V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Aug 15, 2012 at 11:19 PM Post #4,531 of 23,366
Aug 16, 2012 at 12:43 AM Post #4,533 of 23,366
Quote:
D: poor Val. I hope he gets back on track soon.

x Infinity! 
tongue.gif

Aug 16, 2012 at 1:02 AM Post #4,535 of 23,366
How do you guys think the M100 will rank up against other 300 dollar cans, cause im sorta new and ive never spent thta much money on a pair of headphones and i see all these big name famous headphones around the same price. 
do you think thesewill be better? or better in some regards?
persnally im pumped for the m100's and its awesome to see so many people just as stoaked as i am

Aug 16, 2012 at 1:08 AM Post #4,536 of 23,366
Quote:

There have been a few people on this site that have actually listened to pre pre production units.. and they seemed pretty happy with them.

But we will not know until the m100's are in my dirty little hands.

I hope they crush the new denon's in a $ vs $ battle.. Plus they look 100000% better than the Deets or Bennons... lol 

Ya, deffinately a lot sexier and a lot more portable. They look just scrumptious and i cant wait!

really hope Val gets his money from these headphones :)

Aug 16, 2012 at 1:37 AM Post #4,540 of 23,366
After reading some of today's posts involving wood it's obvious some of you guys haven't spent any time reading through the Grado mod threads. If the shields were just a cover I doubt it would make a difference BUT if the wood was part of the cup housing there would be a sound difference. A few examples for you the JVC FX700 IEM is known as the tonality king and it's whole housing is wood. Another example, if you read through the Grado mod threads you'll find enough people yanking their SR60i/80i/225i/325i drivers out of the plastic cups and throwing them into Cocobolo wood cups. The reason behind it is because there's a different tonality to the sound. Depending on the wood the sound becomes smoother without sacrificing detail and even bass will extend deeper depending on what wood is used and how the cups are dampened. Another example the now defunct Denon D5000/7000  both also have wood cups. How about another example, lets look at some of Audio Technicas high end cans and how so many of them use wood. How about Foxtex and their new TH900 again we're seeing wood cups. Final example the infamous Sony R10 which was first released in the 70's in limited numbers and commands a hefty price for serious headphone collectors. Wood plays an important part in a headphone and it's sound when used.

This next part is just me musing, I think we will see something from V-moda using wood but that will the future Revolver. The few pictures we've seen of it is only an early prototype and I'm guessing there probably will be some serious redesigning and tuning before we see the final verdict. I'm guessing the cups will be drastically redesigned and retuned if wood is used, it would have to be. Personally, I'm hoping when V-moda releases the Revolver I hope they make a statement and take a page from Smeggy's Thunderpants.

@Val
If you haven't guessed where I'm going with the last paragraph and pic yes I'm implying and hoping you make a Limited Edition Revolver with woodwork that would rival the picture above. You've put together form, function and audio quality now add a flare of art V-Moda style.

Aug 16, 2012 at 1:48 AM Post #4,541 of 23,366
Quote:
After reading some of today's posts involving wood it's obvious some of you guys haven't spent any time reading through the Grado mod threads. If the shields were just a cover I doubt it would make a difference BUT if the wood was part of the cup housing there would be a sound difference. A few examples for you the JVC FX700 IEM is known as the tonality king and it's whole housing is wood. Another example, if you read through the Grado mod threads you'll find enough people yanking their SR60i/80i/225i/325i drivers out of the plastic cups and throwing them into Cocobolo wood cups. The reason behind it is because there's a different tonality to the sound. Depending on the wood the sound becomes smoother without sacrificing detail and even bass will extend deeper depending on what wood is used and how the cups are dampened. Another example the now defunct Denon D5000/7000  both also have wood cups. How about another example, lets look at some of Audio Technicas high end cans and how so many of them use wood. How about Foxtex and their new TH900 again we're seeing wood cups. Final example the infamous Sony R10 which was first released in the 70's in limited numbers and commands a hefty price for serious headphone collectors. Wood plays an important part in a headphone and it's sound when used.

This is precisely why I doubt having wooden shields would make any appreciable difference in sound, as the shields are only a cover for the headphones. I've often considered putting my Alexandro MS-1 in different housing, but I've hesitated due to 1) the difference it'd make to the sound, 2) potentially screwing it up with my klutzy hands, but I really don't think that wooden shields would make much of a difference to the sound.

Aug 16, 2012 at 3:01 AM Post #4,543 of 23,366
Quote:
I swear if these headphones come up while I'm not home! gonna be so pissed!!!

I share the same feeling, I'll be upset if they become available while I'm at work or sleeping. It might happen, because usually, Val posts a bit overnight (my time).

To prevent this, as I told Curly, I think that Val should 'hand-pick' the first users from head-fi to get Pre Production Units. He's had his eye on this thread for a while, so he can generally tell who has had the most interest, and who has seemed the most excited. It's all his decision in the end right? So I think it'd be fine to let him pick from all of us. He could then open what's left to the rest of Head-Fi/Facebook/V-MODA.

This way, no matter if you've been active or lurking, we all have a chance to get one of the limited models - does this sound good?

Aug 16, 2012 at 3:16 AM Post #4,544 of 23,366
I don't mean to be rude but I think there's a problem with that method. Some users, like myself, have been following this thread for some months now and probably haven't contributed because they aren't as knowledgeable as the rest of you, but have been paying attention to what's going on with the development of these headphones. Edit: That being said, I joined head-fi because of this thread well before the head-fi 'benefits' had even been mentioned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back