V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Feb 11, 2014 at 12:25 AM Post #18,468 of 23,366
Wow I got a pair of m100s two weeks ago via amazon and they were significantly different than my first pair. Swapped em with V-moda because they thought they could be fake. The ones I received from them were what I remembered. Clearly amazon got some bad units or fakes. Hopefully Val has investigated.

Feb 11, 2014 at 1:16 AM Post #18,469 of 23,366
Of course after I finally break down and order they do a valentine promotion for free faders... 

Also interesting to read that other people had issues with sound quality, seems like mine was the only one that came straight from V-MODA in the first place though. My replacement pair is awesome though.

Feb 11, 2014 at 9:47 AM Post #18,470 of 23,366
Wow I got a pair of m100s two weeks ago via amazon and they were significantly different than my first pair. Swapped em with V-moda because they thought they could be fake. The ones I received from them were what I remembered. Clearly amazon got some bad units or fakes. Hopefully Val has investigated.

I would have thought the ones I had were fake, but the particular pair I had sounded bad right out of the box, then performed normally for a few days before going bad and staying that way.

It's a peculiar issue. They don't make any weird noise or have any signal interruptions, they just sounded like a set of normally functioning pair of mediocre headphones. Anemic low end, but still reproducing all frequencies, extreme midrange scoop, harsh ~4khz spike and low fidelity overall. They also were much louder at a given volume level than they should be when functioning normally.

I'm glad you sent V-MODA your bad pair so they can look into it. When I initially contacted them about it, they were really unfamiliar with such an issue and were dismissive in a sense. Headfi members weren't familiar with this issue either. I sent my defective pair back to Amazon and left a detailed review on Amazon explicitly describing my experience and VMODA contacted me and I tried another pair directly from them. The pair from V-MODA is 100%. 

I don't know if this is a new issue, or a few bad units have been circulating for a while going unrecognised. Before I bought the M100s and I was reading about them I observed that some people didn't like the sound and had a completely polarized review and perception of them compared to the majority, they might have been listening a defective unit, but that's just a hunch/suspicion/theory. 

Feb 11, 2014 at 11:52 AM Post #18,471 of 23,366
  I would have thought the ones I had were fake, but the particular pair I had sounded bad right out of the box, then performed normally for a few days before going bad and staying that way.

It's a peculiar issue. They don't make any weird noise or have any signal interruptions, they just sounded like a set of normally functioning pair of mediocre headphones. Anemic low end, but still reproducing all frequencies, extreme midrange scoop, harsh ~4khz spike and low fidelity overall. They also were much louder at a given volume level than they should be when functioning normally.

I'm glad you sent V-MODA your bad pair so they can look into it. When I initially contacted them about it, they were really unfamiliar with such an issue and were dismissive in a sense. Headfi members weren't familiar with this issue either. I sent my defective pair back to Amazon and left a detailed review on Amazon explicitly describing my experience and VMODA contacted me and I tried another pair directly from them. The pair from V-MODA is 100%. 

I don't know if this is a new issue, or a few bad units have been circulating for a while going unrecognised. Before I bought the M100s and I was reading about them I observed that some people didn't like the sound and had a completely polarized review and perception of them compared to the majority, they might have been listening a defective unit, but that's just a hunch/suspicion/theory. 

The way you solve this issue if it is a few bad units is great customer service.  

If it is something more, such as a supplier not providing consistent parts, it can be particularly hard to pin down the problem.  I have several V-MODA products and find all of their products to be first rate in terms of quality -- and very consistent, so I don't think there is strong evidence of part problems.  They definitely need to keep consistency as part of their brand, IMO.  

Feb 11, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #18,472 of 23,366
I want to make it clear that I am not complaining in the least. I bought these headphones because of reading this thread and knowing the passion that Val (and I assume his team) puts into their products. More specifically the quality of their products. I may never buy another brand of hp just because of the respect I have for the way they do business. 

This being said I'm no audiophile, but I'm almost positive the second pair I received are not on par with the first as far as sound goes. I'm going to see if maybe I can send this pair to V-MODA and have them test it. If they feel that there is nothing wrong with them and I'm crazy then so be it, that's entirely possible.

Feb 11, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #18,474 of 23,366
  Got a pair of the xl pads on the way. Do I need to invest in a new case or does the m-100 with the xl pads still fit in the stock case?

It fits, and make sure you install the pads the flat side down.

Feb 11, 2014 at 8:48 PM Post #18,476 of 23,366

The DNAs have been passed down to my nephew, and he's extremely tough on his electronics and somehow they keep on ticking.  I wouldn't worry about durability with those.  As for the sound, the M100s are probably a bit better overall.  A much wider soundstage is the biggest advantage.  Both are extremely efficient tho and don't need an amp.  I felt the M80 needed a small one to bring out it's best (especially the low end).

oh maybe i should've held off on the noontec zoros (a year back) and just jump on the dnas, they were essentially the style i wanted plus they isolate pretty well, pretty comfortable and sounded exciting to me (forward mids and that tight bass)

but the plastic *shakes head*  vmoda makes their headphones with seemingly high quality materials and back them up with fantastic warranties. 

i guess monster spent the money towards marketing while vmoda just sits back and lets their headphones do the talking.

still wish val chipped in on the marketing thing a bit more though, aside from here on head fi i rarely see anyone wearing vmoda headphones here in toronto. (i've seen more the last year cause probably amazon dropped the price on the lps to $100) but in total i see maybe 4-5 in the last two years.

while beats are literally everywhere i walk down one street and i see so many studios and solos its not even funny

monsters i really only see dnas now (still less than beats but more than vmoda)

if they only realize that the m100s are the same price as the studios but are not made of the cheap plastic (so many youtube videos people complain about them breaking)(this is the old studios i mean)

they look nice and sound probably better (never tried so i can't say) new one is definitely improved  

Feb 12, 2014 at 11:42 AM Post #18,478 of 23,366

oh maybe i should've held off on the noontec zoros (a year back) and just jump on the dnas, they were essentially the style i wanted plus they isolate pretty well, pretty comfortable and sounded exciting to me (forward mids and that tight bass)

but the plastic *shakes head*  vmoda makes their headphones with seemingly high quality materials and back them up with fantastic warranties. 

i guess monster spent the money towards marketing while vmoda just sits back and lets their headphones do the talking.

still wish val chipped in on the marketing thing a bit more though, aside from here on head fi i rarely see anyone wearing vmoda headphones here in toronto. (i've seen more the last year cause probably amazon dropped the price on the lps to $100) but in total i see maybe 4-5 in the last two years.

while beats are literally everywhere i walk down one street and i see so many studios and solos its not even funny

monsters i really only see dnas now (still less than beats but more than vmoda)

if they only realize that the m100s are the same price as the studios but are not made of the cheap plastic (so many youtube videos people complain about them breaking)(this is the old studios i mean)

they look nice and sound probably better (never tried so i can't say) new one is definitely improved  

I'm getting mine sometime this week in the mail!! You might see me wearing one :wink:

Feb 12, 2014 at 3:49 PM Post #18,479 of 23,366
Just got my xl pads in the mail. Firstly, they made it from Cali to NJ in three days using the free shipping - so that was nice. I wish they'd shipped it in a sturdier package; it came in a flimsy vanilla envelope lined with bubble wrap. However, they came unscathed so I can't complain. 

My first reactions are extremely positive. Even with thick glasses on, these pads make the m-100 one of the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn (while still clamping tight enough to prevent sound leakage). The very edges of my ears still brush up against the driver, but I definitely don't feel like my ears are crushed up like with the normal pads.

As with most pad changes, the difference in sound is noticeable but not huge. The thing I notice the most is the added air behind the treble. This is a very welcome change for me. The bass seems tighter but the m-100 bass was already pretty well-controlled imo. I also detect a slight change in stage and separation but nothing drastic.

All those little changes add up though, even for someone like me who hasn't owned the m-100 for very long. These pads are definitely worth the money and I would have paid twice as much for them.

I also got the boom pro mic but haven't played around with it yet. 

Feb 12, 2014 at 3:56 PM Post #18,480 of 23,366
My XL's cant come soon enough (friday, but thats still not soon enough)! My ears tips are super sore from rubbing on the drivers for the last week. Thats reassuring that you've had a similar experience and love the XL's.

Who has tiny ears that fit in the regular pads anyways? =P

Users who are viewing this thread

Back