V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Feb 4, 2016 at 4:10 AM Post #22,396 of 23,366
interesting...

i guess for my purposes the cliqufold hinge is more important.

i think thats why they didn't include them in the wireless (that way the m100s aren't phased out)

thats 1 thing the m100s still have a leg up on the wireless

+1!! amen

but its so close =( can't you just bend the headband to make it fit you? like tyll did in his m80 review

Tyll is a crazy rich old man. He teared almost everything (even LCD headphones, damn) I will consider doing that later when I have a replacement. Not now.

Feb 4, 2016 at 4:13 AM Post #22,397 of 23,366
Come to think of it, that's another reason I love the M-100 so much: I can crank it up a lot without the treble hurting my ears, and it still sounds nice and crisp. (My ears are sensitive to mids & highs, and I always have to wear earplugs at concerts, nightclubs, live shows, and sporting events. Afterward I pull out my earplugs, put on my headphones, and crank up my beloved huge bass increments and absolutely have a ball!)

Here's the M-100 response curve again:  http://s42.photobucket.com/user/twister6/media/twister6053/vmoda_m100_freq_zps03125f06.jpg.html

Viva V-Moda!  :beyersmile:

I wont prefer crank it, might damage my ear. But I do admit that M100 have an outstanding sound isolation, and compared to any other headphones it work nicely in a crowdy environment.

Feb 4, 2016 at 4:17 AM Post #22,398 of 23,366
+1 i think numbers are important but more important is how they sound under real condition with external noise. I had the Oppo Pm-3s for some the best portable headphone but i found under noisy envirents they lacked excitment unless you cranked the volume really loud. I find can listen to vmodas at low volume and still get the oomph i crave.

Wow, I just get a hang that most people own M100 either own PM3 or aiming for PM3(like me).

Really? I never get to listened PM3 in a noisy environment but M100 standout nicely in a noisy environment (I remember the first time auditioning M100 in an exhibition and it is really standout)

Feb 4, 2016 at 4:20 AM Post #22,399 of 23,366
  As an owner of some well loved neutral cans, the M100 is one of my most sought after for portable sound,

The Harman Curve works well in an isolated room but in the noise on a busy street it goes for a giant toss as the low freqs are literally destroyed on

the noise of cars and people.

The Audeze are famous for their bass and weighty low end response and far from neutral considering the overall warm tone so the argument that non-neutral

headphones such as the Audeze have issues with the sound is a big call.

I have a whole bunch of mid-fi portables with slightly boosted bass and thats never been a problem since thats what most consumer friendly sound signatures are

aimed at and comparing the rating of Beats to V-Moda is silly because the Beats crowd isnt gonna buy V-Moda.

They are buying image with Beats which V-Moda wont give them no matter how snazzy the V-Moda look. The V-Moda reviews will be from a crowd which knows what its buying.

I have an ER-4, because I can't stand listening to music when someone's car is being louder than what I'm listening to.  I can't really make much of a remark on it, as background noise really disturbs my music time, but I think isolation is something you should consider before response curve in relation to a street.

Audezes aren't severely coloured.  When I made that statement, I should have clarified that I was meaning more coloured headphones.  And Audezes have problems due to being planar.  While the bass response is magnificent, the treble is considered bad for the price unless you're looking at the newer production runs of the EL-8 (In earlier production runs, the treble was trash for this headphone).  The soundstage is also considered lacking.  Despite those flaws, they have a sound that many people will adore because of micropreferences.

Does anyone else consider V-Moda to be the better Beats?  I ended up here when I was looking for a headphone, and all I knew was that Beats R Bad.  This headphone is aimed toward consumers despite it not having a huge advertisement campaign.  It's still sold at Best Buy, it's still put up as a display model, it's still tuned for a consumer sound.  It's eye catching for anyone who wants, basically, a better Beats.  So I think that the V-Moda crowd is more well-informed than the Beats crowd, but I think it's reasonable to assume a large portion of those reviews were made by people who got these as their first headphone that isn't schiit.  I looked at a few pages of the 5 stars and I saw so many reviews that were just people who had no clue what they were talking about, and I never saw a truly great headphone in my eyes mentioned once.  "The best sounding portable over-ear headphone you can buy under $1,000" was seriously a title.  Someone else gave them no cons.  A few people described it as "realistic sounding".  Despite the product being better than Beats, when you have no experience with something, you cannot make calls like that.  Most of the 5 start reviews in the M100 amazon are about as useless as the 5 stars on Beats, because buyers can't make calls when that's about all they've heard.

Feb 4, 2016 at 4:52 AM Post #22,400 of 23,366
  Does anyone else consider V-Moda to be the better Beats?  I ended up here when I was looking for a headphone, and all I knew was that Beats R Bad.  This headphone is aimed toward consumers despite it not having a huge advertisement campaign.  It's still sold at Best Buy, it's still put up as a display model, it's still tuned for a consumer sound.  It's eye catching for anyone who wants, basically, a better Beats.  So I think that the V-Moda crowd is more well-informed than the Beats crowd, but I think it's reasonable to assume a large portion of those reviews were made by people who got these as their first headphone that isn't schiit.  I looked at a few pages of the 5 stars and I saw so many reviews that were just people who had no clue what they were talking about, and I never saw a truly great headphone in my eyes mentioned once.  "The best sounding portable over-ear headphone you can buy under $1,000" was seriously a title.  Someone else gave them no cons.  A few people described it as "realistic sounding".  Despite the product being better than Beats, when you have no experience with something, you cannot make calls like that.  Most of the 5 start reviews in the M100 amazon are about as useless as the 5 stars on Beats, because buyers can't make calls when that's about all they've heard.

This is a very interesting observation and I think it applies to a lot of other headphone models. While I still think that the M100 is quite a good choice for audiophile bassheads, it does seem that the hype for VMODA is comparable to that of Beats.

Also, I've heard that the recent Beats models (made after they got sold to Apple) is not as bloated as before. Have not given them a listening yet so I can't tell.

Feb 4, 2016 at 12:13 PM Post #22,401 of 23,366
  This is a very interesting observation and I think it applies to a lot of other headphone models. While I still think that the M100 is quite a good choice for audiophile bassheads, it does seem that the hype for VMODA is comparable to that of Beats.

Also, I've heard that the recent Beats models (made after they got sold to Apple) is not as bloated as before. Have not given them a listening yet so I can't tell.

Talk about the overstatement of the century.  Ask 10 people on the street if they've heard of Beats headphones and 9/10 would have.  Ask 10 if they've heard of V-MODA...maybe 1.  Not even in the same stratosphere as far as hype and recognition go.

The Studio 2.0 over and on ear models both sound significantly better than their predecessors...though they still are way behind V-MODA's M100 & XS respectively as far as sound and especially BUILD quality.

Feb 4, 2016 at 4:13 PM Post #22,402 of 23,366
I wouldn't knock V-Moda as being part of Best Buy or the Beats audience. At least in mine, they're next to Sennheisers and B&W and other high-ish fi brands in the Magnolia section. The ones out on the floor are the JBL, Beats, and Bose, etc. I don't know if this is part of some plan by V-Moda/Best Buy or if Best Buy just sticks it back there because of the lack of "display" vs the others. They'd probably sell more of them if they were out on the floor, especially since they're right around the price range of the others and they have a "consumer" sound profile.

Feb 4, 2016 at 6:15 PM Post #22,403 of 23,366

Talk about the overstatement of the century.  Ask 10 people on the street if they've heard of Beats headphones and 9/10 would have.  Ask 10 if they've heard of V-MODA...maybe 1.  Not even in the same stratosphere as far as hype and recognition go.

I think he means V-Moda hype is to the Head-Fi crowd as Beats hype is to "person on the street".

Feb 4, 2016 at 7:13 PM Post #22,404 of 23,366
I do not see as many posts in the VMODA XS thread as I do the M100 thread So I don't think we have VMODA hype happening here I think we have M100 hype happening. But is it really hype? I ask because Head-fi hype is usually of the FOTM variety but this thread has 1494 pages and the headphone was released several years ago so clearly this on not an FOTM phenomenon. Its also not driven by VMODA or Head-fi admins as neither participate in this thread much. So this thread is full of average member posts. Which begs the question do most head-to-head members really prefer neutral/balanced signatures? The numbers of posts in this thread would suggest not. If you look at the IE8/80 threads with thousands of posts in each my point is driven even further home. I think most head-to-head members love a healthy dollop of bass, they just was want quality miss and treble to go along with it.

Someone mentioned basshead audiophiles and I think that sums it pretty well :).

Feb 4, 2016 at 11:15 PM Post #22,405 of 23,366
  I have an ER-4, because I can't stand listening to music when someone's car is being louder than what I'm listening to.  I can't really make much of a remark on it, as background noise really disturbs my music time, but I think isolation is something you should consider before response curve in relation to a street.

Audezes aren't severely coloured.  When I made that statement, I should have clarified that I was meaning more coloured headphones.  And Audezes have problems due to being planar.  While the bass response is magnificent, the treble is considered bad for the price unless you're looking at the newer production runs of the EL-8 (In earlier production runs, the treble was trash for this headphone).  The soundstage is also considered lacking.  Despite those flaws, they have a sound that many people will adore because of micropreferences.

some reviews on amazon, like on head-fi are from people that own/ or tried them  them and want to share their thoughts

is it a crime not to listen to the the "headphones" you consider great? and what makes them "great"?

they share their insights based on their own experiences. and as the reader you should know that everything you read should be taken with a grain of salt.... and you should look at the way they write the review, and see if they compare them with others gear they've tried. or look at their history to see how much "experience" you would like call it, makes them creditable

some exaggerate, some don't 

it does sound you would rather these "average" consumer not post ANY  reviews at all, because they "don't know what sounds good". if they've taken the time to review them and give their thoughts, they deserve a voice, and they can speak out on their thoughts and opinions. 

there really isn't a criteria to be someone in your words "know what their talking about", the term audiophile gets a negative connotation because of this superiority complex, of telling others that the "public is dumb" and "they have no idea what sounds good"

anyway my thing is that if your not a fan of the m100s i'm not saying you don't post here (at all), but it seems like your trying to grab at every opportunity to bash them. 

nevertheless i cannot go on, i would hate to raise any red flags on this thread

Feb 5, 2016 at 12:51 AM Post #22,406 of 23,366
  see if they compare them with other gear they've tried.

At a local hi-fi shop, I've plugged my portable rig (with my extreme EQ presets) into various Sennheisers, Sonys, Denons, Hifimans, and Beyerdynamics, and in terms of my own personal standards for headphones, my M-100s totally dominate all of them. Unfortunately, the hi-fi shop didn't carry the JVC HA-SZ2000, which I really wanted to sample. But based on what I've read about the SZ2000s on Head-Fi (as well as comparing the response curve of the SZ2000 to the one of the M-100), it looks like I might not like the SZ2000's apparent lack of clarity, sound quality, portability, and the way it sounds at low volume. It also appears to be really "boomy" in the midbass region, which I might not like. People on Head-Fi would describe it as "rattling their teeth and jawbone," which sounds like midbass that's doing that.

anyway my thing is that if your not a fan of the m100s i'm not saying you don't post here (at all), but it seems like your trying to grab at every opportunity to bash them. 

nevertheless i cannot go on, i would hate to raise any red flags on this thread

You do know that you can hover your mouse pointer over someone's username and choose "Block Member," right? I've done that to at least one person, already. 
wink.gif

Feb 5, 2016 at 4:23 AM Post #22,408 of 23,366
At a local hi-fi shop, I've plugged my portable rig (with my extreme EQ presets) into various Sennheisers, Sonys, Denons, Hifimans, and Beyerdynamics, and in terms of my own personal standards for headphones, my M-100s totally dominate all of them. Unfortunately, the hi-fi shop didn't carry the JVC HA-SZ2000, which I really wanted to sample. But based on what I've read about the SZ2000s on Head-Fi (as well as comparing the response curve of the SZ2000 to the one of the M-100), it looks like I might not like the SZ2000's apparent lack of clarity, sound quality, portability, and the way it sounds at low volume. It also appears to be really "boomy" in the midbass region, which I might not like. People on Head-Fi would describe it as "rattling their teeth and jawbone," which sounds like midbass that's doing that.

Wait. So you "developed" different EQ presets for M100, and then were comparing it to other cans using the same presets meant to be used specifically with M100? lol.
Also, SZ1000 and SZ2000 will eat M100s for breakfast any day of the week. There is simply no comparison in technologies involved manufacturing those 2 very different headphones. But if you want to stick with JVCs here, S500 would me more fair comparison for V-Modas I guess. :p

Btw,

Now,...I just can't stop enjoying my music. In fact, all of this [EQ] has made a bigger difference in sound quality for me than a year ago (in January 2015) when replacing my old pair of fake Beats Pro headphones with a genuine pair of V-Moda M-100s.

I think this says it all.

Feb 5, 2016 at 6:09 AM Post #22,409 of 23,366
Wait. So you "developed" different EQ presets for M100, and then were comparing it to other cans using the same presets meant to be used specifically with M100?

The main difference I noticed with the other cans was the lack of sub-bass. I had to use bass increments in my EQ presets that were several notches higher to match the amount that sounded good with my M-100. But that also meant that those other cans lacked sensitivity in the sub-bass region, so I got amp clipping (with the Cayin C5 amp) at lower volumes.

Btw,
I think this says it all.

Ahhhhhh,...am I supposed to feel stupid, or something? 
tongue.gif

Feb 5, 2016 at 6:31 AM Post #22,410 of 23,366
Also, SZ1000 and SZ2000 will eat M100s for breakfast any day of the week.

Care to be more specific about this?

Yes, I've heard that the SZ2000 has more sensitivity for bass than the M-100. But, what about all the other issues, such as portability, clarity, and sound quality? I also heard that those JVCs use two separate drivers: one for bass, and the other for mids & highs. I heard that they don't work well together at low volume and it sounds like all bass. What's your experience with them been like?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back