V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Feb 12, 2014 at 4:03 PM Post #18,481 of 23,366
My XL's cant come soon enough (friday, but thats still not soon enough)! My ears tips are super sore from rubbing on the drivers for the last week. Thats reassuring that you've had a similar experience and love the XL's.

Who has tiny ears that fit in the regular pads anyways? =P

Just be careful and not to rush the install.

Feb 12, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #18,482 of 23,366
Quick other update for anyone who is wondering: the boom pro mic is also awesome and worth the money for anyone who is interested imo. It picks up a lot more bass in my voice than other headsets do (I'm comparing it to a really old logitech headset and a Steelseries Siberia V2). Also, the dongle coming off the wire isn't heavy or clunky like I thought it might be judging from the pictures.

Feb 13, 2014 at 12:41 PM Post #18,483 of 23,366
Cool, Zorrofox, would love to see the black cable. I like contrasting colors with the matte black headphones, but I've also been looking to get a black cable for when I want go all Batman and get that stealthy look.

Well, the black Nuforce Transient cable arrived today. I'm bed-ridden at the moment with a slipped disk but I will get pictures up ASAP. The quality feels nice though, much preferable to the orange stock cable in my opinion. I'm sure I'm not going to miss the remote facility of that cable and it and the mic were just more things to go wrong and catch on clothing too.

I know people will laugh but I also think I can hear a subtle sonic improvement with this cable too. There seems to be more detail across the frequency spectrum but particularly the bass transients seem just that wee bit better defined. Of course this could be pure placebo. I'm conscious that with mic and remote button removed this is, even if all else was equal, a straight piece of wire now. Lol, who knows? I like the cable anyway and recommend it no problem.

Feb 13, 2014 at 1:20 PM Post #18,485 of 23,366
I know people will laugh but I also think I can hear a subtle sonic improvement with this cable too. There seems to be more detail across the frequency spectrum but particularly the bass transients seem just that wee bit better defined. Of course this could be pure placebo. I'm conscious that with mic and remote button removed this is, even if all else was equal, a straight piece of wire now. Lol, who knows? I like the cable anyway and recommend it no problem.

It doesn't have to be placebo, I've felt a change when swapping cables too on my Q40. I also tested a V-Moda cable on it but to me the V-Moda cable sounds somewhat smeared with very slight dip @ highs (we're talking like 0.5~1dB max). The nuforce have a less smeared sound to it, very good quality cable for the price, for me it's "the" cable to buy when you just want another non-expensive replacement cable and think $100+ cables are madness. :p (I also don't personally like kevlar-reinforced cables due to the cables causing annoying friction when rubbing against clothes and it also starts fraying sooner or later but that's a personal preference, for me the more slippery smooth hard rubber coating the better)

Feb 13, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #18,487 of 23,366
Well there's definitely no microphonics from the cable. I stretched for a cup of tea earlier and heard nothing. That there is a definitive test :smile:

For me the best thing about the new cable is the lack of kinks. I hated the way the orange Kevlar cable was so kinked. Just looked so messy.

On sound - I've been listening to the cans with the new cable all day and it definitely sounds better. The upper mids have taken on a bit of a sheen, in as much as they are just a bit less raspy. I'm using Neutron as my player and since getting the V-Moda's I had used the EQ to lower the sub-bass a very small amount and boost the mid-bass similarly. Well I've been thinking about that all day and I've almost got to the point where I might as well defeat the EQ all together.

Now, I'm not saying this is down to the cable. I actually suspect these cans do benefit from burn-in to a certain degree and I believe that's what has happened over the last ten days but I also believe that this cable change has highlighted this fact. That must be a good thing. For £17 I'd say it's a wise investment.

Feb 13, 2014 at 5:53 PM Post #18,488 of 23,366
It doesn't have to be placebo, I've felt a change when swapping cables too on my Q40.

A different wire will make a difference but it isn't the difference you think you're hearing. Here's a riddle: what happens when you increase the impedance on the headphones? Answer: you reduce the volume since it requires more power to drive a given SPL. Here's another riddle: what happens when you slightly decrease the impedance? Answer: you slightly increase the volume since it requires less power to drive a given SPL. To complicate this a bit, human ears are less sensitive in the midrange than to lows and highs. So, what you get is music that you perceive as "warmer" and "brighter" even though all that's really changed is the volume level. It's a trick that slimy speaker salesmen have used for decades.

Feb 13, 2014 at 6:21 PM Post #18,489 of 23,366
I get that but is it a trick or is it actuality? The effect is the same either way. Actually, I'm not so sure I do understand what you're saying. Why are ears less sensitive in the mid-range? That seems a tad counter-intuitive. I know, for instance that my hearing's not so good at the upper edge and so I adapt to it. Therefore any change I perceive in a given system can only really be proven by me but, for me, it's a valid change. I don't really know what in trying to say really.

As I get older I find an increasing amount of semantics in hi-fi.

Feb 13, 2014 at 6:22 PM Post #18,490 of 23,366
Can't wait to see some pictures of the M-100 with the NuForce transient cable. I'm curious as to whether that cable reduces micro phonics compared to the stock Kevlar cables.

Very little microphonics with the NuForce cable.  I am currently using it with the M80 and the cable-borne sound is  very quiet while walking around.  Very different from the Kevlar stock cable, which needs a shirt clip to stop the "buzz buzz" sounds from happening. 

Feb 13, 2014 at 7:18 PM Post #18,492 of 23,366
There is an 0.2m length but you don't want that -- that is for a DAP-amp interconnect.

The 1.5m is a little longer than the stock M100 cable but is good.  I like it for walking around.  The cord hangs down straight, and with a DAP/phone in the left pants pocket, the loopback happens above my left knee. 

Feb 13, 2014 at 8:16 PM Post #18,493 of 23,366
Wrong forum. Ignore.

Feb 13, 2014 at 10:37 PM Post #18,495 of 23,366
Hey zorrofox when can we expect to see a picture of the M-100 with the nuforce cable?
smily_headphones1.gif

While you're waiting, you can always peep DrSheep's older pic here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back