V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Jul 25, 2014 at 7:34 AM Post #20,881 of 23,366
After lurking and getting the M-80 last year, I used some wedding money for the M-100's, and this phone is it. God, it's perfect for my sound preference. I love it. I'm glad it was exactly what I wanted, because I really like the M-80's, and was hoping the M-100's were different enough to justify $300, lol. I'm listening to spotify on a Michael Jackson station, and "Don't Stop Till You Get Enough" is SICK with these. Hearing the drumheads ring out one the floor toms is incredible. I'm not even usually a big MJ listener, being a mostly metal/rock fan, but I'm digging this.

Yeah, here's Billie Jean...awesome. I might be listening to more MJ. This production is great.

Anyway, picked up some white ones from Amazon, and will probably order shields at some point. Like the idea of getting black and red shields with a Harley Quinn set of diamonds and wearing them as different colors. Or flat black with assassins creed black flag logo. I also picked the white ones because of whoever had the gold Zelda shields. Those gold shields were sweet. Also want to get some orange ones. Lol. And maybe purple. Dammit.

Jul 25, 2014 at 6:21 PM Post #20,882 of 23,366
Glad you're enjoying them.

Kinda ironic that both you & myself find Billie Jean so satisfying on the M's. I also own the AKG Q701 - with marketing input from Quincy Jones (producer on Billie Jean) - and trust me, the Q's don't come close.

Jul 26, 2014 at 12:03 AM Post #20,883 of 23,366
I am in a situation where I can purchase the vmoda m100 or sony mdr 1r for a relatively cheap price. Are there any headfiers here who have had extensive experience with both? I tend to prefer a nice, lush, thick, and warm mid range, with a good punchy bass that is present (Did not like the bass presentation of akg k550), and non sibilant treble. I listen to mainly to blues/rock, indie/folk , female vocalists, motown blues, and of course the Beatles haha. I was wondering which headphone would better suit the genres I listen to and my headphone preference. Thanks in advance!

Jul 26, 2014 at 1:10 AM Post #20,884 of 23,366
Good to hear that Billie Jean holds up better than the hearing of the original producer. Lol.

I tend to prefer a nice, lush, thick, and warm mid range, with a good punchy bass that is present

Yeah, the mid range is not the m-100's strongest point on a flat EQ, out of the box. The paper towel mod supposedly helps the mids quite a bit, but the M-80's would probably be more to your liking. Of course, I am also a much bigger fan of the 100's, and a rock/metal fan, so take that for what it's worth. I

Jul 26, 2014 at 4:06 AM Post #20,886 of 23,366
I am in a situation where I can purchase the vmoda m100 or sony mdr 1r for a relatively cheap price. Are there any headfiers here who have had extensive experience with both? I tend to prefer a nice, lush, thick, and warm mid range, with a good punchy bass that is present (Did not like the bass presentation of akg k550), and non sibilant treble. I listen to mainly to blues/rock, indie/folk , female vocalists, motown blues, and of course the Beatles haha. I was wondering which headphone would better suit the genres I listen to and my headphone preference. Thanks in advance!

I have both headphones and find the M100's a little recessed in the mids but they have a powerful bass. I use these when playing my EDM music.

My MDR1RMK2 have a great alll round sound and I think they would suit your music preference better.

I have tested the 1R and the 1RMK2 and the MK2 has better bass, it's solid with sub bass plus the fact that they are the most comfortable headphones that I have put on my head.

Have a look at my post in the MDR1RMK2 thread.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/680410/sony-mdr-1r-series-mk2/270

Jul 26, 2014 at 4:16 AM Post #20,887 of 23,366
About 700 pages ago or so, a poster that did the paper towel mod said it makes the M-100 sound like an M-80 with a much wider soundstage, richer bass and a much smoother and warmer mid range. I'm curious to try it, but like the way they sound right know a lot more than I expected. I'm sure I'll try it eventually. Lol.

The Sony does sound like more of what you're looking for, so putting my own bias aside, I would say that getting the Sony's first would be the wisest choice. If you dislike them, you can always return them and try the Moda's.

Jul 26, 2014 at 4:34 AM Post #20,888 of 23,366
Thanks guys for the response! I will go for the sony mdr 1r mk2 as they are cheaper and seem to cater toward my sound preference. The comment about the 1r mk2 having more subbass is reassuring haha. The Vmoda m100 will definitely be next on the list if I end up not liking them!

Jul 27, 2014 at 4:51 AM Post #20,889 of 23,366
Help needed!

Where and how to get XL pads here in the Philippines that would not require international shipping?

Our customs is notorious whwn it comes to messed up import tax. It would seem like id be buying 1 set for the price of two with the import tax.

Jul 27, 2014 at 5:02 AM Post #20,890 of 23,366
Thanks guys for the response! I will go for the sony mdr 1r mk2 as they are cheaper and seem to cater toward my sound preference. The comment about the 1r mk2 having more subbass is reassuring haha. The Vmoda m100 will definitely be next on the list if I end up not liking them!

I am sure you will be pleased with your choice, when you have had a good listen to them let us know what you views are.

I have found that mine needed about 40 hours burn-in then the over all sound and the bass was much better.

Jul 27, 2014 at 6:15 AM Post #20,891 of 23,366

You will be following the same path as me. First got the 1r cus it was cheaper and now I have the m100 too. I recommend owning both as I found that they complement each other very well making up for each others flaws

Jul 27, 2014 at 6:23 AM Post #20,892 of 23,366
You will be following the same path as me. First got the 1r cus it was cheaper and now I have the m100 too. I recommend owning both as I found that they complement each other very well making up for each others flaws

I agree :)

Jul 27, 2014 at 8:46 AM Post #20,893 of 23,366
Help needed!

Where and how to get XL pads here in the Philippines that would not require international shipping?

Our customs is notorious whwn it comes to messed up import tax. It would seem like id be buying 1 set for the price of two with the import tax.

Ask one of your relatives or friends in the USA to buy one pair and stick it in a balikbayan box with other goodies and send it to you.

Jul 27, 2014 at 12:30 PM Post #20,894 of 23,366
Just a heads up. Shadow and White M-100s are going for $279.99 on Amazon today.

Jul 27, 2014 at 12:51 PM Post #20,895 of 23,366
Just a heads up. Shadow and White M-100s are going for $279.99 on Amazon today.

I was lucky with Amazon UK as the Shadow and Black was £250 and the white £180, so I purchased the white and 1 minute later it went up to £250.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back