V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Sep 13, 2012 at 1:58 AM Post #6,181 of 23,366
Quote:
You guys shouldn't care for wp8 devices. All of them will use the infamous (for audiophiles) s4 chip which is atrocious compared to the iphone and galaxy s3 w/wolfson.

Quote:
How do you know this?

The problem is that nearly every non-international smartphone but the iPhone uses the Snapdragon S4 -- including the U.S. version of the Galaxy S3 -- because the Tegra 3 is said not to work well with LTE networks.  Now that LTE is about to achieve world domination, I'd guess that rooting, an OTG cable and a portable self-powered DAC are going to become mandatory for sound-conscious Android users until a better-sounding chip's available.

The same goes for Nokia 920 and 820 owners:  The specs on Nokia's site list the S4 for both models.

Sep 13, 2012 at 2:39 AM Post #6,182 of 23,366
^This. I'm more involved in the smartphone world than the headphone world, and the S4 is used on virtually every new high-end Android device, and soon virtually all WP8 devices as well. S3 uses a quad-core Exynos (albeit Cortex-A9) SoC in international models and the S4 in the U.S. One X uses Tegra 3 international and S4 in the U.S.

The good news is that (for Android) new SoCs are on the horizon, including a dual-core Cortex-A15 Exynos, a new TI dual-core, and S4 Pro (basically the S4 but quad-core and with Adreno 320 GPU instead of the lackluster Adreno 225). All should have better sound quality than what is inherent to the current S4 chips.

Sep 13, 2012 at 5:13 AM Post #6,183 of 23,366
Quote:
^This. I'm more involved in the smartphone world than the headphone world, and the S4 is used on virtually every new high-end Android device, and soon virtually all WP8 devices as well. S3 uses a quad-core Exynos (albeit Cortex-A9) SoC in international models and the S4 in the U.S. One X uses Tegra 3 international and S4 in the U.S.

The good news is that (for Android) new SoCs are on the horizon, including a dual-core Cortex-A15 Exynos, a new TI dual-core, and S4 Pro (basically the S4 but quad-core and with Adreno 320 GPU instead of the lackluster Adreno 225). All should have better sound quality than what is inherent to the current S4 chips.

Thanks tons for the information about the three new chips. Question:  What leads you to conclude that "all should have better sound quality"?

OT:  Whenever I read VTF-100, I hear Marlene Dietrich ask, "Vhat zuh f\/(k, zere are only vun hundred?"

Quote:
Is Val still going to do a group shot of all the custom shields from the pre-orders?

The hard part will be getting them to pose without jostling or spitting on each other.

Sep 13, 2012 at 6:47 AM Post #6,184 of 23,366
Is the S4 chip worse than the chip in the iPhone? Really? Wow. That sucks. 
Does a FiiO e17 override that chip or how does it work? 
How about the Galaxy Nexus? 

Sep 13, 2012 at 11:10 AM Post #6,185 of 23,366
Lots of updates coming soon, I approved the MP (mass production).  CNET's Audiohpiliac and Sound + Vision listened to them BEFORE I DID!!! This is historical and proof that I have finally built a team that I can trust...

Here is the V-MODA Japan/Hong Kong office grand opening!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyDjMnPZj-s&feature=youtu.be

-v

Sep 13, 2012 at 11:19 AM Post #6,187 of 23,366
Neeed release. Neeeed shipping. 
deadhorse.gif

Sep 13, 2012 at 11:26 AM Post #6,189 of 23,366
Quote:

The problem is that nearly every non-international smartphone but the iPhone uses the Snapdragon S4 -- including the U.S. version of the Galaxy S3 -- because the Tegra 3 is said not to work well with LTE networks.  Now that LTE is about to achieve world domination, I'd guess that rooting, an OTG cable and a portable self-powered DAC are going to become mandatory for sound-conscious Android users until a better-sounding chip's available.

The same goes for Nokia 920 and 820 owners:  The specs on Nokia's site list the S4 for both models.

GET A VAMP VERSA.
Quote:
Thanks tons for the information about the three new chips. Question:  What leads you to conclude that "all should have better sound quality"?

OT:  Whenever I read VTF-100, I hear Marlene Dietrich ask, "Vhat zuh f\/(k, zere are only vun hundred?"

The hard part will be getting them to pose without jostling or spitting on each other.

It is crazy how much time I spend toying w a smartphone/Mp3 player's particular DAC, Software and op-amp to make the best headphones.  VAMP IS "VERTICAL", many PRs coming soon on our new strategy!

Sep 13, 2012 at 11:33 AM Post #6,192 of 23,366
Opening first M-100s in NYC @ Radio City Music Hall (on stage)

My LP2 and bro Avicii is on my hotel wall in NYC... crazy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back