V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Mar 8, 2012 at 11:47 PM Post #526 of 23,366
I feel like such a little kid/pampered rich girl, lol checkin this everyday and getting so excited over a pai of headphones...... However I'm not ashamed of it, it's been a while since I felt this type of excitement about anything :D

Mar 9, 2012 at 3:42 AM Post #528 of 23,366
wow we should have a poll of how many have followed since the beginning.
and also who has read all the posts.

Mar 9, 2012 at 9:44 AM Post #530 of 23,366
That makes two of us, i'm obsessed with this thread and love how Val is taking feedback from all of us, making these headphones for the fans, with the help of the fans - love it.

Sure hope I can manage to convince my parents to get me these as a graduation present, custom side panels with the university logo and 2009-2012 on the side, pretty cool, no? :)

"There is something else about M-100 that is different, overall however." 

Damn you Val you big tease, lets all come up with consipiracy theories, so its a feature that's making the ergonomics of the headphones a little more difficult, well i'm stumped i'm gonna keep thinking, keep up the good work people 

JB

Mar 9, 2012 at 3:21 PM Post #532 of 23,366
Quote:
LATEST NEWS.  We experimented with several models today.  Two used a special 50mm driver and one had a 40mm driver.  The 40mm sounded VERY much like a HD25... but I greenlighted to go with the 50mm for now and try one more round of the 40mm without as high of highs that will be done on monday.  It sounded quite bright for the sound signature, demographics, volume level and long term listening V-MODA is aiming for with M-series.  

I think the 50mm we ended up with is quite amazing, its crystal clear, has sub-bass and extends very high.  3/4 of us voted for the 50mm sound signature, it is also unique and non-fatiguing!  Almost there...  

Quote:
Update - I did one more 40mm version of a M-100, and it sounds amazing.  But I think overall the 50mm I signed off on the other day is perfect and less fatiguing for longer listening sessions.  Initially I sometimes think the 40mm is better, but after 20 minutes it just seems too "agressive" or staging isn't where I want it.  After all, the original LP is analogous to mean "Long Play" or "Live Play" and this is our theme.

I say 50! So I think it's done guys, I am so thrilled with the sound - it's truly the best headphone I've ever listened to and I truly believe this sound straight out of an iPhone 4/4S unamped is a real steal at $299. So, goal accomplished and I'm coming home! 

Val-

After reading about all the input and testing you have taken into account with the M-100 I was wondering how you feel about burn in and how do you think that may affect your testing? In particular, when you are creating new drivers, or doing design verification testing at a factory, and only have a short period for feed back do you worry about the sound changing over time? 

As an engineering student I find the whole process interesting and was hoping to hear your thoughts. 

-j

Mar 9, 2012 at 5:03 PM Post #533 of 23,366
Val, one question concerning when this is released and also the m-80. Amazon UK just got m-80s, and could you tell me if I can still get that 60-day test period through amazon on your m series?

Mar 9, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #534 of 23,366

Quote:
Not bad... In Canada we only got 100CAD before taxes kick in. For something 330USD I got charged 78CAD for customs! And this is with USPS&CanadaPost... If it were a private company like UPS I'd expect upwards 150CAD!

Did I mention taxes also went up since then?!

Ouch!I thought that being charged 42 and having to treck down to the large Depot (only opem M-F 9-5) was bad enough!

Mar 9, 2012 at 11:34 PM Post #535 of 23,366
Hope I can buy these in the UK when they are released, sick of seeing everyone walking around in beats, I want to show everyone what real headphones sound like whilst also looking even better, aww yeah. 
beyersmile.png

Mar 10, 2012 at 12:01 AM Post #536 of 23,366
Hope I can buy these in the UK when they are released, sick of seeing everyone walking around in beats, I want to show everyone what real headphones sound like whilst also looking even better, aww yeah. 
beyersmile.png

I will do it in Singapore!

Mar 10, 2012 at 1:36 AM Post #538 of 23,366

Quote:
Val-

After reading about all the input and testing you have taken into account with the M-100 I was wondering how you feel about burn in and how do you think that may affect your testing? In particular, when you are creating new drivers, or doing design verification testing at a factory, and only have a short period for feed back do you worry about the sound changing over time? 

As an engineering student I find the whole process interesting and was hoping to hear your thoughts. 

-j

BURN-IN
As InnerFidelity points out, the burn-in does change the drivers slightly over time.  But it isn't NEAR the perception of sound as the "fit" adjusting to your ears.  The cushion + headband adjustment will create a much greater variance than the driver's change.  Therefore, we test it usually baked "out of the oven", but if we think its near where we want it we'll listen for hours.  If it then passes this test (which took many months on M-100), we go to PP pilot production and Design + Engineering Validation testing.  There we can test consistency of the driver in making up to 200 pieces (depending on the initial ~20 results).  Once PP is finished and during DEVT, we do real-life DJ/audiophile performance beta testing, focus groups and the in-depth tests including the MIL-STD-810G tests of humidity, vibration, drop, bend, salt spray, temperature, and on and on...  

Unfortunately, due to pressure we sometimes use PP units for sales + some media, but it can backfire!

I just got some reports in from some new parts yesterday,in fact. This will help determine the MP, mass production date and I heard it looks good!  I'll make some videos along the way, so I can show ya'll the process over the coming weeks.  I can maybe mask up the product to take some "spy" photos. 

-v  

Mar 10, 2012 at 1:37 AM Post #539 of 23,366

Quote:
Val, one question concerning when this is released and also the m-80. Amazon UK just got m-80s, and could you tell me if I can still get that 60-day test period through amazon on your m series?

Amazon should be able to cover our 60-day policy!  Glad they got them loaded up, M-80s are in VERY low supply but we're making more!

Mar 10, 2012 at 1:49 AM Post #540 of 23,366

Quote:
Val, you wanted MP input, so here's my $0.02....

Beware of factory leaks, make sure you have safeguards against fugazi!

From where I live, the # of fugazis for sale > genuine... although I'm glad i haven't seen any from your brand. I'm one of the happy few who is lucky to own a V-MODA over here.... If only I had the resources to set up a V-MODA monarchy in my place lol......

We don't have to worry about our factories as we are there daily and only use very close partners that are amazingly legit, but there definitely are a ton of fake V-MODAs, especially Crossfade LP, Vibe/Vibe Duos + Remix and they are GAINING in volume.  So we are rolling out a FUGAZI system soon to make sure your product is authentic!   It's been in the works for a very long time to combat this terrible issue that degrades our reviews, kills sales at our top retail partners and of course brand reputation...  Google "fake beats" and go to the sites, V-MODA shows up above many Beats models :<.

Quote:
Congrats Val I'm looking forward to listening to the M100 and comparing it to my M80. I'm happy you're also going the portable amp\dac route. Any plans in the near future for a high end IEM?

High-end IEM is Vibrato + we're ALWAYS working on future models, but they aren't near as close to fruition as the other products I've mentioned, which start launching within 3 months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back