V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Mar 3, 2014 at 11:11 AM Post #18,916 of 23,366
Hello V-MODA M-100 owners - I'm hoping you can help please.

I'm sure this has been covered in this thread, but unfortunately I do not have the time to go through 1,262 pages! I am in the market for some multi-use all rounder headphones to be used for gaming, music (varied, but mostly rock and EDM) and movies. My ideal headphones would not leak too much sound and would isolate (most) outside sound from me. I also want the headphones to be comfortable, as they will be used for long stints. 

Would these be suitable? 

Mar 3, 2014 at 11:14 AM Post #18,917 of 23,366

I'm sure this has been covered in this thread, but unfortunately I do not have the time to go through 1,262 pages! I am in the market for some multi-use all rounder headphones to be used for gaming, music (varied, but mostly rock and EDM) and movies. My ideal headphones would not leak too much sound and would isolate (most) outside sound from me. I also want the headphones to be comfortable, as they will be used for long stints. 

Would these be suitable? 

Some people say the M100's have comfort issues. The pads are kinda small, they're over-ears but they are the smallest over-ears you could possibly get. If it's a concern, you'll want the XL pads (which don't cost much). To me, these are the only pair one needs. They do it all at an A-grade. Not A+ for everything, but they're compact, isolate really well, built like tanks, sound amazing. Yes. Get 'em.

Mar 3, 2014 at 11:19 AM Post #18,918 of 23,366
The broken plastic is also chewing a hole in they ear peice.

Mar 3, 2014 at 12:53 PM Post #18,919 of 23,366
The broken plastic is also chewing a hole in they ear peice.

Those Matte Black M-100s... Seems like most of the defects are with that color. I got a pre-order M-100 3 months before the official release and had a crack in one of the wingplates OUT OF THE BOX. I contacted V-MODA and they couldn't replace my unit for 4 months because they weren't officially out yet and they had no parts. I did get my replacement eventually. Just contact them again. Their service, in my experience, is as good as everyone says.

Mar 3, 2014 at 1:04 PM Post #18,920 of 23,366

Those Matte Black M-100s... Seems like most of the defects are with that color. I got a pre-order M-100 3 months before the official release and had a crack in one of the wingplates OUT OF THE BOX. I contacted V-MODA and they couldn't replace my unit for 4 months because they weren't officially out yet and they had no parts. I did get my replacement eventually. Just contact them again. Their service, in my experience, is as good as everyone says.

Is that because the Mattes are prone to them or that they're far and away the most common? Hit up Brookstone and they'll have a stack of Matte Black. Feels like you don't see the others too often.

Mar 3, 2014 at 1:08 PM Post #18,921 of 23,366
The broken plastic is also chewing a hole in they ear peice
].

Yeah, the plastic V-MODA used for the ring surrounding the M-100 earcups and for its wingplates is stupidly fragile compared to the rest of the headphone. It sort of boggles my mind that, with all of their reputedly rigorous testing, military-grade strength boasts, and "don't listen to plastic" marketing, V-MODA still chose this particular material for its plastic components. My also-babied M-100s started to show a hairline crack in the same place, were fixed after a lengthy delay on V-MODA's part, came back with a fresh crack in one of the wingplates, were sent back again for another lengthy repair, and now have a couple new hairline cracks in the earcup ring. My best guess is that they're the result of the two earcups occasionally, gently clicking together when removing the headphones with the cups swiveled flat. Nothing that should conceivably cause damage to any decently durable plastic, but there you go...

Also, like yours, my M-100s are the Matte Black version. I wonder if it's the matte black plastic in particular that's so fragile. I know other members have discovered unexpected cracks in their M-100s -- Were any of those in the Shadow or White Pearl models?

Mar 3, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #18,922 of 23,366
Is that because the Mattes are prone to them or that they're far and away the most common? Hit up Brookstone and they'll have a stack of Matte Black. Feels like you don't see the others too often.

I wanted the black and red ones. But they were out of stock and I wanted them for my trip. But they (matte black) still look amazing. Already got some compliments on them.
I emailed the retailer where I bought them. I just don't want to have deal with this. I don't want to part with them for a moment. I don't want to have to pay shipping. Customer service tends to be pretty top notch. Just got to wait now.

Mar 3, 2014 at 1:10 PM Post #18,923 of 23,366
  So I spent some time playing around with Electri-Q and I think balancing the sound really makes the headphones sound pretty great.

Last night just by looking at the HeadRoom frequency chart I ended up with

http://puu.sh/7h4AX.png

Well, apparently I thought it sounded pretty darn good since I came back tonight to find that it sounded pretty awful; the bass was far too reduced and it was sounding pretty tinny.

Anyways, after reading some more into the tutorial, it turns out the raw frequency chart is a better representation of how the headphones are sounding so after a little bit of tweaking, I came up with

http://puu.sh/7h4Al.png

It's pretty much a bass reduced inverse version of the raw frequency chart (I cheated by saving the image and flipping it upside down
wink_face.gif
).

It sounds much better now. I'll still have to play around with it some more though.

i feel like eqing based on frequency charts is a little strange... in actuality, atleast from my experience, the actual perceived response is very different from the one on headroom (for example). i mean, just think of all the things one has to take into consideration: position on head, size and shape of the ears, size and shape of the head, volume, space (i.e the room your in), source....

frequency response charts give a general idea about the signature of the phones, but not nearly a definitive "fact".

have you tried downloading a sinewave generator and testing the headphones out for yourself? i think youll find it preferable, even if it is harder...

Mar 3, 2014 at 1:14 PM Post #18,924 of 23,366

I'm not sure. The Matte Black is probably more common on these forums since most of the Head-Fi community isn't about bling. It's hard to explain, but the M-80 had very few build issues, but they didn't come in Matte Black. I just find it curious that the two colors the M-80 does comes in, White Silver and Shadow, are the two colors I almost never see complaints about on the M-100. I'm assuming the manufacturing on the plastic for the Matte Black is done on a different assembly and there might be issues but it's pure speculation. I saw Val wearing a Matte Black, Cliqfold-hinged M-80(XS) in NYC a few months back. I guess we'll see if my color hypothesis holds true when those release.

Mar 3, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #18,925 of 23,366
Actually I have, I just have no idea how to really use it just yet. Not sure if the tutorial was through enough or if I just didn't comprehend it.

I guess I'll have to dig deep into that thread to see if someone posted info on how to use the sinewave gen in a more easy to understand fashion.

Quote:

i feel like eqing based on frequency charts is a little strange... in actuality, atleast from my experience, the actual perceived response is very different from the one on headroom (for example). i mean, just think of all the things one has to take into consideration: position on head, size and shape of the ears, size and shape of the head, volume, space (i.e the room your in), source....

frequency response charts give a general idea about the signature of the phones, but not nearly a definitive "fact".

have you tried downloading a sinewave generator and testing the headphones out for yourself? i think youll find it preferable, even if it is harder...

Mar 3, 2014 at 2:57 PM Post #18,926 of 23,366

the way i understand it, you do a "sweep", a slow one, going from bottom to top, listening carefully for changes in volume. once you perceive such a change, you sweep more thoroughly in that area and try to pinpoint the "tip" of the peak/null. once you feel you have accomplished this, you mark the frequency and try again the next day (so as to avoid expectability bias and such). after that, you try it out in different levels, in the hopes of estimating the "size" of the change. after a few days, you move to the eq to try and correct. 
i felt that treble peaks were the easiest to find, other than that it becomes alot harder, but atleast its based on your own listening experience, with your own source, and not some compensated graph from a dummy head. like i said, i feel that frequency response charts should only be a sort of guide to give you a general idea of the headphones' signature.

i actually found the equalization threads very helpful. if you want, id be glad to share what little experience i have. 

good luck

cheers

Mar 3, 2014 at 3:12 PM Post #18,927 of 23,366

Yeah, the plastic V-MODA used for the ring surrounding the M-100 earcups and for its wingplates is stupidly fragile compared to the rest of the headphone. It sort of boggles my mind that, with all of their reputedly rigorous testing, military-grade strength boasts, and "don't listen to plastic" marketing, V-MODA still chose this particular material for its plastic components. My also-babied M-100s started to show a hairline crack in the same place, were fixed after a lengthy delay on V-MODA's part, came back with a fresh crack in one of the wingplates, were sent back again for another lengthy repair, and now have a couple new hairline cracks in the earcup ring. My best guess is that they're the result of the two earcups occasionally, gently clicking together when removing the headphones with the cups swiveled flat. Nothing that should conceivably cause damage to any decently durable plastic, but there you go...

Also, like yours, my M-100s are the Matte Black version. I wonder if it's the matte black plastic in particular that's so fragile. I know other members have discovered unexpected cracks in their M-100s -- Were any of those in the Shadow or White Pearl models?

The whole "military grade" and "built like a tank" is propaganda.  I've been following this thread for over a year, have owned two M100's in that time span, and to be honest, they are good cans but not nearly as durable, comfortable, or sound as good as fanboys say.  Be your own judge.  I was and no longer own a pair.

Mar 3, 2014 at 3:32 PM Post #18,928 of 23,366

The whole "military grade" and "built like a tank" is propaganda.  I've been following this thread for over a year, have owned two M100's in that time span, and to be honest, they are good cans but not nearly as durable, comfortable, or sound as good as fanboys say.  Be your own judge.  I was and no longer own a pair.

I find it weird that people are accused of "fanboying" these. Like, for some reason, we're willing to spend $300 on flimsy, uncomfortable headphones that don't sound good for... some unexplainable reason. Is it that we think they look that good? Is it that we think VMODA is the "cool kids" brand and are just clinging to them regardless?

Maybe, and stick with me here, maybe a bunch of us tried them, fell in love with the experience, and are super enthusiastic about it because of our positive experience with the dang things. I wear mine for about 8 hours a day, or more. If they were really uncomfortable, I sure wouldn't be doing that, LOL. 

Mar 3, 2014 at 3:41 PM Post #18,929 of 23,366

Would these be suitable? 

You'll most likely need the XL Pads as mentioned before, but obviously trying them without them is advisable so you don't have to spend another 20 bucks.  For me, these headphones are the perfect all-arounders.  I use them for gaming and music and they are perfect  for that.  Pick up the Boom Mic Pro to go along with them and they make a great gaming/skype headset.

That said, they aren't the most isolated, nor do they leak the least (they are vented afterall)...they are simple a middle of the road closed headphone in that regard.  So if you're okay with that, then they are fantastic.

Mar 3, 2014 at 3:50 PM Post #18,930 of 23,366

Not really, I got a pair of shadows and I got exactly the same thing happened to me, cracked around the same place, but I was changing to XL pad, while my matte black was ok when I changed to XL pad. I pretty much just glued the cracked pieces back on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back