); they're present and they have some sparkle, but I feel that they're somewhat veiled by the bass pedal, when I think the cymbals are inherently louder-sounding than the bass pedal. This happens on the multiple rock tracks that I've listened to. As a result of this, I find that it's harder for me to "be the drummer" since it's harder for me to hear the cymbals over the mids and lows.

I used the term plastiky to describe it's odd timbre. It's probably not the right word to use, but to me the cymbals seems odd in relation to where the other sounds are coming from.

I've been doing more listening tests on my MacBook + Audirvana [Free] + FiiO E7, and the treble does seem better/more present than on my Clip Zip.

After tonight, probably at midnight, I'm going to let my M-100's "burn-in" by playing pink noise for 24 hours straight to see if it changes much.

If people are wondering, the new Clique hinge mechanism is pretty clever. I don't know why there are so many of the metal discs on the hinge, but the main mechanism is that there is a nub on one disc, and when you fold it, the nub goes into a little niche on another disc, which makes the *click* sound. Doing it in the reverse is the same process. I'm not sure how long this "nub" will last, but since it's made of metal, I'm assuming it will last a while.

Oct 12, 2012 at 11:58 PM Post #7,812 of 23,366
Hm, I'm finding microphonics to be a small issue with the M-100, contrary to what AnakChan mentioned in an earlier post.
For example, when I turn my head to the left (with the cable being in the left earcup), I can very clearly hear microphonics as the cable rubs against my shirt.
The cable microphonics of the SRH940 (kind of a rubbery cable) are much less noticeable and seem very dampened in comparison (kind of a low-piched sound as opposed to the M-100's higher pitched sound).
Oh, and if anyone cares, I recorded a video of myself installing 1 of my custom shields. It takes some practice, but once you get the hang of it, it should be a quick installation. I talk about the felt pad on the V-Ports as well (around 5:10); I'm not sure if you can see how thick it is though.
[VIDEO]http://youtu.be/HUIZbXerq24[/VIDEO]
My impressions might not be accurate since I haven't "burned-in" the M-100's yet, so maybe someone else can help chime in. Is it just me? Also I've never really played the drums before, so my comments may be inaccurate again. :/
Anyway back to the drummer comment. I like to move my hands when playing a rock track as if I were playing the drum set, just a weird quirk I do. The bass pedal of the drum set has some good thump and authority in tracks that I've listened to. To me, the cymbals sound laid back/withdrawn (is that the right word?); they're present and they have some sparkle, but I feel that they're somewhat veiled by the bass pedal, when I think the cymbals are inherently louder-sounding than the bass pedal. This happens on the multiple rock tracks that I've listened to. As a result of this, I find that it's harder for me to "be the drummer" since it's harder for me to hear the cymbals over the mids and lows.
I used the term plastiky to describe it's odd timbre. It's probably not the right word to use, but to me the cymbals seems odd in relation to where the other sounds are coming from.
I've been doing more listening tests on my MacBook + Audirvana [Free] + FiiO E7, and the treble does seem better/more present than on my Clip Zip.
After tonight, probably at midnight, I'm going to let my M-100's "burn-in" by playing pink noise for 24 hours straight to see if it changes much.
If people are wondering, the new Clique hinge mechanism is pretty clever. I don't know why there are so many of the metal discs on the hinge, but the main mechanism is that there is a nub on one disc, and when you fold it, the nub goes into a little niche on another disc, which makes the *click* sound. Doing it in the reverse is the same process. I'm not sure how long this "nub" will last, but since it's made of metal, I'm assuming it will last a while.

Nice unboxing video, despite having my m-100's I still enjoyed watching your unboxing as i like to hear everyone's first impressions.

I was pretty surprised that you didn't get a note from Val in yours, did you not send him a email asking him what you wanted in the note?

And just out of curiosity what song did you listen to when you thought the drum cymbals sounded plastiky?

Oct 13, 2012 at 12:16 AM Post #7,813 of 23,366
Nice unboxing video, despite having my m-100's I still enjoyed watching your unboxing as i like to hear everyone's first impressions.
I was pretty surprised that you didn't get a note from Val in yours, did you not send him a email asking him what you wanted in the note?
And just out of curiosity what song did you listen to when you thought the drum cymbals sounded plastiky?

Yeah I sent V-MODA an e-mail; it was kind of a long note relative to others that I've seen (I asked if he could write something like: personally inspected by Val Kolton + other stuff). I'm not too bummed out about it though.

List of tracks I've used for the cymbals:
Cloudkicker - Amy I Love You
Illness Sickness - Anything But Postrock
Battles - Futura
Matt Mayfield - It's All About You
12 Girls Band - 莫高窟 (Mo Gao Ku)
Malice Mizer - Le ciel

Oct 13, 2012 at 12:29 AM Post #7,814 of 23,366
Quote:

The drummer comment stood out for me too as contrary to what I am hearing.  Listened to some Rush and drums sound great to me.

Oct 13, 2012 at 12:31 AM Post #7,815 of 23,366
Quote:
UPDATE: The space in my right wing piece I mentioned earlier in caused by a broken screw hole the outer piece of the right wing. Any ideas guys?

Note the upper right screw hole is completely destroyed 

My left wing plate was delivered loose also. I haven't tried screwing it back in, so I don't know if I have the same problem as you. I emailed V-MODA support and they said I can send it in to get it fixed, but they won't have parts for a couple months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back