V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Feb 2, 2016 at 11:20 PM Post #22,366 of 23,366

It's not gonna help my classified, but I absolutely hate the M-100 :/

Wish I could rewind too

YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE DONE IT!!!  YOU'LL GET BANNED!!!
I personally think it has it's niche in the market.
Everyone, look at Tyll's Crossfade Wireless review for a good idea of what the V-Moda headphones can do compared to other cans in the long run.

Feb 2, 2016 at 11:22 PM Post #22,367 of 23,366

It's not gonna help my classified, but I absolutely hate the M-100 :/

Wish I could rewind too

Interesting. I see that you switched to the XL pads. Fwiw, I tried them also but greatly prefer the SQ with the stock pads. And by doing the "paper towel mod", I managed to get the stock pads to be quite comfortable as well.

Anyway, good luck with your quest.

Feb 2, 2016 at 11:30 PM Post #22,368 of 23,366
The bass was less sloppy and not as muddy as I expected it to be. It bleeds a whole lot into the mids, but I could live with that. I could live with the recessed mids due to the overpowering bass, but I absolutely hated the M-100 because of the weird-ass peaks in the otherwise recessed as **** treble. It just sounds so unnatural, veiled, yet peaky at the same time.

Feb 2, 2016 at 11:42 PM Post #22,369 of 23,366
  The bass was less sloppy and not as muddy as I expected it to be. It bleeds a whole lot into the mids, but I could live with that. I could live with the recessed mids due to the overpowering bass, but I absolutely hated the M-100 because of the weird-ass peaks in the otherwise recessed as **** treble. It just sounds so unnatural, veiled, yet peaky at the same time.

Referring to your "What!!!" notation.. Lol! Luckily I haven't found the treble to be bothersome and I love the M100's, so lucky me :)

Feb 3, 2016 at 12:13 AM Post #22,370 of 23,366
The M100 like my Z7 is definitely not for everyone (actually no headphone really is). If someone really likes the PM3 then the M100 is pretty much the opposite of that. Like Wayne I really enjoy the M100 sound so am quite happy. I also am using the larger pads and can live with the slight difference in sound for the added comfort.

Feb 3, 2016 at 1:49 PM Post #22,371 of 23,366
  YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE DONE IT!!!  YOU'LL GET BANNED!!!
I personally think it has it's niche in the market.
Everyone, look at Tyll's Crossfade Wireless review for a good idea of what the V-Moda headphones can do compared to other cans in the long run.

For me, seriously it wasn't sonic wise but comfort wise.

I LOVE the sound so dearly, but the comfort is unbearable most of the time, even with that XL Pads. 

Feb 3, 2016 at 4:10 PM Post #22,372 of 23,366
Okay lads, so what's the conclusion on these after almost 1500(!) pages?
Majority of the reviews I quickly found on those were quit a bit negative... head-fi included... So ehm... One could ask, If they aren't good and are expensive, why so much hype about em cans?

PS. FR above 1khz and especially above 3khz looks super messy.

Feb 3, 2016 at 4:30 PM Post #22,373 of 23,366
They are just more fun
beyersmile.png

Feb 3, 2016 at 4:39 PM Post #22,374 of 23,366
Maybe, but can't you get the same amount of fun for much less $? :)
CAL! 2, HTF600 (IKR), ATH-M50/s, HFI-580, UE6000 , heck even the Solo2s probably cost less and are admittedly nice sounding (unlike much of the rest of Beats lineup).

Feb 3, 2016 at 5:12 PM Post #22,375 of 23,366

Luckily I haven't found the treble to be bothersome and I love the M100's, so lucky me :)

The sound signature design of the M-100 was crowdsourced, so apparently, most people prefer the type of treble that the M-100 puts out. Me too!

Majority of the reviews I quickly found on those were quit a bit negative... head-fi included...

Not on Amazon, where normal people review them. 4.6 out of 5 stars ain't bad.

Feb 3, 2016 at 8:07 PM Post #22,377 of 23,366
  The M100 like my Z7 is definitely not for everyone (actually no headphone really is). If someone really likes the PM3 then the M100 is pretty much the opposite of that. Like Wayne I really enjoy the M100 sound so am quite happy. I also am using the larger pads and can live with the slight difference in sound for the added comfort.

did you feel the need to reform the headband?  even with the xl pads? with the original pads I felt a bit more pressure on the front (in front of my ears > back)

I would like to have a swivel system like the m50x (that would be the icing on the cake for me )

or they can pre-curve the headband like the solo2s (but those already have a swiveling earcups already soo I don't think it matters TOO too much

Feb 3, 2016 at 8:08 PM Post #22,378 of 23,366
My m100 has the micro bolTs missing and so came off hinges.
They are like 2.5yrs old.
I don't want to return and pay $150 just because the tiny bolts came off.
:frowning2:

Edit:
OK I just checked and found some good news..

:)

UPDATE:
I sent my unit in and explained about the tiny nuts gone.

After two weeks, I still Didn't hear a thing and thought they forgot about me...

Then a box comes in says vmoda!

It was my same exact unit fully repaired, with a new Headband as well !!

Excellent lifetime warranty!
I only paid shipping one way$

Also, as it stands, I have owned so so many popular portables (check my sig)
Yet these cans REMAIN a permanent addition.

Why?
Because it's not about any single trait..
The bottom line is musicality, and having a signature that you can enjoy...
Very few cans can hit that sweet spot without being MODDED...
This is one of them..

Of the portables, there are so many that come and go, but this one is a keeper..
Edit: it has the most obvious skewed from neutral signature,
Yet I like the colorful flair of sound.

It is not my everyday can, but
If your looking for an ultimate portable,
That's really up to your tastes, but what it is , is very appealing.
:wink:

Feb 3, 2016 at 8:46 PM Post #22,379 of 23,366
Had a chance to relisten to them. Comfort is amazing (but not as good as Bose or Beats). Vocals handled much better than the B&W P5 s2 or P7. Portability beats both as well. Not as balanced as the B&W but overall, I was not offended by their sound signature at all. I would not be opposed to owning a pair at some point (I own the XS now).

Feb 3, 2016 at 8:52 PM Post #22,380 of 23,366
  My middle-school-age son did his own research and chose the VMODA m 100s as his main Christmas present.

Exactly 30 days after Christmas, the right side stopped working.

He only wears them in his room. He stores them in the case when he is not using them. He does not drag them to school or keep them in his backpack like so many kids do with their Beats. My son wanted to be different and smart and choose something better than Beats, which of course is what all the kids have at this age. Oh well.

I am so aggravated and he is so disappointed. I will be returning the m 100s. I guess I should have gotten him Beats after all.

Just wanted to vent. Thanks for providing a thread for venting.

Just wanted to check one thing, did you make sure they are plugged in all the way? They do need a bit of effort and did you check both sides as the cord can plug into either side. Just wanted to make sure you checked all variables before sending back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back