V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Dec 17, 2015 at 1:26 AM Post #22,186 of 23,366
I need to do an actual A/B test between the 100AAP and the M100 in regards to isolation, hopefully tomorrow sometime. I do know I am enjoying the M100 more than the 100AAP and to be honest it's more than just the bass. I actually prefer the midrange and treble more. It's a bit warmer sounding than the 100AAP but also has better dynamics, sound stage, and treble definition. The only way someone will prefer the 100AAP more is if they can't handle more bass or need a flatter signature.

Dec 17, 2015 at 2:01 AM Post #22,187 of 23,366
A small comparison between the Z7 in balanced mode versus M100 normal mode using my Pono. Listening to Hans Zimmer Gladiator Symphonic Suite by the Prague Philharmonic Orchestra.

The bass of the Z7 is slightly less heavy but is more detailed and able to produce kettle drums a bit better than the M100. The Z5 has a larger sound stage. The M100 is closer to the stage and more engaging though. I like both but when you consider the cost difference and the need to use a balanced source to get the most out of the Z7 is easy to say which is the better bargain. But this only one genre so I will not pass judgement yet :).

Dec 20, 2015 at 4:00 AM Post #22,191 of 23,366
Received my M100 and the packaging is boss. Fantastic box, plenty of accessories and they just look so spiffy. Already received a compliment on the train station today, the first ever on any headphone I've ever had.

Dec 21, 2015 at 3:49 AM Post #22,192 of 23,366
I've proudly played out Taylor Swift's 1989 CD in my CTS several times over, but every time I listen to it on the M-100 it's like completely rediscovering the album. Say what you will about Taylor, but all of her albums have some of the best production/instrumentation I have ever heard on proper equipment.

Dec 21, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #22,193 of 23,366
Just got the Phantom Chrome's. First impressions:

- impressive box. It's the first time I felt like taking my time opening it up

- when in the clamshell, fairly heavy/substantial

- very nice looking and seem very well built

First listening impressions about 1/2 hour into Steven Wilson's "The Raven That Refused To Sing" album:

- more comfortable with stock pads than I thought they would be. We'll see how I feel in an hour or two. I think that the pads might end up heating up quite a bit. We'll see.

- really enjoyable sound signature. Nothing offensive at all. Bass is very nicely presented. Not hearing much (if any) mid-bass bloat. Highs are nice and detailed but non-offensive or fatiuging. Mids are a bit further back, but still very nice. So far I'm really digging them.

We'll see if they pass the "gym isolation test" later!

Dec 21, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #22,194 of 23,366

We'll see if they pass the "gym isolation test" later!

They isolate better than the 100aap's (I think - I haven't directly compared), but not as well as the amperiors. However the gym wasn't playing loud music like they normally do, so I guess I have to go back for another workout lol. But today once I got the music going, the m100's isolated well enough to drown out the voices and clanking. So that's good.

They continued to be just fine comfort-wise after a few hours (it's nice to know I can get the XL's for even more comfort). More comfortable than the amperiors (on ears). And they didn't get as hot as I thought they were going to get. So that's good too.

They don't look as dorky as the amperiors (which stick out more). In fact, they look really nice - almost too nice (with the chrome) for the gym. It's a good thing there's a lot of mirrors there so that I can admire the m100's lol.

Oh, and they sound great.

Edit: I could feel the top of my left ear touching the driver a bit, so I did the paper towel mod. Yup, that fixes that. I read somewhere that the soundstage is increased with the mod, and I'd have to agree. 

Dec 21, 2015 at 9:28 PM Post #22,195 of 23,366

They isolate better than the 100aap's (I think - I haven't directly compared), but not as well as the amperiors. However the gym wasn't playing loud music like they normally do, so I guess I have to go back for another workout lol. But today once I got the music going, the m100's isolated well enough to drown out the voices and clanking. So that's good.

They continued to be just fine comfort-wise after a few hours (it's nice to know I can get the XL's for even more comfort). More comfortable than the amperiors (on ears). And they didn't get as hot as I thought they were going to get. So that's good too.

They don't look as dorky as the amperiors (which stick out more). In fact, they look really nice - almost too nice (with the chrome) for the gym. It's a good thing there's a lot of mirrors there so that I can admire the m100's lol.

Oh, and they sound great.

Edit: I could feel the top of my left ear touching the driver a bit, so I did the paper towel mod. Yup, that fixes that. I read somewhere that the soundstage is increased with the mod, and I'd have to agree. 

same thing for me with the top of my left ear touching the driver

but for me anyway they heated up quite quickly when I had em (wasn't working out with them though) it was a typical spring day in Toronto (if that means anything)

they certainly are a looker! a bit too nice to work out in, imo (Id be afraid to drop them when I'm making goofy faces while I'm working out)

Dec 21, 2015 at 9:51 PM Post #22,196 of 23,366
Top back of my left ear as well. Gonna see how the XL pads work out. Loving the sound. I was hoping they would a bit of a portable Z7 and they deliver on that front quite admirably and then some. They are not the same but the differences work very well for portable use. I have not had time to do some more A/B comparisons but I will do more when I have time.

Dec 21, 2015 at 10:05 PM Post #22,197 of 23,366

same thing for me with the top of my left ear touching the driver

but for me anyway they heated up quite quickly when I had em (wasn't working out with them though) it was a typical spring day in Toronto (if that means anything)

they certainly are a looker! a bit too nice to work out in, imo (Id be afraid to drop them when I'm making goofy faces while I'm working out)

The "left ear touching" problem went away with the paper towel mods, and I've been listening to them for more hours straight without any discomfort.

The pads do heat up a bit, but only as I heat up. So I just choose to be cool. Are you cool? :)

I'm not too worried about dropping them, as they fit quite snug on the head. But I am afraid that I make goofy faces lol.

Anyway, I am becoming more and more seduced by their sound - I'm really enjoying them.

Top back of my left ear as well. Gonna see how the XL pads work out. Loving the sound. I was hoping they would a bit of a portable Z7 and they deliver on that front quite admirably and then some. They are not the same but the differences work very well for portable use. I have not had time to do some more A/B comparisons but I will do more when I have time.

Interesting about the left ear syndrome. I figured I just had a freak left ear, but I guess not.

Just like you though dweaver, I am really digging the sound. Well done v-moda!

Dec 21, 2015 at 10:10 PM Post #22,198 of 23,366
I've proudly played out Taylor Swift's 1989 CD in my CTS several times over, but every time I listen to it on the M-100 it's like completely rediscovering the album. Say what you will about Taylor, but all of her albums have some of the best production/instrumentation I have ever heard on proper equipment.

If you think that production quality is good, listen to some Pink Floyd.

Dec 21, 2015 at 10:51 PM Post #22,199 of 23,366
Dec 22, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #22,200 of 23,366
Floyd sounds awesome as does Lorena McKennitt (yup after the first day she started to sound awesome), Diana Krall, Patricia Barber, Fleetwood Mac...

Ok I just like em :wink: LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back