V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Aug 17, 2012 at 7:36 PM Post #4,966 of 23,366
Quote:
I agree, I'm hoping to see some good reviews but I know the first wave of reviews/impressions will probably be from bias fanboys trying to justify a $310 purchase.
Thank god for InnerFidelity

This is probably true for the most part.
I wouldn't consider myself a fanboy though. I've only owned 1 V-MODA product and that was 5 years ago. I'm also not a basshead at all, so I'm not biased for bass heavy headphones. That being said, I predict the durability of the M-100 is worth its price even if it doesn't quite compare to other $300 headphones. 2/3 of my headphones have broken over the last 2 years...so I'm hoping the M-100 can do better than that. I had higher expectations for Shure's build quality.

As it seems, I can't compare the M-100 to the M-80 upon review time either. >.>

Also, aesthetics are a factor. Being a college student who travels across campus often, visually-appealing headphones are a factor for me. Name me 2 other portable full-sized headphones with a similar bold look in the same, or lower, price range. I can't think of a single one. Denon's new line of headphones is a hit or miss. I don't like their design too much and they are not very portable at all.

Aug 17, 2012 at 7:40 PM Post #4,967 of 23,366
Quote:
Anyone want to give me ideas on how I can justify my reason in buying a $310 headphone? I would pay with my own money but my parents will still disaprove. I mean they're the ones with the credit card lol.

Thanks 
bigsmile_face.gif

Better headphone = better focus during study = better grades 
tongue.gif

Aug 17, 2012 at 7:49 PM Post #4,970 of 23,366
Quote:
Anyone want to give me ideas on how I can justify my reason in buying a $310 headphone? I would pay with my own money but my parents will still disaprove. I mean they're the ones with the credit card lol.

My parents accepted that I hardly spend money on myself, so buying a $250 headphone (last summer) was OK to them.
This time around on the other hand...

Aug 17, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #4,971 of 23,366
Quote:
I honestly just think this means that they reviewed the order and will proceed to do whatever they need to do to get it ready...they can't engrave the shields that fast.

You would be very, very surprised at how fast they can engrave the shields. I've had shields ship within a day of placing an order. Granted, it may not be at a peak time like this, but I'm confident that it shouldn't take them for than a few days to engrave all the orders they're getting.

And I would be very, very surprised if they don't ship within the next two weeks considering that the packaging has been finalized, the units are made, and Val is back from the assembly line. Mid September would be a hilariously long time, and that's probably more in line with the official release of the MPU's.

In any case, onto this stuff about biased reviews. Yes, you most certainly will getting them from people receiving the PPU's. Seeing as how we're rather enthusiastic about this semi-open source produced headphones, it's like asking an apple addict if the latest iPhone is awesome or if Stephen Colbert is excited about the latest Hobbit movies. Both would illicit responses to the tone of "Am I excited for it? Are you excited for  your next breath?" But we're all head-fiers here, and there's a lot of people here with a lot of experience with different headphones. Take the reviews with a grain of salt, but I'd say that you can take a good amount of reviews in good faith. We can't provide the same frequency response charts as Tyll, but impressions are impressions.

Aug 17, 2012 at 8:08 PM Post #4,973 of 23,366
Quote:
...I know the first wave of reviews/impressions will probably be from bias fanboys trying to justify a $310 purchase.

This is despite the 60 day refund period... ?

Quote:

Thank god for InnerFidelity

I'm an avid supporter of Tyll's ongoing contributions, but betting all of your chips on '00' is rarely a good idea.  Ex. the K550 earned high praise from Tyll but has drawn arguably the most partitioned savvy-user reviews of any headphone released this year. (I mostly agree with Tyll's assessment, FYI)

EDIT:
Not that I don't somewhat agree with your point of view.

Aug 17, 2012 at 8:09 PM Post #4,974 of 23,366
By the time people start recieving their PPU's and doing reviews, do you think getting the chance to order a PPU for myself will be too late? As a first legit headphone buyer (my athm50 i got 4 days ago doesn't really count, prob returning) I'm still a little shaky. 

Aug 17, 2012 at 8:15 PM Post #4,975 of 23,366
Quote:
By the time people start recieving their PPU's and doing reviews, do you think getting the chance to order a PPU for myself will be too late? As a first legit headphone buyer (my athm50 i got 4 days ago doesn't really count, prob returning) I'm still a little shaky. 

Probably too late. If you are happy with the sound of M50 i don't see the point of you returning it. The M100 may or may not suit your taste.

Aug 17, 2012 at 8:23 PM Post #4,976 of 23,366
(WARNING:  First-person singular ahead!  Adjust your vanity goggles.)

I'm interested in the VTFs for arbitrary reasons: I happen to dream in black and orange.  All that matters is better customization, more colors and more extras than stock if I do decide to keep them.  I'm also curious to see Jude's contribution firsthand, since he has excellent taste but his concerns (as far as I've observed them) tend to be quite different from Val's.

I have zero interest in picking up punished preproduction headphones.  I can't fathom why people got excited over that, let alone, suggested it in the first place.  It's like demanding to buy the wreckage of a monster truck show because your hero drove one of the obliterated vehicles.  The point should be your own experience as a driver, not someone else's anecdotal ad hoc narrative.

The early adopter angle doesn't interest me, either. 

Still, the purchase isn't a risk because V-Moda has one of the best return policies I've ever experienced.  The refund within 60 days is genuinely upheld.  It's far from a fine-print promise.

Risk won't apply unless or until the policy changes.  The only thing to be vigilant about is my own laziness should I find myself nonplussed. 

================

amipat01:  Correct me if I'm dung, but he doesn't seem to like his M50s.

Aug 17, 2012 at 8:32 PM Post #4,977 of 23,366
Quote:

(WARNING:  First-person singular ahead!  Adjust your vanity goggles.)

I'm interested in the VTFs for arbitrary reasons: I happen to dream in black and orange.  All that matters is better customization, more colors and more extras than stock if I do decide to keep them.  I'm also curious to see Jude's contribution firsthand, since he has taste but his concerns (as far as I've observed them) tend to be quite different from Val's.

I have zero interest in picking up punished preproduction headphones.  I can't fathom why people got excited over that, let alone, suggested it in the first place.  It's like demanding to buy the wreckage of a monster truck show because your hero drove one of the obliterated vehicles.  The point should be your own experience as a driver, not someone else's anecdotal ad hoc narrative.

The early adopter angle doesn't interest me, either. 

Still, the purchase isn't a risk because V-Moda has one of the best return policies I've ever experienced.  The refund within 60 days is genuinely upheld.  It's far from a fine-print promise.

Risk won't apply unless or until the policy changes.  The only thing to be vigilant about is my own laziness should I find myself nonplussed. 

================

amipat01:  Correct me if I'm dung, but he doesn't seem to like his M50s.

Everything approved of and agreed with here. That's all my view as well, glad to see others have the same things in mind.

Aug 17, 2012 at 8:52 PM Post #4,979 of 23,366
Hey guys (and gals)!!!  Been travelling and taking a few days off with one of my business partners, so I apologize for the delays but I'll be catching all up Monday.

We're shooting the photos of the M-100 folding today.  I also have the final test reports,  70+ drop test was successful!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back