V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Aug 15, 2012 at 2:13 AM Post #4,491 of 23,366
Quote:
Oh and can someone explain why an iPhone is used so much as a source?

Because the iPhone/iPod has become the most popular player on the market and has been that way for awhile. Considering the M-100 can be used as a mobile headphone it makes sense to use an iPhone or iPod. I wouldn't mind seeing some future impressions with a Sony player but that's just me.

Aug 15, 2012 at 2:56 AM Post #4,492 of 23,366
Quote:
Oh and can someone explain why an iPhone is used so much as a source?

I might be wrong, but I also read that Droid phones have audio driver issues in general. There's also a consistency issue with the phones themselves. The iPhones are all the same, so they have the same functions and basic features, the Droid phones not so much.

Aug 15, 2012 at 3:49 AM Post #4,495 of 23,366
Quote:
If he used them all with the same amp, wouldn't that mean that without an amp, the same results hold true? None of them would get the boost that they got with the amp.

There may be some amazing synergy going on with the vamp and M-100, but baring that, the results should be the same un-amped. Even if they aren't, I'm NOT spending $600 x2 on both a VAMP and iPhone 4.

It's time for the questions, again. :wink:  I'm using BRSxIgnition's quote as the gun, along with the recent E11, and E17 Fiio's posts. Here come's the bullet. A quote from The Matrix: "Dodge this:"

So what is really the difference between the M-100 (or any other headphone) amped and un-amped? Is it just louder with an amp?

I've read recently here that the Fiio E11 has a better amp, than the E17. Where the E17 has a better DAC. Does the E11 have a DAC? <-(I can't find "DAC" on the E11 description)

So what is the difference between the two, and would I benefit from an amp, or from a DAC with the M-100, if I'm not looking for loudness?

I have to take care of my hearing, so I would most likely all the time will listen to the M-100 only when there isn't outside noise that would interfere with the M-100 without music, and at very low volumes.

Thanks in advance!. You guys are awesome. and Thanks AnakChan, for talking a little more about it.

Oh, and yeah, sorry...it's time for me to go to sleep.

Goodnight!

Oh, and I know, I'm a total noob.

Aug 15, 2012 at 4:01 AM Post #4,496 of 23,366
Quote:
...  So what is really the difference between the M-100 (or any other headphone) amped and un-amped? Is it just louder with an amp?

I've read recently here that the Fiio E11 has a better amp, than the E17. Where the E17 has a better DAC. Does the E11 have a DAC? <-(I can't find "DAC" on the E11 description)

So what is the difference between the two, and would I benefit from an amp, or from a DAC with the M-100, if I'm not looking for loudness?

This should really be in the portable headphone amps thread, not a headphone thread: http://www.head-fi.org/f/105/portable-headphone-amps
The E11 is purely an amp and is generally regarded as one of FiiO's better amps. The E17 is a portable USB DAC/amp combo to improve the sound quality by bypassing a computer's sound card.

That being said, in general, amps can both increase the sound quality of a headphone (take a look at the AKG K701) and increase the volume level.
Most portable headphones don't require an amp, but can often benefit (better bass response for example) from one.

Aug 15, 2012 at 4:03 AM Post #4,497 of 23,366
I think some of you guys are trying to draw blood out of a stone speculating what they will sound like.

olpne: If you can plug a pair of headphones into something and hear music, it has some kind of amplification. A dedicated amp, not having to share a power supply and whatnot with other components and not needing to be squeezed into the smallest possible space, can better control the diaphragms of the headphones. It isn't just about making the sound louder, but better control giving the listener the ability to hear more detail in the music with larger headphones.

Aug 15, 2012 at 4:05 AM Post #4,498 of 23,366
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet or not, but are the M-100's not going to have changeable wing plates?....I was looking at the photo V Moda posted on their Facebook of the M-100's standing on their own and it looks as if there are no screws, it looks the same as the M-80's.

I'm guessing they aren't changeable because if they were they'd be the same color as the shields right?

Aug 15, 2012 at 4:27 AM Post #4,499 of 23,366
Quote:
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet or not, but are the M-100's not going to have changeable wing plates?....I was looking at the photo V Moda posted on their Facebook of the M-100's standing on their own and it looks as if there are no screws, it looks the same as the M-80's.

I'm guessing they aren't changeable because if they were they'd be the same color as the shields right?

Huh. Good eye, there, bud. That'll be sort of a bummer if that's the case, since I already ordered some custom plates (technically for the LP2, but will fit on the M-100), and I guess the wing plate parts will just become scrap metal :|

Aug 15, 2012 at 5:30 AM Post #4,500 of 23,366
Rather odd to read all this concern about Head-fi authenticity.  You can always spot a poseur by their complaints about other poseurs (oops! -- I've just im-posed myself).

Where was the care when Grado introduced the HF-1 and -2?  Where, for that matter, was it when past deals were offered?  If a rep, vendor and/or CEO wants to limit entries or create a hierarchy ("the first hundred to respond get X"), it's usually done through a first-sent/posted/messaged, first-noted list, innit?

* * * *​

Here's one thing I'd like to see feel:  A return to the LP's pads as opposed to the M-80's, which seem very Sony V6 and perhaps a dinky step down.

Something to think about, Val "Innovate or Die!" K.:  Optional pads for comfort and prestige.  You could offer them along with custom shields.

And never mind about the orange cable controversy sparked by certain of Val "Go Creative!" Kolton's ebullient remarks.  Since cables are detachable, one can always have someone else confect them. (I've actually commissioned orange cables on Head-fi before.)

If only manufacturers offered cables in a Pantone wheel of colors. (And now back to concerns far less shallow than my own.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back