V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Feb 25, 2012 at 7:47 PM Post #361 of 23,366

Quote:
Trust me guys, I debate swivels and lab test their durability EVERY DAY for nearly 8+ years.  My very first headphone and flagship design EVER (which isn't out yet in fact) had a swivel.  

We eventually may release a swivel model too, but I've decided that for DJing the swivel is a death-wish and we'll only release it when its ready and with OCD consideration on its durability.  Therefore, it could take even longer, as quality is #1.

I'm VERY hard on my headphones and before I started V-MODA I'd break an in-ear in about a week by weights, elliptical, car doors and plane seats killed the cables), and swivel headphones when I DJ in 2-6 weeks (except the HDJ-2000 which lasted me much longer).

This is the reason we've worked so hard over the years developing our own labs and using "crash-test DJs" (instead of DUMMIES get it), who are very rough on their products like Sander Kleinenberg, Erick Morillo and myself.  Does anybody know our "ejection" mechanism built into the arm and cup on LP/LP2/M-80?  It's quite amazing yet I haven't really publicized it and it took 1+ year to develop.   There is a 3 stage mechanism to prevent it from breaking when it is abused, I envisioned it to be like a jet's "eject". 

I have another theory on swivels too, I'll explain more later.  I think it is quite fascinating, and if you read all the 200+ reviews on Amazon too, almost all are 5 stars which is showing us a lot of real-life proof data on our comfort and ergo research.

-v  

Do you mean how the cable comes out of the headphones if it gets snagged on something? Because that's saved my Crossfades a few times.

They’re also prepping a headphone amp that snaps onto the back of an iPhone, and that includes a rechargeable battery that powers the amp and the phone.

Is there going to be a version of this that can go on the back of an iPod Touch?

Feb 25, 2012 at 8:01 PM Post #362 of 23,366

Quote:
I saw you post something about the "ejection system" in a review for the LP2. Didn't know the M-80 had it too, cool.

It isn't needed as much in M-80 as LP2 as the arms are stiffer and the product is lighter if it is dropped.  But it is there on M-80, it just works slightly differently bc of its smaller design.  The eject mechanism uses different kgF to either pop the arm out or eject past a certain point, I'll video demo it someday but we don't want to encourage people to try it at home, its meant to be an alternative option to breaking.

-v

Feb 26, 2012 at 6:20 AM Post #367 of 23,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by valkolton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My very first headphone and flagship design EVER (which isn't out yet in fact) had a swivel.  

i see what u did there
wink_face.gif
, implies flagship headphone is in development?

We eventually may release a swivel model too, but I've decided that for DJing the swivel is a death-wish and we'll only release it when its ready and with OCD consideration on its durability.  Therefore, it could take even longer, as quality is #1.

good move in my opinion, keep the reputation for quality,

Feb 26, 2012 at 6:21 AM Post #368 of 23,366
Feb 26, 2012 at 12:27 PM Post #369 of 23,366
Sorry to hear that swiveling cups are not coming to the M-100... that same omission is really making the M-80 quite uncomfortable for me: even with their much lower clamping force they can't rival the HD-25 or DT1350 in comfort. Maybe its less of a problem with over the ear cups...

Feb 26, 2012 at 4:04 PM Post #372 of 23,366

Quote:
For those looking for a circumaural version of M80 with similar build quality and isolation plus a little more bass and swiveling cups, Philips Fidelio L1s may be worth it as some 300 usd portables.

Have you heard them yet? Only asking because if you haven't it would be pretty odd of you to recommend them, especially in a thread that's about the M-100.

Feb 26, 2012 at 7:06 PM Post #375 of 23,366
Somehow I seem to connect the dots....

Hey Val remember this ----> "Life revolves around music...."

Yes I do! It's my first and flagship concept ever "Revolver", it just hasnt made it to market in 8 years plus... Rome wasn't built in a day, but the R&D DNA from the uber flagship is in all our products. I like to think of it as Formula 1 research.

M-100 is inching closer, in a few hours I'm signing off on PP (pilot production) acoustics and colors!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back