V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Mar 14, 2014 at 12:53 AM Post #19,231 of 23,366
There's more to the Vamp than just an amp.  

(1) It's DAC is a much better source than the iPhone headphone out, and (2) it acts as a digital dock to connect your iPhone digital output into your high-end rig via optical out.  Some people spend big bucks on a digital dock, so they don't have to power up their computer to get lossless digital music into their audio system.

I bought one for my son for Christmas, and it's very nice, although I prefer my HiFi-M8. I also use mine as a desktop replacement with balanced full-size headphones, so I don't mind the thicker size of the M8.

Mar 14, 2014 at 1:34 AM Post #19,232 of 23,366
  There's more to the Vamp than just an amp.  

(1) It's DAC is a much better source than the iPhone headphone out, and (2) it acts as a digital dock to connect your iPhone digital output into your high-end rig via optical out.  Some people spend big bucks on a digital dock, so they don't have to power up their computer to get lossless digital music into their audio system.

I bought one for my son for Christmas, and it's very nice, although I prefer my HiFi-M8. I also use mine as a desktop replacement with balanced full-size headphones, so I don't mind the thicker size of the M8.

The Vamp as a source is warmer than the iPhone 5s for sure.  I'll agree that it is actually a better DAC overall as well...  Except for one thing, output impedance :p  I use it quite a lot when I'm at home, even at times when I'm out and about :p  It's a bit bulky for me on the go though (which is why I tend to not use amps on the go anyways XD). 

Mar 14, 2014 at 1:41 AM Post #19,233 of 23,366

...you're really making me want to drive out to AC this weekend, LOL. 

You'll actually like the Vamp paired with the M-100.  There's a bass boost function on there XD  JK (but there is a bass boost function on there).  It's a warmer DAC/AMP in general, so it'll make the bass pop just a little bit more (less than the effect the pads had for me though).  It's slight, but its there (unless you turn on the bass boost, or 3D function). On second thought, I am coming from a brighter iPhone XD 

Mar 14, 2014 at 1:46 AM Post #19,234 of 23,366
You'll actually like the Vamp paired with the M-100.  There's a bass boost function on there XD  JK (but there is a bass boost function on there).  It's a warmer DAC/AMP in general, so it'll make the bass pop just a little bit more (less than the effect the pads had for me though).  It's slight, but its there (unless you turn on the bass boost, or 3D function). On second thought, I am coming from a brighter iPhone XD 

How does the verza pair with android devices? Aren't there exclusive features only for the iPhone 5/5s for the verza?

Mar 14, 2014 at 1:50 AM Post #19,235 of 23,366
How does the verza pair with android devices? Aren't there exclusive features only for the iPhone 5/5s for the verza?

If I had an Android device to test with, I'd tell you :/  I'm a broke college student, so I can only afford one phone XD 

As for the iDevice only features...  That's the bass boost, I should have double checked all this beforehand :/  The other would be the charging, you can use the Vamp as an external battery with the iDevice (it'll play while charging your device as well), but not with an Android.  No clue if the 3D mode is Android only though :/ 

Mar 14, 2014 at 1:53 AM Post #19,236 of 23,366
If I had an Android device to test with, I'd tell you :/  I'm a broke college student, so I can only afford one phone XD 

As for the iDevice only features...  That's the bass boost, I should have double checked all this beforehand :/  The other would be the charging, you can use the Vamp as an external battery with the iDevice (it'll play while charging your device as well), but not with an Android.  No clue if the 3D mode is Android only though :/ 
I feel ya I am also a broke college student.. I think im just going to settle with my fiio e18

Mar 14, 2014 at 1:54 AM Post #19,237 of 23,366

...you're really making me want to drive out to AC this weekend, LOL. 

Damn, I almost bought a VAMP. Good to know it does the same as a FiiO E12 Mont Blanc.
It shines in DAC, I guess.
To make headphones better, you need a source with an amp in it, an original source like a static amp.

The Vamp Verza sounds incredible with the M-100. SGD, if you had made the drive to AC Gears you could have demoed it. I think the best way to describe what it does is it makes the M-100 sound much "bigger." Energy, slam, clarity. It actually hurts to think about it because I can't get them to sound like that with the equipment I do have.

Whether or not it's worth $600 is another thing. I think it is, and if I had the money to blow (and a compatible phone) I would have done it upon first listen months ago. However, does it sound like $600 on top of your $300 headphones? No. You're paying for form factor, compatibility, R&D (it is a very niche product) and a bit of exclusivity. There are cheaper options that are just as capable. They just lack that V-MODA sexiness.

True.
I would say that there's no amp that looks as good as the Verza, but the E12 mont blanc looks pretty nice. I'm not sponsored by Fiio, just speaking by experience.
you're paying for a product that's one of a kind, that takes a long time to make. Really I wouldn't waste time with an expensive amp, others would.

Mar 14, 2014 at 2:09 AM Post #19,238 of 23,366
Damn, I almost bought a VAMP. Good to know it does the same as a FiiO E12 Mont Blanc.
It shines in DAC, I guess.
To make headphones better, you need a source with an amp in it, an original source like a static amp.
True.
I would say that there's no amp that looks as good as the Verza, but the E12 mont blanc looks pretty nice. I'm not sponsored by Fiio, just speaking by experience.
you're paying for a product that's one of a kind, that takes a long time to make. Really I wouldn't waste time with an expensive amp, others would.

For the most part yes, the Vamp is still just a DAC/AMP.  If you're not using an iDevice, your E12 probably does more (I think that model has a bass boost, wouldn't know though XD).  If you do have an iDevice, then we're in different territory, it acts as an external battery, bass boost, and 3D (which is cool, but recesses vocals :/). 

I do agree that the E12 looks very nice actually, a better looking DAC/AMP for sure.  It also looks thinner than the Vamp from pictures (I don't have one). 

Mar 14, 2014 at 4:40 AM Post #19,239 of 23,366
Another new member to club m-100 here, I've caved in and just made the purchase on Amazon. I wanted a portable fun headset after coming to the realization my k550's aren't that portable and are not fun when listening to my on the go music. Thanks to all the members that posted YouTube video reviews, I watched them all and subscribed to a few of you. Since B&H Photo is a little to far me I made the purchase completely based on reviews. the last few days has been spent looking at pictures trying to decide on which color. The matte black is what I ordered and they should be here tonight so I can play with them over the weekend.

Mar 14, 2014 at 6:40 AM Post #19,240 of 23,366
I'm interested in the vamp verza but is it really worth it to spend 600 dollars on them?

As much as I LOVE my Vamp Verza, I would say NO to $600.  I was lucky enough to get a brand new one from a fellow Head-Fi member for little more than half price.
Apple iPod Classic 160G → V-MODA Vamp Verza → V-MODA M-100 ​

Mar 14, 2014 at 7:35 AM Post #19,241 of 23,366
I haven't posted the listing yet, but mine is for sale if anyone is interested.

Mar 14, 2014 at 8:21 AM Post #19,242 of 23,366
The Vamp Verza is pricey, but I think it's worth it--what's been said above about additional warmth and clarity is true for me.  The M-100 definitely doesn't need help, but the Verza does improve things somewhat.  I notice a more silent, black background than when I'm using my iPhone 5 alone.  

Now, I'm sure there are other amps/DACs that will accomplish the same things for less money, but you're paying something for great design and convenience, as well.  No more rubber bands.  The Verza and the iPhone with the Metallo case is a bit heavy, and the edges are not exactly soft.  You know it's in your pocket.  I'm still waiting for someone to come out with a nice case and belt clip for the whole package.

I use this rig when I'm out walking, and the sound really makes me want to get out and put some miles on.  

Mar 14, 2014 at 8:33 AM Post #19,243 of 23,366
The Sony PHA-1 is a good alternative to the VERZA at almost half the price.

Mar 14, 2014 at 10:20 AM Post #19,244 of 23,366
With Q701's, they sound flat. Not that it was bad but I never expected M100's to outbest my Q701's in genres more than rap/hiphop/heavy metal/edm/techno for enjoyment purposes :D

I did go ahead and get the K551. It's not the same as K701/Q701 but based on reviews and descriptions elsewhere on head-fi it's awfully close modulo the Quincy Jones tuning on the Q models.

Yep, quite neutral sound signatures. They're reference monitors, all of them. They're supposed to present what's there within known parameters. As opposed to all of the non-specific descriptives like "warm" and "fun" that get thrown around. I think I mentioned this when I described my audition experience of last weekend but I pointed at the K551 and said, "that's a monitoring headphone", and then i pointed at the Viso HP50 and said, "that isn't".

Monitors aren't made for listening enjoyment. They're made for accuracy. There's no way that Q701 will sound better, as subjective "enjoyment", than M-100 out of the box with the same source. It can't. Our ears and brains don't work that way. That said, good monitors do respond well to equalization. This is one of their functions in recording studios. If you're willing to put the effort into tuning your EQ settings then you can, with practice, get a good monitor to sound like pretty much anything that you want. What you get with M-100 is a bypass of all that faffing about with equalizers. All of the accuracy, none of the effort.

Mar 14, 2014 at 10:24 AM Post #19,245 of 23,366
The Vamp Verza is pricey, but I think it's worth it--what's been said above about additional warmth and clarity is true for me.  The M-100 definitely doesn't need help, but the Verza does improve things somewhat.  I notice a more silent, black background than when I'm using my iPhone 5 alone.  

Now, I'm sure there are other amps/DACs that will accomplish the same things for less money, but you're paying something for great design and convenience, as well.  No more rubber bands.  The Verza and the iPhone with the Metallo case is a bit heavy, and the edges are not exactly soft.  You know it's in your pocket.  I'm still waiting for someone to come out with a nice case and belt clip for the whole package.

I use this rig when I'm out walking, and the sound really makes me want to get out and put some miles on.  

I like its design but it does have a limited shelf life since most people upgrade their phones from time to time leaving most of this redundant. Also, there's no need for those horrible rubber bands that just get I the way...

http://www.head-fi.org/t/628254/fiio-e18/1280_20#post_10359528

Users who are viewing this thread

Back