V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Feb 22, 2012 at 8:51 PM Post #331 of 23,366

Quote:
So it will have slightly more bass than the M-80, more forward mids, and less rolled off treble compared to the M-80 (but more rolled off than a ....?)

I don't know if it really needs more forward mids but I wouldn't say no to more even midrange and avoid those 5dB boosts often seen around 1 - 2kHz range, while it may sound good for a non-audiophile for increased presence in mids a more experienced user rather takes the more even midrange for a more accurate tonality on vocals especially (less than 5dB variance at least in the 500 - 2000Hz range plz), that's more important for me to avoid unnatural sounding vocals for example, more highs presence would probably be welcome too especially if it has slightly more bass too but I wouldn't make it a V-shaped FR balance either, there's enough of those offerings, even/neutral mids and highrange + slight boosted bass would be my sound signature of choice but then again my Q40 already offers this which I love it for.

Feb 22, 2012 at 8:54 PM Post #332 of 23,366
Agreed...the HD25 kind of has that market, and Ultrasone and ATH both have plenty to offer in the $100-$300 range for such a signature. But there isn't really a solid high-range portable with forward mids and well-extended, prominent bass, that doesn't require an amp. Some of the midrange Beyers fit the bill but they require amps to reach their full potential.

If it was out there...I'd have it :p
Quote:
I don't know if it really needs more forward mids but I wouldn't say no to more even midrange, that's more important for me to avoid unnatural sounding vocals for example, more highs presence would probably be welcome too especially if it has slightly more bass too but I wouldn't make it a V-shaped FR balance either, there's enough of those offerings, even/neutral mids and highrange + slight boosted bass would be my sound signature of choice but again my Q40 already offers this.

Feb 22, 2012 at 10:43 PM Post #335 of 23,366

Quote:
For amps, does anyone think that an e11 will suffice for the M-100 possibly? While the e17 is quite attractive, its nowhere near my current funds for my portable setup.

I believe the E11 would be great! I believe the M-100 would be easier to drive than the Pro 900 and the E11 paired nicely with my Pro 900.

Feb 23, 2012 at 8:38 AM Post #336 of 23,366
Is an e17 really required? Or a e6 or e7 could do the trick? I hope Val gives us the numbers soon so we can set aside the money :p

Quote:
^^ +1 (000,000,000)

M-100 money = set aside. E17 = pre-ordered. New music = downloading. Thumbs = twiddling in anticipation.

This "trick" you speak of, Val. It has built-in teleportation capabilities, doesn't it? It can take you from club to club instantaneously, huh? I knew it! And you heard it here first :)

Feb 23, 2012 at 8:46 AM Post #337 of 23,366
Amazon will be the first to carry it as of now besides V-MODA.com.   It also has a "trick" I haven't shown yet to the public.

BTW here is skrillex and his custom V-MODA the night before he won his grammy!!!  he has a phantom chrome too, last summer we got **** together for wearing pants to pool party in Vegas and he was wearing the exo-case on his belt!

-V

So Val... What numbers can we be expecting.... Would a e6 be enough to suffice the m-100 or something as big as a e17? Or maybe you guys could create an amp to go with the m-100 too!

Depends on when it will be released and if I'm lucky I'll get it sent to a friend to bring back.
Else amazon or V-MODA directly.
By the way did you get Amazon to ship direct? Or did you use a 3rd party shipper like Comgateway. I'm unsure which shipping method is cheaper.
Also worried that if M-100 costs USD300 and we add in the shipping, it will go past the SGD400 limit we have for tax relief.

As for the amp, I'm still thinking of either a E17 or E9 with E7/E17. 
This hobby is starting to get expensive.

P.S  And I've yet to receive my M-80 yet I'm already talking about the M-100  \("o")/

Amazon delivers directly to your doorstep... But if there is no one home or at that address... You'll have to collect it a your nearest post office.... So best has someone at home :)

Feb 23, 2012 at 12:55 PM Post #338 of 23,366
I believe it is important to address the quality of the manufacturing process. With out knowing all the details,I would venture a lot of Design for manufacturing went into the previous v-80. My push for the m-100 is to improve the hardware if possible. A great sounding headphone is no fun if you only have sound from the right side of the headphone. 

For me the weakest link is the headphone jack. The female jack on the left earphone. Because you have removable cables the jack has to be very robust.  I took apart a pair of v-80 and loved the module design. When looking at the jack it was very secure, however, the point of contact where the female jack makes contact with the male jack is very tiny. This pressure point or lack off pressure will cause a problem. ( Due to the small space this is a very small jack and a single pressure point of contact is part of the design) Perhaps a different jack could be sourced with larger diameter contact that would improve the contact issue and the pressure applied.

This is my observation. I say all this because the pair of v-80 I own has this problem with the sound only coming from the right earphone. If I apply pressure to the headphone jack by pushing and twisting I can get sound back, but as soon as I let go the sound goes away.

When contacting V-moda, I did get a quick reply from their automated service and another email answering my question asking for a replacement part. Very professional. Their response is to send it to them for repair. From Ontario the shipping costs would be high. I was hoping to get a part replacement which I could install myself. The jack is mounted on a single sided pcb with 4 wires soldered to it. Very easy to replace.

cheers

Feb 24, 2012 at 1:03 AM Post #339 of 23,366
I have been following this thread with great anticipation, but wanted to add my 2 cents. I know Val has plans to make the M100, one of the best sounding headphones, and sound like one of the best with an amp, but I didn't want to lose sight of the portability of it. Any word on designs for swivels or ability to adjust the headband for greater portability?

Feb 24, 2012 at 3:04 AM Post #340 of 23,366

Quote:
I have been following this thread with great anticipation, but wanted to add my 2 cents. I know Val has plans to make the M100, one of the best sounding headphones, and sound like one of the best with an amp, but I didn't want to lose sight of the portability of it. Any word on designs for swivels or ability to adjust the headband for greater portability?

I'm really hoping for a little bit of swivel (doesn't need to spin in circles like a grado) but just enough to adjust to the angles of my ears like you are. This would be a welcome surprise but it's not something I would hold my breath for based off the M-80 and the LP being non swivel. 

Feb 24, 2012 at 3:23 AM Post #341 of 23,366

Quote:
I'm really hoping for a little bit of swivel (doesn't need to spin in circles like a grado) but just enough to adjust to the angles of my ears like you are. This would be a welcome surprise but it's not something I would hold my breath for based off the M-80 and the LP being non swivel. 

I doubt that'll be added, it would require a fundamental redesign of the headband...it's also just another point where it could break.

Feb 24, 2012 at 3:13 PM Post #343 of 23,366
Maybe true but its a pretty standard feature for headphones in this range; my MS400 has swivel cups and they don't strike me as fragile in the least, they get tossed in my bag and around my studio and bedroom every day for over a year with zero signs of wear. Given the quality of the M80s and LP2s in terms of build, I don't doubt they couldincorporate a sturdy swivel mechanism with ease.

Feb 24, 2012 at 4:27 PM Post #344 of 23,366
I would love to see swivel cups, which will make the headphones more comfortable and fit better.
I spent at least an hour to bend V80's headband to fit my head comfortably (I do not have a screw driver of right size, as screws are very tiny). They fit well now but the sliding mechanism is no longer as secure as before.

Feb 24, 2012 at 7:19 PM Post #345 of 23,366

Quote:
I would love to see swivel cups, which will make the headphones more comfortable and fit better.
I spent at least an hour to bend V80's headband to fit my head comfortably (I do not have a screw driver of right size, as screws are very tiny). They fit well now but the sliding mechanism is no longer as secure as before.

How'd you do that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back