V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Jul 16, 2012 at 11:24 PM Post #3,451 of 23,366
Quote:

It's $45 for one kit that includes a pair of custom shields with engraving plus the tools and hardware to install it.  MusicCrave said V-MODA told him if he wants a different design on each cup he'd have to purchase two kits = $90.

This $45 engraving kit is not listed on the V-MODA store. What exactly can they do for this added cost? Does it look that different from what you can achieve with the $25 kit?  I wish there was a side-by-side comparison image somewhere so we can see what exactly we're paying for.

Jul 16, 2012 at 11:32 PM Post #3,452 of 23,366
Quote:

This $45 engraving kit is not listed on the V-MODA store. What exactly can they do for this added cost? Does it look that different from what you can achieve with the $25 kit?  I wish there was a side-by-side comparison image somewhere so we can see what exactly we're paying for.

Yes it is. When you upload an image that you want engraved the price automatically goes from $25 to $40. 

Jul 17, 2012 at 12:35 AM Post #3,453 of 23,366
Quote:

Val has also answered this question about costs of custom engraving. The artist has to resize the image depending on resolution, and if you send an image that isn't black/white he has to do some photoshopping and then there's actual engraving that sometimes results in several sets being engraved before they get it right. For the amount of work and time involved, V-MODA literally makes little to no profit at all on customs. They do it because they're awesome.

Jul 17, 2012 at 3:06 AM Post #3,456 of 23,366
Which Android would it be, though? Hopefully the next HTC flagship 
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Quote:
If V-Moda were to make it specifically for a certain smartphone model that'd be a huge error on their part, especially HTC, seeing as they seem to want to throw in the Beats stuff into all of their phones now. But the big thing is A) the phones are a pretty big size compared to the iPhone and B) the android market moves way too fast with way too many options that it'd be a faulty idea to hedge their bets on a single phone.

from the images I have seen of the Go-Dap X, its formfactor-less,  it has no shield, like the go-dap 4. But I do hope they take the cue I gave Fiio, and make covers that combine the Go-Dap with a particulkar phone, eg, covers for HTC One X and SGS3, that way you can just swap covers and the device attach just as nice and snugly as a VAMP to an iPhone 4. And both are protected, and then the device can scale with MANY phones. it also opens up for aftermaket covers to be made, so that Venturecraft don't haveto worry about it. And from the V-moda standpoint, more customizability, and most likely premium design and fashionable covers. 

Jul 17, 2012 at 3:07 AM Post #3,457 of 23,366
Quote:
Yes it is. When you upload an image that you want engraved the price automatically goes from $25 to $40. 

Thanks guys for the info.
atsmile.gif
I was initially planning on purchasing a couple of custom shields when I thought it was $25 for a set.

Brb, resuscitating my wallet!

On a more serious note, I'm sure there's more effort involved into customizing the shields than most of us think, I don't discredit what they are doing at all. But given the final cost of the work, I don't think I could justify purchasing multiple sets. Definitely getting at least one set being made tho!

Jul 17, 2012 at 3:43 AM Post #3,458 of 23,366
There actually is quite a bit of work that goes into making the shields - Val has gone over it before, but basically, they have artists who have to basically redraw everything in vector art and in such a form that the CNC machine can actually read it, then laser the shields with that - and sometimes it takes two or more tries to actually get it perfect.  It's a very labour-intensive process, it's not as simple as just printing something out on paper!

Jul 17, 2012 at 8:27 AM Post #3,462 of 23,366
Quote:
Thanks for that. Not to sure how bad the LP2 leak sound but hopefully it is suitable for use in a quiet environment..

They won't be a Denon D2000 if thats what your asking

Jul 17, 2012 at 8:41 AM Post #3,464 of 23,366
Quote:
Well I was hoping they leak way less than the beats studio. It will be a huge bonus if it there is no leakage like on the edition 8

I wouldn't know about either, havent tried the latter, and burnt all traces of the former from memory.

Jul 17, 2012 at 8:55 AM Post #3,465 of 23,366
Quote:
Well I was hoping they leak way less than the beats studio. It will be a huge bonus if it there is no leakage like on the edition 8

Yes it will leak a lot less than Beats Studio, those leak like crazy for a supposedly closed design. Couple of youtube videos shows it quite well, this was a Studios vs PRO comparision:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_E7EAZh9KA

The openings probably are covered by a fabric on the V-Moda headphones is my guess which should drasticly reduce the leakage vs using no fabric like on for example Sony XB series, at least based on my tests with LP2 that's what I'd be guessing. The leakage isn't quite as minimal as on the Beats Pro in that video but LP2 is a lot more closer to Pro than Studios leakage-wise for comparision's sake, it's only audible faintly at normal/higher volume.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back