V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Oct 12, 2012 at 3:58 PM Post #7,772 of 23,366
Listening to mine now!!
L3000.gif

Started with Philip Glass Mad Rush. Moved to Sonny Rollins, You Don't Know What Love Is. Then switched to Outkast, Aquemini, and now on to Southernplayalisticadillacmusik.  In a word--DOPE. I can post up more detailed impressions later.

Homer would say, "Can't talk...eating." Right now, I would say, "Can't talk...listening!"

Oct 12, 2012 at 4:14 PM Post #7,774 of 23,366
I'm not referring to hype generated by the company or a strategic market placement in order to develop hype...
I just want some headphones ;-( In typical fashion, I'm far to informed to be this inexperienced.  I'm assuming there isn't a date I can assume there'll be an availability huh?    

Oct 12, 2012 at 4:17 PM Post #7,775 of 23,366
Quote:
I'm not referring to hype generated by the company or a strategic market placement in order to develop hype...
I just want some headphones ;-( In typical fashion, I'm far to informed to be this inexperienced.  I'm assuming there isn't a date I can assume there'll be an availability huh?    

The unfortunate part is that you missed the preorder.

The fortunate part is that our (and V-Moda's) theta-testing can only make the final product even better, and QC will be in full effect for mass production.

Both things will benefit your purchase whenever you get the chance make it.

* * * * *​

You might also want to watch the for-sale section of this site.  It's always possible someone won't like their M-100s and will choose to sell them to a fellow Head-fi member.  If it were me, I'd want to give another member the same deal I was able to get.

And if you just can't wait for the M-100s, the M-80s are as inexpensive as they've ever been -- there might even be excellent deals right after Thanksgiving.

I might also sell my own M-80s at a loss if the M-100s take their place.  

Oct 12, 2012 at 4:32 PM Post #7,777 of 23,366
Finally got them! My heart skipped a beat when I saw them because:

USPS is horrible 
tongue_smile.gif
  ( If anyone else gets this issue, just snap it back on and it works like nothing ever happened )

I'm on my short break inbetween classes but here's some quick comparison notes between the M100 (20 mins of burn in) and the Denon D2000s (modded with D7000 cups and Dynamat, 200 hours of burn in) and the Audio Technica W3000ANV (from memory because my roommate would have lectured me to death if he knew I bought such an expensive headphone) :

- Obvious U shaped frequency curve but not as much as the D2000s

- The M100 has a very tight mid-bass, about half as much sub-bass as the D2000s, and similar to W3000ANV's

- M100s seem to be more, but not too much more, detailed than the D2000s, probably because of the inobtrusive bass

- I expected more bass coming from a portable (not a basshead)

- Mids still recessed compared to the W3000ANV, more forward than the D2000s

- Mids seem cold, spiky and less detailed compared to D2000s and a lot less detailed than the W3000ANVs, maybe more burn in?

- I finally know what high notes sound like! No sibilance detected and a large extension, very much unlike the deafening screech of the D2000s

- I am not good at analyzing highs but it seems to be clearer but less detailed than the W3000ANVs IIRC (yeah I know that doesn't make too much sense)

- Comfort is not that great, but I've been spoiled 
darthsmile.gif

- All in all, very happy with my purchase. Val, when is revolver coming out because I need to give you more of my money!

My at-school rig is Alienware M17x R4 -> ALAC FLAC -> ODAC -> MStage V2. Remember, these are very initial impressions that I did in 20 mins since I read somewhere that someone wanted comparisons with the Denons and I will probably update them once burn in is done and I have the free time.

P.S. Where did you guys find the note from Val? I don't think I got one but I might have missed it when I was unboxing.

Oct 12, 2012 at 4:49 PM Post #7,778 of 23,366
Hmmmm...

Why do I get the feeling that these M100s probably sound similar to the Denon D5000s but with less treble sparkle.... .... ..... Does anyone who has received it also has the D5000s???

Oct 12, 2012 at 5:22 PM Post #7,780 of 23,366
My USPS M-100 Package has not moved an inch from:

International item has left the origin country and is en route to Canada

... Since the 10th. Should I be worried..? This is bugging me. People in South Africa have gotten theirs, but I paid express shipping from LA to Coquitlam, BC, Canada - and I'm still waiting.
blink.gif

Oct 12, 2012 at 5:43 PM Post #7,781 of 23,366
Quote:

... Since the 10th. Should I be worried..? This is bugging me. People in South Africa have gotten theirs, but I paid express shipping from LA to Coquitlam, BC, Canada - and I'm still waiting.
blink.gif

My USPS has been in LA since it shipped. It shipped on the 8th and the first stop must've been LA cuz it's been there since the 10th.

Oct 12, 2012 at 5:56 PM Post #7,783 of 23,366
Post rock and Japanese shamisen is the weirdest combination of music I have ever heard. >.>

Sorry for the blurry photo...hands were shaking with excitement, hahahahaha.

Uploading an unboxing video to YouTube as I type this. It's at 68%.

Initial impressions:

• Fit DOES matter. On one position the mids were hollow and bass extension was lacking. Moved the headphones slightly forward and the sub-bass became more noticeable.
  • Mids seem a bit withdrawn, as AnakChan mentioned, but still very acceptable for me.
  • Less shimmer in the treble compared to the SRH940, but that might be a good thing for mobile listening
  • Bass punch is decent, not the best, but it's there
  • Nice warmth in the mids
  • To me the bass seems a bit too much, at least in a quiet home it seems that way
  • SharePlay cable is longer than the regular, single-button microphone cable.
  • Treble seems to be not as extended as I would have liked and seems a bit plastiky to me (testing using Cloudkicker's "Amy I Love You" song)
  • ^ yeah cymbal crashes seem a bit quiet (I don't know if recessed is the right word) relative to the lower frequencies (tested using Fourplay's "Bali Run" and 12 Girls Band's "莫高窟 (Mo Gao Ku)" songs)
  • Dem bass guitars really shine (such as in Fourplay's songs)
  • Soundstage is decent, not as large as what I was expecting. It seems deeper than wide. SRH940 had a wide soundstage relatively speaking.
  • Upper mids sound pretty good to me, female vocals seem a bit more realistic than with my SRH940 because of the added warmth I think.
  • Comfort doesn't seem to be an issue for me, but my ears are starting to warm up after 15 minutes of use.
  • I don't think the M-100's would be good for rock music if you like to "be the drummer" (pretend you're playing the drumset)
  • Earcups are actually kind of shallow. The edges of my ears don't touch the earpads themselves, but they do touch the "driver enclosure"

^ sorry for the lack or organization...making this list randomly with random songs. Testing on my Sansa Clip Zip, for a true "portable" test.

Oct 12, 2012 at 6:16 PM Post #7,784 of 23,366
Quote:

blink.gif

USPS only offers delivery confirmation services; so it technically isnt tracking. Sorting and Dispatch scans arent mandatory, and not every package gets updated. As long as it isnt held up at customs, your parcel should be moving right along
smile.gif

Edit: Doesnt USPS hand off all border packages to the local courier? have you tried the tracking number on your postal service's website? I know that whenever I receive a foreign tracking number from their parcel service, it usually gets updated in USPS's website whenever it touches our soil

Oct 12, 2012 at 6:24 PM Post #7,785 of 23,366

Users who are viewing this thread

Back