V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Mar 3, 2014 at 3:54 PM Post #18,931 of 23,366
The whole "military grade" and "built like a tank" is propaganda.  I've been following this thread for over a year, have owned two M100's in that time span, and to be honest, they are good cans but not nearly as durable, comfortable, or sound as good as fanboys say.  Be your own judge.  I was and no longer own a pair.

I totally agree but the headphone does feel durable in hand. It is just not as scratch resistance compare to HD25. If you drop it, you are definitely gonna break it somewhere. Compare to my M500, yes, the M100 is more durable, but compare to my DT1350...pretty much the same...

Mar 3, 2014 at 4:16 PM Post #18,932 of 23,366
You'll most likely need the XL Pads as mentioned before, but obviously trying them without them is advisable so you don't have to spend another 20 bucks.  For me, these headphones are the perfect all-arounders.  I use them for gaming and music and they are perfect  for that.  Pick up the Boom Mic Pro to go along with them and they make a great gaming/skype headset.

That said, they aren't the most isolated, nor do they leak the least (they are vented afterall)...they are simple a middle of the road closed headphone in that regard.  So if you're okay with that, then they are fantastic.

They do sound like pretty much what I am after. I know there is no such thing as 'perfect' headphones, so I'm happy to sacrifice perfect isolation and perfect non-leakage!

Have you used them for watching films? If so, how were they? Were they ok for speaking parts?

Mar 3, 2014 at 4:16 PM Post #18,933 of 23,366
I totally agree but the headphone does feel durable in hand. It is just not as scratch resistance compare to HD25. If you drop it, you are definitely gonna break it somewhere. Compare to my M500, yes, the M100 is more durable, but compare to my DT1350...pretty much the same...

Anything will break if you apply sufficient force.

Mar 3, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #18,935 of 23,366
Anything will break if you apply sufficient force.
yeah of course. But gently setting them down all the time. And always keeping them in the case when transporting or not using them is not equal to the force of 17 drops from six feet which is the supposed "force" they have been subjected and not broken. What is they they say. "Double the Industry standard of drops".

Man! You know what it is!? A couple of days ago I tossed them about 3 feet to my soft down comforter on my bed. That must of been the tremendous force that caused a hard to reach non-impacted chunk of plastic to shear off.

Of course they will break with wear and tear. But being sold as durable portable headphones, taken them out of the box should not be the force that breaks them.

Mar 3, 2014 at 6:01 PM Post #18,936 of 23,366
It could have been a lot of things; temperature variation, batch of bad plastic, etc.
Bottom line is it should be covered by warranty, which it most likely will, but the best warranty is the one you never have to use.

I do think the plastic used in v-moda's headphones could use a bit of refining.

Mar 3, 2014 at 6:21 PM Post #18,937 of 23,366

The whole "military grade" and "built like a tank" is propaganda.  I've been following this thread for over a year, have owned two M100's in that time span, and to be honest, they are good cans but not nearly as durable, comfortable, or sound as good as fanboys say.  Be your own judge.  I was and no longer own a pair.

Nope. I dropped mine twice, all that happened was the ear cup popped out of the clamps. They're rated for like 70 drops from 6'. That crack on the poster's is an anomaly.

Mar 3, 2014 at 6:33 PM Post #18,938 of 23,366
Well I've had my Matt M-100's for about three weeks now and I love them. When I first tried them out of the box I wasn't too impressed if I'm honest. But my health's not been good lately (off work with a slipped disk) and they didn't arrive on a good day, lol. Anyway, whether it's driver burn-in or brain burn-in (my favourite) they're sounding great now. I've EQ'ed the bass down just a tad and lifted the lower-mids and they sound fabulous.

I'm just using my Galaxy Note 3 as source for now but this week I'm expecting to take delivery of a Fiio E18 which I'm hoping will open up the soundstage a bit. We'll see how that goes.

Somebody asked earlier if they were any good with piano. Yes, absolutely. Yann Thiersen sounds brilliant.

Mar 3, 2014 at 6:50 PM Post #18,939 of 23,366

Yeah the DT770's are the exact opposite of portable, IMO. They're gigantic, cannot be worn around the neck, cable doesn't detach, they don't fold, and don't feel terribly durable (though they don't feel flimsy).

The M100's, on the other hand, are the ultimate in portable.They tick off all seven of those criteria. They're even small enough to stick in a jacket pocket when folded up.

okay sorry but final  (2)  question, to you as well as any other m100 owners out there

can it be used for some commuting bus, subway (its not too loud up here in toronto) but definitely louder than buses

is the bass enough to drown out the the noise?

also how does it sound with bass reducer (probably for home use)? to tone down the bass in my quiet home

Mar 3, 2014 at 7:12 PM Post #18,940 of 23,366
I'm really considering exchanging my pair for a momentum over ear.

I'll have to see how much of a difference that the XL pads make.

I really enjoy the sound but I keep noticing how the lack of separation between the lows and the higher mids and highs. It's really a tough call for me.

Mar 3, 2014 at 7:24 PM Post #18,941 of 23,366

I really enjoy the sound but I keep noticing how the lack of separation between the lows and the higher mids and highs. It's really a tough call for me.

LOL...there's pretty much no such thing as the Momentum OVER ear.  Those cups are TINY...significantly smaller than even the stock M100s.  So if that's your goal, just wait till the XLs arrive...much more roomy.

Mar 3, 2014 at 7:38 PM Post #18,942 of 23,366
I'm genuinely curious what other options might compete. The Mad Dogs?

I feel the need to backtrack slightly and mention what is still my favorite headphone ever: KRK KNS-8400.

Closed: it's a studio monitor so that usually goes without saying.

Over-ear: yes, and they're among the most comfortable headphones evar. Memory foam pads and the openings are larger than the XL pads as one might expect from full-sized headphones.

Portable: close enough. They're 36 ohm nominal impedance, 97 db SPL @ 1mW. That's a really light load for a full-size, studio monitor headphone, and only a little harder to drive than M-100.

Better: this is debatable. KNS is neutral and analytical, designed to mimic the sound of KRK's monitor loudspeakers. M-100 is fun; KNS-8400 is clinical, annoyingly at times, very unforgiving of poor, dirty masters. M-100 sounds more open, like what you get from open-backed headphones. You won't mistake the KRK's for open-backed headphones.

Price: KNS has M-100 beat on this point. They list for $150. What you get for that is a lot of plastic, a band that sticks out a good two inches, and a proprietary bayonet cable connector.

Mar 3, 2014 at 7:42 PM Post #18,943 of 23,366

I bought the Momentum over ears at the apple store near me and ended up returning them the next day. I expected them to be more substantial for the price they go for. There isn't one quality about the Momentum that I could say was above mediocre. Went to Brookstone the next day and got the M100 and never looked back.

Mar 3, 2014 at 7:42 PM Post #18,944 of 23,366
I'd kinda argue that the sound part is what warrants the price difference and gives them the edge, haha. Neutral and analytical are not qualities most of us purchasing the M100's are looking for. 

Mar 3, 2014 at 8:07 PM Post #18,945 of 23,366
Neutral and analytical are not qualities most of us purchasing the M100's are looking for.

Absolutely. They're very different beasts. The one thing they have in common is clarity and on that the KRK's have an edge. But that's the thing about M-100: you're getting clarity close to a professional grade reference monitor out of prominent bass headphones. That's amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back