V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Mar 21, 2014 at 4:47 PM Post #19,501 of 23,366
I have no experience with the AT's but you'd have to seriously abuse the EQ to give the M-100's an "overly bright" treble.

Am I the only one who gets pissed off with Apple's 'bass reducer'? I mean, it's only a bass reducer because the bass is artificially enhanced in the first place, right? Whatever happened to 'flat'?

Grrr I'm old.

Mar 21, 2014 at 5:48 PM Post #19,502 of 23,366
Am I the only one who gets pissed off with Apple's 'bass reducer'? I mean, it's only a bass reducer because the bass is artificially enhanced in the first place, right? Whatever happened to 'flat'?

I honestly don't understand your frustration; the output of modern iProducts is basically flat. The bass reducer setting isn't meant to correct for a colored output stage of the iPhone/iPod itself, but -- in the vein of other equalization options -- to adjust for too-bass-heavy music and/or too-bass-heavy headphones. Doesn't the iPhone also have a 'bass booster' EQ setting for those whose music/headphones skew the other way?

Mar 21, 2014 at 6:19 PM Post #19,503 of 23,366
Hmm.Did the Microsoft store at Yorkdale have the V Mods M100 in stock? Because you could of bought them and tested them in the mall and if you didn't like them you could of returned them right away.I'm sure there would be no problem with that.

ahh interesting pretty snake lol at least in now in canada lol

in canada in stores like futureshop, best buy, and canada computers u can't return opened headphones anymore

canada computers allows a returning opened headphones but with a 5% restocking fee soo i lose =(

however i'm considering it =) haha 

Mar 21, 2014 at 6:47 PM Post #19,504 of 23,366

The iPhones default is EQ off / flat...

Mar 21, 2014 at 8:21 PM Post #19,507 of 23,366
I honestly don't understand your frustration; the output of modern iProducts is basically flat. The bass reducer setting isn't meant to correct for a colored output stage of the iPhone/iPod itself, but -- in the vein of other equalization options -- to adjust for too-bass-heavy music and/or too-bass-heavy headphones. Doesn't the iPhone also have a 'bass booster' EQ setting for those whose music/headphones skew the other way?

The iPhones default is EQ off / flat...

+1, the iPhone as a source is actually colder compared to other sources sources... 

I only formed that opinion when I let my friend listen to my M-100's from my combo. He didn't like my music (Rammstein I think it was) so he plugged into his phone to compare. I don't use an iPhone. He basically handed me back my own cans with a "wow" expression, I had a listen and nearly threw up. I went into his settings and found bass reducer and all was well. It's funny because in the mobile creche he laughingly refers to as his car he has the thinnest, nastiest sounding stereo on earth and he thinks that sounds fantastic too. Perhaps he's deaf.

Joe Consumer doesn't want neutral/flat. He wants exactly what his friends and peers have but in a color that none of them have so he can pretend to be unique.

^ this ^

Mar 21, 2014 at 11:06 PM Post #19,508 of 23,366
I only formed that opinion when I let my friend listen to my M-100's from my combo. He didn't like my music (Rammstein I think it was) so he plugged into his phone to compare. I don't use an iPhone. He basically handed me back my own cans with a "wow" expression, I had a listen and nearly threw up. I went into his settings and found bass reducer and all was well. It's funny because in the mobile creche he laughingly refers to as his car he has the thinnest, nastiest sounding stereo on earth and he thinks that sounds fantastic too. Perhaps he's deaf.
^ this ^

Actually, Harman already showed that audiophiles don't want ruler flat sound either...  The preferred sound is apparently a 5 dB bass bump and a 5 dB treble attenuation... 

Mar 21, 2014 at 11:19 PM Post #19,509 of 23,366
Joe Consumer doesn't want neutral/flat. He wants exactly what his friends and peers have but in a color that none of them have so he can pretend to be unique.

Oh stop. That's so ridiculously elitist and snobby it's angering. Joe Consumer wants something that sounds great. They think that Beats and Monster are the top brands because that's the "high end" that they run into in big box stores. If Best Buy was selling top-end Sennheiser and what have you they'd buy that. 

This is pure audiophile snobbery and it needs to stop. No one drops $300 on headphones unless they're under the impression those are the best they can get for the price. 

Mar 21, 2014 at 11:28 PM Post #19,510 of 23,366

Oh stop. That's so ridiculously elitist and snobby it's angering. Joe Consumer wants something that sounds great. They think that Beats and Monster are the top brands because that's the "high end" that they run into in big box stores. If Best Buy was selling top-end Sennheiser and what have you they'd buy that. 

This is pure audiophile snobbery and it needs to stop. No one drops $300 on headphones unless they're under the impression those are the best they can get for the price. 

If the best headphones you have found at Best Buy are Beats, you're shopping at the wrong Best Buy.  You should look for a Magnolia...  :)  

Sorry, shameless plug.  FWIW, you can also buy V-MODA on BestBuy.com.  

Mar 21, 2014 at 11:28 PM Post #19,511 of 23,366

Joe Consumer needs to do some research then. If only we had something like, em, the internet?

Mar 21, 2014 at 11:42 PM Post #19,512 of 23,366
Joe Consumer needs to do some research then. If only we had something like, em, the internet?

And honestly, how many of your belongings have you spent hours and hours researching? Did your every article of clothing come paired with joining message boards? How about your TV? Your car? Your phone? Laptop? Before every single purchase of your life did you dive into the internet and do weeks of research into every single available brand and product? I'm gonna take a wild stab and say no, you did not.

I cannot stand audiophile elitism, like somehow we're "better" than others and they just want something shiny. Ugh. It makes me ASHAMED to purchase quality audio equipment because I'm lumped in with such snobbishness. I buy my stuff because it's my hobby and it's my passion. Others don't do it because they aren't so obsessed with audio that they think it warrants the time we log on message boards and websites. That doesn't mean all they care about is something with a fancy logo and bright colors, and it infuriates me to see people get so full of themselves. 

Mar 22, 2014 at 12:04 AM Post #19,513 of 23,366
And honestly, how many of your belongings have you spent hours and hours researching? Did your every article of clothing come paired with joining message boards? How about your TV? Your car? Your phone? Laptop? Before every single purchase of your life did you dive into the internet and do weeks of research into every single available brand and product? I'm gonna take a wild stab and say no, you did not.

Honestly? Apart from clothes I'd have to say yes. I research every single purchase I make. I make minimum wage so I have to make sure, as much as possible, I'm making the correct choice.

I cannot stand audiophile elitism, like somehow we're "better" than others and they just want something shiny. Ugh. It makes me ASHAMED to purchase quality audio equipment because I'm lumped in with such snobbishness. I buy my stuff because it's my hobby and it's my passion. Others don't do it because they aren't so obsessed with audio that they think it warrants the time we log on message boards and websites. That doesn't mean all they care about is something with a fancy logo and bright colors, and it infuriates me to see people get so full of themselves. 

You seem to have mistaken me for a psychologist. I drive a van.

Mar 22, 2014 at 12:09 AM Post #19,514 of 23,366
So you're telling me that you have also racked up 800+ posts on message boards for jeans, shirts, glasses, shoes, watches, phones, cars, laptops, wallets, and televisions? Come on, dude. This is a particular interest for us here. We're not superior to others and it's complete and total BS to look down at people and  claim that "Joe Consumer" only cares about having the same thing as everyone else with his favorite colors.

It just baffles me that people can say nonsense like that and not realize how god-awful it makes this whole hobby look. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back