V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Feb 19, 2012 at 5:15 AM Post #271 of 23,366
Personally I hope not, would be a bummer if I bought these and soon after an upgraded version comes out for some reason. Plus there are only 2 M-series products that currently exist, I am sure that there will be more M-series products in the future.

I'm saying an upgraded version of the M-100 itself not M-series.... But same thoughts as you otherwise:D

Feb 19, 2012 at 6:40 AM Post #273 of 23,366

Quote:
Maybe a different version with different impedance? Hope not though I prefer just keep it simple...

I agree, a single all rounder as previously described (great bass, not bloated with lots of detail and extension, the same as the M80 without an amp and better with one) will be a massive hit, compared to 1 bagillion different versions each with its own strength IMHO.

Feb 19, 2012 at 8:44 AM Post #274 of 23,366
If the m-100 unamped sounds worse than the m-80, I'm pretty sure many mainstream people won't like it because ... I mean they're portable headphones? I mean sure audiophiles to some extent take portable amps with them but most people like v-moda because of the portability... i hope it at least equals the SQ of the m-80.

Feb 19, 2012 at 12:45 PM Post #275 of 23,366
I don't know how the M-80s sound, but I read they have good overall SQ.
I also read they are neutral, and I don't like it.

If it's possible, I wish they had the same design and bass of LP2s, and the mids&highs of M-80s.
Or, why not, better bass than LP/LP2s and better mids&highs than M-80s
It would be nice if you could rotate them like the AKG K81s (or similar hps).

Feb 19, 2012 at 1:30 PM Post #276 of 23,366
Quote:
I don't know how the M-80s sound, but I read they have good overall SQ.
I also read they are neutral, and I don't like it.

If it's possible, I wish they had the same design and bass of LP2s, and the mids&highs of M-80s.
Or, why not, better bass than LP/LP2s and better mids&highs than M-80s
It would be nice if you could rotate them like the AKG K81s (or similar hps).

These are portable cups not DJ cups, if you want DJ cups but the LP2 or wait for a new version in that series.

Feb 19, 2012 at 1:46 PM Post #277 of 23,366
This question is probably completely ridiculous for an audiophile but would there be a possibility for iPhone/iPod controls with mic, either through a separate model of the headphones or through a replaceable cable?

I'm only getting into headphones but just from the interactions of Val with this board and the reviews of the M-80's, the M-100's will be my next headphones.

edit: I should have done this before but I just looked into the M-80's and they come with a 3-button remote microphone cable so I'd assume the M-100's would be similar?

Feb 19, 2012 at 2:03 PM Post #278 of 23,366

Quote:

These are portable cups not DJ cups, if you want DJ cups but the LP2 or wait for a new version in that series.

Wrong, the M-100 will be over-ear, not on-ear.  Still considered portable because of the size though.  I use my LPs out and about without issue

Feb 19, 2012 at 2:07 PM Post #279 of 23,366

Quote:

Wrong, the M-100 will be over-ear, not on-ear.  Still considered portable because of the size though.  I use my LPs out and about without issue

For me LP2 wasn't quite "over-the-ear" though because the inner diameter between the pad was too narrow, but there would be a very simple solution to this as I've said many times and will say again, the pads looks to be about 1.5 cm wide which is very wide imo, just reduce width/diameter of the pad to say 1 cm and voila´ 1 cm more width to innerdiameter gained and ears would probably fit perfectly fine for 90%+ people. This is those "must-have" changes for M100 as it's so easy to do and so useful change IMO. It may even give a soundstage improvement as the space around ear is increased.

There's absolutely no need to make the cups bigger (that would worsen the portability), just modify the pads instead.

Feb 19, 2012 at 2:59 PM Post #281 of 23,366

Quote:
It also probably means sacrificing some isolation though, don't you think? At least for those for whom the LP2/theoretical M100 would already be fully circumaural. Maybe VMODA could just offer different pad thicknesses? Probably asking too much though.

Don't think there would be a big difference, the biggest source for leakage are the 3 small V-shaped bass ports at the back which obviously are covered with a fine layer of dampening material which obviously still lets sound in/out though. I'm sure the benefits by making the pads more narrow outweighs the amount of loss in isolation, at least that's something I'd personally be more than willing to sacrifice but yea I'm sure that change is small at best in terms of isolation.

Feb 19, 2012 at 3:53 PM Post #283 of 23,366

Quote:
For me LP2 wasn't quite "over-the-ear" though because the inner diameter between the pad was too narrow, but there would be a very simple solution to this as I've said many times and will say again, the pads looks to be about 1.5 cm wide which is very wide imo, just reduce width/diameter of the pad to say 1 cm and voila´ 1 cm more width to innerdiameter gained and ears would probably fit perfectly fine for 90%+ people. This is those "must-have" changes for M100 as it's so easy to do and so useful change IMO. It may even give a soundstage improvement as the space around ear is increased.

[pic]

There's absolutely no need to make the cups bigger (that would worsen the portability), just modify the pads instead.

Good point, I suppose I was only thinking of myself and my experience with the LP/LP2 as the pads do fully enclose my ears

Feb 19, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #284 of 23,366
Ok guys, I'm flying to Asia to finish the M-100 and launch V-MODA in China, I DJ in Beijing!  I won't come home til its done, so wish me luck and I'll appreciate lots of feedback here over the coming weeks.  

I'm going to try a lot of final things based off the input here as well as the audiophile, consumer and musician shows lately, thanks everybody!

Stay tuned, literally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back