V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Feb 25, 2012 at 1:15 PM Post #346 of 23,366

Quote:
Maybe true but its a pretty standard feature for headphones in this range; my MS400 has swivel cups and they don't strike me as fragile in the least, they get tossed in my bag and around my studio and bedroom every day for over a year with zero signs of wear. Given the quality of the M80s and LP2s in terms of build, I don't doubt they couldincorporate a sturdy swivel mechanism with ease.

Stay tuned...one thing is for sure, if it ain't broke - don't fix it (too much)!  we get INSANE reviews on all our LPs, beyond my expectations it hovers among the top reviewed headphone of ALL headphones on both Amazon and Newegg (even though LP is more consumer/DJ/bass/outdoors optimized than M-80).

-v

Feb 25, 2012 at 2:50 PM Post #347 of 23,366
As an engineer, I totally respect the standpoint of staying with the status quo when it is working.  However, I am from the line of thought, that if you could remove any design issues that people experience, it would not only improve the end product, but also limits any negative perceptions people would have.  

Personally, I believe swivels (slight range of maybe less than 20 degrees) will increase the comfort level for people who want to wear it for extended periods of time.  Just hope it is something that will be considered.

Feb 25, 2012 at 4:26 PM Post #349 of 23,366
Tbh i for one dont give a damn about swivel cups. if they are there or not, they only reason i wont mind is if they save space, otherwise it doesnt matter to me.

I would prefer durability over tricks, but I can see how others would want it.

EDIT: this sounds harsher then i intended, im simply saying swivel cups dont matter to me. Its not a buying factor for me.

Feb 25, 2012 at 4:39 PM Post #350 of 23,366
Stay tuned...one thing is for sure, if it ain't broke - don't fix it (too much)!  we get INSANE reviews on all our LPs, beyond my expectations it hovers among the top reviewed headphone of ALL headphones on both Amazon and Newegg (even though LP is more consumer/DJ/bass/outdoors optimized than M-80).

-v

Clearly it isn't broken - they are very nice headphones :) But I have seen multiple people complain about the discomfort caused by lack of a swivel on the M80, so it seems worth considering :)

Feb 25, 2012 at 4:42 PM Post #351 of 23,366
Maybe I should clarify what I am thinking. I am not advocating a 90 degree swivel (that would still be nice) that needs some reliababilty testing, but just something simple enough that could increase the comfort level. Maybe more like a ball in joint is all that is needed to create enough flexibility to cover a wide range of users and increase the comfort level. Just a thought, since I like to wear headphones for an extended period of time, and adjustment is helpful in those instances.

Feb 25, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #352 of 23,366
Just take my money already 
tongue.gif

Feb 25, 2012 at 6:12 PM Post #353 of 23,366
Quote:
Maybe I should clarify what I am thinking. I am not advocating a 90 degree swivel (that would still be nice) that needs some reliababilty testing, but just something simple enough that could increase the comfort level. Maybe more like a ball in joint is all that is needed to create enough flexibility to cover a wide range of users and increase the comfort level. Just a thought, since I like to wear headphones for an extended period of time, and adjustment is helpful in those instances.

I know what you want, you want the exact fitting thats on my d2k, moves about 20 degrees, bullet proof, and does help with comfort.

Feb 25, 2012 at 6:16 PM Post #354 of 23,366

Quote:
Just take my money already 
tongue.gif

Agreed, this thread is internet crack, I check it twice a day and I'm never satisfied. I will swap an important body part for a prototype right now... you can take my ears, my current headphones are destroying them anyway.

Feb 25, 2012 at 7:41 PM Post #359 of 23,366

Quote:
As an engineer, I totally respect the standpoint of staying with the status quo when it is working.  However, I am from the line of thought, that if you could remove any design issues that people experience, it would not only improve the end product, but also limits any negative perceptions people would have.  

Personally, I believe swivels (slight range of maybe less than 20 degrees) will increase the comfort level for people who want to wear it for extended periods of time.  Just hope it is something that will be considered.

Trust me guys, I debate swivels and lab test their durability EVERY DAY for nearly 8+ years.  My very first headphone and flagship design EVER (which isn't out yet in fact) had a swivel.  

We eventually may release a swivel model too, but I've decided that for DJing the swivel is a death-wish and we'll only release it when its ready and with OCD consideration on its durability.  Therefore, it could take even longer, as quality is #1.

I'm VERY hard on my headphones and before I started V-MODA I'd break an in-ear in about a week by weights, elliptical, car doors and plane seats killed the cables), and swivel headphones when I DJ in 2-6 weeks (except the HDJ-2000 which lasted me much longer).

This is the reason we've worked so hard over the years developing our own labs and using "crash-test DJs" (instead of DUMMIES get it), who are very rough on their products like Sander Kleinenberg, Erick Morillo and myself.  Does anybody know our "ejection" mechanism built into the arm and cup on LP/LP2/M-80?  It's quite amazing yet I haven't really publicized it and it took 1+ year to develop.   There is a 3 stage mechanism to prevent it from breaking when it is abused, I envisioned it to be like a jet's "eject". 

I have another theory on swivels too, I'll explain more later.  I think it is quite fascinating, and if you read all the 200+ reviews on Amazon too, almost all are 5 stars which is showing us a lot of real-life proof data on our comfort and ergo research.

-v  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back