V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Mar 3, 2014 at 9:34 PM Post #18,946 of 23,366
Anyway, whether it's driver burn-in or brain burn-in (my favourite) they're sounding great now.

I agree completely with this. My second pair of M100's showed up about a week and a half after my first pair. Once my ears/brain got adjusted to the sound of the M100's coming from the LP2's (still great basshead cans IMHO), once I got the second pair they sounded identical to the first, no noticable burn in period. I had been listening to the first pair of M100's almost non-stop since receiving them until the second pair showed up.

Mar 3, 2014 at 10:36 PM Post #18,947 of 23,366

Ah. I'm new to OSX, just bought the MBPr on Black Friday.

But yeah, like. Right now I'm listening to Benighted - Let the Blood Spill Between My Broken Teeth on Spotify.

That's pretty loud, but far from killer. I've had this situation with all headphones I've hooked into the thing. It's never been blisteringly loud. At one notch I can barely ear anything, regardless of which set I plug in.

That is insane, if i use my m-100's on that volume on my Mackbook Air my Eardrums would be destroyed instantly lol.

Mar 3, 2014 at 10:37 PM Post #18,948 of 23,366
  I agree completely with this. My second pair of M100's showed up about a week and a half after my first pair. Once my ears/brain got adjusted to the sound of the M100's coming from the LP2's (still great basshead cans IMHO), once I got the second pair they sounded identical to the first, no noticable burn in period. I had been listening to the first pair of M100's almost non-stop since receiving them until the second pair showed up.

wow theres finally some evidence that burn in doesn't exist

i hear people saying you need to have of the same headphones to see if burn it does or doesn't exist

you proved it there! bravo! i still have some personal feelings about the effects of burn in but wow two m100s =P 

Mar 3, 2014 at 10:43 PM Post #18,949 of 23,366
Hey guys i just got my M-100's yesterday and im loving the sound sig. My only issue is the stock pads were to small for my ears so when i tried to pull the stock pads out i tore the pad away from the plastic on both cups. I tried pulling them out as per the many you tube videos and suggestions in this thread but they just tore. Ive got my XL pads getting sent out tomorrow and was wondering if anyone else had any suggestions on how to get the pads out?

Mar 3, 2014 at 11:04 PM Post #18,950 of 23,366
  Hey guys i just got my M-100's yesterday and im loving the sound sig. My only issue is the stock pads were to small for my ears so when i tried to pull the stock pads out i tore the pad away from the plastic on both cups. I tried pulling them out as per the many you tube videos and suggestions in this thread but they just tore. Ive got my XL pads getting sent out tomorrow and was wondering if anyone else had any suggestions on how to get the pads out?

You have to remember the pads are held by little clips. You can't pull straight up, it has to be toward the center of the ear cup to clear the tiny hooks. 

Mar 3, 2014 at 11:52 PM Post #18,951 of 23,366
That is insane, if i use my m-100's on that volume on my Mackbook Air my Eardrums would be destroyed instantly lol.

Wow. Interesting. Curious. How loud is too loud? On my iPhone 5 I have listened to my m100s two notches down from 100% volume. Not for long mind you. A few songs.
It's pretty damn loud. But sounds amazing. I have never been able to have cans that could drive that loud and not sound like ****. How can you NOT listen to Skirellex that loud!?
Right now it close to bed, decent volume. 6 or 7 notches form max, just checked.
So if the vmodas are what 103db output. You can stand something like 105db for 5min with no damage. Can I listen to 1 song at 100% volume?
I know that totally wrong because when hooked up to my 02 amp comfortable level on that thing are I like at 20% and Skrillex loud is still below 50% levels.
How do I know what's too loud, or harmful (if listened to for too long)?

Mar 4, 2014 at 12:06 AM Post #18,952 of 23,366

Wow. Interesting. Curious. How loud is too loud? On my iPhone 5 I have listened to my m100s two notches down from 100% volume. Not for long mind you. A few songs.
It's pretty damn loud. But sounds amazing. I have never been able to have cans that could drive that loud and not sound like ****. How can you NOT listen to Skirellex that loud!?
Right now it close to bed, decent volume. 6 or 7 notches form max, just checked.
So if the vmodas are what 103db output. You can stand something like 105db for 5min with no damage. Can I listen to 1 song at 100% volume?
I know that totally wrong because when hooked up to my 02 amp comfortable level on that thing are I like at 20% and Skrillex loud is still below 50% levels.

It is worth getting a free SPL app and playing a 1k test tone, putting your phone about where the ear would be. If the spl is 90 or above you are at levels that will damage your hearing over time. It is very worth checking OSHA safe spl guidelines to gauge how long you can safely listen at your target levels.

The general rule in a mfg plant is 8 hours exposure at 85 db. Wish I knew how it calculated out for say a two hour listening session.

Per OSHA, maximum permissible exposure limit for 2 hrs. is 100 dBA : https://www.osha.gov/dts/osta/otm/noise/standards_more.html

I use SPL meters (Rat Shack for loudspeakers & iPad app for headphones) to set volume listening range around 80- 85 dB max peaks.

Mar 4, 2014 at 12:12 AM Post #18,953 of 23,366

This is interesting. I would like to know this myself. If you wear the faders can you listen at higher levels?

Mar 4, 2014 at 12:29 AM Post #18,954 of 23,366
This is interesting. I would like to know this myself. If you wear the faders can you listen at higher levels?

i think it was stated a few (maybe 30 pages back now haha) the faders decrease the sound quality some m100 users tried to use them on airplanes and it just doesn't work. my question is why do you want to listen so loud? an then have the faders dampen it? why not just turn it down?

i don't have the m100s but even with my monoprice 8323 i don't listen to above 50% on my iphone (which is loud for me anyway) and its like 40ohms with sensitivity 100 +/- 3 dB / 1mW (S.P. L at 1 k Hz)

to each their own but as a fellow head fi i would want to preserve your hearing for many years of audio nirvana ahead

Mar 4, 2014 at 12:30 AM Post #18,955 of 23,366

I just downloaded the number one free spl meter on for iPad. 10th decibel. I turned my iPhone on max, put my driver as effing close to my iPad mic as possible. No way! It maxes out at 90db. Totally bs. I can't even begin to put these cans on my head at max volume. Instantly hurts. Two notches down from max is the most I have every been able to tolerate. It's great, but the max limit of great. No way max volume is only 90db. Are you telling me the seal of headphones adds 30 db or something.

Mar 4, 2014 at 12:45 AM Post #18,956 of 23,366
The plot twist is that I have small ears. I've tried the over ears before and they envelop my ears quite nicely.

LOL...there's pretty much no such thing as the Momentum OVER ear.  Those cups are TINY...significantly smaller than even the stock M100s.  So if that's your goal, just wait till the XLs arrive...much more roomy.

Mar 4, 2014 at 1:00 AM Post #18,957 of 23,366
New topic (for me) I have been reading head-fi today for while and something just clicked.
I think I am experiencing a frequency spike in the m100s. Have there been any common spikes.
Not in music so much, but in bf4. I play that game a good bit. I love playing that game at just a volume that's gun shots just almost hurt. That what they should be! Everything sounds fine at long time levels, then I get in a vehicle and I have to turn the volume down or put the cans around my neck until I am out of a vehicle. This never ever happened in my A40s or my crappy surround speakers. Is the engine sound in bf4 while in the vehicle cabin hitting a frequency that spikes in the m100?

If so I may not get the bt-990s I have my eye right now as they are famous for lots of terrible spikes. Everyone says X1s have smoother sound.
X1s... My wife will kill me if I spend 25o on new cans. I have 2 days to decide. I'm moving back to japan where they x1s sell for no less than 350. But can get the dt990 and hd598s for comparable prices (the akg 701s are a little more expensive but an acceptable difference between USA and jp prices of the. But X1s no way)

Mar 4, 2014 at 1:43 AM Post #18,958 of 23,366

I just downloaded the number one free spl meter on for iPad. 10th decibel. I turned my iPhone on max, put my driver as effing close to my iPad mic as possible. No way! It maxes out at 90db. Totally bs. I can't even begin to put these cans on my head at max volume. Instantly hurts. Two notches down from max is the most I have every been able to tolerate. It's great, but the max limit of great. No way max volume is only 90db. Are you telling me the seal of headphones adds 30 db or something.

You should have read the app description. XD

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/decibel-10th/id448155923?mt=8
- The built-in microphone is only sensitive from 0 to approximately 100 decibels

Mar 4, 2014 at 3:22 AM Post #18,960 of 23,366
You guys comparing how loud you can listen/tolerate seem to be missing something out. Do you all have the same hearing sensitivity to start with? Maybe some of you are deaf to start with (and others of you certainly will be before too long).

Don't take it personally - just some friendly input from a 50 year old who knows his hearing is far from optimum. I blame bass bins :grin:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back