V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Dec 3, 2015 at 3:13 PM Post #22,112 of 23,366
Hello everyone,

Long time lurker, new member! My repertoire is no where near some of you others on these forums, but I do enjoy good quality headphones.

I had a question in regards to the XL pads. I received them from Amazon recently and I'm not sure if they're actually 'significantly' better than the stock pads, but I'm beginning to worry that perhaps the pads I received were preivously used because of two things:

When I first took them out of the plastic, they look like had wrinkly/cracks and white spots on the edge that touches your head, are they all like this? Second, it appears that the foam was squished inwards protruding (a fractional amount) into where the diaphragm is - is this normal?

Would love to get your feedback on this. Thanks.

Pictures for reference of what I'm talking about:

http://imgur.com/dxdGR22
http://imgur.com/hmGtPGJ

Dec 3, 2015 at 4:58 PM Post #22,113 of 23,366

Our cables and "SIX STAR SERVICE" our king.  We'll do anything to keep you a customer for life.

Val, I already sent my M100s in for repair once for cracked wing plates.
The"repaired" pair:

Mind you, this was the repaired set out of the box. I'm sending them back for repair again, but PLEASE PLEASE listen to you fans. The plastic used for the wing plates is too brittle and this is what leads to the cracking. A softer plastic, slightly thicker plastic, or ideally a metal (aluminum or steel would work perfect here) would solve this issue. I absolutely LOVE how the M100s sound, but the cracked wingplates are kind of a deal breaker. If the crossfade wireless didn't also have plastic wingplates I would have bought a pair by now. If the M100s didn't have plastic wingplates I would have bought another pair over black friday/cyber monday. Oddly enough, my original crossfade LPs and LP2s don't have this issue. Please fix this Val.

Dec 3, 2015 at 11:14 PM Post #22,114 of 23,366
Can vouch. The wing plates on both sides on mine are shot. Friend tried to repair them, no go. The little plastic sheaths where the screws hold everything together just broke away at some point. 

Dec 3, 2015 at 11:15 PM Post #22,115 of 23,366
On an unrelated note,

How does a Schiit Modi2/Magni2 Uber stack sound with the M-100s? I heard that the Schiit stack is slightly bright and best paired with neutral-warm headphones, and I fear that it might not sound as good with the M-100's V-shaped sound.

Kinda new and looking to get a new dac/amp to compliment my headphones!

Dec 4, 2015 at 6:36 PM Post #22,118 of 23,366
  Val, I already sent my M100s in for repair once for cracked wing plates.
The"repaired" pair:

Mind you, this was the repaired set out of the box. I'm sending them back for repair again, but PLEASE PLEASE listen to you fans. The plastic used for the wing plates is too brittle and this is what leads to the cracking. A softer plastic, slightly thicker plastic, or ideally a metal (aluminum or steel would work perfect here) would solve this issue. I absolutely LOVE how the M100s sound, but the cracked wingplates are kind of a deal breaker. If the crossfade wireless didn't also have plastic wingplates I would have bought a pair by now. If the M100s didn't have plastic wingplates I would have bought another pair over black friday/cyber monday. Oddly enough, my original crossfade LPs and LP2s don't have this issue. Please fix this Val.

It seems you had one of a few isolated instances of over torquing the screws.  We will fix, don't worry!  We implement very calibrated screwdrivers and train the employees to be "master screwers".  First production runs will always have a little few minor issues than 2nd, but so far we have seen <1% defect. In fact, knock on wood, less than expected for wireless in the marketplace.

We will continue to improve always, so send them back we'll do a CAR and make sure it doesn't happen. We'll overnight a new one. 

In a future high-end we are considering magnesium all around... but it costs a lot!

PS - 40% of top 100 DJs now use V-MODA, so we make them durable as possible... they don't have many issues after years of use...3-5 years many times and they are still like working like a charm...

Cheers,

V

Dec 4, 2015 at 9:48 PM Post #22,119 of 23,366
  It seems you had one of a few isolated instances of over torquing the screws.  We will fix, don't worry!  We implement very calibrated screwdrivers and train the employees to be "master screwers".  First production runs will always have a little few minor issues than 2nd, but so far we have seen <1% defect. In fact, knock on wood, less than expected for wireless in the marketplace.

We will continue to improve always, so send them back we'll do a CAR and make sure it doesn't happen. We'll overnight a new one. 

In a future high-end we are considering magnesium all around... but it costs a lot!

PS - 40% of top 100 DJs now use V-MODA, so we make them durable as possible... they don't have many issues after years of use...3-5 years many times and they are still like working like a charm...

Cheers,

V

Thanks for the reply Val; Richard already shipped out a new pair yesterday. They'll arrive monday. :)
That's good news about the wireless; I'll wait a couple more months and then jump on a pair if there's no issues.

Re: magnesium; DO IT. WE WILL PAY FOR IT.
To put it into perspective; I boght my M100s when they were still $310. They're $40 cheaper now but I don't feel as if I got ripped off.
Like I said a few times before (and in emails to support) , the cracked wingplates are the only issue I've had with the M100s. That's being taken care of, so I can get back to enjoying them.
A full magnesium set? I'd preorder two.

Dec 5, 2015 at 4:27 AM Post #22,120 of 23,366
I don't mind paying for quality (the M-100 are one of the few products I saw discounted on Black Friday and had absolutely no regret that I had bought it earlier this year regardless). Just make the best headphones you can and price them accordingly. Just hopefully not anywhere close to Audeze pricing territory 
wink_face.gif

Dec 6, 2015 at 12:34 AM Post #22,123 of 23,366
They cracking wingplate issue has prevented me from purchasing the m100.

Sorry you feel that way. After 2 years usage almost every day - ZERO wing plate cracks and just a few scratches on the leather headband.

Dec 6, 2015 at 12:47 AM Post #22,124 of 23,366
For you, yes. But with my luck, I would wind up with one that has this cracking issue. That combined with my ocd of having things perfect as can be, is not something I want to risk spending good money on.

Dec 6, 2015 at 1:24 AM Post #22,125 of 23,366
valkolton said:

To add to what I said earlier; if the future high-end isn't an M100 replacement, you could add magnesium wing plates to future produced M100s, raise the price by $30 or so and they would still be a steal at $300.

It may be a small percentage of occurrences, but I do worry about the future. My 2 year warranty is up feburary 2016. If the issue creeps up again after that, my only choice would be to utilize the immortal life program and still have to spend $135 for a new set of M100s. Not terrible, but not enticing to fix what should be considered a factory defect.

I don't mean for this to come off as derogatory; I love my M100s. But hopefully there's an outcome everyone is satisfied with.
DT770 80 ohm and possibly oppo PM3 on order as I DO NOT want to be without a good set of headphones should another issue occur.

Sorry you feel that way. After 2 years usage almost every day - ZERO wing plate cracks and just a few scratches on the leather headband.

What color are yours?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back